Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,842 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) (62928 Views)

Corper Olori Ajoke Adeyemi: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Pictured In NYSC Uniform / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Alaafin Of Oyo And Olori Memunat Pictured Together After Her Graduation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 28, 2019
marvin906:

oga the alaafin is the elder to the ooni..
whether you like it or not

I have read many respected scholars attest to this. If i recall the original Ooni was either amillegitimate son or not actually a son of oduduwa but his chief priest or something like that and when the true heir to the throne came back from war instead of battling the man on the throne he went on to establish his own kingdon which I beleive is ilaorangun. If my recollection is correct, the true 1st line lineage of oduduwa is in ila-orangun

I cant recall accurately but I know that according to some respected accounts ila-orangun and oyo have more supremacy that what we are made to beleive, i.e the Ooni.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by thatigboman: 7:59pm On Nov 28, 2019
RedBlackPepper:
This is a concocted information and it is absolutely misleading. Whoever bring this to the front page should be reprimanded. Fake news. How on earth will the salary of Alaafin bigger than that of Ooni of Ife,
was, not will
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by unbitchable(m): 8:00pm On Nov 28, 2019
maynation:
Some second class Yoruba obas earned much more than Oba of benin.

Wonderful grin
Oba of Benin was always fairly treated and his earnings was reasonably of his status even though his jurisdiction was less economically viable to the region. He however felt disgruntled and thought he should be on the same pedestal alongside the Ooni whom the British deemed more highly ranked.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Mindster: 8:00pm On Nov 28, 2019
JUST 12 HOURS LEFT!!!

EARLY BLACK FRIDAY SALE.
SAVE UP TO 60% ON BLUEHOST WEB HOSTING

Complete hosting solutions starting at #960.62/month*

FREE Domain Name for 1st year
60% Off WordPress Hosting
50% Off VPS Hosting
40% Off WP Pro Hosting
Starting at $2.65/month* (#960.62/month*)
* Special intro offer and 30-day
money-back guarantee

CLICK TO GET OFFER

BLUEHOST: Powering Over 2 Million Websites Worldwide

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by thatigboman: 8:01pm On Nov 28, 2019
KanuSE:

Can you explain sir, is it by exploits or just office?

By what standards do you claim that Ooni is greater Alaafin?
ooni of ife is a 2nd class chief

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Iamgrey5(m): 8:02pm On Nov 28, 2019
thatigboman:
I thought Onii was overseeing the whole of oduduwa territory.

By the way, where is Oba of Lagos?
Oni was always a spiritual head not the head of the entire Yoruba race

Lagos colony was treated differently and I don't believe he was actually recognized as a ranking king by the colonial masters.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by DimIsaac10(m): 8:02pm On Nov 28, 2019
onecoder:
No wonder Oyo people dey worship alaafin.
I was in that town one day when the the king showed at owode, all the drivers prostrated on the road. I kept wondering grin
you sef.. lol..
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by thatigboman: 8:03pm On Nov 28, 2019
skukimania:

Oyo and Osun were one and the same OYO state then.
in 1938, were there oyo and osun states?
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by seunmsg(m): 8:04pm On Nov 28, 2019
The document is fake. It’s a shame the mod didn’t bother to verify the authenticity of the document before pushing it to front page.

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by thatigboman: 8:05pm On Nov 28, 2019
unbitchable:

Oba of Benin was always fairly treated and his earnings was reasonably of his status even though his jurisdiction was less economically viable to the region. He was however I'll advised, felt disgruntled and thought he should be on the same pedestal alongside the Ooni whom the British deemed more highly ranked.
oba of benin is greater, in all status, than 2nd class chief ooni of ile ife

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Forumobserver12(m): 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2019
Iamgrey5:
I believe it's about economic activities in those areas under the King

Alafin had the largest territory to oversee

Alake had the second largest territory to oversee

Awujale oversaw most of ijebu, Ikorodu and Remo

Oni had the least of the territory to oversee

You absolutely right, Oluibadan, was earning far higher than both Oba of Bin in and Oni of Ife, even though Oluibadan was rated as second Class Oba in the list.

