Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept (19740 Views)

Tesla Owner Implants Keys Into His Own Hands ( Pics, Video) / Why Having Too Many Keys Attached To Your Car Keys Is Bad / 5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by AutoJoshNG: 5:32pm On Dec 11, 2019

Have you ever been locked out of your Toyota Big Daddy while the engine is still running? Have you ever realised you mistakenly locked your car key in the car when she's about to step in on a first date? At this point, you'll immediately realise the importance of the spare key you probably underestimated up until that moment.

What next? Your brain starts to permutate. Who has an iron hanger there? Do I break the little glass between the rear door and the C-Pillar? Where's the locksmith or panel beater? OMG! Why is this happening to me?

Also, some people are fond of misplacing their car keys. An outrightly missing car key can be emotionally draining, time-consuming and financially unprepared for. For example, someone had to embark on an interstate trip to Lagos to get the spare key of his car.

Obviously, the spare key is something you should handle with caution so it can pull through for you when you need it the most.

Let's look at a few places spare keys can be kept. After reading, don't forget to give us some more tips so everyone can learn from you.

1. Family/Friends
One good way to keep your spare car key is to hand it to a trusted person. This could be your spouse, parent, child or trusted friend. Also, ensure it's someone who is easily reachable and readily available.

2. In Your Wallet/Purse
Do you have a secure wallet or purse that's always with you where ever you go? This may just be a good place to have your spare car key especially if it's a little flat key. Having a bulky key in your wallet is definitely a bad idea. However, a flat key or a key card as seen below will fit in nicely. Some people keep the flat key in their wallet, then hide a functional key inside the car. Although, this is not a good idea for those whose cars use smart keys. Imagine someone breaks into your car, they press the brake pedal and push the start button. Viola! The car is gone in less than 60 seconds. They don't even need to look for the smart key as it uses proximity sensors rather than direct contact.

3. A Safe Place At Home
When it comes to safety, the home is the number one place you'll want to keep your spare car keys. However, safety is not the only consideration when you are thinking of keeping your spare key. The ease of accessing the keys during lockout or emergencies is also an important thing to consider. Imagine you have the spare car keys at home and the house key is locked in your car. How would you resolve this?

4. Office/Place Of Work
If you have a secure drawer or safe at your place of work, the spare key of your car may just have found a safe abode. Before you drop that key in your office, ensure it's a place you can have access to any time of the week.

5. On The Body Or Underneath The Car

Surprisingly, this is one tempting place people hide their spares. They wrap the key around a supposedly safe place underneath the car, using a tape. Alternatively, they place the key in a magnetic box and stick the box to the body of the car. Although these techniques seem okay for the keys of relatively old cars, the same can't be said for recent keys - with more electronic features.

The downsides include: The key may fall off due to bumpy and flooded roads, someone might just find the key with ease, the car may sense that the key is around if it uses proximity sensors, etc.

As keypads, smartphone keys and voice recognition continue to gain more recognition, the need for spare keys will continuously diminish.

Have you ever been locked out or misplaced your car keys? Do you have an ingenious way you keep your spare car keys? Let's hear from you in the comment section below.

Don't forget to like, rate and share.
https://autojosh.com/5-common-places-people-keep-their-spare-car-keys/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by coolcharm(m): 5:38pm On Dec 11, 2019
But the car I bought from kankara that year... It didn't have a spare key fa angry

9 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2019
Spare key na for inside fence for house na. If e lost beak fence comot am. Works for me

Or if your mama or wife dey give her. Women no dey ever lost wetin you give them keep

20 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by pocohantas(f): 5:54pm On Dec 11, 2019
I don't need a key to open my car door, I only need my fingers. This is Dec, 2019 - stop driving 1992 cars...

Anyway, I use my spare as pendant grin

9 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by ibkayee(f): 6:08pm On Dec 11, 2019
pocohantas:
I don't need a key to open my car door, I only need my fingers. This is Dec, 2019 - stop driving 1992 cars... grin

Mtchewww tongue

31 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by pocohantas(f): 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2019
ibkayee:

Mtchewww tongue

See them, the people that call 01 cars "brand new". tongue

5 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by ibkayee(f): 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2019
pocohantas:

See them, the people that call 01 cars "brand new". tongue

1 Share

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by ToyinDipo(m): 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2019
ibkayee:

Mtchewww tongue
From your diary, you know that violin is my favourite classical instrument.
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by ibkayee(f): 7:17pm On Dec 11, 2019
ToyinDipo:

From your diary, you know that violin is my favourite classical instrument.
Ayy, great-ish minds think alike cheesy
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by ToyinDipo(m): 7:20pm On Dec 11, 2019
ibkayee:

Ayy, great-ish minds think alike cheesy
Yes o cheesy
I like Sax also and most wind instruments apart from trumpet
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by ibkayee(f): 7:21pm On Dec 11, 2019
ToyinDipo:

Yes o cheesy
I like Sax also and most wind instruments apart from trumpet
I’m indifferent to the trumpet, but sax is king

1 Like

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by Flexherbal(m): 7:15am On Dec 12, 2019
Taken!
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by Sirmuel1(m): 7:17am On Dec 12, 2019
I love that thread on private Jet. I wish to fly one soon
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by GEOANDSONS: 7:18am On Dec 12, 2019
Benz
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by directonpc(m): 7:18am On Dec 12, 2019
We go buy moto next year

3 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by money121(m): 7:22am On Dec 12, 2019
Nice one
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by uuzba(m): 7:24am On Dec 12, 2019
pocohantas:
I don't need a key to open my car door, I only need my fingers. This is Dec, 2019 - stop driving 1992 cars...

Oya buy 2021 car for me

4 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by Roon9(m): 7:26am On Dec 12, 2019
This ma guy once kept his in his car. Dumbest thing I have ever seen

Call for our 250,000mAH lithium-ion solar powerbank that could power your TV, laptop, and up to 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by Ijaycool(f): 7:26am On Dec 12, 2019
coolcharm:
But the car I bought from kankara that year... It didn't have a spare key fa angry

the seller has the spare key, and he has your address. Benin Car Dealers are good at that
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 12, 2019
Ijaycool:

the seller has the spare key, and he has your address. Benin Car Dealers are good at that
To come and repo the car I presume?
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by IbadanNews: 7:33am On Dec 12, 2019
Ronaldo scored last night
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by thesicilian: 7:36am On Dec 12, 2019
This post is probably more beneficial to the car thieves than to the general population.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by vincentjk(m): 7:39am On Dec 12, 2019
My spare key is in my drawer. To me that's the safest place to keep a spare key
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by gonkin(m): 7:41am On Dec 12, 2019
pocohantas:

I use a 92 landcruiser and sometimes i forget it has an option for keys. If it's got electric locks keys. Keyless entry is the koko
Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by potent5(m): 7:49am On Dec 12, 2019
I experienced this sh**t yesterday. I was thinking how to have the car opened. As soon as it was opened, had to get spares sharp sharp.

1 Like

Re: 5 Common Places Where Spare Car Keys Are Kept by amiskurie(m): 7:52am On Dec 12, 2019
I once locked my key in the booth at ibadan while coming back to Lagos, it was not funny

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Review Of Koenigsegg CCXR Special Edition: The Most Expensive Car In The World / Photographs Of Cars Belonging To Celebrities / Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.