Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know (17656 Views)

Used Car Price In The USA / Negotiating Bends At High Speed / How Do I Register A Dealer Plate Number. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Carmartng: 11:58am On Nov 25, 2019
How To Negotiate A Car Price With A Seller: Negotiating Like A Pro

Chances are that you have had to negotiate item prices a couple of times in your life. Negotiating is part of our daily life. The seller wants their item to sell at a profitable price, you want to buy at the lowest reasonable price. So, you both start haggling back and forth until you find a mutually satisfactory bargain. Negotiating is involved in every trade, even when you want to buy a car.

For brand new cars, there might not be enough space to negotiate prices. There is always a standard market price or something like it. If you want to buy used cars, however, you are on fertile ground for price negotiations. You can even find used cars for sale online or offline.

So, do you want to buy a used car without being overcharged? Do you want to know how to handle car price negotiations like a pro whether it is your first time it not? Well, you have come to the right place.

Do your homework thoroughly: Research like crazy
This is the very first step for obvious reasons. You want to have an idea of what car you to buy its price range before you walk to a car dealership. Otherwise, they will eat you raw, eat your money raw, all with smiling faces. Don't blame them though. Just like you, they are trying to get the best price they can get from the car sale.

Visit websites that have used cars for sale. Research on different car models and their prices. Most preferably, the particular brand of a used car that you want. This independent research gives you an idea of what to expect.

When you're going to buy your car at the dealership, go there like someone that knows their onions.

Do your fieldwork thoroughly: Visit different dealerships
This always works.

Visiting different dealerships would help you get the best deals. In fact, If you can even drop hints about how you have been to other dealerships and how you might return to them if you're not satisfied with the car price your current dealership is offering. The negotiator would then be trying to beat the prices of dealerships.

Stay level headed. Don't fall for sweet words
After you have done your research and are well armed with all the knowledge and facts that you need, the last thing you need is for your emotions to ruin things for you.

The car sales representative or the car seller (or whoever you're negotiating with) would definitely try to sweet talk you into getting the car at their own price. It is their responsibility. However, it is also your responsibility to remain calm and focused.

If you did your research well, there's most likely nothing they would tell you about the car that you didn't already know. Stick to the facts of your research.

Know when to make your purchase
There are times when you would most likely get the best deals. This is when you should visit a dealership to buy used cars. You can also buy new cars at these periods but remember I said earlier that there usually isn't much to negotiate on new cars.

For instance, dealerships often have timely sales goals to meet. It could be in every four months, 6 months or annually. Visiting them towards the end of these periods could increase your chances of getting better deals.

Also, buying on a weekend is out of it. During workdays, most dealerships often have fewer customers. So, when you visit on a workday you would have more time to convince the negotiator.

Negotiate the price in bits
The car seller would want you to negotiate the total price. You should not allow this. Negotiate every stated price every step of the way. This may take a lot of time but it would be worth it eventually.

Look out for imperfections
Inspect the car thoroughly. Especially if you're buying a used car, check for scratches, damages, or just about anything that gives you a hint about the past of the car.

You may be asking yourself, "why do I need to look for imperfections on the car I want to buy?"

Well, doing this gives you a bargaining chip. Discovering damages like that would help reduce the perceived worth of the car. Hence, reducing the car price and allowing you to be able to negotiate some more.

You could even take it a step further and go along with a professional car mechanic. Have them inspect the car and report whatever isn't perfect about the car. That's some extra bargaining chip for you.

Final words
At first, this could be quite intimidating for you, especially if you're new to this. However, if you stick to these guidelines you shouldn't have any problems getting a cheap car price. You just have to be confident. Even if you aren't, act like it.

What next?
Get along now and start searching for your dream car. Also, when you intend to buy a car online, you might not have enough space for price haggling, but you are most likely to get a cheap price online.

