Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,113 members, 7,838,820 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Saturday Or Sunday - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saturday Or Sunday (4184 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Drusilla(f): 8:26pm On Jun 14, 2007
Bari-Kade,

I thought the temple priests always got a part of the tithes as the way that they "lived". This is why pastors are paid out of the tithes now, right?

Levites were not expected to work outside jobs but to instead "make money" by proceeds from tithes. This was their living.

Some say it was in the course of them doing their temple work on the sabbath, that they profaned the sabbath. Thus their job caused them to profane the sabbath.

I do not know.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 9:31pm On Jun 14, 2007
@Drusilla,

Let me say you would have a point on just one basis: who are we talking about?

If we're discussing the levites, I'm sure that would spiral off again into something else. But if we're concerned about what applies to EVERY person who keeps the sabbath law (in which case they often argue from EXODUS), then we would have to ask such people to proffer the exemptions from that very same Law. Failing to do so is failing to understand the core issue; and all else are excuses.

Let me point out a few things:

Levites lived from their TEMPLE services.
         Question: are we levites as Christians?

Levitical services were in the TEMPLE.
         Question: does that translate to a secular job in the hospital?

The levitical priesthood was a gift (Num. 8:18-19)*.
         Question: are hospital staff in SDA a gift? Unto who?

The Levitical priesthood was not established to take salaries.
         Question: where is the verse that excuses earning salaries on sabbath days?

The Christian priesthood was not derived from the levitical priesthood (Heb. 7:11-17)*.
         Question: what excuse does a Christian have for making money on Sabbath days?

I could go on and on; and however we look at it the jigsaw often picked for such exemptions to profane the OT Law of the Sabbath would never fit for salary observers. Not even remotely in one single line.

Baseline: there are no exemptions in the Law for a secular job (hospitals outside the levitical TEMPLE) to earn salaries under the guise of "Jesus said to do good!" If any sabbatarian wants to "do good", he should do so and reject any salaries acruing to him or her on any sabbath day they go to work. Mind you, that would again be working - a direct infringement on the stipulations of the sabbath Law.

----------------------

*Here are the references cited for easy reading:

Num. 8:18-19  --  "(18) And I have taken the Levites for all the firstborn of the children
                                    of Israel.

(19) And I have given the Levites as a gift to Aaron and to his sons
                                    from among the children of Israel, to do the service of the children of
                                    Israel in the tabernacle of the congregation, and to make an
                                    atonement for the children of Israel: that there be no plague among
                                    the children of Israel, when the children of Israel come nigh unto the
                                    sanctuary."

Heb. 7:11-17  --  "(11) If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood,
                                  (for under it the people received the law,) what further need
                                  was there that another priest should rise after the order of
                                  Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

(12) For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity
                                   a change also of the law.
                                    - - -
                                   (14) For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which
                                   tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

(15) And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of
                                   Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

(16) Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment,
                                   but after the power of an endless life.

(17) For he testifieth,
                                   Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 5:07am On Jun 15, 2007
@ Mekoyo

The death of JESUS CHRIST on the cross of calvary has broken all these laws, we are now free, free from the law.

That is far from the truth! Listen to what Jesus said:

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Clear and simple isn't it?

Listen to Paul as he uplifts the 10 commandments:

Romans 7:7 "What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

My friend the problem doesn't lie with God's law, the problem lies with sin. Any honest christian reading Paul's discourse in Romans 7 would readily see that the law defines sin, and serves its place. To say that Jesus' death has freed christians from obeying the 10 commandments is gross and plain dishonesty.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 5:29am On Jun 15, 2007
@ Drusilla

Bari-kade,

Okay. Your looking for a certain exemption about making money. I don't know. That can be kind of confusing.

Technically all Levites made their living from their work in the temple and that would include what they did in the temple on the sabbath, right?

Did they profane the sabbath because of working and getting paid for their work on the sabbath?

Hmmm. That is an interesting question of why they "profaned" it.

Bari_kade reasons the same technical way the jewish leaders would have in the time of Christ. SDA christians operate hospitals and clinics, and our approach to health care is far different to how its normally carried out in the secular world. It is this uniqueness that we bring to the public based on the philosophy of uniting health, education and evengilsim as one ministry, the same manner in which Christ did.

Now how would look if we closed our hospital doors to the public on a sabbath because we are SDAs? How would it look if an SDA doctor in church were to ignore a medical emergency because he is not supposed to navigate from some archaic, geographically based set of rules and stipulations?

How would Jesus have dealt with a situation of this nature if He were here in our generation? Would He have given the same pharasaical advice as Bari_kade?

Bari_kade knows he cannot side step God's words, so he looks for technicalities to promote his arguments. SDA medical professionals are paid like any other persons who work. To argue that we collect pay for work done on the sabbath is grossly inept, and only shows up deficiencies in such frivalous arguments. If that is how he debates truth he has got something coming.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 9:14am On Jun 15, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

Bari_kade reasons the same technical way the jewish leaders would have in the time of Christ. SDA christians operate hospitals and clinics, and our approach to health care is far different to how its normally carried out in the secular world. It is this uniqueness that we bring to the public based on the philosophy of uniting health, education and evengilsim as one ministry, the same manner in which Christ did.

You've been the one often quoting the Bible saying that "not one jot or tittle shall pass from the Law" (Matt. 5:18 ) - as you just did to mekoyo. Everytime that very line is presented to you in its full import, your SDA scheme for making money as excuses for your pockets is exposed; and then you begin to complain about the way bari_kade reasons. I've asked questions; you have no answers. Your excuses cannot atone for the hypocrisy of calling to every jot and tittle while making exemptions to break that very code.

Bobbyaf:

Now how would look if we closed our hospital doors to the public on a sabbath because we are SDAs? How would it look if an SDA doctor in church were to ignore a medical emergency because he is not supposed to navigate from some archaic, geographically based set of rules and stipulations?

I see how you reason. Ever since I've been pointing you back to your exculpations for the SDA exemptions, not one time has the core concern been about geography. The Sabbath Law applies in every location where you want to preach it, because "it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings" (Lev. 23:3). If the SDA really wants to "do good", they should serve the public in their hospitals irrespective of their geographical locations without taking salaries and making money on the Sabbath days.

Now, let me ask you: Do you get paid on such sabbath days when you and your SDA medical personnel work in your hospitals?

Further, it is immoral and dishonest to preach the Commandment and Law for the seventh-day Sabbath, and then complain that it is "some archaic, geographically based set of rules and stipulations" simply because you have found it difficult to keep the same Law that you preach! Why even bother preaching a "thus saith the LORD" when you can so irreverently refer to the LORD's Law as "archaic"? If it seems to you that the Sabbath Law is antiquated, why have you been sweating to hold the same Law against others when you cannot keep it according to its divine injunctions?

Bobbyaf:

How would Jesus have dealt with a situation of this nature if He were here in our generation? Would He have given the same pharasaical advice as Bari_kade?

If bari_kade's posts are pharasaical to you, I'm sure that not even Jesus Christ would advocate an excuse for the SDA to make money and collect salaries for what they do on sabbath days. You want to go by every "jot or tittle" of the Law? Then do exactly as the Law stipulates without complaining that it is archaic!

Bobbyaf:

Bari_kade knows he cannot side step God's words, so he looks for technicalities to promote his arguments.

Even a child would understand my appeal to go by what God says in His Word. The 'technicalities' you're complaining about simply expose your fraud for preaching the Law while yet excusing yourself in order to make money for your pockets.

There is just one simple principle that I apply in my study of God's Word; and it is given by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself:

"He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?" - Luke 10:26.

You can't cheat any careful reader of God's Word by pretending to uphold it and yet irreverently regarding it as "archaic"!!

Bobbyaf:

SDA medical professionals are paid like any other persons who work. To argue that we collect pay for work done on the sabbath is grossly inept, and only shows up deficiencies in such frivalous arguments. If that is how he debates truth he has got something coming.

