Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,753 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) (62927 Views)

Corper Olori Ajoke Adeyemi: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Pictured In NYSC Uniform / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Alaafin Of Oyo And Olori Memunat Pictured Together After Her Graduation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Yemisi5(f): 10:09pm On Nov 28, 2019
[s]
OSUigboFlatHead:

shut up

common sense should tell you that they "earned" it.
[/s]
shatap
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by sweetgala(m): 10:14pm On Nov 28, 2019
AkeNathan:
No wonder the capital of Western region was in Oyo and not in Oshun.

There was no Osun state. Osun state was not formed till after the 1966 coup and the incidents that followed.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by sweetgala(m): 10:18pm On Nov 28, 2019
ola33t:
shocked

That's not a list of South-West Obas, that's the list of old western region as you can see Oba of Benin on the list.

Then, that's a bullshit list of Obas. Oni of Ife should be the first on the list and Oraagun of Ila should not be on the list of second class Obas.
That list is a political rating of kings which must have been collated by a drunk Lugard, not the cultural rating of kings based on solid historical Origin.

Then, OP bia, where did you see color printing on glossy paper before independence? That snapped page is from recent time. If that were before independence, would have been at most a sheet of typed paper made from a mechanical typewriter.

After reading that list again I'll have to support the assertion this was a politically motivated list the date suggests this was written in 1938 and I know the individual who was Ọọni of Ife at the time that individual was the permanent chairman of the Council of Oba in the western region of Nigeria, a federal minister and the first governor upon independence in 1958.

The list is original but rather inaccurate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by SURElee(f): 10:33pm On Nov 28, 2019
That means Allafin of Oyo was ranked higher than Ooni then. So why the change now? Can any yoruba person with history knowledge educate me let me learn something new biko.

It will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Google7: 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2019
AkeNathan:
So Alaafin of Oyo is the true King as recognized by the Imperialists.

And these people have reduced him lower than their gbas gbos overhyped one of ife

ALAAFIN has no equal in Nigeria not to talk of Ife.
He is royalty is as pure as 1st class royals around the world.
His kingdom pre independence sstretched South Nigeria all the way to Benin Republic
He colonized The kingdom to the extent that they adopted Oyo language same way we adopted Queen's language
He got angry on one occasion and sacked the Ooni whom his family appointed to oversee affairs of Ife after their father's demise.
Chief Judge of Nigeria in 1935 would learn about ALAAFIN's supremacy, when ALAAFIN summoned him to Oyo town for daring to invite him to guide the court in the case of Esugbayi vs Lagos state. The white judge was in awe.

The real royals in Nigeria are-
ALAAFIN, Onikoyi, Alaketu, Onipopo and the rest of Oduduwa's prince's. All other kings are appointees whose fathers were once slaves of of the royal lineage.

Yorubas have a proverb- Omo eru, eru naa ni; meaning that the son of a slave is also a slave.
Royalty world over is either by blood or marriage.
It has never been by popularity.
Crown Prince of Oduduwa has never be subservient from the origin his lineage, hence the saying "Oyo o seru Baba enikan"
He was leading a country like English and Saudi Royalties before colonialism.
Yoruba bible was written in his language.
Oyo has always been the seat of power while Ife remains the heritage of source over which the royal lineage appointed an overseer.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by OBIPLUS(m): 10:54pm On Nov 28, 2019
God will help us in this country. Meanwhile check my signature.

SALES, Industrial kitchen, restaurant, hotel and bakery equipments such as gas oven, shawama machine, toaster, roasters, popcorn machine, icecream machine, deep plantain fryer machine, ice machine , industrial freezers, supermarket shelve, weighing machine,plantain deep fryer machine, bread/ dough spiral mixer, water dispenser , food processors of all kinds, water production equipments, supply trucks of all kinds etc.
Enquires +2348063389700.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by horladexino(m): 10:57pm On Nov 28, 2019
isthatso:

