Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,362 members, 7,839,653 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 06:08 AM

Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? (1685 Views)

Twitter Limits The Number Of Posts Users Can Read Per Day / 5 Things You Didn't Know That Drains Your Phone Battery / How To Check Recent Activity On Your Android Phone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? by oaroloye(m): 6:36am On Nov 27, 2019
SHALOM!

I had known that the Windows Adobe Acrobat 6 application could read pdf text aloud, but it never occurred to me that affordable Smartphones could do the same, until I noticed the option tab on a couple of Apps I used to destroy my eyesight... er, read books with eyestrain!

Those Apps were EPRESTIGO and FULLREADER.

I have since found that there are Apps dedicated to that operation- TTS READER, for example.

The Android Phone also has it's own built-in TEXT-TO-SPEECH capability without using an app, under its ACCESSIBILITY Options.

What I should like to see, however, is an App that can read ANYTHING that is onscreen, and not just "supported" documents. (I have not yet found a way to read books that are merely scanned images. Certain Apps allow access to Free eBook Libraries, but those books must be read manually.)

TEXT-TO-SPEECH has seriously changed my life, because I can now read books on-the-go, and on-the-job, when I previously didn't have time. This has made me invest in Bluetooth Headphones, which I never wanted to use.

[A SERIOUS WORD OF WARNING: DO NOT USE WIRED HEADPHONES ON YOUR PHONE WHEN IT IS PLUGGED INTO LIVE MAINS FOR CHARGING- NO MATTER HOW WELL-INSULATED THEY SEEM TO BE- IT CAN GET YOU KILLED!]

This would be a boon to those who are trying to learn how to read, for instance. Including small children, and elderly illiterates, who would be embarrassed to attend adult literacy classes, or hire tutors.

Not just English, but all the languages in the Google Text-to-Speech Library. This capability can help learn to read foreign languages with perfect pronunciation- if not inflection- this is not the same thing as an audiobook- which takes up more than a hundred times more space.

The robot voice can be adjusted for pitch, to sound masculine or feminine, very fast, or very slow.

I just don't understand why no one else is talking about this!

I have finished more books in the past two months, than I have in the past five years!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? by ETWs: 6:56am On Nov 27, 2019
Even back in the days of symbian, my Nokia E7 read books to me.

That's about 11 years ago bro.
Re: Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? by steviano(m): 8:33pm On Nov 27, 2019
Please explain how we can use it... I went to accessibility on my phone I saw it but do not know how to use it to read text... Thanks

oaroloye:
SHALOM!

I had known that the Windows Adobe Acrobat 6 application could read pdf text aloud, but it never occurred to me that affordable Smartphones could do the same, until I noticed the option tab on a couple of Apps I used to destroy my eyesight... er, read books with eyestrain!

Those Apps were EPRESTIGO and FULLREADER.

I have since found that there are Apps dedicated to that operation- TTS READER, for example.

The Android Phone also has it's own built-in TEXT-TO-SPEECH capability without using an app, under its ACCESSIBILITY Options.

What I should like to see, however, is an App that can read ANYTHING that is onscreen, and not just "supported" documents. (I have not yet found a way to read books that are merely scanned images. Certain Apps allow access to Free eBook Libraries, but those books must be read manually.)

TEXT-TO-SPEECH has seriously changed my life, because I can now read books on-the-go, and on-the-job, when I previously didn't have time. This has made me invest in Bluetooth Headphones, which I never wanted to use.

[A SERIOUS WORD OF WARNING: DO NOT USE WIRED HEADPHONES ON YOUR PHONE WHEN IT IS PLUGGED INTO LIVE MAINS FOR CHARGING- NO MATTER HOW WELL-INSULATED THEY SEEM TO BE- IT CAN GET YOU KILLED!]

This would be a boon to those who are trying to learn how to read, for instance. Including small children, and elderly illiterates, who would be embarrassed to attend adult literacy classes, or hire tutors.

Not just English, but all the languages in the Google Text-to-Speech Library. This capability can help learn to read foreign languages with perfect pronunciation- if not inflection- this is not the same thing as an audiobook- which takes up more than a hundred times more space.

The robot voice can be adjusted for pitch, to sound masculine or feminine, very fast, or very slow.

I just don't understand why no one else is talking about this!

I have finished more books in the past two months, than I have in the past five years!
Re: Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? by enawt: 11:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
It isn't that hard to phatom that a phone can do that. The main disadvantage to it is; when you missed a point and want to go back or when some phrases you are not familiar with is pronounced, you immediately lose focus.
Re: Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? by officialfestus(m): 11:12pm On Nov 27, 2019
op thanks
Re: Did You Know That Your Android Phone Can Read Books To You? by oaroloye(m): 3:00pm On Nov 28, 2019
steviano:
Please explain how we can use it... I went to accessibility on my phone I saw it but do not know how to use it to read text... Thanks

There are always YOUTUBE Videos on this sort of thing, if you phrase the Search Parameters correctly.

If you enable TEXT-TO-SPEECH OUTPUT, the option to "READ ALOUD" anything you select on-screen should appear.

There are some Apps and Files for which this may not happen.

It has worked on this page.

(1) (Reply)

HUAWEI 9YA: What's Your Experience With HUAWEI phones? / Brand New Samsung Galaxy M51 For Sell (less Than A Week Old) ₦140,000 (SOLD) / US USED GALAXY S20 ULTRA 5G |128GB|12GB RAM|WITH BOX, CHARGER SOLD SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.