Now, my dear Drusilla, can you see how your SDA 'pompey' has managed to burst his own bubble? grin

Bob, you have only ridiculed every line of your argument since we started debating this issue. Having proclaimed a "thus saith the LORD" and "not one jot or tittle shall pass from the Law", you have now exposed the SDA hypocrisy of preaching what they cannot keep! Here, let me remind you of what the Law says about your own seventh-day sabbath:

Exo. 20: (9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
(10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:
in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter,
thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger
that is within thy gates.

Exo. 31: (14) Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you:
every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever
doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
(15) Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest,
holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day,
he shall surely be put to death.

Exo. 35: (2) Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there
shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD:
whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

I remember you boasted that "only time will prove who is right, or who is wrong!" Ol' boy, look again at all the "thus saith the LORD" above - they're from EXODUS: the very same book from which YOU have been preaching your Sabbath Law! As you've done before, call it 'archaic' or 'grossly inept' or even 'ridiculous' if you may; but not even the SDA will be able to obliterate what the Law says. Remember your fav quote - "not one jot or tittle shall pass from the Law"? Now, it is staring you in the face - fix your dilemma!

----------------------------

The point I've been making is quite straightforward: the Sabbath Law was not made for Christians. We find our true rest in Jesus Christ Himself; and not in the ritual observance of any day, for EVERYDAY is holy and blessed for the Christian.

So, whether you work on any day at all, what matters at the end of the day is that you find your true rest constantly in Jesus Christ, while at the same time walking in holiness every single day regardless of where you work!

@Drusilla, talk to your brother - he knows the Law but would rather regard it with irreverence in order to make money for his pocket while accusing non-sabbatarians with his typical SDA slobbers. Regards.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 9:46am On Jun 15, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

SDA medical professionals are paid like any other persons who work.

Hypocrisy would be an understated word to describe your arguments. By that one line, you have rubbished every argument you've had in the past.

So, the SDA get paid - like any other persons who work, right?

Good. So, what happens to every other non-SDAs medical professional who works in other hospitals? What happens to non-SDA engineers who sometimes work on Saturdays and get paid for their work?

And oh, I many times do my shopping on Saturdays and pay the cashiers at the checking-out points for the groceries and other stuff I buy: those cashiers work on Saturdays and get paid!

Footballers get paid as well for their work in professional tournaments which they play work on Saturdays.

And ahh. . . perhaps Nehemiah should not have protested to those men who brought all manner of ware so they could make money and get paid for their work; afterall, you said your own SDA medical professionals "are paid" like ANY OTHER persons who work!!  tongue

You're such a laugh!  grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Synthase(m): 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2007
@Bari
I share your sentiment that sabbath law is not for christians and that everyday is holy___ afterall Jesus was accused because of what his disciple did on sabbath (Matt 12) and he gave a good response which applies to me as a christian today (vs 8- for the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath.), I dont know about another person.

On the other hand the medical SDA man should not be blamed for being paid on sabbath abi was his medical education free? grin even Jesus said it is lawful to do good on sabbath in fact He did (vs 12-13), He said somewhere concerning free gift that freely you have received freely you should give so, if the man collect money abeg dont blame him afterall the man no use scholarship pass through medical school. grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 5:00pm On Jun 15, 2007
@Synthase,

Synthase:

He said somewhere concerning free gift that freely you have received freely you should give so, if the man collect money abeg don't blame him afterall the man no use scholarship pass through medical school. grin

The Sabbath was not set up so man could make salaries from his education for from it! grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 5:15pm On Jun 15, 2007
@Synthase,

Thank you for your lines. However, I don't think that the seventh-day sabbath LAW leaves room for any money making vocation - whatever exculpations anyone gives. It is either Christians are under the Sabbath LAW; or we are not.

Bottomline: Christians find their true rest in Jesus Christ, and everyday (not just the seventh day) is holy. Work and earn your living - but let no one pretend that others who work on Saturday are rebels simply because they are not SDA.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 9:18am On Jun 16, 2007
@ Stimulus

@Bobbyaf,

Quote from: Bobbyaf on Yesterday at 05:29:03 AM
SDA medical professionals are paid like any other persons who work.

Hypocrisy would be an understated word to describe your arguments. By that one line, you have rubbished every argument you've had in the past.

Thank God thats only your opinion.

So, the SDA get paid - like any other persons who work, right?
  grin That is what I said!

Good. So, what happens to every other non-SDAs medical professional who works in other hospitals? What happens to non-SDA engineers who sometimes work on Saturdays and get paid for their work?

You tell me! They are not the issue. I am addressing medical professionals, not any other type of profession, since medical professionals are the only ones who are given permission to help the sick, or to attend to anyone who needs  on the Lord's day.

And oh, I many times do my shopping on Saturdays and pay the cashiers at the checking-out points for the groceries and other stuff I buy: those cashiers work on Saturdays and get paid!

Footballers get paid as well for their work in professional tournaments which they play work on Saturdays.

All those examples above are irrelevant to the point of discussion. It is never an issue as to what non-SDAs choose to do on Saturdays depending on what they know about the Lord's requirements and commands.

You have not yet dealt with the real issue have you? If Jesus said it is permitted to do good on the sabbath then who are you to think otherwise? Why try to complicate the issue? SDAs don't seem to have a problem following Christ's admonition, so why should you?   

And ahh. . . perhaps Nehemiah should not have protested to those men who brought all manner of ware so they could make money and get paid for their work; afterall, you said your own SDA medical professionals "are paid" like ANY OTHER persons who work!!

What does deliberately breaking the sabbath have to do with what Jesus said about doing good on the sabbath? I really wonder who is the object of laughter here, based on such silly reasoning?

You're such a laugh! 
  grin I'd think twice if I were you! [quote][/quote]
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 9:26am On Jun 16, 2007
@ Bari_Kade

Just to avoid a long drawn out discussion with you I will say this much. SDA medical professionals do free work on the sabbath. We do not get paid for acts of mercy on the sabbath. Not once have you ever asked if that were the case have you?

If you have any further questions I'd be more than glad to assist you! grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 9:47am On Jun 16, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

Just to avoid a long drawn out discussion with you I will say this much. SDA medical professionals do free work on the sabbath. We do not get paid for acts of mercy on the sabbath. Not once have you ever asked if that were the case have you?

Even at that, you do realize that you have blown your own arguments for the Sabbath, don't you? Asking that people should obey the seventh-day sabbath according the Law is not going to help you. That is why I asked you so many times to clearly state where you derived your law from - GENESIS or EXODUS - and you kept dodging that very question even up until today!!

Your question of "acts of mercy" should not be an excuse for the huge problems you've caused by admitting to the exculpations for making money on the Sabbath day. What is of grave concern to anyone who reads your argument is that, just because people are not SDAs does not mean that you should have accused them to be "Babylon" for worshipping on Sunday. Whether by Biblical history and doctrine of the Word, the SDA got it wrong! And that is what I've demonstrated here.

If you can see that Christians were not called to obey the Law of the Sabbath in EXODUS, then try not accusing non SDAs as Babylon or whatever else you're accustomed to. When you open your heart and eyes to His Word, then you will find most of your problems dissolved.

Bobbyaf:

If you have any further questions I'd be more than glad to assist you!

You really have nothing to say. There are questions you have refused to address, so it's no use advertizing what you can't do.

Regards.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 10:06am On Jun 16, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

There are a few things I'd like to pick up from yours to stimulus. I'm really concerned that many times when people try to discuss issues, it becomes a laugh to read that passions are offered as substitute for reason. This has never helped and will never help progress any subject being discussed.

Bobbyaf:

You tell me! They are not the issue. I am addressing medical professionals, not any other type of profession, since medical professionals are the only ones who are given permission to help the sick, or to attend to anyone who needs  on the Lord's day.

Medical professionals, as you stated earlier, work "like any other persons who work" - and they get paid for it. You shouldn't try to excuse the SDA for circumventing and exculpating the requirements of the Sabbath according to the same Law that they preach but cannot keep!

