Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Oyo Empire - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oyo Empire (5741 Views)

Was There Really An Oyo Empire? / Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful / The Invasion Of Oyo Empire By Tsoede,The King Of Nupe In 1457 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 6:42am On Dec 22, 2019
Oyo empire is such an amazing feat

I can only imagine what would have happened if there were no internal civil war
Afonja was killed and he never partnered with Alimi
And with the fall of Benin empire

All of Yoruba land would have been under one God !
A separate country who knows

We have fought so many wars
Dahomey Fulani Benin nupe British and French

It’s not easy we are warriors

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyo Empire by qazeemj(m): 6:54am On Dec 22, 2019
Warrior indeed
Re: Oyo Empire by Beremx(f): 6:59am On Dec 22, 2019
Eyaaa it is well embarassed

1 Like

Re: Oyo Empire by BuhariAdvocate: 6:59am On Dec 22, 2019
But why you guys from yeast won't rest Because of yoruba people?

1 Like

Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 7:00am On Dec 22, 2019
qazeemj:
Warrior indeed

What were your forefathers achievements ?

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 7:01am On Dec 22, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
But why you guys from yeast won't rest Because of yoruba people?

The matter tire me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 7:01am On Dec 22, 2019
I always laugh when I hear or see someone talking about Oyo Empire. Traces of an empire is always visible as can be seen in Benin Empire, Songhai Empire, Roman Empire etc. For Oyo, there's no credible facts just conjectures. I challenge anyone to name 4 non-Yoruba ethnic groups that were subsumed by the Oyos. That of Benins is clear to all. From the Akoko areas to Ondo proper and parts of Ekiti even Lagos Island to some parts of Anioma and majority part of Delta state to the remaining part of Edo state, the Benins footprint can be seen. For the Oyos, where are the footprints? Oyo could have been a great Kingdom who troubled their neighbours to the West but never succeeded in emerging as a strong Empire where they exert their influence to last for long.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire by Beremx(f): 7:02am On Dec 22, 2019
Omoodua007:

The guy you quoted is your brother. Look at his signature before you spoil your thread. grin
Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 7:06am On Dec 22, 2019
Omoodua007:

Lol.
Re: Oyo Empire by BuhariAdvocate: 7:06am On Dec 22, 2019
They have been creating series of topics these days to attack Yoruba. And if Yoruba create one topic you will see them calling moderators.
Omoodua007:

The matter tire me
Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 7:08am On Dec 22, 2019
Philistine:

Guy u be real mumu I swear! The Oyo language is the general Yoruba language been spoken in South west as of today. That is one of the footprints of the old Oyo empire, they were able to influence surrounding communities and villages with their culture.
Do you know what an empire is?

3 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire by Philistine(m): 7:10am On Dec 22, 2019
Yujin:

Do you know what an empire is?
I do not like arguing with an ignorant and shallow person. Reply the poser up there first.
Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 7:14am On Dec 22, 2019
Philistine:

I do not like arguing with an ignorant and shallow person. Reply the poser up there first.
You must learn to read properly before replying
Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 7:15am On Dec 22, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
They have been creating series of topics these days to attack Yoruba. And if Yoruba create one topic you will see them calling moderators.

Yup can you give me a list of moderators
I will be reporting them too
Re: Oyo Empire by qazeemj(m): 7:17am On Dec 22, 2019
Beremx:
Eyaaa it is well embarassed
Hi
Re: Oyo Empire by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:28am On Dec 22, 2019
Oodua a gbe wa oo

Omoodua007:

2 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire by BuhariAdvocate: 7:29am On Dec 22, 2019
Lol just let them be.
Omoodua007:

Re: Oyo Empire by BuhariAdvocate: 7:55am On Dec 22, 2019
Arguing with you would only make me stupid like you. And to make the matter worst you lack sense of history.

Meanwhile oyo empire was established on 12th century and it was collapsed in 18th century.

By 1680, the Oyo Empire spanned over 150,000 square kilometers. It reached the height of its power in the 18th century.
Oyo empire conquered dahomey and part of Togo. Many empires signed a treaty with oyo empire from been attack and free trade routes. Popular among them are, Ghana.
Sosso.
Mali.
Songhai.
Sokoto Caliphate.
Akan Kingdoms and emergence of Asante Empire.

However oyo empire grew to become the largest Yoruba state. It rose through the outstanding organizational and administrative skills of the Yoruba people, wealth gained from trade and its powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-15th to the late 18th century,holding sway not only over most of the other kingdoms in Yorubaland, but also over nearby African states, notably the Fon Kingdom of Dahomey in the modern Republic of Benin to the west.

In conclusion the fact that you ibos hate Yoruba, i think it doesn't make sense to undermine their accomplishments. This tribe has been blessed and God made them head over all thing's.
Yujin:
I always laugh when I hear or see someone talking about Oyo Empire. Traces of an empire is always visible as can be seen in Benin Empire, Songhai Empire, Roman Empire etc. For Oyo, there's no credible facts just conjectures. I challenge anyone to name 4 non-Yoruba ethnic groups that were subsumed by the Oyos. That of Benins is clear to all. From the Akoko areas to Ondo proper and parts of Ekiti even Lagos Island to some parts of Anioma and majority part of Delta state to the remaining part of Edo state, the Benins footprint can be seen. For the Oyos, where are the footprints? Oyo could have been a great Kingdom who troubled their neighbours to the West but never succeeded in emerging as a strong Empire where they exert their influence to last for long.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire by gregyboy(m): 9:28am On Dec 22, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Arguing with you would only make me stupid like you. And to make the matter worst you lack sense of history.

