Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,800 members, 7,844,608 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? (19702 Views)

When You Leave School, The First Thing On Your To-do List Shouldn't Be NYSC / Why And How Do You Loose Your Last Job / 'I Left My Last Job Because My Boss Put His Hands On A Female Employee' - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 24, 2019
My boss was all over me and she wasn't in anyway attractive, and she was married..
Employmenthub:
This is a very tactic questions for applicant especially when they are fired from their previous job.
To answer this tricky question, let's start with things you shouldn't say!.

*Do not say things that express negativity towards your old employer, the recruiter see this as a red flag, they will see you as someone who is bitter and negative and you would not he hired. Ensure your language is neutral and try to be calm.

*Do not over load the interviewer with details and in depth reasons, don't sound defensive and go into details of what happen from your own side of the story.

* You should not lie about the reason you left your old job but be very smart with how you tell the truth! Lying could hurt you if they do a reference check and trust me, most organisations do!. What I mean by being smart about telling the truth is.... not lying but not saying the intended truth...for examples. You don't want to tell the recruiter you left your previous job because you got a better pay in another company, they feel you are all about the money even though that's one the big reasons we work. You could say you left because you got a more challenging job that put your talents into resourceful use and in the previous job your talents was not fully utilised. Or better still you could say because the reward do not commensurate the effort and your cost of service compared to the pay do not leave anything to save. That is a smart truth!. ( but this is when you left the company on your own)

*Do not feel awkward when answering the question try to be calm, your body language could mean you are lying even when you are telling the truth and being nervous denotes a lack of confident in the eye of the employer.

What you should do

*Tell the truth and be Honest. It always pay
*Always give detail not a novel you dont have to tell the whole story in other to make sense that's not the best use of your interview time.
*whatever reasons given, ensure you go back to why you are the suitable candidate for the position they are hiring for. Your focus is not on your old job but this one so stop spending time why you left the old job and start convincing to why you are better at this new job.

If you are fire because your performance was bad.
Do not lie about it. Remember, say the truth smartly. You do not want to say you could not perform because you don't know how to do your task well ...... the recruiter will you as unteachable and someone who does not want to learn.

Answer like this: After some management changes it become clearer that the new director had new expectations for my role that was didnt line up with my strengths so he eventually brought in someone from the previous company who had more experience. This experience taught me that my real talents is (the position you are applying for) I would like to discuss my expertise if you like.

Employmenthub is a CV builder hub where we make professional CV for experienced and inexperienced applicant to get them interview for their dream job @ the lowest rate, our services speaks for us. We also send free job vacancies to all our client, do preliminary interviews, training applicant on how to answer all interview questions before the real interview sessions.

Follow us on instagram: @employment_hub, whatsapp 08080756701 or call....

Tell a friend to tell a friend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by airminem(f): 9:18am On Nov 24, 2019
Ejadike:
Most of the people commenting obviously didn't read the post. Nobody asked you to tell your story, the op was only teaching you guys how to answer "why did you leave your job" question during an interview. Smh
and the topic?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by brownemmanuel43(m): 9:22am On Nov 24, 2019
tropaz:
PEOPLE DON'T LEAVE BAD JOBS, THEY ONLY LEAVE A TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT!!!

#ELELE
Gbam, u have said it all. My last place of work was hell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by usman3688(m): 9:24am On Nov 24, 2019
tropaz:
PEOPLE DON'T LEAVE BAD JOBS, THEY ONLY LEAVE A TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT!!!

#ELELE

U hit the nail on the head. I'm presently in that kind of work environment and hopefully I'll leave soon cos I can cope with it.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by thesmallgod(m): 9:26am On Nov 24, 2019
wunmi590:
shocked

Hmmm, what can I say, honestly since I left FCMB, other jobs I have been getting are just crap.

I left my last retail company as the head of administration/facility maintenance manager, just because:

1. I have an abusive female bosses (Both the mother and the daughter, mother the MD while daughter the head of operations.
2. You can imagine a boss sending you home to your parent with all kind if abuse.
3. My heart always beep when I want to leave home for work just because of fear.
4. I was under pay with huge responsibility 100k
5. I work from Monday to Saturday, no time for myself.

Luckily for me, I got another job, a retail company again as the head and supervisor of a store branch, same treatment as above.

You can imagine a graduate being sent to buy Eba, moimoi and all kind of food from mama put grin

Generally female boss are just mean, sometimes money is not all, you just have to know your worth before you develope hypertension.

What is the essence of earning big and you are not enjoying what you are earning.

No time for yourself not to talk of family.

