Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,899 members, 7,824,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land (41791 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / Part Of Igbo Land Where You Mustn’t Kill A Python / 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by degamemaster(m): 12:54am On Nov 28, 2019
MrWTF:
Does it mean am an American?

Shut up grin grin grin
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Omoslim26: 12:57am On Nov 28, 2019
MrWTF:
Does it mean am an American?

No American is you

Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by bigfrancis21: 12:58am On Nov 28, 2019
VillagePipu:
We have the Crowthers, the Taylors, the Salvadors, the Fowlers, the Fernández, the Martins and others who are former slaves and returned to Yoruba land. We have history of slaves from the North who were carted away during the Trana-Saharan slave trade. These ones however want us to believe they are all from Igboland.

My Wawa niggers want to trick them back so they can do them what they do to foreign visitors in the SE. They better carry plenty armed mopol and soldiers. They are baiting them for Onwa December. Small time now, they would rob and kidnap them.

You'd be surprised to learn that in terms of overall numbers exported, the Yorubas exported the least number of slaves amongst Igbo, Yoruba, Ewe, Akan, Fon etc. Due to the popularity of the Ifa tradition in the west, people often erroneously think Yoruba-descended folks must be the biggest. Slave records show that no more than 500,000 Nago slaves left Yoruba land, about 1/3 which never even left Africa as their slave ships were intercepted by the British on their way to the Americas and they were re-rerouted and resettled in Freetown Sierra Leone (hence the name, Freetown - land of the freed slaves). A good number of those who actually reached South America found their way back to Lagos and Sierra Leone, hence the actual number of Afro-descended folks with Yoruba DNA are far lesser than expected. Akan and Igbo slaves far exceeded over 1 million exports. Yoruba slaves became more prominent around the turn of the 19th century (1800 to 1850), during the abolishment of slavery and the coincidental ongoing Oyo-Dahomey wars that saw the bulk of Yoruba slaves being spoils of war/war captives by the Dahomeyans. Lagos was soon to be made a British colony and the Oba of Lagos directed that all slaves return home. Being more recent and fresh in their minds, far more Yoruba slaves returned to Africa and left the most cultural imprint in the Americas vs other slaves who left much earlier during the peak of slavery and harsh slave living conditions. Thus, Ajayi Crowther was able to return to Lagos from Sierra Leone. So did those from Cuba (Agudas), Sierra Leone (Saros i.e Desmond Elliot's ancestor) etc. Collaboratively, DNA testing is confirming these slave records. I belong to several afro-descended DNA groups on facebook, and I consistently see people post results with Igbo, Akan, Congo ancestry etc than Yoruba. DNA testing is where an AA sends a copy of his DNA to the lab for testing. His gene sequence is mapped out and compared to hundreds of samples of DNA they have in their lab and exact or close matches are located and the person's ancestry is pinpointed down to a specific area. These results can be very specific and accurate if done with the right lab group.

Among afro-descendants, when they start to research into their African roots, they usually come across the Yoruba Ifa religion first, owing to its popularity in Latin America (note that not every Ifa adherent is of Yoruba ancestry, the same way not all Roman Catholics who practice Roman Catholicism are actually from Rome), however when they continue to prod further they often discover more than they met initially.

2 Likes

Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by mildflame: 1:35am On Nov 28, 2019
Arrewa:
See the flat head nyamiris...African Americans aren't any Igbos... But collective slaves from different African countries...
That's how they claim to have migrated from Israel... Until Israelis archeologist shut them up... Now it's African Americans... Who we all know come from different countries... Ndi ochi

Ibos were the most slaves taken out from the calabar port let them claim whatever they like
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Ebenfat: 2:54am On Nov 28, 2019
abjisperson:
This isnt even an achievement, yet u re still pained...U guys are jus pathetic

Who be this one . Comot for here .
You name says it all
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by MisterKings(m): 4:43am On Nov 28, 2019
I have read something similar to this on Wikipedia. That explains why black people in yankee too like money and wanna get rich or die trying.