Meanwhile oyo empire was established on 12th century and it was collapsed in 18th century.

By 1680, the Oyo Empire spanned over 150,000 square kilometers. It reached the height of its power in the 18th century.
Oyo empire conquered dahomey and part of Togo. Many empires signed a treaty with oyo empire from been attack and free trade routes. Popular among them are, Ghana.
Sosso.
Mali.
Songhai.
Sokoto Caliphate.

However oyo empire grew to become the largest Yoruba state. It rose through the outstanding organizational and administrative skills of the Yoruba people, wealth gained from trade and its powerful cavalry. The Oyo Empire was the most politically important state in the region from the mid-15th to the late 18th century,holding sway not only over most of the other kingdoms in Yorubaland, but also over nearby African states, notably the Fon Kingdom of Dahomey in the modern Republic of Benin to the west.

In conclusion the fact that you ibos hate Yoruba, i think it doesn't make sense to undermine their accomplishments. This tribe has been blessed and God made them head over all thing's.

Oyo empire has no record of any ,at all
It was a disorganized kingdom,no history on how this vassal state were agglomerated under it, like how did they conquer thier vassals ,
The oyo kingdom was more a social economic gathering by different Yoruba clans this various clans were political autonomous ,when oyo decided to expand is kingdom further through social contract ,
And faiiled it resulted to the collaspe of the empire,

The sokoto empire was more organized ,but the vassal state were autonomous too ,bello used diplomacy to organised the empire

Unlike the benins that were very organised
Both socially and military they built a fortified defence around the city incase of war they were military strong and if they had a clash with this two empire they might have come victorious

For instance benin gave military support to ekiti ,in the ekiti and ibadan war and ekiti came victorious this was the fearless ibadan warrior that no yorubas could match at that time but with benin military power Ibadan was crushed,

2) ogedengebe of osun state that was the military warlord at that time ,when he aporoached edo territory up north the benin warriors from edo central was declared by the oba to overthrew them ,which they did ,the edo military commander was ebohon

3, when the fulani jihadist approached edo ,
The oba sent is military and they were dispatched immediately

4) the igala Benin war...which the benin came victorious even when the military were exposed by the benin chief

5) the vassal in the empire , ondo ,ekiti ,eko,osun,delta,

The kingdom could not expand further because they lacked the military expertise to control a bigger territory ,they were always faced with reconquering of vassal under it ,nevertheless the benin military at the time could have matched and crumble any existing empire ,and it was the last empire to have fallen after the British invasion

1 Like

Re: Oyo Empire by BuhariAdvocate: 9:44am On Dec 22, 2019
Rubbish. Off the topic. Its so ridiculous to hear that oyo is not well structured from you. Its an evidence that you don't read at all.
gregyboy:

It was a disorganized kingdom,no history on how this vassal state were agglomerated under it, like how did they conquer thier vassals ,
The oyo kingdom was more a social economic gathering by different Yoruba clans this various clans were political autonomous ,when oyo decided to expand is kingdom further through social contract ,

The sokoto empire was more organized ,but the vassal state were autonomous too ,bello used diplomacy to organised the empire

Both socially and military they built a fortified defence around the city incase of war they were military strong and if they had a clash with this two empire they might have come victorious

For instance benin gave military support to ekiti ,in the ekiti and ibadan war and ekiti came victorious this was the fearless ibadan warrior that no yorubas could match at that time but with benin military power Ibadan was crushed,

2) ogedengebe of osun state that was the military warlord at that time ,when he aporoached edo territory up north the benin warriors from edo central was declared by the oba to overthrew them ,which they did ,the edo military commander was ebohon

4) the igala Benin war...which the benin came victorious even when the military were exposed by the benin chief

The kingdom could not expand further because they lacked the military expertise to control a bigger territory ,they were always faced with reconquering of vassal under it ,nevertheless the benin military at the time could have matched and crumble any existing empire ,and it was the last empire to have fallen after the British invasion

3 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire by gregyboy(m): 11:07am On Dec 22, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Rubbish. Off the topic. Its so ridiculous to hear that oyo is not well structured from you. Its an evidence that you don't read at all.

Oyo was internally structured but externally unstructured....
Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 4:45pm On Dec 22, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Sosso.
Mali.
Songhai.
Sokoto Caliphate.

