Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max (9689 Views)

Poll: Good for Nigeria?

Yes- Definitely: 65% (48 votes)
No: 34% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

FG Postpones 35% Levy On Used Cars Till April 30 / !*!*! Exclusive List Of Tokunbo/9ja Used Vehicles For Sale !*!*! Hurry Now / Jomodupri Glitters' Auto Thread 4 Nigerian Used Vehicles (Just Like Tokunbo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by inspiredm(m): 9:22pm On Nov 30, 2010
cecegorz:

Men, this could be really bad business for all the NL Cotonue hustlers as Inspired man and co will now be wiring all their aged autos straight to TINCAN.

Anyways, the good side to it is that there won't be any more rip-off for customers who sometimes lose their entire fund trying to smuggle an 11yr old car from Cotonue.
But then, did they consider the impact on the local auto industry that is just trying to rebuild, especially the entrance of INNOSON MOTORS    

wink
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by sucre05: 11:53pm On Nov 30, 2010
The FG got it wrong this time especially with the autos. We have more tear rubber cars on our roads today courtesy of embargo placed on cars >10 years, cos of the greater price of a tokunbo vehicle compared to a Kia, Hyundai, Nissan. Some states can even boast of brand new cars being used as taxis. In Lagos for example, the ban drastically reduced the number of vehicles on our insufficient and expired roads. Lifting the ban would only lead to chaos on our roads and cause the flood gates to open for dilapidated cars.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by kingDavid5(m): 3:29am On Dec 01, 2010
This is definitely a good news not so many people can afford d y2k cars and as for d textile industry if they give nigerians quality products we will stick to it. No one wants to go through the process of importing textile when there is one of same or better standrd back here
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by comechop(m): 6:35am On Dec 01, 2010
Whether good or bad, I love the discussion this is bringing about policy in Nigeria! Under babangida's or abacha's regime, this wouldnt even have happened. This is definitely progress. . .
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by JUO(m): 9:19am On Dec 01, 2010
good news
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by bignaija(m): 11:45am On Dec 01, 2010
kool
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 1:25pm On Dec 01, 2010
na wao! lagos roads don suffer! grin
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by missionma(m): 1:43pm On Dec 01, 2010
Good news cool
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by strangest(m): 2:34pm On Dec 01, 2010
WHOEVER BANNED THE IMPORTATION OF TEXTILE IN THE FIRST PLACE WAS VERY STUPID, PROBABLY OBJ, THE ISSUE WITH COMPANIES IS NOT IMPORTATION, THE ISSUE IS JUST ELECTRICITY, IF THE GOVERNMENT CAN SUBSIDIZE ELECTRICITY BILLS FOR THE TEXTILE COMPANIES, THEY WILL BE PRODUCING AT A COST CHEAPER THAN IMPORTED TEXTILES, MEANING THAT IMPORTED TEXTILE WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN LOCAL TEXTILE,
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by femmy2010(m): 2:54pm On Dec 01, 2010
I think what the local firm needs is not SUBSIDIZE ELECTRICITY but regular supply of electricity.
Give the economy an uninterrupted power supply and it come jump back o life.

The lifted ban on Tokunbo is a welcome development and has shown to an extent that our leaders are not that deaf.
Frankly.How many people hitherto had the fund to buy a 10year old car for millions?

Happy new month.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by strangest(m): 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2010
femmy2010:

I think what the local firm needs is not SUBSIDIZE ELECTRICITY but regular supply of electricity.
Give the economy an uninterrupted power supply and it come jump back o life.

The lifted ban on Tokunbo is a welcome development and has shown to an extent that our leaders are not that deaf.
Frankly.How many people hitherto had the fund to buy a 10year old car for millions?

Happy new month.