Bobbyaf:

All those examples above are irrelevant to the point of discussion. It is never an issue as to what non-SDAs choose to do on Saturdays depending on what they know about the Lord's requirements and commands.

As far as you have stated that those medical professionals in the SDA work like any other persons, they are relevant examples. You can't parry this issue now, no matter how embarrassing to the SDA they are.

Bobbyaf:

You have not yet dealt with the real issue have you? If Jesus said it is permitted to do good on the sabbath then who are you to think otherwise? Why try to complicate the issue? SDAs don't seem to have a problem following Christ's admonition, so why should you?

Did Jesus Christ ask anyone to make money and get paid under the excuse of "doing good" on the Sabbath Day? It is well to do good - let that be stated; so that you don't continue to think anyone here is saying we should not do good. But the question is: where did Christ ask us to make money on the Sabbath Day under the excuse that we are "doing good"?

Bobbyaf:

What does deliberately breaking the sabbath have to do with what Jesus said about doing good on the sabbath? I really wonder who is the object of laughter here, based on such silly reasoning?

It is now a laugh to try and make excuses for salalries for SDA professionals, but think that non-SDA are Babylon if they do not follow the ideas of SDA about the Sabbath. This hypocrisy is not a virtue for anyone who seeks to harangue others for what they can't keep.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 10:26am On Jun 16, 2007
@ Bari_kade

Even at that, you do realize that you have blown your own arguments for the Sabbath, don't you? Asking that people should obey the seventh-day sabbath according the Law is not going to help you. That is why I asked you so many times to clearly state where you derived your law from - GENESIS or EXODUS - and you kept dodging that very question even up until today!!

Dodging you say?  smiley

Listen, I have told you before that the principle of the law of 10 commandments has always existed, both in the Genesis dispensation as well as the Mosaic dispensation, and even in our dispensation, because those principles were meant to be eternal. The only difference is that for the first time it was transcripted on tables of stones when the author Himself wrote them with His own fingers.

Sins committed now, and the those committed then,  are still sins, and will always be defined by God's eternal law.

Your question of "acts of mercy" should not be an excuse for the huge problems you've caused by admitting to the exculpations for making money on the Sabbath day. What is of grave concern to anyone who reads your argument is that, just because people are not SDAs does not mean that you should have accused them to be "Babylon" for worshipping on Sunday. Whether by Biblical history and doctrine of the Word, the SDA got it wrong! And that is what I've demonstrated here.

Your accusing me of causing problems is tantamount to accusing Jesus of saying that it is permitted to do good on the sabbath. He said it not me. I am simply repeating what He admonished in the light of the very same stipulations the jewish leaders brought on the disciples, and Jesus Himself. Thats why I raised the idea of those stipulations that you're poinying me to in Exudus were meant for those rebellious people who didn't have the spiritual maturity to wait for the very same law that Moses went to collect from God. With their rebellious nature what else did you expect Moses to do, but to initiate stipulations so as to protect what was very important to God.  

If you were to go back to my arguments about babylon, you'd have realized that I didn't accuse persons of not being christians. Not once did I accuse person's sincerity about what they were led to believe. I accused them of being apart of a system that is seen as "babylon", or religious confusion, and that God through His end-time church is calling all those that belong to Him to "come out of her" (see Revelation 14 and 16)

This is not my teaching, but God's.

All this was based on the fact of what Jesus Himself said about calling His scattered sheep back to His flock or fold. You as well as I know that there are hundreds of denominations all teaching different doctrines. Besides, you of all persons could never fail to bear in mind what Jesus reminded us of in Matthew 24 about the rise of false prophets and teachers coming in His name.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 11:03am On Jun 16, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

I wonder if you're just interested in mere arguments when you have not been able to defend the fallacies of the SDA built around what they cannot keep. You're wasting your time trying to defend a salary scheme wrapped around the SDA excuses for breaking a Law that they pretend they're keeping, but which you have unwittingly exposed as quite to the contrary.

Bobbyaf:

Listen, I have told you before that the principle of the law of 10 commandments has always existed, both in the Genesis dispensation as well as the Mosaic dispensation, and even in our dispensation, because those principles were meant to be eternal. The only difference is that for the first time it was transcripted on tables of stones when the author Himself wrote them with His own fingers.

You're the same person who could not find that Law in Genesis; and you're yet the very same person who could not find that Law given to Adam in Genesis! Infact, you are the same person who said that the Sabbath did not exist as a commandment in Genesis; but now, you're coming back to your convoluted statements again.

If you go back to Exodus again, you will find the clear imprints of the sabbath as a LAW! Now, since you argued for the seventh-day sabbath commandment from EXODUS (and not rather from Genesis), then you're expressing an idea based on the Mosaic Law! Doing so requires that you face the stipulations of the same Mosaic Law for the sabbath. Failing to follow the stipulations actually means that you have no sabbath law earlier than Exodus.

Since you cannot find a specific commandment any earlier than EXODUS for the seventh-day sabbath, there's no basis for pretending to uphold the 10 commandments in that book and refusing to adhere to its prescriptions.

Bobbyaf:

Sins committed now, and the those committed then, are still sins, and will always be defined by God's eternal law.

Good. The Law requires that Sabbath breakers be surely put to death - Exo. 31:14 & 35:2. Going to work on the sabbath so that you can make money for your pockets is actually breaking the sabbath. "Do good", Jesus says; but where did he excuse your salaries and getting paid for work done on the Sabbath? If the excuse for the SDA medical staff is just about a convenient exculpation to circumvent the Law, there is no reason for you to accuse anything against non-SDAs.

Bobbyaf:

Your accusing me of causing problems is tantamount to accusing Jesus of saying that it is permitted to do good on the sabbath.

You are not Jesus Christ; and if you excuse your breaking the Law, don't try hiding under that excuse. Jesus Christ never once referred to God's Law as "ridiculous" - the very thing you have done; and I wonder what he would be saying as He reads your post denouncing God's Law as "archaic"!

Bobbyaf:

He said it not me. I am simply repeating what He admonished in the light of the very same stipulations the jewish leaders brought on the disciples, and Jesus Himself.

Jesus Christ did not say anything about excuses the stipulations of the Law. If he ever did, please adduce texts for that. Do not put words in His mouth to justify your fallacies.

Bobbyaf:

Thats why I raised the idea of those stipulations that you're poinying me to in Exudus were meant for those rebellious people who didn't have the spiritual maturity to wait for the very same law that Moses went to collect from God. With their rebellious nature what else did you expect Moses to do, but to initiate stipulations so as to protect what was very important to God.

So, let me ask you: what is very important to God in your exemptions and exculpations to the stipulations of the same Law?

Accusing others of being rebellious and yet breaking the Law with your excuses is not demonstrating your obedience to that Law.

Bobbyaf:

If you were to go back to my arguments about babylon, you'd have realized that I didn't accuse persons of not being christians. Not once did I accuse person's sincerity about what they were led to believe. I accused them of being apart of a system that is seen as "babylon", or religious confusion, and that God through His end-time church is calling all those that belong to Him to "come out of her" (see Revelation 14 and 16)

I know quite well where we also debated that; and to have alleged that they are Babylon is precisely saying that those Christians are the one accused. You have not shown a good understanding of this subject before making such accusations; and that is wrong!

Bobbyaf:

Appending "God" to your fallacies does not make them correct.

Bobbyaf:

All this was based on the fact of what Jesus Himself said about calling His scattered sheep back to His flock or fold. You as well as I know that there are hundreds of denominations all teaching different doctrines. Besides, you of all persons could never fail to bear in mind what Jesus reminded us of in Matthew 24 about the rise of false prophets and teachers coming in His name.

False prophets and false teachers - we know how many of them existed in the history of the SDA. The SDA should not pretend to see herself as that "endtime church"; and to suppose so is to carry this debate to the appropriate thread to discuss the cults.

