Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions (36042 Views)

CBN Debunks Plan To Shut Down Financial Transactions Over Elections / CBN Introduces N6.98 Charges For USSD Services / CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by dipoolowoo: 2:37pm On Dec 16, 2019
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has created a new category of Bank Verification Numbers (BVNs) known as BVN Lite, saying this would help to capture financially excluded people in the country.

Governor of CBN, Mr Godwin Emefiele, made this disclosure on the sidelines of the of the 11th annual Bankers Committee retreat held in Ogere, Ogun State last week.

According to Mr Emefiele, the requirements for the registration of this new BVN would be lesser than the previous one carried out some years ago in the banking industry. He said those captured under the BVN Lite would be limited to certain financial transactions.

“We now have about 40 million people on the BVN platform. We think that because of the benefits of the BVN to bank customers and the economy there is a need to consolidate and move BVN to a new level, something like 2.0,” he said.
ALSO READ We Never Sacked 650 Workers—Sterling Bank

“What it entails is to reclassify and segregate transactions that can be held by BVN. For instance, we have two classifications. The existence BVN requirement that we have in the system has almost about 18 lines of information that are required, and where your 10 prints and fingers are taken to ensure that all transactions that you take are within the banking system.

“We have decided to classify that as BVN classic and BVN premium. But we agreed that there should also be a system where people who are today financially excluded can now be financially included. Here, we are talking about creating another segment called BVN Lite.

“Here, minimal information about the person will be held. What is means is that if you are classified a BVN Lite, then there is a limit to the kind of transactions you can conduct in the banking sector, maybe in terms of deposit or loans,” Mr Emefiele added.
ALSO READ Buhari’s Visit: Banks Open for Business in Lagos

He explained that this move was part of the CBN’s efforts to drive modern financial accessibility and inclusion to rural communities who are excluded from the banking system and through the collaborative efforts with the National Communication Commission (NCC), they will able to conduct certain transactions.

“There are people who are currently financially excluded, like people in our rural communities that carry phones but not having financial services. With the collaboration of NCC, we are putting this BVN arrangement to allow them to conduct minimal financial services.

“It should be possible for us to migrate this person into the BVN Lite arrangement where they can conduct minimal financial services, not just banking services, but minimal financial services, insurance and anything you want to conduct in terms of finance whether electronic payment or anything, you can do it with the aid of your phone.

“Some of our brethren that are doing the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme or the Social Investment Programme, we believe we can use the BVN Lite as an arrangement so that everybody can be financially included.

“Now as you bring them into the financial system, what it will do is that it will help to increase our rate of financial inclusion and reduce the exclusion rate,” he said.
https://businesspost.ng/banking/cbn-introduces-bvn-lite-for-minimal-financial-transactions/

1 Like

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by gurujoe(m): 2:44pm On Dec 16, 2019
This is good for the under banked

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Brandstudio01: 2:44pm On Dec 16, 2019
For me this comment is neither here nor there. I was just struggling to pull together the real purpose of the campaign. It was like a statement from a drunk officer.

Please explain, if you truly understand where this man is driving at. Because I'm lost here

Anyway, I will Build a Professional Logo for your Product or Company For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me up.

126 Likes 7 Shares

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Subduer: 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2019
Cash is King. Ask Fulani cattle traders, or Lebanese, & Hausa traders.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by sotall(m): 3:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
undecided

Useless programs ad policies.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by maynattion(f): 3:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
Please lemme go off topic,
You people should help me ask Se.un where rule 17 is. angry angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by drizslim(m): 3:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
Z3kdfxv7 if u still play this till now

Juss know ur village people is winning

4 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by SoftDealz: 3:22pm On Dec 16, 2019
Tax with no money in circulation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Abalado(f): 3:23pm On Dec 16, 2019
Which one is BVN lite again,,,, as in facebook lite?? Everything under this government is nothing but surprise.... Local man is surprised o

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by superamoled: 3:23pm On Dec 16, 2019
When they initially came up with the requirements of BVN, they didn't know that the requirements were hard to meet for many Nigerians

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by nairaman66(m): 3:25pm On Dec 16, 2019
Very funny from the apex bank! Segregation in the banking sector. BVN should be what it stands for! Or this guy means we now have bvn-2G or bvn-5G??