The subsidy definitely has to come after the uninterrupted power supply for the country. It will be better to give the subsidy to companies on electricity than giving it out importation of gas to the country. grin
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by youngmonie: 4:54pm On Dec 01, 2010
Nigerian Textile Factories May Close After Import Ban Lifted
By Editors: [bn:PRSN=1] Philip Sanders [] - Dec 1, 2010 11:38 AM GMT
inShare.More
Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email .The Nigerian government’s decision to lift a ban on imported textiles will lead to the closure of factories in the West African nation, the Nigerian Textile Manufacturers Association said.

“We cannot compete with imported textiles under the current business environment,” Jaiyeola Olarewaju, director general of the association, said in a phone interview today. “If within one year the market is saturated with imported textiles, local industries will have problems selling and many of them will certainly close down.”

The number of textile factories operating in Nigeria has already fallen to 25 from 124 in 1996, while the number of workers in the industry has slumped to 24,000 from 130,000, according to Olarewaju. He attributed the decline to the smuggling of cheap textiles from abroad, which the local industry is unable to compete against because of higher costs.

Nigeria imposed a ban on imported textiles in 2003. On Nov. 29, Finance Minister Olusegun Aganga announced that the ban on goods including textiles, furniture and beverages, will be replaced with tariffs of between 10 percent and 20 percent.

Can u see forurself, imagine how many ppl would be thrown into the unemployment market again and some ppl are yarning its good for Nigeria
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by femmy2010(m): 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2010
@strangest,
The best way to be sure fathom firm does not benefit from the "subsidy" is for the Government to make electricity work.
When power remain readily available then the local firm would save these load of cash they hitherto use to buy diesel to power their heavy duty power generating sets.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by campella(m): 10:18am On Dec 02, 2010
God news for the cars for those who have lost hope of owning a car can do so now.
Thank you GEJ
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by oge4real(f): 11:38am On Dec 02, 2010
I guess the reign of ankara is coming to an end.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by jamesugo: 12:28pm On Dec 02, 2010
It is good news.
used vehicles are potential pollutant to our environment.
Why are does vehicles rejected by the first owners?
ANS:it has developed one fault or the other. most of those vehicles have faulty combustion engine.When used, a lot of smoke (carbon monoxide) are released into the atmosphere thus polluting it.
Inhaling bits of this daily (especially cities like Lagos) reduces the life span of man.This is the major reason why death rate in cities is high compared to urban centers.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 12:40pm On Dec 02, 2010
and more traffic jam in port harcourt, lagos and other cities i guess
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by femmy2010(m): 6:51pm On Dec 02, 2010
But frankly,it would only save importers the stress of going to bring them in.
B4 the lifting of the ban,werent a 20yr old vehicle coming into the Country on a daily basis?
Not all these vehicle were sold out because they are faulty.
Lets compare this scenario.Benin Republic allows for importers to bring in vehicles and only pay for clearing after been sold or ready to be use and in Nigeria an importer of a 2010 Camry has to urgently look for the clearing fee of N1m or he would start paying demurage.
What am driving at is that the policy is most suitable for the Nigerian coffer,it would ease car user of posible disturbance by the customs but does not make these vehicles any cheaper than it is now.
These that were unable to buy b4 the lifting of the ban might still not be able to buy one given the same prevailing economic condition.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by DisGuy: 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2010
jamesugo:

It is good news.
used vehicles are potential pollutant to our environment.
Why are does vehicles rejected by the first owners?
ANS:it has developed one fault or the other. most of those vehicles have faulty combustion engine.When used, a lot of smoke (carbon monoxide) are released into the atmosphere thus polluting it.
Inhaling bits of this daily (especially cities like Lagos) reduces the life span of man.This is the major reason why death rate in cities is high compared to urban centers.