In all of these discourses so far, you still haven't shown anything to the point that a sabbath Law in Exodus excuses the SDA from breaking it by denouncing it as "ridiculous" and "archaic"!
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 10:09pm On Jun 16, 2007
@ Bari_kade

@Bobbyaf,

I wonder if you're just interested in mere arguments when you have not been able to defend the fallacies of the SDA built around what they cannot keep. You're wasting your time trying to defend a salary scheme wrapped around the SDA excuses for breaking a Law that they pretend they're keeping, but which you have unwittingly exposed as quite to the contrary.

I see youre still hell bent on being technical and Pharasaical, huh?  grin You are wasting your time trying to make SDAs look bad because we choose to do good on the sabbath. If we had closed our doors you'd be arguing how legalistic we are, right?

Quote from: Bobbyaf on Today at 10:26:39 AM

You're the same person who could not find that Law in Genesis; and you're yet the very same person who could not find that Law given to Adam in Genesis! Infact, you are the same person who said that the Sabbath did not exist as a commandment in Genesis; but now, you're coming back to your convoluted statements again.

You're still confused about the law and its principles. You know that God's law was not in the written form from the beginning. It doesn't take a 6-year old to see that. As a surface reader of the bible you fail to see that the same principles of the 10 commandments as given to Moses on the mount, are the same ones that governed sin and morality in the times of the patriarchs. To make it easier for you let me show you the relationship between law and sin.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Now Bar_kade you cannot go around the plain teachings of God's word. If the law defined sin in previous times it still defines sin in our time. In other words sin has no time barrier. All men from all dispensations were subject to the same shortfalls as us in this dispensation. As far as God is concerned time doesn't change the definition of sin, nor does time change the principles that are built into His laws.

"Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiates 12:13.

The attempt to argue as to whether God had a 10 commandment law back in the time of the patriarchs is pointless and fruitless. As I have explained not finding a distinct passage revealing the law does't prove that its principles did not apply to the patriarchs back then. You're not in any psition to gainsay that no matter how hard you try.

If you go back to Exodus again, you will find the clear imprints of the sabbath as a LAW! Now, since you argued for the seventh-day sabbath commandment from EXODUS (and not rather from Genesis), then you're expressing an idea based on the Mosaic Law! Doing so requires that you face the stipulations of the same Mosaic Law for the sabbath. Failing to follow the stipulations actually means that you have no sabbath law earlier than Exodus.

First and foremost the sabbath law is not a Mosaic law. It is God's law! It was God who wrote it with His own fingers and delivered it to Moses on Mount Sinai. The sabbath was given to man from the beginning based on what Jesus said in Mark 2:27, 27 And He said to them,“The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

The problem you're forever faced with is being able to not confess that Adam was the progenitor of mankind, and has to be apart of that over all plan that God intended for humans to experience through keeping a sanctified day in order to celebrate His creation. That is exactly what the sabbath commandment entails. It gives us a reason as to why we should remember to keep it, and that reason is, God is Creator of heaven and earth.  

Since you cannot find a specific commandment any earlier than EXODUS for the seventh-day sabbath, there's no basis for pretending to uphold the 10 commandments in that book and refusing to adhere to its prescriptions.

We are not pretending to uphold it, we are! You too need to uphold them likewise. I can assure no harm will befall you only good. I notice you never once brought out anything positive in the Mosaic writings concerning the law, but here is a little something for you:

"And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes [commandments] ,  for our good always." Deuteronomy 6:24.

You see all along God gave them the law for their own good. If they were obedient they would have recieved the blessings, and if they failed to obey, and they had no reason not to, they would be punished. No one had a reason to disobey especially how they had been a witness to the great undisputable miracles that were wrought by the hands of their God.

God asked Moses a simple question before the 10 commandments were given on Mount Sinai, and this was the question:

Exudus 16:28  "And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?"

What do you gather from that Bari_kade? Its very simple. God's law is eternal and its principles are not confined to a written code. Although the bible doesn't highlight in a very specific way that the sabbath was known and kept by God's people, there is room to believe it was, based on what other passages have said about the law and the sabbath. Why else would God even speak about "how long refuse ye to keep my laws" if as you are suggesting God had introduced right there and then a sababth law? I am more inclined to think that that phrase suggests that Israel had a long history of not practising God's requirements. They were so steep in Egyptian practises that they had forgotten about their forefather's covenants, and the age-old sabbath law.

By the way please don't tell me that they called upon God because of their faithfulness. They only did so because their backs were against the wall. Listen to God's words as it describes the over all situation with the Hebrews:

Only two of the thousands of Israelites who left Egypt followed God fully and were able to enter the promised land of Canaan. Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt ,  shall see the land ,  because they have not wholly followed me: Save Caleb ,  and Joshua ,  for they have wholly followed the Lord." Numbers 32:11, 12.

Sins committed now, and the those committed then,  are still sins, and will always be defined by God's eternal law.

Good. The Law requires that Sabbath breakers be surely put to death - Exo. 31:14 & 35:2. Going to work on the sabbath so that you can make money for your pockets is actually breaking the sabbath. "Do good", Jesus says; but where did he excuse your salaries and getting paid for work done on the Sabbath? If the excuse for the SDA medical staff is just about a convenient exculpation to circumvent the Law, there is no reason for you to accuse anything against non-SDAs.

Note the difference! God's law says "remember the sabbath" , but Moses stipulates how the sabbath should be kept  based on the circumstances at the time under which the people found themselves. Israel's spiritual maturity was no where near where God had wanted it to be. They were a rebellious set of people who had grown accustomed to the ways of their Egyptian counterparts, and needed strict stipulations as to proper sabbath observance, until they could operate by faith. Ever wondered why Paul said they missed that rest? Wasn't it because of unbelief?

Why were there stipulations you have never addressed. YOur attempt to tie SDAs into sabbath stipulations in the exact way it was given then is once again nothing short of frivolity and blindness on your part. You're making a mockery out of God's words.

You are not Jesus Christ; and if you excuse your breaking the Law, don't try hiding under that excuse. Jesus Christ never once referred to God's Law as "ridiculous" - the very thing you have done; and I wonder what he would be saying as He reads your post denouncing God's Law as "archaic"!

I pity your ability to read and understand plain English. I never said God's law was archaic. That was meant for the stipulations that seems to have lodged in your cranium somewhere.  cheesy

He said it not me. I am simply repeating what He admonished in the light of the very same stipulations the jewish leaders brought on the disciples, and Jesus Himself.

Jesus Christ did not say anything about excuses the stipulations of the Law. If he ever did, please adduce texts for that. Do not put words in His mouth to justify your fallacies.

Who is talking about excuses? I am referring to what Jesus said about doing good on the sabbath. Its you who keep harping on how SDAs break the sabbath law when they open their hospitals to help the sick. Its you who keep harping, however in vain, how SDA medical professionals work and collect pay on the sabbath so as to show how hypocritical we are.

The point is firefighters, and emergency workers, and others are all paid anyway whether or not they choose to do good on the sabbath. Let us use the case of a firefighters for example. If a one such worker recieved a call while in a church service, such a member would not have to think twice about responding to such calls, because the SDA church has already made it clear what the requirements are concerning emergency workers.

We know as SDAs that the situation isn't all that perfect in this world. What God had intended for the sabbath and humans is no longer idealistic, becaue of sin, but nonetheless realistic. Sin has wrought changes and has thwarted God's plan temporarily. While we live under God's permissive will, we must do what we are able to do given the set of circumstances. If we do the best we can do then God will make up for the rest, bu tit doesn't mean we should neglect God's divine commands.

Thats why Jesus was faced with the same problems in His time. The same jewish leaders attempted to make the sabbath look burdensome with rules after rules, most of which, if not all, were traditional.

Accusing others of being rebellious and yet breaking the Law with your excuses is not demonstrating your obedience to that Law.

WEll that is only your opinion.

I know quite well where we also debated that; and to have alleged that they are Babylon is precisely saying that those Christians are the one accused. You have not shown a good understanding of this subject before making such accusations; and that is wrong!