Don't forget to drop your questions or inquiries in the comments section below. I am more than eager to attend to you.

https://carmart.ng/public/blog/2019/11/how-to-negotiate-a-car-price-with-seller-the-top-tips-to-know/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Mycartoonpic(m): 7:15am On Nov 26, 2019
Nice Tips buh if one is rich I think one will use only one or two of it.
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by bukkielee(m): 7:16am On Nov 26, 2019
Good post

2 Likes

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by slex(m): 7:16am On Nov 26, 2019
Nice write up ,

Click on my moniker to see my list of cars and try this tips on me
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by supercase1(m): 7:17am On Nov 26, 2019
Finally I made STC, I want to dedicate this to oluwa to God and all my friends and well wishes and also tell Nigerians that there is no hope for their sufferings in sight wink
RUN RUN RUn grin grin

1 Like

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by SolarForce: 7:18am On Nov 26, 2019
Never buy a car from a person you don't know
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Lankybaby(f): 7:18am On Nov 26, 2019
nice one... I learnt a new one
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Mycartoonpic(m): 7:19am On Nov 26, 2019
supercase1:
Finally I made STC, I want to dedicate this to oluwa to God and all my friends and well wishes and also tell Nigerians that there is no hope for their sufferings in sight wink
RUN RUN RUn grin grin
Lol. I weak.
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by uniquelyspecial(m): 7:21am On Nov 26, 2019
Nice one
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by CarGuideNG: 7:22am On Nov 26, 2019
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by greatbrian(m): 7:26am On Nov 26, 2019
Nice. But all this research does not work.

Not all used cars are in the same condition. Some are better some are good and some are fair. You won't negotiate a first body Honda the way you will negotiate a recently painted one. I feel the old school way is the best way. Instead of research, take a trusted mechanic that will not rat you. Check the car, let him scan through and check for even simple faults. This will determine the best price to buy the car. And I say and repeat according to my own understanding. 2 cars of the same model and year might sell for different price and it doesn't mean the dealer swindled you or something close.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 26, 2019
if i had applied This, I wouldn't have bought my Nigerian used Rav4.

The average Nigerian is a fraudster and a crook to be trusted and mostly religious too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by legalwealth(m): 7:43am On Nov 26, 2019
Fvckmoderators:
if i had applied This, I wouldn't have bought my Nigerian used Rav4.

The average Nigerian is a fraudster and a crook to be trusted and mostly religious too.

It is a known fact that large percentage of Nigerian used cars are sold because they have one issue/problem or the other.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 26, 2019
legalwealth:

It is a known fact that large percentage of Nigerian used cars are sold because they have one issue/problem or the other.

Very correct...
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Harmored(m): 7:58am On Nov 26, 2019
grin
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Kaybaba5(m): 8:01am On Nov 26, 2019
Useful tips
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by naijadrivablog: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2019
Negotiations should be last but one thing to do in that process - the last thing is purchasing cool
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by largeman4u(m): 8:05am On Nov 26, 2019
we have affordable prices for Tokunbo and Naija used Cars.
Check www.largemanmotors..com
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Fentanyl: 8:05am On Nov 26, 2019
take note of the following alternate monikers

legalwealth

engineerprosper

lateefat101

they are all the same. a born loser who has tried and failed at everything, from selling fake currency to selling generator cover

now he is a "car consultant"

loool

his other alternate monikers will be added later grin
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by legalwealth(m): 8:07am On Nov 26, 2019
Fentanyl:
take note of the following alternate monikers

legalwealth

engrprosper

they are all the same. a born loser who has tried and failed at everything, from selling fake currency to selling generator cover

now he is a "car consultant"

loool

his other alternate monikers will be added later grin

grin grin grin

Obekediamondfuto 》 www.nairaland.com/obekediamondfuto

Please use your main moniker that you have abandoned since your last post on September 12th out of shame to be trolling me if you have balls. Don't forget to provide live evidences to backup your usual fabrications
and lies! !!

Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by romenna: 8:10am On Nov 26, 2019
Fentanyl:
audio consultant dishing fake and harmful information

believe and crash woefully
what is wrong with you?
Re: Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know by Fentanyl: 8:14am On Nov 26, 2019
somebody is cursing people left and right

yet those people he is cursing are progressing astronomically

Is God not great?

grin cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Made Car / What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? / 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.