Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer (15345 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Buhari Being Cloned, Decries Cases Of Stolen Identity / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Gistfresh(f): 10:51pm On Nov 27, 2019
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has lamented distortions and media misconception of a BBC feature programme in which his 2014 experience with cancer was featured.

Soyinka, in a statement on Wednesday, said he had not seen the final presentation of a BBC feature programme on Health Awareness in which his 2014 experience with cancer was featured, but that he had been bombarded by narratives of the most disquieting nature, distortions through either misreporting or media misconceptions of what the BBC feature actually conveyed.

“The first – and most urgent – correction of course is to re-state that this is an ancient tale that is firmly situated in the past tense. In other words, I have not been under any cancer related condition for over five years. Indeed, it was in order to avoid creating any such anxieties that I refrained from even revealing my own ordeal until I had fully and successfully concluded treatment.

“I made the original revelation in 2015, in support of the late Professor Femi Williams’ drive to set up an Africa Cancer Centre in Nigeria. It did not fail to strike an instructive chord that I had been a founding participant in that health initiative, little suspecting at the time that I was already a carrier of the enemy virus,” he said.

Soyinka said more worrisome, was that some of the reportage suggested that he criticized Nigerians for seeking treatment outside the country, which he described as outright nonsense.

According to him, “those who are able must seek health from wherever, including the outer planets, as long as a nation fails to provide even the most rudimentary but effective and sustainable health facilities for her own citizens. Indeed, I called it a shame that a nation as resource endowed as Nigeria has failed in that fundamental aspect, since it privileges just a few as against the totality.

“I lamented a situation where a nation’s president leaves his station again and again for weeks on end to seek treatment outside his nation, while the health system over which he presides steadily collapses around him.

“I repeat: I have yet to see the programme, but perhaps I should start thinking of my next collaboration with the BBC or any other public awareness outreach, this time, around the urgent theme of a different form of cancerous affliction: the cancer of illiteracy!”

Source: https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/11/27/soyinka-reacts-to-media-distortions-of-his-2014-experience-with-cancer/amp/

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Alamu1111: 7:06am On Nov 28, 2019
The great man

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by MrSix: 7:07am On Nov 28, 2019
Ok

Check my signature
Laptops available in Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by midolian(m): 7:07am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!
The likes of Elder Wole Soyinka are the reason we are in this abominable damnation today, they have agreed to remain silent in face of abnormalities.

Now, we talk; it's tagged hate speech.
We buy Iphone and probably wear designers; they tag us ''yahoo boys
We protest; it's tagged terrorism
We preach revolutions and referendum; it's tagged war

Most of us have lost hope and gone into hiding, some have manage to escape but then people like Onyedika; are still fighting, masturbating, talking... We have chosen dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery, we still preach revolution and truth!

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed.
Awon ti Chinua Achebe...Bitter ones!

Go and take the nobel laureate from him and give to your undeserving father na..

Rabbish!undecided

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Kingrefreshed: 7:07am On Nov 28, 2019
Gistfresh:
Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka has lamented distortions and media misconception of a BBC feature programme in which his 2014 experience with cancer was featured.

Soyinka, in a statement on Wednesday, said he had not seen the final presentation of a BBC feature programme on Health Awareness in which his 2014 experience with cancer was featured, but that he had been bombarded by narratives of the most disquieting nature, distortions through either misreporting or media misconceptions of what the BBC feature actually conveyed.

“The first – and most urgent – correction of course is to re-state that this is an ancient tale that is firmly situated in the past tense. In other words, I have not been under any cancer related condition for over five years. Indeed, it was in order to avoid creating any such anxieties that I refrained from even revealing my own ordeal until I had fully and successfully concluded treatment.

“I made the original revelation in 2015, in support of the late Professor Femi Williams’ drive to set up an Africa Cancer Centre in Nigeria. It did not fail to strike an instructive chord that I had been a founding participant in that health initiative, little suspecting at the time that I was already a carrier of the enemy virus,” he said.

Soyinka said more worrisome, was that some of the reportage suggested that he criticized Nigerians for seeking treatment outside the country, which he described as outright nonsense.

According to him, “those who are able must seek health from wherever, including the outer planets, as long as a nation fails to provide even the most rudimentary but effective and sustainable health facilities for her own citizens. Indeed, I called it a shame that a nation as resource endowed as Nigeria has failed in that fundamental aspect, since it privileges just a few as against the totality.

“I lamented a situation where a nation’s president leaves his station again and again for weeks on end to seek treatment outside his nation, while the health system over which he presides steadily collapses around him.

“I repeat: I have yet to see the programme, but perhaps I should start thinking of my next collaboration with the BBC or any other public awareness outreach, this time, around the urgent theme of a different form of cancerous affliction: the cancer of illiteracy!”