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by NaijadrivaCars: 3:26pm On Dec 16, 2019
Come to the North here, how many northerners have bank accounts, no matter how rich? The best they can do is have dollar account.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by pinkyruledworld(m): 3:26pm On Dec 16, 2019
I don't understand
Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Bustincole(m): 3:26pm On Dec 16, 2019
BVN lite .... dis pple just dey look for ways to loot masses

I want to relocate to France... help me out

17 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by BizBayo: 3:28pm On Dec 16, 2019
What about BVN gold?

8 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Bbbwings: 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2019
these guys are not serious
Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by nellyelitz(m): 3:30pm On Dec 16, 2019
What is he really saying, i'm finding hard to pick any sense from the info. Maybe i'm dull today pls someone can help me out.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by kokomilala(m): 3:34pm On Dec 16, 2019
Lite or heavyweight or whatever. I think what should bother the CBN amongst other things is the erosion of its integrity that erring commercial banks are doing.Last year the CBN issued a directive that failed cashless transactions be reversed within 24 hrs.If the affected banks reneged,then a compensation of 10 k be paid to the affected customer. No bank is obeying this order.This financial impunity is making people lose faith in the ability of banks to inspire trust in them.And,I'm seeing the CBN as a toothless regulatory body,cloaking the commercial banks in collective immunity.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by TheAlchemist: 3:34pm On Dec 16, 2019
BVN lite
Stamp duty lite uploading!

3 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Champneys: 3:43pm On Dec 16, 2019
Emefiele is a simpleton.
There is really no need for this nonsense administrative layer or process.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by clarocuzioo(m): 3:44pm On Dec 16, 2019
Why do I have a feeling that this is all about NORTH?

9 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 16, 2019
CBN don dey produce snacks, the name bvn lite is

But on a more serious not if only 40 million is on the actual bvn platform, that mean we have less than 40 million active account and lesser number of gainfully employed holder.
Truly there is hunger in the land

4 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 16, 2019
BVN>>>Finger Print>>>>Facial Recog>>>>Perception Retina Filtration>>>>NanoCHip>>>>>666! Agenda 21

@dVICE?

Go offgrid, Get a Safe Deposit, and convert all legal tender to $$$ and drop into SafeDepositBox, bank like a Boss, offgrid.

Be more than a mere human.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by 9jatriot(m): 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2019
Just 40 million BVN. Total number of voters in any presidential election is never more than this 40m. Total number of telecom subscribers in the country is around 80 million which is mostly because many people have more than one line.
Any time we have data that is close to accurate, it always seem to suggest that the so called 200 million population in Nigeria is a political value. For some reasons I find it hard to believe that we are up to 200m. I really struggle to believe it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by musicwriter(m): 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2019
Pure duplicity.
Banks already open accounts that allow limit of amount and what could be done with such account.

I won't be surprised if someone is ploting a grand theft.

6 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by Yankee101: 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2019
Summary: Mobile banking
Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by linearity: 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2019
superamoled:
When they initially came up with the requirements of BVN, they didn't know that the requirements were hard to meet for many Nigerians

Am confused, what are the ‘hard to meet requirements’ for getting a BVN?

I still can’t outline any, unless maybe access to a Centre to register, but if that is the case; how are they going to register people fir the so-called BVN-Lite?....and wouldn’t they have used the same method to do BVN?

My opinion is, I doubt there is anyone in Nigeria who wants to participate in the banking sector today that the only reason for not doing it is because of their inability to obtain BVN; except off course for fraudulent individuals and those into illegal business.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by omoadeleye(m): 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2019
Brandstudio01:
For me this comment is neither here nor there. I was just struggling to pull together the real purpose of the campaign. It was like a statement from a drunk officer.

Please explain, if you truly understand where this man is driving at

I think the old man was trying to say, those who are living in the locality area where bank is very far from there will be able to perform limited banking services on their phone
Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by mastermaestro(m): 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2019
clarocuzioo:
Why do I have a feeling that this is all about NORTH?

It is! You are smart dude.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by emeejinsm: 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2019
Criminals
Re: CBN Introduces BVN Lite For Minimal Financial Transactions by stanisbaratheon: 4:12pm On Dec 16, 2019
To help politicians stay off the radar while stealing and laundering money.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know Empire Nigeria? / I Got Defrauded By My Bank / #BankWars. Sterling Bank Apologises For Shading Other Banks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.