I have read many respected scholars attest to this. If i recall the original Ooni was either amillegitimate son or not actually a son of oduduwa but his chief priest or something like that and when the true heir to the throne came back from war instead of battling the man on the throne he went on to establish his own kingdon which I beleive is ilaorangun. If my recollection is correct, the true 1st line lineage of oduduwa is in ila-orangun

I cant recall accurately but I know that according to some respected accounts ila-orangun and oyo have more supremacy that what we are made to beleive, i.e the Ooni.
U HAVE AN AUTHENTIC INFO BUT ABOUT THE ILA ORANGUN BUT ORANMIYAN WHICH IS THE ANCESTOR OF CURRENT ALAAFIN
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Google7: 10:57pm On Nov 28, 2019
SURElee:
That means Allafin of Oyo was ranked higher than Ooni then. So why the change now? Can any yoruba person with history knowledge educate me let me learn something new biko.

It will be greatly appreciated.

There is no change anywhere, Ooni knows his master. Sijuade was the first Ooni that tried to change the narrative because he was the wealthiest king in his time.

His kingdom pre independence stretched South Nigeria all the way to Benin Republic
He colonized The kingdom to the extent that they adopted and still speak Oyo language same way we adopted Queen's language
He got angry on one occasion and sacked the Ooni whom his family appointed to oversee affairs of Ife after their father's demise.
Chief Judge of Nigeria in 1935 would learn about ALAAFIN's supremacy, when ALAAFIN summoned him to Oyo town for daring to invite him to guide the court in the case of Esugbayi vs Lagos state. ALAAFIN was recognized as the authority who could guide the court in crowning Oba of Lagos

ALAAFIN, Onikoyi, Alaketu, Onipopo and the rest of Oduduwa's prince's. All other kings are appointees whose fathers were once slaves of of the Oduduwa royal lineage.

Yorubas have a proverb- Omo eru, eru naa ni; meaning that the son of a slave is also a slave.
Crown Prince of Oduduwa has never be subservient from the origin of his lineage, hence the saying "Oyo o seru Baba enikan"
Yoruba bible is written in his language.
Oyo has always been the seat of power while Ife remains the heritage of source over which the royal lineage appointed an overseer.

3 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by MikkieEl: 10:59pm On Nov 28, 2019
onecoder:
No wonder Oyo people dey worship alaafin.
I was in that town one day when the the king showed at owode, all the drivers prostrated on the road. I kept wondering grin
May you never lose your wonder sir.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by SURElee(f): 11:03pm On Nov 28, 2019
Google7:

There is no change anywhere, Ooni knows his master. Sijuade was the first Ooni that tried to change the narrative because he was the wealthiest king in his time.

His kingdom pre independence stretched South Nigeria all the way to Benin Republic
He colonized The kingdom to the extent that they adopted and still speak Oyo language same way we adopted Queen's language
Chief Judge of Nigeria in 1935 would learn about ALAAFIN's supremacy, when ALAAFIN summoned him to Oyo town for daring to invite him to guide the court in the case of Esugbayi vs Lagos state. ALAAFIN was recognized as the authority who could guide the court in crowning Oba of Lagos

ALAAFIN, Onikoyi, Alaketu, Onipopo and the rest of Oduduwa's prince's. All other kings are appointees whose fathers were once slaves of of the Oduduwa royal lineage.

Crown Prince of Oduduwa has never be subservient from the origin of his lineage, hence the saying "Oyo o seru Baba enikan"

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Engrduke: 11:07pm On Nov 28, 2019
OSUigboFlatHead:
grin grin grin

WHENEVER I TELL SOME IGNORANT CHILDREN AND BUSY-BODY OSU PEOPLE THAT ALAAFIN OF OYO IS GREATER THAN OONI OF IFE, THEY WILL JUST BE ARGUING SENSELESSLY

PIKIN WEY NOR KNOW HISTORY undecided undecided undecided

ALAAFIN OF OYO REMAINS THE MOST POWERFUL KING IN YORUBA KINGDOM!
FORGET ALL THESE MEDIA BULLSHEETS AROUND OONI OF IFE.

You can say that again.