4 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by midnighter(f): 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2019
See money shocked and the funny thing is that 90% of it will end up in another man's pocket in the name of bride-price
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Watermike: 8:08pm On Nov 28, 2019
It has been discovered that during pre-colonial era. Oyo kingdom was more organized interms of administrative dispensation than osun state(Ife). As a result, the whites gv more regards to Alaafin than Ooni of Ife. Even u notice in government textbook, u rarely see ile Ife kingdom administration but u will surely see that of Alaafin of Oyo..all because Ife was not that really organized then. Ensure u follow fact before arriving at ur shallow conclusion.

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by nlPoster: 8:08pm On Nov 28, 2019
Forumobserver12:

You absolutely right, Oluibadan, was earning far higher than both Oba of Bin in and Oni of Ife, even though Oluibadan was rated as second Class Oba in the list.

Security budget
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by nlPoster: 8:09pm On Nov 28, 2019
seunmsg:
The document is fake. It’s a shame the mod didn’t bother to verify the authenticity of the document before pushing it to front page.

It looks fake.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by seunmsg(m): 8:10pm On Nov 28, 2019
isthatso:

I have read many respected scholars attest to this. If i recall the original Ooni was either amillegitimate son or not actually a son of oduduwa but his chief priest or something like that and when the true heir to the throne came back from war instead of battling the man on the throne he went on to establish his own kingdon which I beleive is ilaorangun. If my recollection is correct, the true 1st line lineage of oduduwa is in ila-orangun

I cant recall accurately but I know that according to some respected accounts ila-orangun and oyo have more supremacy that what we are made to beleive, i.e the Ooni.

Your entire narration is false. The Ile-Ife royal family are direct descendant of Oduduwa. Oranmiyan left Benin and Oyo to take over the Ile-Ife throne and his children rule over Benin, Oyo and Ile-Ife till today.

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by nlPoster: 8:10pm On Nov 28, 2019
Watermike:
It has been discovered that during pre-colonial era. Oyo kingdom was more organized interms of administrative dispensation than osun state(Ife). As a result, the whites gv more regards to Alaafin than Ooni of Ife. Even u notice in government textbook, u rarely see ile Ife kingdom administration but u will surely see that of Alaafin of Oyo..all because Ife was not that really organized then. Ensure u follow fact before arriving at ur shallow conclusion.

Ife is a town in Osun state which btw is not referenced when discussing the pre-colonial era because it was created in 1991.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Ajibade123(m): 8:12pm On Nov 28, 2019
So kings are being paid salary wow
anyway do you wish to study or work in Australia, Canada or US check my signature for more info
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by midnighter(f): 8:12pm On Nov 28, 2019
ola33t:
Then, OP bia, where did you see color printing on glossy paper before independence? That snapped page is from recent time. If that were before independence, would have been at most a sheet of typed paper made from a mechanical typewriter.

Lol, so all information from years ago should be given on the exact original paper it was written on, otherwise it's not real?

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by ekestic1976(f): 8:13pm On Nov 28, 2019
AkeNathan:
So Alaafin of Oyo is the true King as recognized by the Imperialists.

And these people have reduced him lower than their gbas gbos overhyped one of ife

Please, try and read Professor Atanda's "The New Oyo Empire" to understand the reason for this anomaly.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Chidex50(m): 8:13pm On Nov 28, 2019
WHAT ARE THEY PAYING THEM FOR? OR TO MARRY MANY WIVES?
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by ekestic1976(f): 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2019
nlPoster:

It looks fake.