True

Older cars will probably fail pollution tests compared to newer ones
Newer cars are safer as a result of innovation and new technology/materials
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by sulad82i(m): 8:13pm On Dec 02, 2010
If the clearing price is reduced for the older cars then it might make sense to expect lower sales price cos sometimes, the difference in price when buying those cars from the US comes down to mileage. U can get a 99 car with very low mileage @ d same price as a 05 car with high mileage. And in 9ja were anything is possible, the mileage are sometimes changed so the cars can appeal to customers and bring in more $$$$$
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by erico2k2(m): 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2010
@Dis guy and ugo
I totaly disagree with you guys, just cos a car is termed 2nd hand dont necessary mean they are faulty, cars are well looked after her in the developed countries,my Bosses cars is nearly 25 yrs old,over here in the Uk, we have valid MOT test center and as you know, its done yearly and teh combustion test is the first part of the MOT test, if it dont pass that its a fail and you got to sot it b4 you try again, and also dont 4get, that the Eu has agreed to implement the Low emission Zone in the Uk I know its within the M25, there are cameras ready to snap your vehicle if you level of emission goes above the required limits,in my opinion, all cars made from 1997 have at least %50 identity as the newest 60 plates in town.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by DisGuy: 10:51pm On Dec 02, 2010
Ericko2k2

the part i'm agreeing with is the pollution bit, there's absolutely nothing wrong with older cars just stating the environment/safety advantage of newer production methods

older cars in the UK have less stringent combustion tests so they should pass their MOT with regular maintenance, I think one of the aim oft he last scrappage scheme last year was to reduce high polluting cars
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 1:04pm On Dec 03, 2010
i'm not sure the gov't considered the polution aspect before rushing to raise the bar.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by erico2k2(m): 10:17pm On Dec 03, 2010
Dis Guy
I dont think you get what Im trying to say, Cars here dont smoke at all at all,if your car emits that much smoke to cos concern, you will be stopped fined and your car removed promptly from public roads.So in a short sentence, smokey cars dont realy drive on roads here.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by DisGuy: 10:46pm On Dec 03, 2010
when i say pollution, i'm not just taking about smoke that comes out of the exhaust I'm talking generally about the content of the 'air' that comes out of the exhaust- the CO2 emissions

You do know car tax is calculated partly with the amount of CO2 emissions, that's why green cars are exempted from the congestion charge
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by erico2k2(m): 12:04am On Dec 04, 2010
Dis Guy:

when i say pollution, i'm not just taking about smoke that comes out of the exhaust I'm talking generally about the content of the 'air' that comes out of the exhaust- the CO2 emissions

You do know car tax is calculated partly with the amount of CO2 emissions, that's why green cars are exempted from the congestion charge
Well, so you are telling me the CO2 emissions gonna increase just cos its destination 9ja?well if dont change then its sa me situation world wide lol no biggie, so CO2 in UK/US IS SAME IN Nigeria unless one fails to do proper service or maintainance and that is down to the owner no the fact that the car is 15 years Old,correct me if Im wrong.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Busybody2(f): 1:40pm On Dec 04, 2010
Dem don come Autosection lipsrsealed Here we go again with the eldorado that is UK where all the MOT test centres are legit and every inch of square foot of its land mass has been designated a low emmission zone lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by sultaan(m): 6:23pm On Dec 04, 2010
Last year in the US there was a program with government giving a $3500 rebate if you trade in a used car for a new one(to stimulate auto industry and reduce emission). So you get $4500 rebate if you trade a V8 truck for a small 4cyl. Now look at the numbers and how economists were able to push it through.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System
Data of CARS http://www.cars.gov/carsreport/index.html

1) In the end 680,000 car were sold, same number of old cars taken off road.(@$17k total value ~$11.6b)
2) Most of new cars are 4cyl, reducing fuel burnt and emission.
3)I know I paid about $1500 in taxes, calculate that for 680,000 cars(@$1100 total tax ~$750m)
4) Most cars are financed, with ~$3k in interest charged (@$2000 total int ~$1.4b)
All these transactions were done within 2 months based on a bill with the purpose of increasing average fuel economy and stimulating auto sales.The $1b proposed for the bill was gone in a month and subsequent $2b gone in 3 weeks! because it was tailored to the people's needs.
Nobody seems to have any idea of what the government is trying to achieve increase revenue or reduce car prices. Fact is Nigerians can't maintain newer cars.

