Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,373 members, 7,815,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Was There Really An Oyo Empire? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was There Really An Oyo Empire? (5095 Views)

Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful / An Oyo Successor State. / Oyo Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Elose11(m): 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2021
It was the British historians such as professor Robin Law, swayed by Reverend Samuel Johnson’s pretentious history of the Yorubas, that invented the claim that by the 1860s, Oyo had become the greatest empire in precolonial Nigeria. However, all the earliest writers of Yoruba history such as the Danmasanin Katsina and Sultan Bello in the 1880s, never mentioned of the existence of any Oyo empire.

The first Europeans to visit Oyo itself, including captain Hugh Clapperton and the Lander brothers never recorded that Oyo was an empire and neither did they speak of any great empire in the Oyo vicinity.

In 1668, Olfert Dapper described the Benin kingdom in details, but never mentioned any nearby great Oyo kingdom. However, the first documented mention of Oyo was two years later in 1671.

For hundreds of years, no precolonial European map mentioned any Oyo kingdom, let alone Oyo empire, even though the same European maps repeatedly depicted the Benin, Zegzeg, Borno and other kingdoms of those days.

More importantly, there has not been any documented evidence to prove that Oyo once conquered its neighbors into and empire. Dahomey, Akure, Ile Ife, Ilesha, the Owu, Ijesha, the Egba, Ijebu, the Ondos, the Owo, the Ugho, the Ekiti and a host of others, were never part of any Oyo empire.

Instead, in 1793, the Portuguese resident Archibald Dalzel, wrote as a living witness, that the Oyo kingdom was part of the Nupe empire, and was still paying annual tributes to the Etsu Nupes at the end of the 18th century.

The question we should ask ourselves is, how could Oyo have been one of the greatest empires in precolonial Nigerian history by the 1690s, when over one hundred years later in the 1790s, it was still a small kingdom paying tributes to the Etsu Nupes?

https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/fa1282be2b062b14907289a5e44d82e2?client=news

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Elose11(m): 10:23pm On Sep 30, 2021
A later invention?

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Enoch07: 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2021
Shiit happens

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Christistruth00: 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2021
Ask the Ashanti if the Oyo Empire didn’t defeat them at the Battle of Atakampe in Togo in 1764, then Ask the Nupe if the Oyo did not defeat them and take a big Part of their Territory from them up to the River Niger after Alaafin Orompoto the only female Alaafin and her Army defeated them using Horses that she had imported from Timbuktu.

After that ask the Dahomey if they did not pay tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo for almost a Century

Then we will start from there

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 10:31pm On Sep 30, 2021
Is this supposed to be a question?
There are many lies parading themselves as history in Nigeria.
One of them is that Anna Pepple was an Ijaw man.
Another is the imaginary Oyo calvary which mysteriously dissappeared and left no trace of horse or horsemanship in not just in Oyo but the entire Yoruba land.

There was never an Oyo empire. All those things are lies.

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:32pm On Sep 30, 2021
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:34pm On Sep 30, 2021
BKayy:
Is this supposed to be a question?
There are many lies parading themselves as history in Nigeria.
One of them is that Anna Pepple was an Ijaw man.
Another is the imaginary Oyo calvary which mysteriously dissappeared and left no trace of horse or horsemanship in not just in Oyo but the entire Yoruba land.

There was never an Oyo empire. All those things are lies.
Just say you are unhappy that you were still jumping naked when Yoruba were flourishing

Don't cry

You can't change history embarassed cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Lattop(m): 10:34pm On Sep 30, 2021
� Lies
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Elose11(m): 10:34pm On Sep 30, 2021
Christistruth00:

Ask the Ashanti if the Oyo Empire didn’t defeat them at the Battle of Atakampe in Togo

Sure it's not the battle of Katampe Hill in Abuja?
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
Elose11:
It was the British historians such as professor Robin Law, swayed by Reverend Samuel Johnson’s pretentious history of the Yorubas, that invented the claim that by the 1860s, Oyo had become the greatest empire in precolonial Nigeria. However, all the earliest writers of Yoruba history such as the Danmasanin Katsina and Sultan Bello in the 1880s, never mentioned of the existence of any Oyo empire.