It isn't fake. There's a reason for the anomaly. God punish those idiots who removed History from school syllabus.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Marcsunny(m): 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2019
Offpoint:

let me see pictures, I'll love to patronize you
Dm my whatapps check profile
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by wayne22: 8:14pm On Nov 28, 2019
AkeNathan:
No wonder the capital of Western region was in Oyo and not in Oshun.
Lol
SMH for your ignorance
Osun was in Oyo state.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by unbitchable(m): 8:15pm On Nov 28, 2019
thatigboman:
oba of benin is greater, in all status, than 2nd class chief ooni of ile ife
You are an ibo man but you've been going beserk on this thread. This is about Western region and her monarchs, which has absolutely nothing to do with the southeast region. Can you take a rest & crawl back into your hole.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by AreaFada2: 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2019
ola33t:
shocked

That's not a list of South-West Obas, that's the list of old western region as you can see Oba of Benin on the list.

Then, that's a bullshit list of Obas. Oni of Ife should be the first on the list and Oraagun of Ila should not be on the list of second class Obas.
That list is a political rating of kings which must have been collated by a drunk Lugard, not the cultural rating of kings based on solid historical Origin.

Then, OP bia, where did you see color printing on glossy paper before independence? That snapped page is from recent time. If that were before independence, would have been at most a sheet of typed paper made from a mechanical typewriter.
At this point Benin monarchy had just been reluctantly restored by the British a few decades earlier.
In colonial times if you were on the good books of colonialists you were favoured in everything. See how Egba also benefitted immensely from education while the British wrote in their memo that the schools Benin have requested to be built should not be built.

To avoid a similar case of Fourah Bay College graduates opposing British rule in both Sierra Leone and Lagos colony. Benin was seen a potential hotbed of opposition to British rule if they were educated. Due to Oba Ovonramwen and 1897 issue.

Ties between Benin and the British sure hasn't been the best since 1897.

Alake who is a recent monarch among most first class SW kings easily raked in more salary than most.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Praktikals(m): 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2019
AkeNathan:
So Alaafin of Oyo is the true King as recognized by the Imperialists.

And these people have reduced him lower than their gbas gbos overhyped one of ife
Your IQ is very very low. It is obvious from the paper that salaries are not according to superiority. Or how do you explain why Olubadan, a second class, would earn more than almost all the first class kings?

3 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by officialfestus(m): 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2019
tongue
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by nlPoster: 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2019
ekestic1976:

It isn't fake. There's a reason for the anomaly.

What about the mispellings?
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by paix(m): 8:16pm On Nov 28, 2019
onecoder:
No wonder Oyo people dey worship alaafin.
I was in that town one day when the the king showed at owode, all the drivers prostrated on the road. I kept wondering grin
Now you know!
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by step1: 8:17pm On Nov 28, 2019
StUriah:
Just imagine.

Civilization has reduced the hierarchical order among the royal class. The Olubadan as second class Oba was originally a 'Baale' title until it transmuted to an Oba when the Alaafin crowned the title. Despite this, the second class position still superseded some first class Obas.

Oba of Benin, Ooni of Ife and the others have actually lost their importance during the colonial era. Everything was centered around Oyo, Ibadan and Egba land. All what other Obas are doing in this modern period is to rewrite history and create some forms of importance and recognition to their royal class. By the way, where were the Soun of Ogbomosho, Ataoja of Oshogbo, Timi of Ede, in the scheme of things in those days?

God bless you
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Odingo1: 8:17pm On Nov 28, 2019
Kingluqman:
This is not the rank of how powerful they are, it’s just their salaries. Mind you, Alaafin was collecting more money than others is because the king oversee all the Oyo Empire which comprises of many towns of Yoruba land even to Benin republic.

Till today, Ooni of Ife still remain the number 1 Oba in Yoruba land and second to Sultan of Sokoto in Nigeria.

Argue with your balls

grin
Must you put the Northern leader ahead of your own leader, who made Sultan of Sokoto number 1 ahead of Ooni of Ife.

Inferiority complex.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.