I don't think calling people from babylon is wrong because God has called His church to do exactly that. Those in the SDA church and those in babylon are all God's children just the same, and God doesn't love SDAs more than they, nor are we better by virtue of what we believe either. You can't knock SDAs for doing what God has commanded. As the remnant we continue what the apostles started. God has raised up the SDA church with a unique message fo rthis time, and that is to be ready and to prepare others for the judgement hour thats presntly taking place. In the mean time we must warn the world of the anti-Christ which has already established itself, and will soon bring upon this world its mark. We know God's mark or seal to be the sabbath, and we also know the mark of the beast to be Sunday which will be enforced into law sooner than you think. Thats why God says: "Come out of her my people" speaking of babylon or religious confusion.

Appending "God" to your fallacies does not make them correct.

Really now! Doubt if you know what a fallacy is even if it were staring you in the face!

False prophets and false teachers - we know how many of them existed in the history of the SDA. The SDA should not pretend to see herself as that "endtime church"; and to suppose so is to carry this debate to the appropriate thread to discuss the cults.

We are not pretending to see ourselves as such, we are the renmnant.

In all of these discourses so far, you still haven't shown anything to the point that a sabbath Law in Exodus excuses the SDA from breaking it by denouncing it as "ridiculous" and "archaic"!

We don't need to since there is nothing to show, but if it makes you feel good holding on to those archaic sabbath stipulations, then fine suit yourself. Its funny how you're not harping about those stipulations that were appended to adultery, or any other sins that were punishable by death. How come you're not crying out for those who commit adultery to be stoned to death as well? How come you're not crying out for the death of homosexuals based on the Mosaic stipulations concerning any sexual deviances? grin

Strange isn't it?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by ricadelide(m): 6:36am On Jun 17, 2007
i want to weigh in a little on this debate.
@bari_kade and bobbyaf, good job you guys have been doing in maintaining decorum and arguing your case.

However,
@bobbyaf,
i guess you might have answered this, but i somehow can't go through all the lengthy discussions, so i just have a straight-forward question;

'what exactly makes you think (or convinced) that christians should keep the sabbath?' of course, i mean a biblical injunction.
thanks.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 10:32am On Jun 17, 2007
What I want to understand from the SDAs:

(1) if the SDAs take their sabbath law from EXODUS, why are they unable to keep it according to its stipulations?

(2) where is the verse that grants the permission to work and earn salaries on the sabbath day according to the same LAW in Exodus?

(3) to whom exactly does the sabbath law in the same EXODUS apply - to whom was it given?

@Bobbyaf,

Why is it that up until now you have had no answers to any one of the several questions that were offered you by bari_kade in the other thread?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 5:36pm On Jun 17, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

One other thing: there's no doubt that you're reharshing debates here that have already been dealt with in the other thread on the same subject. It's quite amusing that you'd want to do that yet again, when answers have been adduced to most of your queries already; while on the other hand noticing that you've not offered answers to questions presented to you.

I hope that this trend to reharsh debates would not be further promoted; so that the discussions may thereby be progressed.

Cheers.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 2:19pm On Jun 18, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Apart from the fact that you've managed to reharsh the debate of the other thread into this one, you really haven't said anything fresh or concrete to address the core concerns raised here. After having read through your entire missive, it is amazing indeed that you continued to evade the core questions offered you (such as proffering verses for your exculpations to the Sabbath Law in order to excuse your working on the sabbath days to earn salaries, make money and get paid for such WORK - an utter violation of the same Law you pretend to keep).

My approach here will be somewhat different; in which case I intend to be detailed in my response in order to lead you back to Scripture and point out how and where you have continued to contradict issues for yourself.

Bobbyaf:

I see youre still hell bent on being technical and Pharasaical, huh? You are wasting your time trying to make SDAs look bad because we choose to do good on the sabbath. If we had closed our doors you'd be arguing how legalistic we are, right?

Stop pretending with this hooha about being 'technical'. Your excuses to make money on the sabbath day while calling others "babylon" is worse than pharasaical - it's sickening. I've asked for a single text from either the NT or OT as to where Jesus ever excused making money or getting paid for WORK done on the sabbath day; and you have given none up until now! If the SDA wants to feel bad for their rebelling against a Law that they preach but can't keep, they can continue to be double hell-bent on that; but neither you nor the head of the SDA cult can cheat anyone on what the Bible says on this subject.

Bobbyaf:

You're still confused about the law and its principles. You know that God's law was not in the written form from the beginning. It doesn't take a 6-year old to see that. As a surface reader of the bible you fail to see that the same principles of the 10 commandments as given to Moses on the mount, are the same ones that governed sin and morality in the times of the patriarchs. To make it easier for you let me show you the relationship between law and sin.

What are the "principles" of the LAW if you have been arguing against the STIPULATIONS of the same Law? Whether written or not, the Sabbath Law did not exist until God gave it to Moses in Exodus. That you want to take this back to Genesis is to contradict and further knot yourself, since you still haven't been able to find that LAW any earlier than in Exodus after all your arguments.

Bobbyaf:

Now Bar_kade you cannot go around the plain teachings of God's word. If the law defined sin in previous times it still defines sin in our time. In other words sin has no time barrier. All men from all dispensations were subject to the same shortfalls as us in this dispensation. As far as God is concerned time doesn't change the definition of sin, nor does time change the principles that are built into His laws.

Bobbyaf, if sin is to be judged by the same Law, then that same Law in Exodus clearly says that anyone found working on the Sabbath day must surely be put to death!! (Exo. 31:14 & 35:2) Since you cannot keep the Law that you preach (and you have said so yourself), why then all the noise for the excuses to keep working and making money for your pockets on the sabbath day?

WHERE DOES THE LAW ALLOW FOR SUCH EXCUSES??

Bobbyaf:

The attempt to argue as to whether God had a 10 commandment law back in the time of the patriarchs is pointless and fruitless.

If it is pointless and fruitless, then why has it been utterly difficult for you to show that same LAW any earlier than Exodus? Infact, 'pointless and fruitless' would mean that you simply have no case for your arguments since you're trying to apply a non-existent law to people who predated it.

Bobbyaf:

As I have explained not finding a distinct passage revealing the law does't prove that its principles did not apply to the patriarchs back then. You're not in any psition to gainsay that no matter how hard you try.

Neither are you in any position to pretend that the LAW existed any earlier than when God revealed it. If you feared God, you would not have referred to His Word as "ridiculous" or "archaic"!! To make excuses for why you cannot obey the clear stipulations of His LAW is actually to gainsay His Word; so your crying round Eccl. 12:13 heavily applies against you and none else.

Bobbyaf:

First and foremost the sabbath law is not a Mosaic law. It is God's law! It was God who wrote it with His own fingers and delivered it to Moses on Mount Sinai. The sabbath was given to man from the beginning based on what Jesus said in Mark 2:27, 27 And He said to them,“The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

The case of Mark 2:27 has been well debated and you still have not answered the questions I left you in the other thread. The Sabbath LAW was not given to Adam or Eve; and we've debated this issue before in the other thread (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.160.html#msg869146).

Further, you're making a grave mistake by straining at this issue of the 10 commandments being "God's law", as if the other laws and commandments did not originate from God as well. Time and again, Scripture shows that God gave all the commandments and laws that governed the religious life of His covenant people Israel; and not one Law or Commandment came from Moses without his first having received such from the LORD:

Deut. 4:5 - "Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments,
even as the LORD my God commanded me,
that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it."

1 Kings 2:3 - "And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways,
to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments,
and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou
mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou
turnest thyself."

Ezra 7:6 - "This Ezra went up from Babylon; and he was a ready scribe
in the law of Moses, which the LORD God of Israel had given:
and the king granted him all his request, according to the hand
of the LORD his God upon him.

Neh. 8:1 - "And all the people gathered themselves together as one man into the street
that was before the water gate; and they spake unto Ezra the scribe to bring
the book of the law of Moses, which the LORD had commanded to Israel.

The same 10 Commandments you're calling "God's Law" is also called "the Law of Moses":

Mal. 4:4 - "Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him
in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.