Source: https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/11/27/soyinka-reacts-to-media-distortions-of-his-2014-experience-with-cancer/amp/

Akpa Amu gbowa girl Dia. He's really a good man grin grin

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by MycroftHolmes: 7:07am On Nov 28, 2019
Our own William Shakespeare smiley

So much respect for this man!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by don4real18(m): 7:07am On Nov 28, 2019
smiley
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by babyfaceafrica: 7:08am On Nov 28, 2019
Media.ans lies

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by UnitedNigeriaUN: 7:08am On Nov 28, 2019
The Media is being used to tear Nigeria and Nigerians apart...

Media in this part of the world is solemnly for propaganda.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by emkz: 7:08am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!
The likes of Elder Wole Soyinka are the reason we are in this abominable damnation today, they have agreed to remain silent in face of abnormalities.

Most of us have lost hope and gone into hiding, some have manage to escape but then people like Onyedika; are still fighting, masturbating, talking... We have chosen dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery, we still preach revolution and truth!

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed.

Nobel no be beans oh.

When the country was not this bad, Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi, Femi Falana, Adams Oshiomole, Beko and Fela Kuti put governments on their toes. Military governments I mean.

As far as I know, these guys have paid their dues, and whether we deny it or not, the youth is not ready to lead. Take Dino who wanted to invade the INEC HQ because of his election whereas he has not led a protest to the DSS to release Sowore. Look at Yahaya Bello, the youngest governor in Nigeria.

I tell you, young folks brought down tyrranical governments in Egypt, Sudan and Tunisia. The young folks in Nigeria are just not ready and things would only get worse until they rise and seize their heritage.

PS: When Murtala Mohammed, Theophilus Danjuma, Dongoyaro, Kaduna Nzeogwu, Emmanuel Ifeajuna et al were planning and executing coups, they were mostly under 36. Ojukwu led a war at 35. Gowon led this nation at 27. My point is that the youth in that generation had more balls than the youth of today. The youth of today rant on social media and think life is about making money and balling. Rise and say NO! Two million youth matching to Aso Rock can bring down a government.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by TechWows: 7:08am On Nov 28, 2019
Greatest African Writer ever liveth.
midolian:
Awon ti Chinua Achebe...Bitter ones!

Go and take the noble laureate from him and give to your undeserving father na..
Rabbish!undecided
Don't mind those eternally greedy sad souls, they are never happy to see any other on Top apart from their brothers and establishment. Look at how they've tried to tarnish Shoyinka's image, they tried to rubbish Nigerian greatest hiTech Bank (GTB), etc.

This guy below has opened our eyes to their manipulative snake nature.
mainman7:

Highly intelligent ones know that you and your people are the most evil people on Earth. I really pity the gullible souls that get deceived by your demonic manipulation.
You still have the effrontery to talk to me instead of apologizing for your evil deeds and that of your satanic elders?! I thought you would have repented and change from the evil ways of your fathers. Just like your Igbos fathers brainwashed senseless gullible Yorubas and Hausa/Fulanis to kill their very own political Leader in coup that you promised to make Nigeria free, you are pretending again. Satanic possessed evil greedy Igbos are never contented in Life, never. Always sad at Yorubas topping anything, while Yorubas gladly celebrate their. Henceforth, we shall not only pay you back in your evil coin but in 7 fold! Sad souls called igbos are just too senselessly greedy! What Nigeria is experiencing today would not have happened if not that you people changed the peaceful course of Nigerian History by your wicked heartless GREED, Igbos shed innocent blood Nationally just to hijack Nigeria's resources, wealth and political power. Such was never known till you satanic souls called Igbos introduced it into our once innocent and peaceful Country on January 15, 1966. You infected Fulanis with your pathological greed and introduced satanic blood shed into Nigerian politics because of you people's Hell-bound satanic souls. Not even Fulanis or Hausa was heartless enough to conceived let alone carry out the very first political blood-letting in Nigeria. Despite the fact that Igbo Azikwe was the President, and that Igbos head almost 68% of all Federal Ministries and Federal Control apparatuses during the era, stiil did not satisfy you! Satanic possessed evil greedy Igbos were still not contented. You satanic greedy sad souls still want to own the whole Nigeria and his people in your pocket. This led your evil fathers in the Nigerian Military; Izeagu, Ifeajuna, etc to deceive other Nigerian officers to kill leaders from other tribes so that Igbos can enthrone Aguyi Ironsi and fully pocket the whole Nigeria. What a greedy satanic set of pathologically greedy animals in human skin called Igbos. Nothing satisfies Igbo unless terrible excruciatingly painful catastrophic death! You taught Fulanis this evil killings happening today, you showed Nigerians that killings could be used to intimidate other tribes and enslave them. It's unfortunate that we Yorubas are paying for your satanic ways that you infected Fulanis with because of you demonic GREED!!! People should stop blaming Fulanis, it was Igbos that sowed the evil seed and taught Fulanis this heartlessness. Yet, Igbos have not apologized to we Yorunbas! The problem of blood shed we are facing today was started by Igbos. Unless you igbos apologize to Yorubas, we shall ensure that you and your unborn generations are wiped out permanently. It is not a threat; it's a Promise! All Igbos shall never die well! Terrible terrible deaths to all Igbos wherever they are! ASHE!!!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by tayebest(m): 7:09am On Nov 28, 2019
BBC are disgrace to the media angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by tete7000(m): 7:10am On Nov 28, 2019
Baba Soyinka too dey bother himself over trivial matters. Sometimes I feel he likes being petty. What I read matches his explanation and people are free to give whatever interpretation they like to whatever anyone says. If you don't want to be misinterpreted, don't talk, and when you speak too much grammar, expect much misrepresentation from the people. At his age, you will expect him to understand this basic principle...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by makewetalk2: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2019
All these old men should just ride their wheelchairs in peace. People are moving forward and you are disturbing us with an old man's reaction. You guys should let these civil servants enjoy their old age. Tomorrow you will post another topic complaining about how he reacted to post that you just made. Just let people be! Post resourced materials, not trivials.