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Google7: 11:13pm On Nov 28, 2019
sweetgala:

After reading that list again I'll have to support the assertion this was a politically motivated list the date suggests this was written in 1938 and I know the individual who was Ọọni of Ife at the time that individual was the permanent chairman of the Council of Oba in the western region of Nigeria, a federal minister and the first governor upon independence in 1958.

The list is original but rather inaccurate

Historically and Politically, Ooni's father served Oduduwa and ALAAFIN.
The son of a slave is a slave and the son of a king is a king
Ooni has always been lowly ranked before the wealthy and flamboyant Sijuade for the first time tried to change d narrative.
ALAAFIN was the head of the government the colonial masters met on ground; overseeing kingdom that stretched to Benin Republic who still speak Yoruba today courtesy ALAAFIN colonization.

ALAAFIN's peers are only princes of Oduduwa royal lineage not sons of their former chief priest. The Oragun Ile ila, I'm not so sure is an Oduduwa's prince and so not even comparable to Ooni, let alone junior to him.

If social media makes Elegushi or Oluwo most appealing kings to this generation, it will be of no consequence to tradition. Royalty is only transferable by birth, so before anybody starts to claim superiority in any kingdom, you will first be asked who your father is. Then they will now determine the crown Prince among the sons of a king is.

Imagine you are claiming superiority in Britain and you are not even related to the Queen, that's how funny it is

1 Like

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by EXOUSIAng: 11:24pm On Nov 28, 2019
OSUigboFlatHead:
grin grin grin

WHENEVER I TELL SOME IGNORANT CHILDREN AND BUSY-BODY OSU PEOPLE THAT ALAAFIN OF OYO IS GREATER THAN OONI OF IFE, THEY WILL JUST BE ARGUING SENSELESSLY

PIKIN WEY NOR KNOW HISTORY undecided undecided undecided

ALAAFIN OF OYO REMAINS THE MOST POWERFUL KING IN YORUBA KINGDOM!
FORGET ALL THESE MEDIA BULLSHEETS AROUND OONI OF IFE.

ok
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Thonypadua(m): 11:28pm On Nov 28, 2019
isthatso:

I have read many respected scholars attest to this. If i recall the original Ooni was either amillegitimate son or not actually a son of oduduwa but his chief priest or something like that and when the true heir to the throne came back from war instead of battling the man on the throne he went on to establish his own kingdon which I beleive is ilaorangunbo. If my recollection is correct, the true 1st line lineage of oduduwa is in ila-orangun

I cant recall accurately but I know that according to some respected accounts ila-orangun and oyo have more supremacy that what we are made to beleive, i.e the Ooni.
boss there's another oba in ife who was described as the original heir of oduduwa, called obalu'fe not ila_orangun.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by femi4: 11:31pm On Nov 28, 2019
OSUigboFlatHead:

shut up

common sense should tell you that they "earned" it.
Omo àlè jatijati
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Thonypadua(m): 11:33pm On Nov 28, 2019
Google7:

The real royals in Nigeria are-#
ALAAFIN, Onikoyi, Alaketu, Onipopo and the rest of Oduduwa's prince's#, All other kings are appointees whose fathers were once slaves of of the Oduduwa royal lineage.

plus olowu of owu kingdom.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by grandstar(m): 11:37pm On Nov 28, 2019
This shouldn't be a surprise after all.

The British used indirect rule through the traditional rulers of their people to govern. That will explain why they were highly paid.

7,000pounds of 1969 was worth 90,000pounds by 1990.

What else can I say but that these guys were living like kings? The Osemawe of Ondo was poorly paid, why? angry angry angry grin grin
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by OSUigboFlatHead(f): 11:40pm On Nov 28, 2019
femi4:
Omo àlè jatijati
ni iye
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Axiwaju(m): 1:41am On Nov 29, 2019
Urchman200:
is this English or my eye is deceiving me?
grin
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by ddeola: 1:54am On Nov 29, 2019
Ogbele o. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by WELEBOO(m): 2:40am On Nov 29, 2019
THIS IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASON AWOLOWO DIDN'T RULE NIGERIA AS PRESIDENT. HOW CAN THE SALARY OF OLUBADAN A SECOND CLASS CHIEF BE BIGGER THAN THAT OF THE OBA OF THE GREAT BENIN EMPIRE?