It was God Himself in Mal. 4:4 above Who referred to the 10 Commandments as "the law of Moses" which He commanded unto Israel in Horeb. Going back to Deuteronomy 5 where Moses reiterated the same 10 Commandments, this is what he said in verse 2: "The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb"; and in the ensuing verses (6ff) he repeated the same Law (10 Commandments). So, your argument that this was not a Mosaic Law simply shows you have no clue what you're talking about.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 2:21pm On Jun 18, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

The problem you're forever faced with is being able to not confess that Adam was the progenitor of mankind, and has to be apart of that over all plan that God intended for humans to experience through keeping a sanctified day in order to celebrate His creation. That is exactly what the sabbath commandment entails. It gives us a reason as to why we should remember to keep it, and that reason is, God is Creator of heaven and earth.

I'm asking the same question again: are you not the same chap who said that the sabbath was not given as a commandment in Genesis? Why go back trying to confuse issues for yourself all over again? If the sabbath Law existed right from Genesis, please simply give me that verse where it says it was a commandment!

Besides, we've debated this issue before; and I gave you reasons why your argument here is critically flawed. Pretending to bring it up here again is weakening your position all the more; and i'll repost what I said in the other thread so you can withdraw your pretences:

Your research would have lead you to understand that the Lord Jesus in Mark 2:27
did not refer to Genesis at all, but rather to the Law of Moses as confirmed in
Matt. 12:5. You cannot use a Law that was enacted centuries later to imply anything
upon Adam who was never given such a Law.

That is why I again and again asked for such a "command" for Adam, and in all cases
as recently again, you confirmed that no such command exists! As long as you say
that no such command exists, then plainly Adam was not given such a command that
did not exist!

Source: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.160.html#msg869146

You keep circling around issues that you have no answers to; and to force your own thoughts into Scripture is what is called eisegesis - the very thing that cultists do!! Instead of reharshing debates from other threads and pretending that they're new issues altogether, you could simply go back there read the points that expose your flaws.

Bobbyaf:

We are not pretending to uphold it, we are! You too need to uphold them likewise. I can assure no harm will befall you only good.

I am not a Jew; and to pretend to be one and then make excuses for your inability to keep that Law is a weak assumption to make.

Bobbyaf:

I notice you never once brought out anything positive in the Mosaic writings concerning the law,

I never stated that the Law was bad; so insinuating that I never said anything good about it is hilarious. My point has been consistent all along: if you want to keep the LAW found in Exodus, then you are bound to keep it according to its stipulations and no excuses will atone for dribbling round it.

Bobbyaf:

but here is a little something for you:

"And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes [commandments] , for our good always." Deuteronomy 6:24.

You see all along God gave them the law for their own good. If they were obedient they would have recieved the blessings, and if they failed to obey, and they had no reason not to, they would be punished. No one had a reason to disobey especially how they had been a witness to the great undisputable miracles that were wrought by the hands of their God.

Are you a Jew, Bobbyaf? Who are those being referred to as "US" in that verse? Before you come back slaving endlessly with another boring inference of a 'generic Adam', let me point out who were being referred to in that text by quoting it in its context:

Deut. 6: (20) And when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying,
What mean the testimonies, and the statutes, and the judgments,
which the LORD our God hath commanded you?

(21) Then thou shalt say unto thy son,
We were Pharaoh's bondmen in Egypt; and the LORD brought us out
of Egypt with a mighty hand: (22) And the LORD shewed signs and
wonders, great and sore, upon Egypt, upon Pharaoh, and upon all his
household, before our eyes: (23) And he brought us out from thence,
that he might bring us in, to give us the land which he sware unto our fathers.

(24) And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD
our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.

(25) And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments
before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us.

Notice two things, Bobbyaf. .  pay close attention:

(a) according to vs 21, before you can begin to count yourself as part of the "us" in that text,
you must be able to say: "WE were Pharaoh's bondmen in Egypt!"
Question: who among the SDAs can honestly make such a claim today
of having been Pharaoh's bondmen/women?

(b) secondly, and more importantly, vs 25 says that as a Jew the Law shall be your righteousness.
Question: do you take your righteousness from the LAW, Bobbyaf?

If you take your righteousness from the Law, then you would be confusing your Christian state and standing before God. Why? Because the whole argument in the NT simply tells us that NO ONE is justified or made righteous in God's sight by the Law! Sample a few of these:

Rom. 3: (20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified
      in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. (21)  But now
      the righetousness of God without the law is manifested,
      being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
     (22) Even the righetousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ
     unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference
(28)  Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Gal. 2: (16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law,
but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ,
that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law:
for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

(21) I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law,
then Christ is dead in vain.

Gal. 5: (4) Christ is become of no effect unto you,
whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

1 Cor. 1: (30) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus,
who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness,
and sanctification, and redemption.

Php. 3: (6) Concerning zeal, persecuting the church;
touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. . .
(9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law,
but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.

So, you can see that arguing for the righteousness of the Law from Deuteronomy 6 for the Christian is to confuse the clear teaching of the NT regarding true righteousness found in Jesus Christ Himself alone.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 2:31pm On Jun 18, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

God asked Moses a simple question before the 10 commandments were given on Mount Sinai, and this was the question:

Exudus 16:28 "And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws?"

What do you gather from that Bari_kade? Its very simple. God's law is eternal and its principles are not confined to a written code. Although the bible doesn't highlight in a very specific way that the sabbath was known and kept by God's people, there is room to believe it was, based on what other passages have said about the law and the sabbath. Why else would God even speak about "how long refuse ye to keep my laws" if as you are suggesting God had introduced right there and then a sababth law? I am more inclined to think that that phrase suggests that Israel had a long history of not practising God's requirements. They were so steep in Egyptian practises that they had forgotten about their forefather's covenants, and the age-old sabbath law.

Again, you have reharshed another issue we have both discussed earlier in the other thread. Do you really have anything new to say, or you just simply want to pretend that you don't remember the earlier debate? Please go to this link and read my answers there to your fallacies this same allegation you often make that israel was "steep(ed) in Egyptian practices" --

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.160.html#msg871818

You keep making the mistake of thinking that the Sabbath Law was revealed before the children of Israel left Egypt. Your inference is wrong, because it is clear from other texts that the LORD did not reveal this Law to any other people until He did so at Horeb unto Israel(Deut. 5:2-3). If they were so steeped in Egyptian practices, they would not in any way have been calling upon the LORD, regardless of the hard times they faced while they were still there (see Exo. 2:23-24 & 3:7).

When you read Scripture, don't be carried off merely by your thoughts that anywhere you see the words "laws" and "covenants", then they must suggest the "10 commandments". That is why you continue to make these colossal mistakes. Now let's read God's response to their groanings in Exodus 2:24 - "And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob."

The question is, what "covenant" did God make with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? It certainly does not mean the same covenant that God made specifically with Israel in mount Horeb - and that is what Deut. 5:2-3 clearly enunciates: "The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day."

Secondly, turning to Gen. 15:14 & 18, we read of God's covenant with Abraham: "And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. . .In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates." You need to understand that this "covenant" which God made unto Abraham, was also reiterated unto Isaac (Gen. 26:4), and unto Jacob (Gen. 28:13 & 14).

Not only so, but God also confirmed the same "covenant" as a LAW unto Abraham's progeny:

Psalm 105: (8 ) He hath remembered his covenant for ever, the word which he commanded
to a thousand generations. (9) Which covenant he made with Abraham, and his oath
unto Isaac; (10) And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an
everlasting covenant: (11) Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of
your inheritance: (12) When they were but a few men in number; yea, very few,
and strangers in it.

The point of all this is pivotal; and that is, God did not state anywhere that He gave the 10 Commandments unto Abraham, Isaac or Jacob. The fact of Deuteronomy 5:3 cannot be over-emphasized or gainsaid on this point. To make the claim that Abraham already knew the 10 Commandments/Law is to deny the clear statements of Scripture and continue to propound the flawed theories you have been offering over and over again! Scripture is very clear: whenever you subscribe to an idea, if you have no verses clearly stating your arguments, then your position continues to be weakened and untenable.

