Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,190 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ (45482 Views)

3 University Of Ibadan Postgraduate Students Graduate With Perfect CGPA Of 7.0 / Can I Go For Masters Degree With A Cgpa Of 2.93? / My Mum Is Making Me Depressed With What She Said To Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by ajokeade920: 12:08am On Nov 25, 2019
SenecaTheYonger:
Audio depression.
Lmao grin grin which one be audio depression again .na wa o grin grin
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by MartinOk: 12:14am On Nov 25, 2019
Ithream:
Just about yesterday after speaking with my Class advicer, I was left in a depressed state.

I am currently on my 400level IT and I am to return back to school this coming new year by January. He told me about my result. He said my CGPA is the highest so far. Which makes me his best student. I asked him for the exact CGPA which he replied with with a *4.06*. My God I wondered why he was glad to break such a sad news to me. I thought I had chances of making it a 4.1+ the previous semester. I told him thanks. But I know I wasn't Happy sad

I did the maths...and I found out that the highest CGPA I can make is 4.2+ after my final year(2 semesters left) I feel terrible right now. How can I shift it to 4.3+ Cgpa? I have heard of students borrowing courses but I don't really know if this could be one of their reasons for doing such.

NB: I am not in anyway trying to make it look like having such a CGPA is bad or I am ungrateful. It's just that I have plans of applying for scholarships to study abroad but won't such a Gp hinder me?

Pls I need someone to placate me with motivational words. I feel like a looser. After all these years of studies! What if I loose the passion for school or studies after returning next year? I feel real bad sad sad

What if I might even loose the chance of being the best graduating student of my set like my class adviser had said
sad sad

Most scholarships (above 80%) require a minimum 4.0 CGPA on a 5.0 scale. So you just have to maintain your grades or go higher. There are great opportunities out there, so don't let the self-imposed depression hold you back.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by azibit: 12:17am On Nov 25, 2019
Hi,
I am wishing you all the very best you can get in this world and in the hereafter. If you need to apply for scholarships after your first degree, you need more than a high CGPA to achieve that. Here are some things I suggest you focus on.
1. If you want to study in the US, you need to prepare for exams like the GRE and the IELTS, those are some of the qualities that schools seek in excellent students
2. Be an all-round student, participate in leadership activities that seek to help not just yourself, but also seeks to develop other people.
3. Learn as much programming skills as you can even if you are not a programmer, every field these days need some form of programming.
4. Form wonderful relationships with your professors so they can write good recommendations when you need them.
5. So many more things I believe you can work on.
6. Take more online courses in your field and begin to form your network especially on LinkedIn.

You can reach out to me on Linkedin on https://www.linkedin.com/in/azibit/

I know it can be difficult especially when you have high hopes for good grades and do not just happen. Keep pushing my friend, greatness awaits you and do not let this stop you.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by MrNice001(m): 12:28am On Nov 25, 2019
Why careless your post grammatic verbi
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by seguno2: 12:45am On Nov 25, 2019
Gerrard59:
Bill Gates - Harvard University

Jeff Bezos - Princeton University

Mark Zuckerberg - Harvard University.

Why should someone from a university in Nigeria compare him/herself to those people?

Please add Seun Osewa- OAU, Ife

1 Like

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by seguno2: 12:48am On Nov 25, 2019
Gerrard59:
That's a good CGPA. You are qualified for almost every scholarship except where it's explicitly stated that only first class graduates should apply - which is a rarity. Aside academics, develop yourself with relevant, starting an enterprise, publications, attending conferences, work experience, be informed etc.

Trust me, you'd be alright.

P.S. Try to ensure you finish your final year with an almost perfect CGPA (5.0 in both semesters). It will be very important for assistantships and sponsorship for graduate studies. What's your major?

