Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or (43308 Views)

Ronaldo Won Saudi Pro League Player Of The Month For February With 8 Goals 2 Ass / Lionel Messi: When Cristiano Levelled Me, I Have To Admit That It Hurt Me A Lot / Messi: It Would Have Been Humiliating If Nigeria Eliminated Us From World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 12:37pm On Dec 03, 2019
Lionel Messi admits “it hurt” when Cristiano Ronaldo joined him on five Ballon d’Or triumphs, with the Barcelona superstar claiming to understand the frustration of a rival who opted not to attend the 2019 ceremony.

Messi had dropped to fifth in the vote 12 months ago, while four years had passed since he was last recognised as the finest player on the planet.

In that time, Portuguese icon Ronaldo added another two Ballons d’Or to his collection, with a run of four wins in the space of five years taking the Juventus forward level with an eternal foe.

Messi admits he found it difficult to see Ronaldo claiming his fifth award and can appreciate why the Juventus star - who was in Milan to collect a Serie A Player of the Year prize on Monday rather Paris - will be experiencing similar emotions in the present.

“On the one hand, I enjoyed having five and being the only one,” Messi told France Football .

“When Cristiano moved level, I admit that it hurt me a bit. I was no longer alone at the top. But it made sense, although it was good when I was alone at five.

“Was I frustrated in the last few years? Let's say I understood why I did not win.

“As a team, we had not achieved our major goal, which was to win the Champions League, which gives you more chances to win the Ballon d'Or.

“When Cristiano Ronaldo won it is because he had achieved great seasons by winning the Champions League and being decisive. It was deserved, there was not much I could do.

“Did I feel injustice? It's up to you to tell me if the Ballon d'Or is awarded to the best player or the one who enjoys the best season.

“It is also down to individual taste. Some prefer Cristiano, others myself or Neymar or [Kylian] Mbappe. People have the right to choose the one they like most.”

Ronaldo finished third in the 2019 vote, the first time he has dropped out of the top two since 2010.

Messi added on the emotions of a man who has helped him to take his own game to even greater heights: “Do I understand Ronaldo's frustration? It is something that we live, feel and express according to our own way of being.

“Once again, the collective titles are the most important thing, even if the individual trophies are rewarding.

“When the Ballon d'Or eludes you, everyone reacts in their own way. But when you are a top athlete, you always want to win.”

Messi finds himself back at the summit of the global game and intends to make the most of such a standing at 32 years of age.

“It is exceptional to win the Ballon d'Or four years in a row, and win another 10 years after the first, it puts into perspective the longevity of my career,” added the South American.

“It's hard to stay competitive for a decade. I was lucky to be able to do it.”

Source: https://www.goal.com/en/news/messi-it-hurt-when-ronaldo-won-his-fifth-ballon-dor/jo9o8ow48ppq1xosllwkuxnrg

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Officialgarri: 12:40pm On Dec 03, 2019
The nervousness was written all over him. He wanted the award so badly

He couldn't imagine a GOAT being compared with a hardworking sheep.

I'm glad he is now ahead and arguments have ended.

Messi with his current performance might win the next Ballon d' or angry

225 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by dawnomike(m): 12:42pm On Dec 03, 2019
Not bad at all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 12:43pm On Dec 03, 2019
Officialgarri:

goat and hard-working sheep got to me cheesy.. he bottled a 4-1 lead before, pray he doesn't bottle this one

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Officialgarri: 12:45pm On Dec 03, 2019
uzoma213:
goat and hard-working sheep got to me cheesy.. he bottled a 4-1 lead before, pray he doesn't bottle this one

I pray he wins the next and the next and the next till his retirement.

I want to Ronaldo to hate him alot and cry everyday at the mention of Messi

127 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by yaksdavirus: 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
I smell Messi will make it 10 before retirement

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
Officialgarri:

hahahaha, oga calm down oo, I'm a Ronaldo fan. I pray he bottles this lead undecided

21 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Smallboy01: 1:01pm On Dec 03, 2019
Messi is always sincere, he loves saying the blunt truth

131 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Freestainworld(m): 1:09pm On Dec 03, 2019
Messi beating people Messilessly

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by sigidi3: 1:10pm On Dec 03, 2019
[s]
Officialgarri:

[/s]

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 1:29pm On Dec 03, 2019
Smallboy01:
I know someone who love saying things as it is, unfiltered and it is Ronaldo, he is mostly seen as arrogant for that