Does anyone know any child who has an Opera voice?
Most preferably a child from a very poor home who can qualify for a scholarship.
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by contigiency(m): 7:11am On Nov 28, 2019
You should just accept Whatever they say in good faith. After all you are among those that said the media should not be regulated. At your age you still like to join the crowd where the ovation is loud, without considering the consequences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by UnitedNigeriaUN: 7:13am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

Like you mean Soyinka is the sole proprietor of Nigeria problems Mr Wailer? SMH for you and your generation.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by tayebest(m): 7:13am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

[s]Nobel laureate, my foot!

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed.[/s]

Just because he did not supported the ineffectual Buffon? una go wail Taya! grin

Moreover, go and collect the Nobel laureate from him because you're pained cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by voltron14: 7:14am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

[s]Nobel laureate, my foot!

One day, our people will arise and the oppressors will gnash their teeth in pain; till then we remain resolute and committed.[/s]

He's not blame for your poverty.

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by ACRI: 7:14am On Nov 28, 2019
Mentor

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by ChaseVibes(m): 7:14am On Nov 28, 2019
Ok
Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by CHOPUP411(m): 7:15am On Nov 28, 2019
Thanks for clarification sir

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad

Nobel laureate, my foot!

U will just kill urself for nothing 4 ur Soyinka hatred.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by TechWows: 7:16am On Nov 28, 2019
frankfrancis871:
sad
Nobel laureate, my foot!

You can't deceive us any more! We now know the true colour of your people and your manipulative ways of always using deceiptive narratives to get people to hate Great Yorubas. You people tarnish us out of pathological envy because everything you ever dream to achieve Yorubas have achieved it already. Next time you see a Yorubas, duff your hat and bow!
You've been thoroughly exposed by the guy below.
mainman7: Don't mind those satanic souls. They specialize at nothing other than biting any finger that feeds them. Nigeria was fast developing during Obasanjo time. He elevated any technically qualified Nigerian, regardless of tribe, to participate in Federal Governance. Yaraduah did same too and Nigeria was fast progressing. But as soon as Jonathan came, Igbos hijacked and pocketed him by giving him Azikwe name and his foolish head swelled. Next they pushed him to threaten Baba Obasanjo that brought him to Power, he literally forced Ibadanjo to resign as BOT Chaiman. Then they stated planning to become Governor of Lagos and saying Lagos is a no man's Land. This is the major threat that Christians and Yoruba people saw these Igbos are pure satanic inconsiderate evil greedy souls.

Everybody should note that these evil souls called Igbos are the ones responsible for all evil that Fulanis are committing. Fulanis never knew the possibility of taking over Yoruba Land till Igbos greed made them to plan it during Jonathan. Even right from the beginning of Nigeria, Fulanis never knew the possibily of ruling by gun and bloodshed until Igbos satanic greed made them to kill other tribes and destroy our first republic.

Without Igbos introducing bloodshed into Nigeria Politics on 15th January 1966, the Narrative of Nigeria as we know it today would have been different. Just bcause Igbos' demonic greed to own Nigeria and everybody in the Country, it was Igbos that abolished the Federation Status of Nigeria as soon as they got their Aguyi Inrosi into Power. Before then Western, Nigeria, Eastern Nigeria, Northern Nigeria were governing their own people. Now they call Fulanis wicked for not allowing Nigeria to separate, when the actual Truth is that Fulanis are doing exactly what Igbos planned against other Nigerian.

For putting we innocent Nigerians into this bondage because of their Satanic Greed, Terrible deaths to all Igbos. Ashe!!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Reacts To Media Distortions Of His 2014 Experience With Cancer by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 28, 2019
Sometimes I feel if you don't take the test u don't get cancer... Thank God u won

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rugged Men......... Story / Who Is Your Best Novelist? / The Inheritance(a Thrilling Romance Story)by Rose Akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.