The first Europeans to visit Oyo itself, including captain Hugh Clapperton and the Lander brothers never recorded that Oyo was an empire and neither did they speak of any great empire in the Oyo vicinity.

In 1668, Olfert Dapper described the Benin kingdom in details, but never mentioned any nearby great Oyo kingdom. However, the first documented mention of Oyo was two years later in 1671.

For hundreds of years, no precolonial European map mentioned any Oyo kingdom, let alone Oyo empire, even though the same European maps repeatedly depicted the Benin, Zegzeg, Borno and other kingdoms of those days.

More importantly, there has not been any documented evidence to prove that Oyo once conquered its neighbors into and empire. Dahomey, Akure, Ile Ife, Ilesha, the Owu, Ijesha, the Egba, Ijebu, the Ondos, the Owo, the Ugho, the Ekiti and a host of others, were never part of any Oyo empire.

Instead, in 1793, the Portuguese resident Archibald Dalzel, wrote as a living witness, that the Oyo kingdom was part of the Nupe empire, and was still paying annual tributes to the Etsu Nupes at the end of the 18th century.

The question we should ask ourselves is, how could Oyo have been one of the greatest empires in precolonial Nigerian history by the 1690s, when over one hundred years later in the 1790s, it was still a small kingdom paying tributes to the Etsu Nupes?
https://news-af.feednews.com/news/detail/fa1282be2b062b14907289a5e44d82e2?client=news
I'll advice you to get a life

6 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by OBALOLA55(m): 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
YOU ARE LOOKING FOR TROUBLE O shocked
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2021
theTranscriber:

Just say you are unhappy that you were still jumping naked when Yoruba were flourishing

Don't cry

You can't change history embarassed cheesy
You mean the Yorubas that were naked in 20th century?
Most parts of Yoruba land are still tying only wrapper today.

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Elose11(m): 10:37pm On Sep 30, 2021
theTranscriber:
[size=5pt][/size]
I'll advice you to get a life
Mind you, I am not the writer. I only posted it here. No insults pls. I come in peace.
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:44pm On Sep 30, 2021
BKayy:

that is ceremonial clothing
Like people that wear bikinis now
Ijebu was more advanced than most of Yoruba then

Bring up another pic grin

Don't let the pain stay

Cry it out shocked embarassed

Your grandparents were naked grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by ThEGodFaThEr104: 10:44pm On Sep 30, 2021
Tales by moonlight, that was how they falsely claim that their god fell from the sky with a rope and a calabash of Ewedu.
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:45pm On Sep 30, 2021
Elose11:

Mind you, I am not the writer. I only posted it here. No insults pls. I come in peace.
Yes you are jobless obviously

The article is obviously rubbish

Abohboy tao11 tao12

3 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:49pm On Sep 30, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr104:
Tales by moonlight, that was how they falsely claim that their god fell from the sky with a rope and a calabash of Ewedu.
From a people with no history and clothing created in the mid 20th century grin
Is Agu my left foot

3 Likes

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by Christistruth00: 10:52pm On Sep 30, 2021
BKayy:

This is Gen Ogendengbe of Ilesha and his boys who fought that Battle of Kiriji that ended in 1878

Don’t they look Suave for the period ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by ThEGodFaThEr104: 10:58pm On Sep 30, 2021
theTranscriber:

Is Agu my left foot
Gbogbo omo odua E ba mi pari owe yii asese jade akan.
Yinmu!
Alainironu Ara Galatia.
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 10:59pm On Sep 30, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr104:

Gbogbo omo odua E ba mi pari owe yii asese jade akan.
Yinmu!
Alainironu Ara Galatia.
Read again cheesy
theTranscriber:

Is Agu my left foot

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by ThEGodFaThEr104: 11:03pm On Sep 30, 2021
theTranscriber:

Read again cheesy
Gbenu ofo soun
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by TAO11(f): 5:34am On Oct 01, 2021
This one doesn't know what he is talking about. I really hope it's not jealousy driving you into absurdities. I really hope so.

