Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,773 members, 7,813,562 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? (1753 Views)

My Ideas Can Create Jobs For Nigerian Youths / Why Crucify Dangote For Providing Jobs For Unemployed Graduates. / Confused: Any MSc options for 2.2 Grads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by usetime: 6:01am On Nov 27, 2010
its a failure of mba's ,msc , graduate's with top business
degrees remain job-seekers.

then the whole education system is a flop.
forget the salary you may command.
what happens when your job is threatened? you'll go down
on your knees and beg or form some union to throw some
weight around.
like ASUU, union of bankers etc.
not yabbing you folks.
but look at it.

if you work in a corporation -
somebody started it.
somebody started microsoft, mobile oil, manchester united,
zenith bank, walmart, facebook,

it is the creation of these bold folks , not the government,
that's providing the jobs feeding many mouths.

so mba's , msc's phD's should be trained to become experts
at STARTING something too.
if unschooled people (in business) could start something
how much more those who've paid millions
studied like slaves
,how much more these folks.

This world is a failed place.
shame.
shame on all these institutions that command huge
amounts but churn out c.v pushers.
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by AjanleKoko: 1:55pm On Nov 27, 2010
^^
Nice words, yes.
Aren't you that chap that was asking about ICAN, ACCA, CFA, CIMA, CISA, etc?

Anyway, none of those corporations you mentioned were created in Nigeria. All of them, every single one of them, were created in the USA, the poster boy nation for free enterprise. Do we even have the policies and infrastructure in place to encourage people to start enterprises in Nigeria?

The only thing I can add to your comment is, Nigerians are sort of the loser in the whole game. The MBAs and Mscs available in the prestigious schools abroad, commanding huge amounts of money, are not really required for the Nigerian economy. They won't teach anyone the practical application of knowledge to our environment, they won't really teach anybody how to surmount the various obstacles to free enterprise in Nigeria, and they won't teach the basic skills that we need to succeed in this environment - resilience, integrity, self-belief, and a strong work ethic.

The only end result is that we now have a pool of premium graduates seeking premium employment in a weak economy, crippled by corruption and bad policies conceived by a pack of ignorant tyrants. For me, those programs aren't just worth all the cash they command. Not for Nigeria by any means.
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by lekside44(m): 12:38pm On Nov 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^

, The MBAs and Mscs available in the prestigious schools abroad, commanding huge amounts of money, are not really required for the Nigerian economy. They won't teach anyone the practical application of knowledge to our environment, they won't really teach anybody how to surmount the various obstacles to free enterprise in Nigeria, and they won't teach the basic skills that we need to succeed in this environment - resilience, integrity, self-belief, and a strong work ethic.

sure, these people are opportunists.
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by cecegorz(m): 10:34am On Dec 01, 2010
Nah nah nah.
My guy, higher degrees are not basically meant to teach you how to create jobs. they are structured to equip you with skill sets for managing an on -going concern. You surely don't need an MBA to start a business.
By the time people spend such fortune on higher degrees, their mindset is cued up for  the next big company to go and recoup 'investment'  grin  grin

Check it out, MOST of these businesses you mentioned were started by individuals without even a first degree, not to talk of MBAs. What most people have failed to understand or acknowledge is that Nigerians are not lacking in Business start -ups, but there are a cocktail of issues militating against the growth and flourishing of these businesses. i will list some;

1.Lack of requisite business laws/policies that allows the growth of enterprise. Believe it or not, If your govt. can't protect your industries, either by commision or omission, you are SUNK. That's why right thinking heads of state normally visit other countries with a retinue of business men, helping them to secure global businesses that will ultimately impact positively on thier hme economy. I think PAN was well off when all govt MDAs were mandated to use the good old Peugeot, stimulating more productivity and man-power requirement, now they all prefer bullet proof jaguars  grin  grin. The local industries, becoming the worst for it, including all the spin-off industries that supplies the auto with smaller parts and services.

2.'I have arrived mentality'- This is a terrible culture, we like to throw parties around, build big mansions in the village (probably not spent more than 30days in a whole year there), buy big cars and generally live large once the business makes some profit, insatead of reinvesting in the business and expand frontiers.

3.Family businesses that dies with the founder - We like creating 'and sons' and 'and bros' company Ltd, bringing in family relatives and friends without any single idea of business trends. Every body plays along until the founder dies, they share/loot the rest and dissapear. Look at the Abiola group and the rest   
That's why the likes of Dangote and Jimoh Ibrahim are setting better trends by taking their companies public, ensuring continuity even after their demise.
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by Mcleo007(m): 8:35pm On Dec 03, 2010
cecegorz:

Nah nah nah.
My guy, higher degrees are not basically meant to teach you how to create jobs. they are structured to equip you with skill sets for managing an on -going concern. You surely don't need an MBA to start a business.
By the time people spend such fortune on higher degrees, their mindset is cued up for  the next big company to go and recoup 'investment'  grin  grin

Check it out, MOST of these businesses you mentioned were started by individuals without even a first degree, not to talk of MBAs. What most people have failed to understand or acknowledge is that Nigerians are not lacking in Business start -ups, but there are a cocktail of issues militating against the growth and flourishing of these businesses. i will list some;

1.Lack of requisite business laws/policies that allows the growth of enterprise. Believe it or not, If your govt. can't protect your industries, either by commision or omission, you are SUNK. That's why right thinking heads of state normally visit other countries with a retinue of business men, helping them to secure global businesses that will ultimately impact positively on thier hme economy. I think PAN was well off when all govt MDAs were mandated to use the good old Peugeot, stimulating more productivity and man-power requirement, now they all prefer bullet proof jaguars  grin  grin. The local industries, becoming the worst for it, including all the spin-off industries that supplies the auto with smaller parts and services.

2.'I have arrived mentality'- This is a terrible culture, we like to throw parties around, build big mansions in the village (probably not spent more than 30days in a whole year there), buy big cars and generally live large once the business makes some profit, insatead of reinvesting in the business and expand frontiers.

3.Family businesses that dies with the founder - We like creating 'and sons' and 'and bros' company Ltd, bringing in family relatives and friends without any single i
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by yamakuza: 5:28pm On Jan 10, 2012
Interesting!

Brb.
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by AjanleKoko: 11:08pm On Jan 10, 2012
A good example is Dr Okonjo Iweala.
Some of her statements are not becoming of a PhD economist.
I saw her powerpoint on Fuel Subsidy on her Facebook page. If you did a presentation like that in my office, you would have been laughed out of the meeting. Very poor, no information, just a cooked up bunch of random facts. How can that kind of person create any kind of business?
Re: Why Can't MSc & MBA Grads Create Jobs For Themselves? by globaljobs(m): 6:12pm On Jan 11, 2012
Starting a business has nothing to do with the degree you have. It's a function of whether you have the 'employee mentality' or the employer mentality.

If all your life you dream of starting something of your own, you will eventually do so whether you have the capital or you have to raise it anyway you know how.

The problem with graduates stuck on looking for white collar jobs and becoming dejected and a menace to society when they can't find one is because schools teach students/undergraduates the employee mentality.

hence, when they graduate and can't find a paid job, they consider themselves a failure.

Too bad!

(1) (Reply)

Surveying And Geoinformatics Vs Architecture Somebody Please Help Me! / Flooring Training In Abuja / B.sc In Microbiology,what Cource Or Programme Shld I Take To Work In An Oil Comp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.