All company is a barrack, soldier go soldier come, no company is worth dieing for, no matter how much they pay you, if you are being treated badly just like the above except your own company or family company.
This is very common and especially if it is a family or one man business. Workers are treated like slaves and you will always be at their mercy when you need your salary to be paid.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by philip0906(m): 9:27am On Nov 24, 2019
Lynx001:
It was my first job. I just left skul. My pay was 5k.(not per week oo). Per mönth. my boss used his house as his base.
job description. Package perfume oil in customized packs. Then deliver around PH. He told me that he did nt have tym to do his house chores which was only to wash plate only. I agreed since its only to wash plate and he added 2k öntop My Pay. His family pipul took advantage of it.
i started washìng plate. No p.
im mama go tell me to weed d compound. Wash toilet. Mop house. Cut ugwu. select beans. Clean snail. Anytym call enter 4 me to deliver perfume i go happy. As i left hìs hauz (our company) to deliver d product I will waste tym so that i will com back late. i will trek frm rumuola to garrisön. If d delivery take me to govt house area i go enter spar rest. lie say na traffic. God help me i lèft there.
grin
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Golden75(m): 9:39am On Nov 24, 2019
Ejadike:
Most of the people commenting obviously didn't read the post. Nobody asked you to tell your story, the op was only teaching you guys how to answer "why did you leave your job" question during an interview. Smh
Oga allow them to keep sharing their experience Biko, we are learning from it, and also makes d thread more interesting, meanwhile u re free to share urs too, thanks

9 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by philip0906(m): 9:41am On Nov 24, 2019
airminem:
and the topic?
Lol...valid question

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Kylekent59: 9:42am On Nov 24, 2019
Let us discuss about John and see if he's gaining or losing.

John works at a company.

John earns 120k monthly

Expenses

He spends 1k to and fro

He spends # 700 on food and water

He subscribes 2k for his Internet

He shops every month with 10k

He spends 5k monthly on deodorants and soaps

He pays 3k monthly for electricity

He pays 1k monthly for security

He pays 12k as tithe

He spends 2k monthly for maintenance of house hold equipment

He spends 10k on dstv suscription

He pays 12,500 on house rent monthly

He sends 20k to his siblings monthly

He sends 10k to his parent monthly

He spends 5k on other expensive on visiting friends on transportation

He also spends 10k on a tour

Total monthly expenses = #104, 200

monthly Salary = #120,000

Savings = 120,000 - 104,200

= #15, 800

In a year you would save up to 15,800 x 12 = 189,600

Which is not even up to a wedding expenses even if you save the next 4 years of your salary.

If you were John, would you continue with the Job or quit the job?

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by blinking001(m): 9:47am On Nov 24, 2019
My boss's fiancee was my supervisor. She was so in love with me that I was promoted to a rank I didnt deserve. Initially i thought I merited it only for me to discover that my supervisor was in love with me and had masterminded everything. She started making advances. I even had to take her out just to make my intentions known respectfully but she didnt listen. After thinking deep I decided to resign just to avoid future problems. It was tough initially for me after my resignation, had some bills to settle, no money for weekend flexing and all that. But God still made a way and am back on my feet now.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by HenryThegreat1(m): 9:50am On Nov 24, 2019
Kylekent59:

John works at a company.

John earns 120k monthly

Expenses

He spends 1k to and fro

He pays 12k as tithe

= #15, 800

Which is not even up to a wedding expenses even if you save the next 4 years of your salary.

. Why should John be spending extravagantly because of 120k job?
I'm earning 150k, my house rent is around 230k, my transport to and fro is maximum 700, I carry food from house, electricity, gotv, data, security, lawma, and water bills 7k.

14 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Kylekent59: 9:56am On Nov 24, 2019
HenryThegreat1:
I'm earning 150k, my house rent is around 230k, my transport to and fro is maximum 700, I carry food from house, electricity, gotv, data, security, lawma, and water bills 7k.

"TOMI'S TREATS LIMITED" Pays you 150k you shouldn't be very stingy, you need to take responsibilities by sharing part of your salary to your siblings and parent.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by LORDKing001: 10:00am On Nov 24, 2019
HenryThegreat1:
Point out the extravagancy

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Samuels90: 10:00am On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
Well said, but unfortunately, all they want to offer to a computer is how to press computer and be using computer wifi to be posting pictures on Facebook, Instagram and browsing pictures of hot boys and hot girls, so they won't heed to your advice angry angry
using of Wi-Fi outside work related is wrong, I agree with you tho... Guess u ve had encounter with workers, You stressing on it seriously franchasng grin
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Golden75(m): 10:08am On Nov 24, 2019
anochuko01:

Hope you know that there's a PEAK point for this practice?