Excellent advice, especially the bold part.
Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by JediB(f): 2:21am On Nov 25, 2019
Listen op, all you fear, will never happen... Take that from someone who was in the same shoes (13 years ago, finished top of my class, CGPA 4.18 and felt the sky is no limit)

Do not fall into that trap of believing a school grade is the be all and end all of your dreams and aspirations for it is not. From my experience, it only portrays you as one who successfully adapted and succeeded at your school and department's yardstick for measuring success. Unfortunately, it is not the same with the larger society you are headed for...

For now, celebrate yourself, all the long nights of study, classes etc,some did the same and don't have results commensurate with the effort they put in, some could not finish, some had resits, some even died... So you have sth to rejoice about and take pride in...give thanks

Focus on your service year, what you want to do and how. Start setting your goals - personal, social and financial. Decide if, where and when you want to further. If you cannot influence where you would be serving,start your research on the opportunities for pp (private practice) in the northern, eastern, Western and southern states, learn the local lingo and prepare to adapt your learning and education to serve wherever you are posted...you will be surprised just how many can benefit from your level of education.

One day at a time, my friend... Life got plans for you too, but not it's best when depression obtains.

So says one who has walked a similar path, stumbled here and there, but succeeded eventually.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by HacheNoire: 2:59am On Nov 25, 2019
This should be in the jokes section.

Op's plight is just too funny.

Who told him it's CGPA that makes things happen?

He will realize when he gets to the labor market.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by rolams(m): 3:55am On Nov 25, 2019
Ithream:
Just about yesterday after speaking with my Class advicer, I was left in a depressed state.

I am currently on my 400level IT and I am to return back to school this coming new year by January. He told me about my result. He said my CGPA is the highest so far. Which makes me his best student. I asked him for the exact CGPA which he replied with with a *4.06*. My God I wondered why he was glad to break such a sad news to me. I thought I had chances of making it a 4.1+ the previous semester. I told him thanks. But I know I wasn't Happy sad

I did the maths...and I found out that the highest CGPA I can make is 4.2+ after my final year(2 semesters left) I feel terrible right now. How can I shift it to 4.3+ Cgpa? I have heard of students borrowing courses but I don't really know if this could be one of their reasons for doing such.

NB: I am not in anyway trying to make it look like having such a CGPA is bad or I am ungrateful. It's just that I have plans of applying for scholarships to study abroad but won't such a Gp hinder me?

Pls I need someone to placate me with motivational words. I feel like a looser. After all these years of studies! What if I loose the passion for school or studies after returning next year? I feel real bad sad sad

What if I might even loose the chance of being the best graduating student of my set like my class adviser had said
sad sad

You are an ingrate. Somebody wey get 2.5 nko make that one go die? Be greatful to God and move on. It happened to me before and I just moved on. Remember, this is Nigeria, your skill will speak for you if you know how to use it well
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by back2sender: 4:07am On Nov 25, 2019
I had 4.4 out of 5 , so what will I do? Kill myself? This was in 1999 when I left school.
Just be focus n wish you the best
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by trilobite: 4:10am On Nov 25, 2019
You are very okay scholarship wise if you ask me. Just maintain it above 4.00 and you will be fine.

Masters scholarships these days are no longer about CGPA but your research ability. Schools and supervisors are looking for students who can contribute to their international standing.

I know 2.2 graduates who published good papers and got good scholarships, and arenjow being begged with lecturing jobs in their host universities after graduating.

So maintain your CGPA, and use your NYSC period try to publish some papers which will stand you out in any scholarship application.

You are fine, don't worry.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by Zeezyo: 5:24am On Nov 25, 2019
seuncyrus:

Are you serious shocked shocked No job with a first class ??

I mean it...i have his cv cos we both jobhunt
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by Neduh(m): 5:25am On Nov 25, 2019
Dis guy is seeking attention....its not by grade but by grace....
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by hope4nigeria(m): 5:30am On Nov 25, 2019
Ithream:

sad sad
God once kill Israelites just because of this singular act, since you are depressed, make use of sniper, I'm waiting to type RIP for you, since you cannot appreciate God on anything. Even the life you are living will depress you.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by harry2sexy(m): 5:41am On Nov 25, 2019
Ithream:

sad sad
Op I know how you feel, probably not all that well-to-do, so a full scholarship grant is your only way to jet out of Nigeria but funny thing is u will get a full scholarship, that's if you humble yourself and ask those that have gone ahead of you how it is done cos I know you are very proud.