2 Likes

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Yemisi5(f): 3:13am On Nov 29, 2019
[s]
OSUigboFlatHead:

ni iye
[/s]
trash trash trash
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Caseless: 4:05am On Nov 29, 2019
StUriah:
Just imagine.

Civilization has reduced the hierarchical order among the royal class. The Olubadan as second class Oba was originally a 'Baale' title until it transmuted to an Oba when the Alaafin crowned the title. Despite this, the second class position still superseded some first class Obas.

Oba of Benin, Ooni of Ife and the others have actually lost their importance during the colonial era. Everything was centered around Oyo, Ibadan and Egba land. All what other Obas are doing in this modern period is to rewrite history and create some forms of importance and recognition to their royal class. By the way, where were the Soun of Ogbomosho, Ataoja of Oshogbo, Timi of Ede, in the scheme of things in those days?
I don't think the eweshinor of ondo and that title for the abeokuta king still exist anymore.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Caseless: 4:06am On Nov 29, 2019
grandstar:
This shouldn't be a surprise after all.

The British used indirect rule through the traditional rulers of their people to govern. That will explain why they were highly paid.

7,000pounds of 1969 was worth 90,000pounds by 1990.

What else can I say but that these guys were living like kings? The Osemawe of Ondo was poorly paid, why? angry angry angry grin grin
does that ondo title still exist?
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by tiredoflife(m): 4:36am On Nov 29, 2019
Kingluqman:
This is not the rank of how powerful they are, it’s just their salaries. Mind you, Alaafin was collecting more money than others is because the king oversee all the Oyo Empire which comprises of many towns of Yoruba land even to Benin republic.

Till today, Ooni of Ife still remain the number 1 Oba in Yoruba land and second to Sultan of Sokoto in Nigeria.

Argue with your balls

grin
Why is a yoruba throne below that of the sultan of sokoto
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Oshin56(m): 5:18am On Nov 29, 2019
Funkybabee:

lols... u mean the throne of the father is lesser than is first son... reason very well
whether you like it or not take it or leave it oni of ife is greater there alaafin of oyo. Because according to history every Yoruba migrated from ife
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Nobody: 7:58am On Nov 29, 2019
Thonypadua:
boss there's another oba in ife who was described as the original heir of oduduwa, called obalu'fe not ila_orangun.
I think the Obalufe is traditionaly the prime minister, who runs the town as the King does not leave the palace....i think
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Thecodingslayer: 8:40am On Nov 29, 2019
AkeNathan:
So Alaafin of Oyo is the true King as recognized by the Imperialists.

And these people have reduced him lower than their gbas gbos overhyped one of ife
wait first are you Yoruba?, Because any Yoruba will recognize the ooni of Ife as the highest kingship position in Yoruba, so you're trying to say that because the British have the alaafin of Oyo a bigger salary he is bigger. Let me tell you the ooni of Ife is the highest kingship position in the South West and all other southwestern Kings descended from the first ooni of Ife, according to legend all yorubas even descended from ile-ife so you can't let the British decide your roots for you.
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by grandstar(m): 9:17am On Nov 29, 2019
Caseless:
does that ondo title still exist?

It still does. He's even my in law, though we've never met
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by thatigboman: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2019
unbitchable:

You are an ibo man but you've been going beserk on this thread. This is about Western region and her monarchs, which has absolutely nothing to do with the southeast region. Can you take a rest & crawl back into your hole.
see painment
Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by hadaydhollarpo(m): 10:07am On Nov 29, 2019
AkeNathan:
No wonder the capital of Western region was in Oyo and not in Oshun.
Did we ask you?

Re: Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured) by Funkybabee(f): 12:44pm On Nov 29, 2019
Oshin56:
whether you like it or not take it or leave it oni of ife is greater there alaafin of oyo. Because according to history every Yoruba migrated from ife

And what am I trying to say....

agiooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.