(1) First of all, the Archibald Dalzel you mentioned actually documented that the powerful kingdom of Dahomey was under Oyo's imperial control and domination (paying annual tributes all along) until when Oyo began having internal issues. This lasted up to about 100 years.

(2) The statement from Archibald that Oyo paid tribute to Nupe around 1791 (during Oyo's imperial height) is a statement he obtained from the Dahomeans (who were under Oyo).

The statement is not found in Nupe traditions, neither is it found in Oyo's traditions. It is a swipe by Dahomey against its Oyo overlord. it has no corroboration in the traditions of the actual parties involved (i.e. 1700s Nupe and 1700s Oyo).

(3) Apart from the well-known Archibald Dalzel who wrote about Oyo's imperial domination of the Dahomey region in the 1700s, another European who wrote about Oyo's activities in the region in the 1600s is the Dutch Merchant, William Bosman. He has the following to say about one of Oyo's attack in the region.

"These being all Horsed, and a warlike Nation, in a short time mastered half of the King of Ardra's territories, and made such a slaughter among his subjects, that the Number of the Dead being innumerable, was commonly express'd by saying, "They were like the Grains of Corn in the Field ..." This Nation strikes such a terror into all the circumjacent Negroes, that they can scarce hear them mention'd without trembling: And they tell a thousand strange Things of them."

Cc: Enoch07, Christistruth00, BKayy, theTranscriber, Lattop, OBALOLA55

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by TAO11(f): 5:34am On Oct 01, 2021
An 1800s Addition Among Several Others:

Regarding the tradition of military exellence in relation to Horsemanship and marksmanship (with bow and arrow) which became the passion and favorite sport of Oyo, Richard Lander commented on the Oyo people; on a second visit to Oyo-Ile in 1826, after a journey through Bariba, Hausa and Nupe countries; as follows:

The Oyo cavalry "have the reputation of being the best bowmen in Africa; and the young men soon become excellent marksmen by frequent practice and steady perseverance ... They amuse themselves daily by attempting to discharge arrows through a small hole made for the purpose in a wall, at a great distance from the standing ground, and I have frequently seen individuals accomplished this difficult task three successive times ... from a distance of up to one hundred yards. ... it requires great and unceasing practice to attain to so much perfection."

Reference:
Richard Lander: Records of Capt. Clapperton's Last Expedition to Africa, London, Henry Colborn & Richard Bentley, 1830, Vol. 2, p.222.

Cc: Cc: Enoch07, Christistruth00, BKayy, theTranscriber, Lattop, OBALOLA55

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by christistruth01: 8:06am On Oct 01, 2021
cool
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 8:43am On Oct 01, 2021
theTranscriber:
that is ceremonial clothing
Like people that wear bikinis now
Ijebu was more advanced than most of Yoruba then

Bring up another pic grin

Don't let the pain stay

Cry it out shocked embarassed

Your grandparents were naked grin
LOL. You really want to compare your primitive people with those that literally wore money as clothes?

Like the Europeans noted "Igbo women are adorned with Ivory and copper bracelets and Anklets worth thousands of pounds"

That is millions of Naira for everyday clothing unlike you... What should I call you Yoruba people again?

There is that pic of teenage girls from Aro carnival you people like to post. The one they wear pounds of designed Ivory, copper and Silver. The girls are worth millions.

No be today we start to give black savages reason to hate
Igbo is not y'all mates

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 8:53am On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

LOL. You really want to compare your primitive people with those that literally wore money as clothes?

Like the Europeans noted "Igbo women are adorned with Ivory and copper bracelets and Anklets worth thousands of pounds"

That is millions of Naira for everyday clothing unlike you... What should I call you Yoruba people again?

There is that pic of teenage girls from Aro carnival you people like to post. The one they wear pounds of designed Ivory, copper and Silver. The girls are worth millions.

No be today we start to give black savages reason to hate
Igbo is not y'all mates
what year is that?
I950? grin
BKayy:

In 1950, Sir Louis Ojukwu have already donated his limousine to convey Princess Victoria.
Dennis Osadebe already had one of the best car collection in Ikoyi.