Bobbyaf:

By the way please don't tell me that they called upon God because of their faithfulness. They only did so because their backs were against the wall. Listen to God's words as it describes the over all situation with the Hebrews:

Only two of the thousands of Israelites who left Egypt followed God fully and were able to enter the promised land of Canaan. Surely none of the men that came up out of Egypt , shall see the land , because they have not wholly followed me: Save Caleb , and Joshua , for they have wholly followed the Lord." Numbers 32:11, 12.

I really don't see the sense you're trying to make here. Caleb and Joshua recorded in Numbers 32:11, 12 do not tell us what exactly happened to Israel in Egypt; nor do we read in those verses at all that Israel was "steeped in Egyptian ways" as a result of which they forgot the Sabbath Law! You're fond of accussing people of what you do not read; and that is not a virtue!

The people cried unto God by reason of their burdens; and God both heard them and "remembered His covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob", as explained above - Exo. 2:24; Gen. 15:14 & 18. We are not told that Israel had the 10 Commandments revealed to them prior to their leaving Egypt; and infact, we have seen that only to Israel did God give the covenant in Horeb which entails the decalogue (10 Comamndments) - Deut. 5:3.

Bobbyaf:

Note the difference! God's law says "remember the sabbath" , but Moses stipulates how the sabbath should be kept based on the circumstances at the time under which the people found themselves.

Sorry, but both the Law and the stipulations were directly given by God Himself! The injunction in that Law says: "in it thou shalt not do any work (Exo. 20:10)! Going to work to get paid salaries while stating that your medical professionals work "like any other persons" is to directly flout the sabbath Law in Exodus!

Bobbyaf:

Israel's spiritual maturity was no where near where God had wanted it to be. They were a rebellious set of people who had grown accustomed to the ways of their Egyptian counterparts, and needed strict stipulations as to proper sabbath observance, until they could operate by faith. Ever wondered why Paul said they missed that rest? Wasn't it because of unbelief?

Their unbelief was not based on their having been in Egypt! You can live anywhere in the world and still express unbelief in God's Word, if that is why you can't cure yourself of this fallacious accusation against Israel.

Second, you must have such a rigid spirit to think that God would give a set of Laws to Israel when their spiritual maturity was no where near where God had wanted it to be"! Abraham was in Egypt, but he did not express unbelief, even though the Law of 10 commandments was not revealed to him (Gen. 12:10). God also covenanted with Abraham that his seed would go into Egypt and be servants there until the appointed time (Gen. 15:14). All through their sojourn in Egypt, they knew the LORD and nowhere is it said that they were "steeped" in Egyptian idolatory or worshipped some other deity.

Fact is that in lifestyle, beliefs, customs and persuasions, the Israelites while still in Egypt were very distinct from the Egyptians. First, the Israelite midwives refused to obey the murderous policy of Pharaoh - a fact of great faith in God (Exo. 1:17 & 21). Second, the simple nomadic occupation of the Israelites was an abomination to the Egyptians (Gen. 46:34; Exo. 8:26). Third, the Jews would have had no difficulty at all knowing who had sent Moses; for it was the very same God that they had been calling upon until He sent his servant Moses unto them (Exo.3:18 ).

The idea that Israel must have been steeped in Egyptian ways in order to have forgotten the Sabbath is a cheap interjection that ignores the facts in order to launch unbridled accusations against them for a sabbath law that you cannot find in Egypt.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 2:32pm On Jun 18, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

Why were there stipulations you have never addressed.

As for the stipulations, how many times did I ask YOU to outline them in the debate in the other thread where you always evaded that very question? I have again and again addressed it in length in the other thread; so once again, please try not pretending you don't remember having read them - unless you deliberately want readers to see how cheaply you often make these pretences. Here is a link to remind you:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.160.html#msg873270

The reason why you find the stipulations in the Law is so that everyone understood both WHAT the Law stated and HOW they were to keep the Law. Even from the very first mention of the sabbath, stipulations/prescriptions were given as to both what it meant and how the recipients were to observe it: to gather a certain rate everyday, and on the sixth day to prepare that which they bring in (Exo. 16:4 & 5; see also vs. 23, 27, 29 & 30).

Infact, when you read the OT to see how God gave the Law unto the Israelites, you'll find that He wanted them to both know what He said and also understand how they were to keep His commandments. It was not by coincidence that Moses' father-in-law said, "And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do" (Exo. 18:20). The same principle was reiterated when Moses declared the Law unto Israel:

Deut. 4: (5) Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments,
even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do
so in the land whither ye go to possess it. (6) Keep therefore and
do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the
sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say,
Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

Deut. 6: (1) Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the
judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that
ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it: (2) That thou
mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his
commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's
son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.

It was not merely that the Law was given; but even more importantly, it was meant to be taught - so that everyone would understand exactly what was required of them.

Bobbyaf:

YOur attempt to tie SDAs into sabbath stipulations in the exact way it was given then is once again nothing short of frivolity and blindness on your part. You're making a mockery out of God's words.

My posts are not mocking God's word if you're making excuses to break His Law in order to do the very same thing that the Law expressly forbids! As regards the seventh-day, the Law said: "in it thou shalt not do any work (Exo. 20:10)! You take your sabbath law from EXODUS, not so? Then you are bound to follow that law as found in the very same EXODUS! Failing to do so is indeed blindness of a wicked sort on your part that pretends to preach the same Law while excusing its prescriptions.

Bobbyaf:

I pity your ability to read and understand plain English. I never said God's law was archaic. That was meant for the stipulations that seems to have lodged in your cranium somewhere.

Thanks for your slobber once again; but it doesn't make you the wiser in English. If you're not reading issues with crossed-eyes, please see another quote where you openly traipsed this same irreverence upon God's Word:
Bobbyaf:

We don't need to since there is nothing to show, but if it makes you feel good holding on to those archaic sabbath stipulations, then fine suit yourself

See? Calling God's Word "those archaic sabbath stipulations" shows what you are in heart and soul, whether or not it was a SDA device to make you feel better for your exculpations.

Bobbyaf:

Who is talking about excuses? I am referring to what Jesus said about doing good on the sabbath. Its you who keep harping on how SDAs break the sabbath law when they open their hospitals to help the sick. Its you who keep harping, however in vain, how SDA medical professionals work and collect pay on the sabbath so as to show how hypocritical we are.

Indeed, Jesus spoke about 'doing good'; but He made no excuses for working and getting paid salaries for SDAs on the sabbath day, professional or not. You can still do good to sick folks without getting paid salaries for work done on those sabbath days; and arguing vainly for your exculpations does not overrule God's Word.

Or else, why do you think that Jesus was angry at the practice of commerce in the Temple (Matt. 21:12-14)? Carrying out Temple service/work was no problem; but getting paid salaries in the name of such work is antithetical to the revealed truth concerning such service. Infact, when you read vs. 14 you find that "the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple; and He healed them." My question is, where did He ask for salaries for the healing He gave to those sick folks? As long as you continue to be irreverent against the same Law that you preach but hypocritically excuse for your salaries, I'll also keep reminding you of what the Law precisely says.

Bobbyaf:

The point is firefighters, and emergency workers, and others are all paid anyway whether or not they choose to do good on the sabbath. Let us use the case of a firefighters for example. If a one such worker recieved a call while in a church service, such a member would not have to think twice about responding to such calls, because the SDA church has already made it clear what the requirements are concerning emergency workers.

Two things here:

(a) fire fighters who want to keep the sabbath law can still do good by not taking paid salaries for the work they do on such days when responding to such calls. Remember there are six days on which to work, and the Law does not state an excuse for emergent cases; infact, it is directly antithetical to such excuses.

(b) the fact of not being able to practically and simultaneously keep the sabbath and work shows why in Jesus Christ we have our perfect rest for the soul; and not the observance of a particular day!