There's nothing like hate in my comment. I just penned my observation on the so called 'Oyo Empire'. Like I said, the relics of all old empires are there for all to see. From the Assyrian to our own nearby Benin empires, their artifacts speak volumes of their accomplishments. As for Oyo, there are no such things. I never said that Oyo wasn't great in her peak. I just see them like I see the Igalas who were able to extend their influence militarily into northern Igboland, Idomaland and even into Benin areas but couldn't cement it into an empire level. If you have facts, provide them here.
There were European explorers in the 18th century who visited the present Nigerian areas and documented what they saw. Their works are a solid yardstick to prove ones point in issues like this since you claimed that the Oyo empire witnessed it's peak period within the 18th century. Don't give me any history written by a contemporary Yoruba historian.
Finally, give me 4 ethnic groups that they Oyos were able to make subjects under their control and show me the relics of the Oyos there in the present age.

1 Like

Re: Oyo Empire by gregyboy(m): 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2019
Yujin:

There's nothing like hate in my comment. I just penned my observation on the so called 'Oyo Empire'. Like I said, the relics of all old empires are there for all to see. From the Assyrian to our own nearby Benin empires, their artifacts speak volumes of their accomplishments. As for Oyo, there are no such things. I never said that Oyo wasn't great in her peak. I just see them like I see the Igalas who were able to extend their influence militarily into northern Igboland, Idomaland and even into Benin areas but couldn't cement it into an empire level. If you have facts, provide them here.
There were European explorers in the 18th century who visited the present Nigerian areas and documented what they saw. Their works are a solid yardstick to prove ones point in issues like this since you claimed that the Oyo empire witnessed it's peak period within the 18th century. Don't give me any history written by a contemporary Yoruba historian.
Finally, give me 4 ethnic groups that they Oyos were able to make subjects under their control and show me the relics of the Oyos there in the present age.

The oyo empire shit was made up ,the only visable thing about the empire is d war the had with benin ruplic female warriors which they lost...
It was never an empire ,it was an organized kingdom

1 Like

Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 6:18pm On Dec 22, 2019
gregyboy:

The oyo empire shit was made up ,the only visable thing about the empire is d war the had with benin ruplic female warriors which they lost...
It was never an empire ,it was an organized kingdom
Yeah I know that. I'm a lover of history and do take my time to study things that interest me. The Oyo story was just blown out of proportion by history revisionists.
It's funny how a supposed army of an empire could lose to women warriors. Lol
Do these people know what empires are? Which none Yorubas were part of the Oyo army?
Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 6:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
gregyboy:

Dahomey And Ewe
What did your Igbo forefathers achieve again ?
Absolutely nothing

3 Likes

Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 6:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
Yujin:

Yeah I know that. I'm a lover of history and do take my time to study things that interest me. The Oyo story was just blown out of proportion by history revisionists.
It's funny how a supposed army of an empire could lose to women warriors. Lol
Do these people know what empires are? Which none Yorubas were part of the Oyo army?

Typical Igbo in severe pain Loool

1 Like

Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 6:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Always expect an Igbo man to look for a way to Waterdown Yoruba achievement remember their region alone is not up to Oyo state they have no victory record

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire by gregyboy(m): 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2019
Omoodua007:

Dahomey And Ewe
What did your Igbo forefathers achieve again ?
Absolutely nothing

Ewe is were

Am edo by the way
Re: Oyo Empire by gregyboy(m): 6:34pm On Dec 22, 2019
Omoodua007:

Always expect an Igbo man to look for a way to Waterdown Yoruba achievement remember their region alone is not up to Oyo state they have no victory record

Every opposer is an igbo person...
Re: Oyo Empire by Omoodua007: 6:38pm On Dec 22, 2019
gregyboy:

Ewe is were

Am edo by the way

Wonderful then you should know the exploits of Oyo empire
And it peak it subjugated an entire tribe
Even Benin was not as powerful nor did it last as long as Oyo empire.

It collapsed and it’s people today have been reduced to prostitution in Italy

The Yoruba land occupied by edo has now been reunited under its kiths and Kin and are way ahead of the edo lol

Infact a Yoruba man in the name of awolowo went ahead to rule over edo lol grin

Are we going to talk about how Biafra razed edo in a week and it took the same Oyo empire descendants to liberate them Lool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyo Empire by Yujin(m): 6:41pm On Dec 22, 2019
Omoodua007:

Typical Igbo in severe pain Loool
I'm proudly Igbo but not in severe pain over dispelling the false narrative your likes have been trying to perpetuate. I'll celebrate Oyos achievements if they really had been able to have such an empire you're trying to paint. I still marvel at those rock carvings of humans found somewhere in Kwara state(can't remember the exact name of the town) and I believe that was one of the achievements under Oyo Kingdom. An empire is a different ball game. Simply put; for a kingdom to graduate into an empire, it most have vassal states of other people not of the same stock like the conquerors. The influence will be thorough such that it will affect the form of governance of the vassal states. For instances, during the peak period of the Israeli kingdom under David/Solomon, some nations were paying tributes to David/Solomon yet the Israelis never had an empire. Do you know why? Go study and find out for yourself. The Assyrians, Babylonian, Greeks, Persians, Romans, Byzantine, Turks, Benins had empires because they consolidated their victories in the domains they defeated militarily. Did Oyo consolidate any of their victories? If they did, can you share such stories here for our consummation and conviction?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Word Meaning / Why African Men Are So Weak? / Why The Hate Against Caribbean Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.