We are not mates
answer the question
Those women you posted
What year were their pics taken? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 8:55am On Oct 01, 2021
TAO11:
This one doesn't know what he is talking about. I really hope it's not jealousy driving you into absurdities. I really hope so.

(1) First of all, the Archibald Dalzel you mentioned actually documented that the powerful kingdom of Dahomey was under Oyo's imperial control and domination (paying annual tributes all along) until when Oyo began having internal issues. This lasted up to about 100 years.

(2) The statement from Archibald that Oyo paid tribute to Nupe around 1791 (during Oyo's imperial height) is a statement he obtained from the Dahomeans (who were under Oyo).

The statement is not found in Nupe traditions, neither is it found in Oyo's traditions. It is a swipe by Dahomey against its Oyo overlord. it has no corroboration in the traditions of the actual parties involved (i.e. 1700s Nupe and 1700s Oyo).

(3) Apart from the well-known Archibald Dalzel who wrote about Oyo's imperial domination of the Dahomey region in the 1700s, another European who wrote about Oyo's activities in the region in the 1600s is the Dutch Merchant, William Bosman. He has the following to say about one of Oyo's attack in the region.

"These being all Horsed, and a warlike Nation, in a short time mastered half of the King of Ardra's territories, and made such a slaughter among his subjects, that the Number of the Dead being innumerable, was commonly express'd by saying, "They were like the Grains of Corn in the Field ..." This Nation strikes such a terror into all the circumjacent Negroes, that they can scarce hear them mention'd without trembling: And they tell a thousand strange Things of them."

Cc: Enoch07, Christistruth00, BKayy, theTranscriber, Lattop, OBALOLA55
Madam please I want to understand something here.
When I went to Nupe land years ago, I met some Nupe people riding donkeys to farm. There it is common to see a Fulani Camel caravan because the Fulani live side by side with the Nupe people.
Same with Sokoto. On many occasions you see families known for their horsemanship. You'll see their horses being chartered for. Occasionally, we see Tuareg Camel caravan coming to trade in Nigeria.
In Borno, we saw rich families with their own horses.

So what happened to the Oyo or should I say Yoruba horsemanship?
Why is it that there is no trace of it in Yoruba land?

This is not about modernisation because even as developed as Dubai is, they still retain their ancient "falconry", camel racing and ownership.
So what happened to Oyo horsemanship?
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 8:57am On Oct 01, 2021
theTranscriber:
what year is that?
I950? grin
In 1950, Sir Louis Ojukwu have already donated his limousine to convey Princess Victoria of England.
Dennis Osadebe already had one of the best car collection in Ikoyi.

We are not mates
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by theTranscriber: 9:02am On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

When I went to Nupe land years ago, I met some Nupe people riding donkeys to farm. There it is common to see a Fulani Camel caravan because the Fulani live side by side with the Nupe people.
Same with Sokoto. On many occasions you see families known for their horsemanship. You'll see their horses being chartered for. Occasionally, we see Tuareg Camel caravan coming to trade in Nigeria.

This is not about modernisation because even as developed as Dubai is, they still retain their ancient "falconry", camel racing and ownership.
They still ride horses in Ibadan and Oyo and have Calvary festivals
Stop talking rubbish out of jealousy
This is a public forum cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by christistruth01: 9:03am On Oct 01, 2021
BKayy:

Oyo Horsemen

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 9:06am On Oct 01, 2021
christistruth01:

Oyo Horsemen
You want me to post pictures of Apams services riding horses in Enugu to claim Enugu once had a calvary?

If you can't answer the question, don't confuse yourself more.

I don't know if you are blind or you deliberately chose to ignore the two white people in the picture. One was mounting down near the man with big hat. The other is at the far right
Re: Was There Really An Oyo Empire? by BKayy: 9:09am On Oct 01, 2021
theTranscriber:

They still ride horses in Ibadan and Oyo and have Calvary festivals
Stop talking rubbish out of jealousy
This is a public forum cheesy
Shameless lie

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? / Igbo Slaves in Trinidad: Slave Census Of 1813 / 16 Ways Of Saying "Hello" Correctly In Different Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.