There's a point an employee gets that he would not be able to command certain amount as salary, no matter his age and experience.

This applies to jobs that require little expertise. That's why no matter how much some people change jobs, they may never earn 200k upwards.

For example, A regular office assistant may never earn as much as 200k because it requires less expertise, and cheaper alternatives are surplus.

My point is that, you should find something that'll make you an expert in your field. Get Certifications and master the latest tools that are required in your Field.

If these two are in place, youll get a very good job within three months.
Exactly, I could relate vividly, thanks, bro ready to work with this philosophy wholeheartedly, till we meet at d pipeline
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Fidelismaria: 10:09am On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
Well said, but unfortunately, all they want to offer to a computer is how to press computer and be using computer wifi to be posting pictures on Facebook, Instagram and browsing pictures of hot boys and hot girls, so they won't heed to your advice angry angry

Lol

Everyone now wants to press computer under A.C while surfing the internet with free WIFI

grin
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by HenryThegreat1(m): 10:18am On Nov 24, 2019
Kylekent59:

"TOMI'S TREATS LIMITED" Pays you 150k you shouldn't be very stingy, you need to take responsibilities by sharing part of your salary to your siblings and parent.
. I'm not working with Tomi's Treats Limited. I wasn't even interview that day because I walkaway. Why should I mention what I spent for parents, siblings and friends here. That should be confidential.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Sirwallace(m): 10:26am On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
Because when you hear a Nigerian graduate tell you that she or he is looking for a good job, all he or she want is a job where he or she will be pressing computer and be receiving like 300k salary every month, then you will see him or her rushing to give big testimony in Church of how God has blessed him or her with good job angry angry

I hired a guy, his job role clearly defined he has nothing to do with computer, few months later, he Emailed me requesting that he would love to be transferred to computer department, what nonsense is that angry angry angry

Bros, it depends on what you do on a computer.
A developer, project designer or data analyst will do more tasky jobs than a receptionist who only type memos or work on a spreadsheets and a factory hand who work with heavy equipments.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by franchasng: 10:26am On Nov 24, 2019
Samuels90:
using of Wi-Fi outside work related is wrong, I agree with you tho... Guess u ve had encounter with workers, You stressing on it seriously franchasng grin
Yes that's the dream job of Nigerian graduates nowadays. A job that will pay them 10 figures abi what do they even call it, and ask them the expertise or skill or value they are bringing to offer to the company to help the company grow I am a computer literate, I can browse the internet very well, I am good with social media....so the expertise you have that you want to bring to a company is how to be pressing computer in an air-conditioned office and be receiving fat salary

Once they don't get the job that allows them to be pressing computer and be snapping selfie and be posting online, they start to feel frustrated and start to move from one Church miracle center to another looking for a miracle job angry angry

Honestly, most Nigerians of our time are lazy.....they hate to work....the kind of job they want and desire is computer pressing work with fat pay...no Nigerian youth want to dig the soil again or handle spanner or handle machine, everybody want to be pressing computer and be receiving big salary for pressing computer, its ridiculous angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by HenryThegreat1(m): 10:33am On Nov 24, 2019
LORDKing001:

Point out the extravagancy
1. 1k for transport to and fro? Some distance need to trek to save cost.
2. Shop every month? Must he shop every month?
3. Imagine 5k for deodorants?
4. 10k for DStv subscription? Hmm big man!
5. Friends visit 5k. Must he always do that?
6. 10k on a tour to where? Hmm rich man.
Remember the job can go anytime o.

16 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Samuels90: 10:35am On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
Yes that's the dream job of Nigerian graduates nowadays. A job that will pay them 10 figures abi what do they even call it, and ask them the expertise or skill or value they are bringing to offer to the company to help the company grow I am a computer literate, I can browse the internet very well, I am good with social media....so the expertise you have that you want to bring to a company is how to be pressing computer in an air-conditioned office and be receiving fat salary

Once they don't get the job that allows them to be pressing computer and be snapping selfie and be posting online, they start to fee frustrated and start to move from one Church miracle center to another looking for a miracle job angry angry

Honestly, most Nigerians of our time are lazy.....they hate to work....they kind of job they want and desire is computer pressing work with fat pay...no Nigerian youth want to dig the soil again or handle spanner or handle machine, everybody want to be pressing computer and be receiving big salary for pressing computer, its ridiculous angry angry
grin grin grin franchasng don't kill me with laff.... Pressing computer, u said that like 5 times, i still agree with you.. Blessed sunday to you

3 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 24, 2019
HenryThegreat1:

Not that easy bro, your own better sha,my NEPA bill-5-8k , security-1k,gotv-3200, data-2k,card-2k, house rent-192k but savings no be here, salary a little above yours
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by passionberry(f): 11:02am On Nov 24, 2019
wunmi590:
shocked

Hmmm, what can I say, honestly since I left FCMB, other jobs I have been getting are just crap.