Funny thing is graduating as the best doesn't guarantee a permanent residency in those first World Countries you're aiming for cos first off, you're not even their citizen, so here's what you do.

You develop yourself to a level where your soft and hard skill is visible before anyone even knows you're black or white, wish you goodluck

2 Likes

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by ikhalyfah(m): 5:50am On Nov 25, 2019
U need motivational words: well, in ur class ain't some struggling with points below 3? Is it that Got hate them and He likes u? NO! So better be grateful. I mean how can u have over 4 and still be unhappy? U are only deceiving yourself when by simply looking at the positive aspect u will be much happy and give thanks to God. i understand u are applying for scholarship, but did u know if u stick to what God give u and be happy, God has a way of giving u much more greater opportunities, Beyond ur imagination.
Honestly, being unhappy shows lack of gratitude to God, on top that, u are top of the class. Common on man!
In my religion, God says: "If you give gratitude and appreciation to Me, I'll give u more, while if u disbelieve, My punishment is the most severe"
Don't let God punish u because of ur lack of contentment and gratitude.
Peace
Ithream:

sad sad

1 Like

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by ikhalyfah(m): 5:52am On Nov 25, 2019
hope4nigeria:
God once kill Israelites just because of this singular act, since you are depressed, make use of sniper, I'm waiting to type RIP for you, since you cannot appreciate God on anything. Even the life you are living will depress you.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by ikhalyfah(m): 5:53am On Nov 25, 2019
I never wanted to read d thread when it made 1st page since yesterday, but out of curiosity i decided to open and see who is this ungrateful fellow and what is he saying
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by Nobody: 6:01am On Nov 25, 2019
Guy things are really different outside here,i graduated not with distinction or upper. I initially thought there was no future for me. I have been working for some years now and to an extent am not doing bad. I also have businesses. Good grade is good if you can attain it but if you can't don't kill yourself,it does not determine your success or failure in life. If you are really good what is in you will showcase you no matter what.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by Niorte: 6:16am On Nov 25, 2019
Hello Op

I was once in your shoes. It can be depressing when you set a target for yourself from the beginning and could not meet the set target after a lot of discipline, self denial and hardwork. But do not worry.

I plan to graduate with a first class but graduated with a CGPA of 4.36. It was not my fault as the school system was unfavourable to me partly due to the fact that I was a direct entry student from the polytechnic and also due to wrong computation of my results all through the year of study until final year. Even the school result and my department results did not tally.

I was mad at myself for having a 4.36 but just like you who think ahead. Since I knew I could not graduate with a first class.....I used my final year to take up so many leadership positions which make my CV very competitive with first class graduate. It makes me a well rounded person.

I was the drama coordinator in my school fellowship. (This shows my creative and artistic side)

I was the fellowship bus and building committee chairman (this shows I can be trusted and can deliver result )

I was the head of committee set up to organise departmental week (this shows I am organised and a team player)

I was one of the agents for departmental election
(This shows I am politically inclined)

After all said and done. I don't use 4.36 in my CV but rather put CGPA of 87.2%

I hope you can draw some strength from this.

Don't be depressed what is yours will be yours

1 Like

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by ola9ja(m): 6:19am On Nov 25, 2019
You are absolutely correct, but I have seen more third class people and people who didn't even finish school than people with higher grades having so many staffs in their own organization ....... Though I love the guys zeal for a higher 4point , we all want something different in our lives..... Our pursuit is different.

As for me I want money and School does not bring money in most cases.

So I looked out for a legitimately way of making the money...... And I'm happy on the part I'm going.

If the guy is happy on is part, good for him. But take depression out of it.

generationz:

You won't blame him.

When you set your mind to something and can't achieve it despite all the hard work it can be depressing.