Modified: I made front page cheesy. Keep the likes coming smiley wink

163 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Madaraa1(m): 2:23pm On Dec 03, 2019
Smallboy01:

but when ronaldo say the truth he is proud

206 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by sigidi3: 2:33pm On Dec 03, 2019
[s]
Officialgarri:

[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Smallboy01: 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
Madaraa1:

what truth? Tell me
when Ronaldo won his 5th ballon d'or he told the press that "I'M THE BEST PLAYER OF 20 YEARS"

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 3:58pm On Dec 03, 2019
Madaraa1:

don't mind them

14 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by uzoma213(m): 4:00pm On Dec 03, 2019
Smallboy01:

what truth? Tell me
when Ronaldo won his 5th ballon d'or he told the press that "I'M THE BEST PLAYER OF 20 YEARS"
did he lie? He says what he believes, the only argument could be that a certain Lionel Messi is on par with him

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Jokerman(m): 4:06pm On Dec 03, 2019
I thought Messi fans said Messi doesn't do competitions?? grin

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Smallboy01: 4:23pm On Dec 03, 2019
uzoma213:
did he lie? He says what he believes, the only argument could be that a certain Lionel Messi is on par with him

stfu, how is he right, that arrogant bitch can't lace MESSI'S BOOT.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by hinohsend: 4:32pm On Dec 03, 2019
uzoma213:

Yes, he's delusional. This is Messi admitting to Cristiano deserving the Balon d'or for some years and him not deserving it. Ronaldo can never do that, the dude thinks he should have won Balon D'or this year FFS, saying he deserves more Balon D'ors than Messi and what not.

As far as Ronaldo is probably concerned he deserves every Balon D'or since he started playing. When you cant acknowledge the greatness of your rivals and admit that you can sometimes be beaten, that's now being blunt, that's being delusional and arrogant

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-italy-juv-ronaldo/i-deserve-more-ballon-dor-awards-than-messi-says-ronaldo-idUSKBN1W30LN

78 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Madaraa1(m): 4:58pm On Dec 03, 2019
[quote author=Smallboy01 post=84589648]

what truth? Tell me
when Ronaldo won his 5th ballon d'or he told the press that "I'M THE BEST PLAYER OF 20 YEARS"[/quot

and so what

2 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by 1kbusiness: 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2019
True. But he still kept his head in the game and never stopped improving his game.
Now he is on top again. Truly deserved.

You too can improve on the look of your existing logo today for just 1k and as a bonus, get this season's greetings customized with your own logo and details. amazing right?

Send us a message with your logo today let's get started.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 03, 2019
Stingy Messi

5 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by tydi(m): 5:48pm On Dec 03, 2019
angry

You should be, also would Ronaldo too..
No one loves to fail.
Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by itsme01: 5:50pm On Dec 03, 2019
cool

Honest Messi.. that why we like and prefer you anytime anyday

7 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 03, 2019
Is this a professional speech or a hate speech?

After Ronaldo was robbed of the title,you still got the gut to issue this type of press statement not minding the extent to which he will be affected psychologically...

Mr Messi,go and learn how to make a rival statement or has Ronaldo ever made such statement before to you?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by Sirmuel1(m): 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2019
Messi everyone knows you're the best

3 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by yusfatedeeprof(m): 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2019
Why won't he be hurt, when they decide to give award to agbalumo (penaldo) instead of strawberry (messi)

The only reason penaldo equalled him is the champion league madrid won 3 times consecutively, Messi has always been a better player

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by APOPTOSIS: 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2019
U really deserve all the AWARDS.
The MESSI AH of Soccer.
U have been cheated for too long

8 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by kollinz1234(m): 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
I too like Messi. Too much sense will not kill him.
When both of them were on their peak, Ronaldo was just unnecessarily making noice, making Messi leave up to the competition by fighting even after the end. Now Messi knows that Ronaldo cannot compete with him again and he has started making his own mouth, Ronaldo will just be wallowing in deep frustration now and still cant do nothing as age has abandoned him.

18 Likes

Re: Messi: It Hurt When Ronaldo Won His Fifth Ballon D'or by sotall(m): 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2019
Na

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet Anthony Jude Izuchukwu, Super Eagles New Boy / Cristiano Ronaldo And His Bugatti Chiron Pictured / Football Fans Show Support To Carl Ikeme In England. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.