I left my last retail company as the head of administration/facility maintenance manager, just because:

1. I have an abusive female bosses (Both the mother and the daughter, mother the MD while daughter the head of operations.
2. You can imagine a boss sending you home to your parent with all kind if abuse.
3. My heart always beep when I want to leave home for work just because of fear.
4. I was under pay with huge responsibility 100k
5. I work from Monday to Saturday, no time for myself.

Luckily for me, I got another job, a retail company again as the head and supervisor of a store branch, same treatment as above.

You can imagine a graduate being sent to buy Eba, moimoi and all kind of food from mama put grin

Generally female boss are just mean, sometimes money is not all, you just have to know your worth before you develope hypertension.

What is the essence of earning big and you are not enjoying what you are earning.

No time for yourself not to talk of family.

All company is a barrack, soldier go soldier come, no company is worth dieing for, no matter how much they pay you, if you are being treated badly just like the above except your own company or family company.
grin am tellng you,some employers can be so annoying wit d kind of errand dey send person..e remain mek dem send person to go wash their pants.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by StudentsNG: 11:17am On Nov 24, 2019
It was yesterday, just yesterday that I resigned from a $63k job at a privately owned multinational company.

I left because I got a better offer (better salary, extended health insurance coverage and very good pension benefits - plus an underground parking, a private office, I so needed that!) with the government.

* If you live in a -30 degree temperature zone you’ll better understand why the underground parking was an attraction for me wink

Government is considered the best and most stable employer in Canada; and besides, with a masters in public administration obtained here in Canada, I couldn’t help but return to the government. I had my first experience there anyways, plus I left some pension contribution behind.

I didn’t leave for the money, I left for the career prospects down the line.

8 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by uniqueobserver1: 11:29am On Nov 24, 2019
Kylekent59:

John works at a company.

John earns 120k monthly

Expenses

He spends 1k to and fro

He pays 12k as tithe

= #15, 800

Nonsense analysis.
Cut your coat according to your size. What would John need Dstv for if he has other more pressing expenses to take care of? Some of the expenses you mentioned above are totally not necessary unless the John na person wet like frivolities.

8 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by uniqueobserver1: 11:29am On Nov 24, 2019
Kylekent59:

John works at a company.

John earns 120k monthly

Expenses

He spends 1k to and fro

He pays 12k as tithe

= #15, 800

Nonsense analysis.
Cut your coat according to your size. What would John need Dstv for if he has other more pressing expenses to take care of? Some of the expenses you mentioned above are totally not necessary unless the John na person wey like frivolities.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by Kylekent59: 11:38am On Nov 24, 2019
uniqueobserver1:

Nonsense analysis.
Cut your coat according to your size. What would John need Dstv for if he has other more pressing expenses to take care of? Some of the expenses you mentioned above are totally not necessary unless the John na person wey like frivolities.

Don't be stingy in life, learn how to spend.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by wunmi590(m): 11:40am On Nov 24, 2019
passionberry:
grin am tellng you,some employers can be so annoying wit d kind of errand dey send person..e remain mek dem send person to go wash their pants.

My sister, nah so we dey manage our Nigerian employer 000 angry

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by RxSameer(m): 11:40am On Nov 24, 2019
Kylekent59:

John works at a company.

John earns 120k monthly

Expenses

He spends 1k to and fro

He pays 12k as tithe

= #15, 800

then I guess John dosent need an accountant to tell him he needs to cut down on his expenses he could gain about 30 - 40k monthly wen he cuts down on his expenditure

4 Likes

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by wunmi590(m): 11:41am On Nov 24, 2019
thesmallgod:

This is very common and especially if it is a family or one man business. Workers are treated like slaves and you will always be at their mercy when you need your salary to be paid.

Truth be told, when it comes to salary, the are the fastest.

The salary is the only reason people endure for sometimes and plan before leaving.

And you know what, that constant salary payment is what they use to convince people too.
Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by wunmi590(m): 11:42am On Nov 24, 2019
fatymore:
your story sounds familiar

Lol, that's Nigeria for you my sister

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? by wunmi590(m): 11:42am On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:
Lol serious suffer o, dont worry you will laugh about it in years to come...mehn!!

Amen my sister, thanks so much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Michele Ekure Receives AIT Staff From ICT Department / Skye Bank Sacks 50 Workers / I Was Mocked And Tagged 'stupid', Says Airport Security Who Returned Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.