He actually has a good attitude towards success. This is the attitude expected of him right now in school.

When he comes out that will take care of itself.

Let us not glorify mediocrity.

There are many bright students looking for jobs yes, but also many more who have achieved things faster than their peers with sheer determination and will power.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by DaddyNimo(m): 6:20am On Nov 25, 2019
Ithream:

sad sad
what's doing this one....
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by galadima77(m): 6:43am On Nov 25, 2019
chinwezdasilva:
You will be more depressed when You don't get a job with this your high cgpa.

In this country you need a high cgpa in mental stability if not....... Make I no talk

Don't depend on a high cgpa quoting His Excellency

A country is where we are supposed to be living and not surviving...

Lastly we need men with high cgpa in true leadership, brave people that would put an end to this high cgpa of misrule...

I stand with high cgpa of living and not surviving

I really don't understand how our society honors success in life compared to those of academics.

OP, If you're half as smart as you want us to believe, you would have personally calculated and monitored your cgpa from 100 level till date via every result and it's respective credit unit. And not wait till 400 level before someone tells you your cgpa.

I don't buy into your depression story. I'm sorry
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by chinwezdasilva: 6:48am On Nov 25, 2019
galadima77:

I really don't understand how our society honors success in life compared to those of academics.

If you're half as smart as you want us to believe, you would have personally calculated and monitored your cgpa from 100 level till date via every result and it's respective credit unit. And not wait till 400 level before someone tells you your cgpa.

I don't buy into your depression story. I'm sorry
I guess it should be for the op not me
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by galadima77(m): 7:03am On Nov 25, 2019
chinwezdasilva:

I guess it should be for the op not me

Yes na...i like your submission though
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by chinwezdasilva: 7:12am On Nov 25, 2019
galadima77:

Yes na...i like your submission though
Actually I had a great cgpa as well but I have more cgpa when it comes to mental stability.. So when iSee someone saying high cgpa I always want them to know it's not also easy with that.. I studied because I wanted to know more of what I didn't know that was how I got a high cgpa... Infact too many things to say.. I wish him Goodluck in all his endeavors because I appreciate brilliant people
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by SenecaTheYonger: 7:14am On Nov 25, 2019
ajokeade920:
Lmao grin grin which one be audio depression again .na wa o grin grin

Lol na show-off depression oh.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by Kakamorufu(m): 7:31am On Nov 25, 2019
BETTER MANAGE AM. WE WEY GET 3.20 COMOT UNIVERSITY NEVER DIE KEH
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by youngemperor(m): 7:32am On Nov 25, 2019
Whats is the difference between 4.2 and 4.3? Are they not second class upper? With cgpa of 4.2,you can do your masters at any university of your choice around the world.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by galadima77(m): 7:41am On Nov 25, 2019
chinwezdasilva:

Actually I had a great cgpa as well but I have more cgpa when it comes to mental stability.. So when iSee someone saying high cgpa I always want them to know it's not also easy with that.. I studied because I wanted to know more of what I didn't know that was how I got a high cgpa... Infact too many things to say.. I wish him Goodluck in all his endeavors because I appreciate brilliant people

I do too. Thanks
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by shomutuski(m): 7:45am On Nov 25, 2019
falcon01:
oga your CGPA doesn't determine your success, if you like depress and die it in as much you fall under first class, 2.1 or 2.2 you are good to go.. even third class and pass can and will make it in life.

Leave mumu make he they cry!!! I would die to have 4point GPA. I've graduated already with a 2.2 ooo and i focused on my IT skills.

Today that's the skill that's about to take me out of thi Nigeria forever.... Insha Allah by June 2020.
Re: I Feel Depressed With A CGPA Of 4.2+ by shomutuski(m): 7:45am On Nov 25, 2019
there's no yardstick to measure success, just be happy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Uniabuja Tallest Student “evidence” Shows Off His Modelling Skills In New Photos / Pictures Of Bayero University, Kano / Lasu Post Utme 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.