We've all seen the Naija gov run circles on used cars importation its not clear what the purpose of these changes are but nothing changes on the ground.
Here are some of the issue we've gone through
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-214751.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-298512.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-192536.0.html
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Busybody2(f): 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2010
^^^ Chei, oyinbo no go finische today, chai see oppression shocked I need to bring forward my appointment with my Engrish Professor Ola Olabiy asap embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by cleakoms: 3:26am On Dec 05, 2010
I think It's hightime some Nigerians stopped being sentimental and be objective and rational in their expressions. What is wrong  with allowing 15 years old automobiles into a country where the minimum wage is less than 100 dollars and where there is no single automobile manufacturing plant? In my view, there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Even in developed countries,cars over 60 years (Vintage) are still bought and used  but the governements have proper measure such as the MOT tests to determine whether a car is road worthy or not . This same Test is available in Nigeria but it is already bastardised and abused. You only need 2 thousand Naira and a phone call to get your MOT result prepared and handed over to you by testing centres.

So, It is proper measures  to check the road worthiness of automobiles that should be employed and not deny the average poor Nigerian from possessing a car. An average Nigerian cannot boast of 50,000 Naira monthly salary and some people are here talking about placing a ban on 15 years old automobile.

As for me, this is a very rational step by this administration, when Nigeria as a country can boast of 5 to 6 automobile assembly plant and a constant source of Electricity supply, then we can  take further measures to stopping importation of cars that are not road worth.

The problem with most Nigerians is that we deceive ourselves a lot and until we face the reality, development will be far from our nation, This country is one of the poorest countries in the world based on per capita income and people are talking about stopping importation of what we don't produce. Common tooth pick, we cannot produce and even the ones produced break off as u pick your tooth.

Please Nigerians, Let us call a spade a spade, This country is very poor for now.God help us,
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 11:08am On Dec 05, 2010
cleakoms,
the poverty your talking about is poverty of the mind and not of resources.

in this country we have more what it takes to be greater than all these other countries
we're importing 20yr old cars from but unfortunately because of poverty of ideas from
our leaders all these resources are lying waste.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by mastro: 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2010

Posted by: sultaan

Last year in the US there was a program with government giving a $3500 rebate if you trade in a used car for a new one(to stimulate auto industry and reduce emission). So you get $4500 rebate if you trade a V8 truck for a small 4cyl. Now look at the numbers and how economists were able to push it through.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System
Data of CARS http://www.cars.gov/carsreport/index.html

1) In the end 680,000 car were sold, same number of old cars taken off road.(@$17k total value ~$11.6b)
2) Most of new cars are 4cyl, reducing fuel burnt and emission.
3)I know I paid about $1500 in taxes, calculate that for 680,000 cars(@$1100 total tax ~$750m)
4) Most cars are financed, with ~$3k in interest charged (@$2000 total int ~$1.4b)
All these transactions were done within 2 months based on a bill with the purpose of increasing average fuel economy and stimulating auto sales.The $1b proposed for the bill was gone in a month and subsequent $2b gone in 3 weeks! because it was tailored to the people's needs.
Nobody seems to have any idea of what the government is trying to achieve increase revenue or reduce car prices. Fact is Nigerians can't maintain newer cars.

We've all seen the Naija gov run circles on used cars importation its not clear what the purpose of these changes are but nothing changes on the ground.
Here are some of the issue we've gone through
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-214751.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-298512.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-192536.0.html

exactly, what are they trying to achive, is it so everyman can afford to buy a car, or so they can force cotonou out if business.
I see no rational behind the ban in the first place, what we really need is a roadworthyness standard that is properly enforced.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2016 Model Lexus Rx350 Fsports Toks Fully Loaded / Extremely Clean Toyota Highlander (toks) For 2.6m Asking Price / 2009 MAZDA CX-9 GRAND TOURING **** Pre Ordered by Probity100 from Inspired Autos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.