Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? (41708 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Freiburger(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
I believe every colour has a name in every language.
Apart from the popular black and white most of us know about, do you know the names of the basic popular colours in your local language?
If yes, please enter the names against this list of these basic colours in your local language. You can add more colours at your own wish.

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black
Grey
White
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Annie2gud(f): 3:54pm On Sep 27, 2013
Lol...this must be very tasking.However let me try.The isokos calls Red..(iredi)blue(i blue)white(ofua fon)the rest i dnt know how to put them to writing.Lolz almost Bit my Tongue.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by DesChyko1(m): 5:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
Well, in igbo language, when the colours are used as adjectives, any common item possessing the same colour as what is being described, is used to identify the colour of such object. For example.. Obara obara is used to describe red (Obara means blood). Anwu anwu is used to describe light in colour (anwu means sun). Itiri is used to describe black (itiri means darkness)

12 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Mubby4luv(m): 5:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
LOL.
Hausa on point.
1 bak'i-black
2 fari -white
3 ja -red
4 ja-ja- pink
5 kore- green
6 launin jar garura -purple
7 launoni-colors
8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown
9 mai ruwan lemo -orange
10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray
11 rawaye -yellow
12 shud'i -blue

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Lionbite(m): 5:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
In yoruba we say
red- pupa
black- dudu
white- funfun
i dont know the rest o.....but we do improvise sha so..
Blue- bluuuu
Green- griiini
purple- popu......
wait let me go and check my beans on the stove.

26 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
White - Ocha
Black - Oji

I guess these are the only ones i know.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by toluxa1(m): 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2013
Indigo - I no know ooo ...lol
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Green - àwö ewéko / aligà

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 27, 2013
Freiburger: I believe every colour has a name in every language.
Apart from the popular black and white most of us know about, do you know the names of the basic popular colours in your local language?
If yes, please enter the names against this list of these basic colours in your local language. You can add more colours at your own wish.

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black
Grey
White

Red in Igbo is Obara Obara or uhie uhie
Yellow is odo odo
Orange is nmanu nmanu
Black is oji
White is ocha
Green is Akwukwo ndu Akwukwo ndu
Brown is ururo ururo ( mud)
Grey/ash is ntu ntu

That is the much I know
Heard my grandma use those words,confirmed from mom

40 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by homesteady(m): 5:10pm On Sep 27, 2013
I can't speak my language, but I can speak hausa, so I'll answer in hausa cool
White - fari
Black - Baki
Red - Jar

Dazzal! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
red in my language is red so is others
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by fpeter(f): 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
red in my native tongue is called ODODO
White is OCHA
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by DIVINE78: 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
Afam4eva: White - Ocha
Black - Oji

I guess these are the only ones i know.
You language is shallow.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by seedord247(m): 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2013
Yellow... Pupa

Red... Eje

White... Funfun

Black... Dudu

Orange... Oosan

Coming back for more... grin
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Fhemmmy: 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
Freiburger: I believe every colour has a name in every language.

Red - Pupa
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue - Blu
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black - Dudu
Grey
White - Funfun

I try
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Presbulg(m): 5:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
Actually just few
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by nagoma(m): 5:17pm On Sep 27, 2013
Red = Ja
Yellow= Ruwan Dorowa/ rawaya
Green = kore/ tsanwa
Blue. = Shudi
Purple. = alkashi
Pink. = 'Ruwan foda
Brown. = kasa kasa
Black. = baki
Grey. = Toka toka
White. =. Fari

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Lilimax(f): 5:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
babyosisi:

Red in Igbo is Obara Obara
Yellow is uhie uhie
Orange is nmanu nmanu
Black is oji
White is ocha
Green is odo odo

That is the much I know
Heard my grandma use those words
grin You're very correct
but Green is akwukwo ndu, akwukwo ndu.
Grey - Ntu ntu

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by ikelvin(m): 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2013
Me I don't know oo. Red is obara in igbo, yellow is anwu, black is ojiii, white is ocha. All in igbo. I don't know about other colours Shaaa
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2013
Lilimax: grin You're very correct
but Green is akwukwo ndu, akwukwo ndu.
Grey - Ntu ntu

I am actually on the phone now with my mom to make corrections and I have
Lol

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by koolet: 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
Red = pupa
white = funfun
black = dudu
green = koriko
blue = aaro or buulu
brown = eepa
yellow = pupa
the rest we sayz it in english.... Yet to be named in yoruba

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by MumyGO(f): 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mubby4luv: LOL. Hausa on point. 1 bak'i-black 2 fari -white 3 ja -red 4 ja-ja- pink 5 kore- green 6 launin jar garura -purple 7 launoni-colors 8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown 9 mai ruwan lemo -orange 10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray 11 rawaye -yellow 12 shud'i -blue
Wow! Dat's assuming al ur above ans are correct.welldone

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Ibangap(m): 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
Red- Iduot/Adadat
White- Afia
Yellow-Afia
Black-Anwewen
Every other dim colour such as blue or green are also refered to as Anwewen.

Efik/Annang

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by bluejeff(m): 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
White - Ifun
Black - Ishi
Red/yellow/Similar colours - Ibua
Blue/Green/Similar colours- Ikwun
Thats all.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by JMOI: 5:22pm On Sep 27, 2013
I'm Igbo so let's do it this way:

Red -- Obara obara or mme mme or uhie uhie or ufie ufie
Orange -- oroma oroma wink
Yellow -- edo edo
Green -- ndu ndu
Blue -- anunu
Purple -- n/a
Pink -- n/a
Brown -- Ulo ulo
Black -- Oji
Grey -- ntu ntu
White -- ocha

6 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 27, 2013
White-Afia
Black- obubud
Red- Ndandad
Orange- sokoro
Maroon- iduoduot

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ibanga p: Red- Iduot/Adadat
White- Afia
Yellow-Afia
Black-Anwewen
Every other dim colour such as blue or green are also refered to as Anwewen.

Efik/Annang
This is Annang

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Lol... only the basic colors can be listed by few.

I doubt there is name for 'computer' in any Nigerian local language. Just curious to know as many locals have barely seen one before.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by ayodot(m): 5:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Yoruba...

red - pupa
black - dudu
white - funfun
green - awo ewe

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by AnOlAd: 5:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hian! See Topic... Walks Away..
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by RayMcBlue(m): 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2013
Repping the Rainbow Nation.

Color names in isiZulu.

1. -bomvu = red
2. -liphuzi = yellow
3. -luhlaza = green
4. -luhlaza okwesibhakabhaka = blue
5. -mhlophe = white
6. -mnyama = black
7. -mpunga = gray
8. -nsundu = brown
9. orenji = orange
10. phephuli = purple
11. phinki = Pink

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / Isoko Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.