I've always made the point clear: the seventh-day sabbath law was not made for Christians; and anyone still wanting to go by the sabbath law will find it in Exodus, and is therefore bound to keep it according to its prescriptions in that Law. It was for this reason that the same Law states: "Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day" (Exo. 35:3). This law was particularly in reference to the Jewish people; and not to the nations. There was only one manner of Law to all who were native Israelites and the stranger who sojourned among them (Lev. 24:22; Num. 15:16). Thus, if the sabbath Law applied unto Israel in their geographical boundaries, the same law also applied beyond those geographical boundaries; for "it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings" (Lev. 23:3).
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 2:34pm On Jun 18, 2007
Finally @Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

We know as SDAs that the situation isn't all that perfect in this world. What God had intended for the sabbath and humans is no longer idealistic, becaue of sin, but nonetheless realistic.

When has sin ever been absent from the history of man after the Fall in Gen. 3 so that you're now magnifying your exculpations above with the idea that what God intended is no longer idealistic?

Bobbyaf:

Sin has wrought changes and has thwarted God's plan temporarily. While we live under God's permissive will, we must do what we are able to do given the set of circumstances. If we do the best we can do then God will make up for the rest, bu tit doesn't mean we should neglect God's divine commands.

Did you read what you wrote before posting? When has God ever tried to "make up for the rest" of what the Israelites could not do? And how does the sabbath Law translate into an idea that brings it to the level of God's permissive will?

Bobbyaf:

Thats why Jesus was faced with the same problems in His time. The same jewish leaders attempted to make the sabbath look burdensome with rules after rules, most of which, if not all, were traditional.

First, Jesus faced no such problems in His time, because the Law had not changed as stipulated in the covenant of the OT. The Jewish leaders may have attempted to make the sabbath look burdensome; yet in correcting their misconceptions, not in any instance did Jesus try to make excuses with another set of rules that contravened the sabbath law. It had nothing to do with the "traditions" of the Jews (which we do not find written in the Law of the Sabbath); but it had everything to do with the Law as stated when revealed unto Moses.

Bobbyaf:

I don't think calling people from babylon is wrong because God has called His church to do exactly that. Those in the SDA church and those in babylon are all God's children just the same, and God doesn't love SDAs more than they, nor are we better by virtue of what we believe either. You can't knock SDAs for doing what God has commanded. As the remnant we continue what the apostles started. God has raised up the SDA church with a unique message fo rthis time, and that is to be ready and to prepare others for the judgement hour thats presntly taking place.

Trying to cover up for your accusation against other Christians is not going to wash with the facts of your sad pretext. Christians in other denominations are not "babylon"; and to have tried to make it appear so simply because they worship on Sunday and are not members of your own denomination is a direct accusations that is characteristic with the cults.

Bobbyaf:

In the mean time we must warn the world of the anti-Christ which has already established itself, and will soon bring upon this world its mark. We know God's mark or seal to be the sabbath, and we also know the mark of the beast to be Sunday which will be enforced into law sooner than you think. Thats why God says: "Come out of her my people" speaking of babylon or religious confusion.

First, the SDA has serious problems with his religious history. Second, the same SDA has its religious confusion. If it is easy for the SDA to surreptitously accuse others, they should look at their own gangrene first before arrogating to themselves a position that God has not given them.

Further, while you're confusing what exactly is the "mark or seal", here's what the Bible teaches:

(a) under the OT, circumcision was the seal:

Rom. 4:11 -- 'And he received the sign of circumcision,
a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had
yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of
all them that believe, though they be not circumcised;
that righteousness might be imputed unto them also.'

(b) in the NT, the Holy Spirit Himself is the seal:

Eph. 1:13 -- 'In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard
the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also
after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit
of promise.'

Eph. 4:30 -- 'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby
ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.'

There is no place in the Bible where I've come across your inference; and to have supposed such where there's none is a classic example of cultic ideologies. Such cults deem it their brithright to accuse others while they often unwittingly expose their fallacious doctrines in direct contrast to what is revealed in Scripture. I do hope for your sake that you'd reconsider your rigid spirit to readily accuse others when infact your grounds are questionable.

Bobbyaf:

We are not pretending to see ourselves as such, we are the renmnant.

No problem; but making such noise while accusing others does not really mean the SDA is correct in that inference.

Bobbyaf:

We don't need to since there is nothing to show, but if it makes you feel good holding on to those archaic sabbath stipulations, then fine suit yourself. Its funny how you're not harping about those stipulations that were appended to adultery, or any other sins that were punishable by death. How come you're not crying out for those who commit adultery to be stoned to death as well? How come you're not crying out for the death of homosexuals based on the Mosaic stipulations concerning any sexual deviances?

The one thing I've sought to debate here with you is the Sabbath Law - the 4th commandment of the Mosaic Law; and not rather the whole Decalogue - the 10 Comamndments. The issue here is the meaning of the Sabbath, rather than the meaning of adultery or homesexuality.

Should you be interested in debating the other 9 Commandments, please be my guest; as I've never had any problem with any one of them in their exact and precise application.

My premise has been just this: the Sabbath Law was not made for Christians - for we find our true rest in the Lord Jesus Christ Himself; and not in the observance of any day.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 4:38am On Jun 19, 2007
@ Bari_Kade

AS I have repeatedly said trying to pin SDAs to sabbath stipulations in the way they were meant for a particular experience during the Hebrews sojourn in the wilderness for 40 years, goes contrary to what Jesus said in His teaching of true sabbath observance. You have failed in your attempt to reconcile that reality.

Obviously when the command says "no work" you have taken that to include work in all its forms, What a joke! grin You're worse than the pharasees maaaan! cheesy
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 7:05am On Jun 19, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

AS I have repeatedly said trying to pin SDAs to sabbath stipulations in the way they were meant for a particular experience during the Hebrews sojourn in the wilderness for 40 years, goes contrary to what Jesus said in His teaching of true sabbath observance. You have failed in your attempt to reconcile that reality.

I'm really sorry for you, because this again is another silly joke that only weakens your position on this very topic. The Sabbath Law was not meant as a 40-year wilderness experience - please open the Word of God and read it for yourself.

When you make reference to the true sabbath, I have repeatedly pointed out that it is not a question of the observance of any day; but simply a matter of rest for the soul. If you fail to grasp that reality, you will continue to make the huge mistakes you've made that informed my previous detailed response. For Christians, EVERYDAY is holy - and every single day they find their rest in the Lord Jesus Christ alone.

Bobbyaf:

Obviously when the command says "no work" you have taken that to include work in all its forms, What a joke! grin You're worse than the pharasees maaaan!

Thanks, and I don't mind any more of your slobbers. The Bible did not say some form of work was excusable such that you may earn money for your pocket or get paid salaries on sabbath-day labour. It simply says: "in it thou shalt not do any work" (EXODUS 20:10)!

In the Lord Jesus Christ, we find our true rest - and that is what I've been sounding out all along. Since you want to yoke yourself by the 4th commandment in Exodus 20, you will just have to obey what it says according to its prescriptions. There are no excuses for what the SDA teaches on that subject.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by mellow(m): 7:45am On Jun 19, 2007
Saturday
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 7:47am On Jun 19, 2007
Hi mellow,

Don't enslave yourself to any day - look rather to the Lord Jesus Christ who is our true Rest. smiley
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Drusilla(f): 10:21am On Jun 19, 2007
Saturday.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by barikade: 10:25am On Jun 19, 2007
Good then. If you guys want to enslave yourselves to Saturday, no problem at all. My one simple request is this: do so in exactly as the LAW prescribes. Failing to do so is directly disobeying what that LAW says. cheesy
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Horus(m): 1:19am On Jun 22, 2007
@ Bari_Kade

Obviously when the command says "no work" you have taken that to include work in all its forms, What a joke!   You're worse than the pharasees maaaan! 

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet The Handsome Sons Of 5 Popular Nigerian Pastors(photos) / Before I Die,I'll Destroy Certain Deeper Life Doctrines I Set Up–Pastor Kumuyi / THEHOMER: Now Lets Discuss The Big Bang & Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 302
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.