Ibo people are special.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by 001spice: 4:56am On Nov 28, 2019
u sound painned. hope u r ok
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Cousin9999: 5:12am On Nov 28, 2019
It doesn't matter where they trace their roots. They're a self-hating bunch that more comfortably identifies with white people. White people really warped them.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Ojady(m): 5:19am On Nov 28, 2019
First it was Forest Whittaker, then TD Jakes... now all these ones... ! No wonder some of these African Americans get mind like us...bia una welcome When Biafra is actualized, even obodo America will not be able to stop her... I say this because, America was made on the back of slaves (our brothers and sisters) taken forcefully from our shores. I once read how a lot of eastern captured slaves would commit suicide rather than be slaves while on the Slavery ships to North America. The only thing Ndigbo need to learn is how to be United and remain so, when we re gone from this shithole. I say that because, our dividedness has always been the crack in the wall that lizards (of the Yoloba and Northerners) exploit. This dividedness you see amongst African Americans and why Oyinbo they relegate them

1 Like

Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Kingrefreshed: 5:21am On Nov 28, 2019
[quote author=Arrewa post=84424380]See the flat head nyamiris...African Americans aren't any Igbos... But collective slaves from different African countries...
That's how they claim to have migrated from Israel... Until Israelis archeologist shut them up... Now it's African Americans... Who we all know come from different countries... Ndi ochi[/quote

Hello Oga! Oga! Don't let envy and jealousy kill and cause you heart attack! Ordinary Fulani herdsmen!!! All African American are igbos while all Fulani herdsmen are............... I think Sudanese or something ]
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by somalianprince: 5:46am On Nov 28, 2019
Anambra bu isi igbo
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by crackhouse(m): 6:54am On Nov 28, 2019
America don tire these people and they taught Nigeria is a safe haven just the way Nigeria don tire some Nigerians but somebody need to tell them that Nigeria is synonymous to hell fire incase they don't know yet.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Skmoda360(m): 7:20am On Nov 28, 2019
NaijaRoyalty:
No place like home

Igbo land is the real home .

Lagos is no man's land .
Keep ranting Lagos is no man's land till Yoruba started pursuing you guys.....rabbish infinitō.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by passion007: 7:30am On Nov 28, 2019
nabiz:
I really need a degree in history and genealogy. This course is untapped in africa

Please do, we need proper historians
Look what our brothers in Aguleri are doing to the igbo ancient culture.
I don't know when white men with long hair became prominent progenitors of the Igbo people... Just utterly and completely ridiculous!

And this is being sold as the origin of Igbo people, with images of Moses and Jesus, and other Bible characters.

Flies in the face of Catherine Acholonu's research in the book "They lived before Adam"
God bless your memory, Prof.

Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by joshuanwankwo(m): 7:52am On Nov 28, 2019
DonCaxton:
Not worth celebrating.
It means Ibo ancestors sold more of their people as slaves than other tribes. That the Ibo man could sell his own kind easily in exchange for gin, mirrors and whatever cheap stuff.
Means those foreign slave-buyers found better deals with the Ibos.
No, it's not an achievement. Rather, it's a saddening information.

is it your selling ??

and if your hands hasn't been more eager to comment than to research;
you would have known the people of the igbo (eboe) country lived in communities autonomous from each other rather than a great empire.

if an okigwe community sells 45 mbano people to the british or whoever as slaves;
does it mean they sold themselves or their brothers ?.

its unlike an oyo man selling an ibadan man.

understand igbo people before u talk.

1 Like

Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 28, 2019
joshuanwankwo:

is it your selling ??

and if your hands hasn't been more eager to comment than to research;
you would have known the people of the igbo (eboe) country lived in communities autonomous from each other rather than a great empire.

if an okigwe community sells 45 mbano people to the british or whoever as slaves;
does it mean they sold themselves or their brothers ?.

its unlike an oyo man selling an ibadan man.

understand igbo people before u talk.

Okay. I think you're right.
Enjoy your celebration.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by joshuanwankwo(m): 8:18am On Nov 28, 2019
DonCaxton:

Okay. I think you're right. Enjoy your celebration.

yes brother a re-union is always a cause to celebrate.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by hunter21(m): 8:45am On Nov 28, 2019
bigfrancis21:

You'd be surprised to learn that in terms of overall numbers exported, the Yorubas exported the least number of slaves amongst Igbo, Yoruba, Ewe, Akan, Fon etc. Due to the popularity of the Ifa tradition in the west, people often erroneously think Yoruba-descended folks must be the biggest. Slave records show that no more than 500,000 Nago slaves left Yoruba land, about 1/3 which never even left Africa as their slave ships were intercepted by the British on their way to the Americas and they were re-rerouted and resettled in Freetown Sierra Leone (hence the name, Freetown - land of the freed slaves). A good number of those who actually reached South America found their way back to Lagos and Sierra Leone, hence the actual number of Afro-descended folks with Yoruba DNA are far lesser than expected. Akan and Igbo slaves far exceeded over 1 million exports. Yoruba slaves became more prominent around the turn of the 19th century (1800 to 1850), during the abolishment of slavery and the coincidental ongoing Oyo-Dahomey wars that saw the bulk of Yoruba slaves being spoils of war/war captives by the Dahomeyans. Lagos was soon to be made a British colony and the Oba of Lagos directed that all slaves return home. Being more recent and fresh in their minds, far more Yoruba slaves returned to Africa and left the most cultural imprint in the Americas vs other slaves who left much earlier during the peak of slavery and harsh slave living conditions. Thus, Ajayi Crowther was able to return to Lagos from Sierra Leone. So did those from Cuba (Agudas), Sierra Leone (Saros i.e Desmond Elliot's ancestor) etc. Collaboratively, DNA testing is confirming these slave records. I belong to several afro-descended DNA groups on facebook, and I consistently see people post results with Igbo, Akan, Congo ancestry etc than Yoruba. DNA testing is where an AA sends a copy of his DNA to the lab for testing. His gene sequence is mapped out and compared to hundreds of samples of DNA they have in their lab and exact or close matches are located and the person's ancestry is pinpointed down to a specific area. These results can be very specific and accurate if done with the right lab group.

Among afro-descendants, when they start to research into their African roots, they usually come across the Yoruba Ifa religion first, owing to its popularity in Latin America (note that not every Ifa adherent is of Yoruba ancestry, the same way not all Roman Catholics who practice Roman Catholicism are actually from Rome), however when they continue to prod further they often discover more than they met initially.
The last paragraph is what makes sense the most
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Kokoebapluse(m): 8:45am On Nov 28, 2019
grin

Awon blogger logger, grin

Lies everywhere
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Greenback: 9:20am On Nov 28, 2019
Omoslim26:
Bia you sure se dat ms Danver no be my hanty

hanty see me here

hanty see me here

stop looking upandan for ya root

you are from Imo state
Country 9 Owerri
ogbaku
okwu umugama

I am ya brother
I have been looking for you too all dis while

chia oyinbo e no go better for una for separating me and this my hanty �

Stop displaying that last nah,Haba!

grin grin grin
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Revolva(m): 9:24am On Nov 28, 2019
Not all African Americans have Igbo trace ok

Maybe some few had ...you can't tell me in the whole west Africa only Igbo land were the only places slaves were taken from
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Kennyswagz1(m): 9:30am On Nov 28, 2019
passion007:

Please do, we need proper historians
Look what our brothers in Aguleri are doing to the igbo ancient culture.
I don't know when white men with long hair became prominent progenitors of the Igbo people... Just utterly and completely ridiculous!

And this is being sold as the origin of Igbo people, with images of Moses and Jesus, and other Bible characters.

Flies in the face of Catherine Acholonu's research in the book "They lived before Adam"
God bless your memory, Prof.
that is the Jews you people are talking of gringrin
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by IMRAAN33(m): 9:57am On Nov 28, 2019
Donald Trump will soon trace his roots down to Igbo Land cool
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by CSTR2: 10:14am On Nov 28, 2019
The largest percentage of African Americans slaves from Nigeria were taken from igboland.

That is a statement of fact.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by CSTR2: 10:16am On Nov 28, 2019
Revolva:
Not all African Americans have Igbo trace ok

Maybe some few had ...you can't tell me in the whole west Africa only Igbo land were the only places slaves were taken from

Most have Igbo DNA.
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by Xcex: 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2019
Apart from the fact that their DNA matches that of the easterners, the fact remain that the Igbo man has been of good behavior and cherishes his heritage which makes this folks wanna identify with them. Nollywood ekelem unu.
God will create me an Igbo man in my next world
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by victorazyvictor(m): 12:56pm On Nov 28, 2019
Abdul05:
Correct,in short All the African Americans are Igbos

Igbo always Amaka
Re: African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land by danot1030: 1:05pm On Nov 28, 2019
Oharina:

Illitrate

Thank you prof.

But please educate me from your wealth of knowledge shocked shocked shocked

Are black Americans truly new discovered Igbos?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Of Ooni Enitan Adeyeye-Ogunwusi As A Corper / African Medieval Military Systems Pre-colonial / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.