Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,773 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max (9688 Views)

Poll: Good for Nigeria?

Yes- Definitely: 65% (48 votes)
No: 34% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

FG Postpones 35% Levy On Used Cars Till April 30 / !*!*! Exclusive List Of Tokunbo/9ja Used Vehicles For Sale !*!*! Hurry Now / Jomodupri Glitters' Auto Thread 4 Nigerian Used Vehicles (Just Like Tokunbo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Ikenna351(m): 11:50pm On Dec 05, 2010
cleakoms:

I think It's hightime some Nigerians stopped being sentimental and be objective and rational in their expressions. What is wrong with allowing 15 years old automobiles into a country where the minimum wage is less than 100 dollars and where there is no single automobile manufacturing plant? In my view, there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Even in developed countries,cars over 60 years (Vintage) are still bought and used but the governements have proper measure such as the MOT tests to determine whether a car is road worthy or not . This same Test is available in Nigeria but it is already bastardised and abused. You only need 2 thousand Naira and a phone call to get your MOT result prepared and handed over to you by testing centres.

So, It is proper measures to check the road worthiness of automobiles that should be employed and not deny the average poor Nigerian from possessing a car. An average Nigerian cannot boast of 50,000 Naira monthly salary and some people are here talking about placing a ban on 15 years old automobile.

As for me, this is a very rational step by this administration, when Nigeria as a country can boast of 5 to 6 automobile assembly plant and a constant source of Electricity supply, then we can take further measures to stopping importation of cars that are not road worth.

The problem with most Nigerians is that we deceive ourselves a lot and until we face the reality, development will be far from our nation, This country is one of the poorest countries in the world based on per capita income and people are talking about stopping importation of what we don't produce. Common tooth pick, we cannot produce and even the ones produced break off as u pick your tooth.

Please Nigerians, Let us call a spade a spade, This country is very poor for now.God help us,

Thank you Very much Cleakoms. God will Bless you . Its people like you, realists, that I like dealing with.

And to you George D & Sucre05,. You guys should stop been heartless. Just because you can afford to buy new car or 15 yr old car does not mean every Nigerian can. You made it sound like owing auto is meant for lucky fat earners like you people. Just pray that God will not take away that wealth He gave you guys for been ungrateful to him and seeing others as failures.

Ikenna.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 4:36pm On Dec 06, 2010
ikenna,
i think you got it all wrong. nobody is trying to be heartless. what i'm saying is that if our resources were put to good use, every citizen would be far better for it and there would be no need to import 15 or 20yr old cars from countries who don't have up to half the resources we have.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by erico2k2(m): 9:00am On Dec 12, 2010
@ikena
Spot on, you've just wrapped the whole argument !
@georgeD
check this,the MET Police force which is the bigest in the whole UK have BMWs as thier main pursuit car,does that mean they are stupid for importing a foriegn car?
secondly,there is a huge market in imported cars in teh Uk ie from JAPAN cos they are RHD,but the diffrence is rather than put age limits on cars imported to the Uk, they pay more concern on the road worthingness of the car and if it fits EU standars and this is not done at the ports though but by your Insurance and when registration is going to take place.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 1:22pm On Dec 13, 2010
erico,
even with that, you'll never catch the met police dead in a 20 year old bmw!
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by erico2k2(m): 7:40pm On Dec 13, 2010
George_D:

erico,
even with that, you'll never catch the met police dead in a 20 year old BMW!
lol not realy their Cars are usually from 55 plates,I was just stressing the importation of cars ain't bad thingy,to my conclusion, if a car is maintained and is road worthy then its all good to go anywhere for a happy new owner,just so you know, I have seen two years old cars here which suddenly become unroadworthy and fail MOT lol
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 10:42am On Dec 14, 2010
erico,
yeah i know but relatively speaking you can't get same amount of performance from a 20yr old car as you would a 2yr old no matter how well maintained the 20yr old car is.

as for importation not being a bad thing, i quit agree. but again it is not good as a country to be completely dependent on other nations for everything up to your chewing sticks.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by erico2k2(m): 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2010
yeh I agree wi th you on the 2nd line right there, but we are Nigerians eh, what do you think,hence we are developing Nation and a third world copuntry, but E go better,The average Nigerian dont have the money to afford a new car, even those we call brand new cars in Nigeria ie KIA,they are crap, you wont find thier spec here in Europe or America,the developed special ones for the Nigerian mkt
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Ikenna351(m): 12:25am On Dec 15, 2010
George_D:

erico,
yeah i know but relatively speaking you can't get same amount of performance from a 20yr old car as you would a 2yr old no matter how well maintained the 20yr old car is.

as for importation not being a bad thing, i quit agree. but again it is not good as a country to be completely dependent on other nations for everything up to your chewing sticks.

George.

There is something you need to understand. Well maintained Passenger's car can last more than 20 years and still pull fine with the original engine. A two year old car, if not properly cared for, might die before it reaches 5 years old or 50 thousand kilometers. Let me give you example. How many Nigerians know about running-in period for brand new cars? Trust me, 95% of new car owners dont even know what that means, not to think of adhering to it. If that instruction from the car makers is not followed, the life span of the engine has been reduced drastically. If the engine is meant to last for 10 years/300, 000 kilometers before rebuild, then it might not exceed 4 years/100, 000 km without showing sign of serious failure, warming up to strike when it feels is time to deal with the owner.

Second point, how many Nigerian new car owners check their owners manual to know when Cambelt is due for replacement, which can kill the engine completely if broken or slipped? Most Nigerians are force to visit or call their auto mechanics when their cars strand them on road. For us, servicing of car is just to drain all fluids,refill, replace oil filter and replace spark plugs, if we have extra change to waste. Most new car owners here in Nigeria have this mentality that they have nothing to do with auto mechanics anymore , after all, "Its a BRAND NEW!" To my own understanding, most car manufacturers instruct that the cambelts must be replaced at 40 or 50k km. Most new car owners dont even bother to open their car bonnets, except when drainig & refilling fluids.

What am I trying to say, a 20 year old well maintained car is much better to own, than a 2 year old carelesly poor handled car.

Ikenna.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Fhemmmy: 4:00am On Dec 15, 2010
What is the effect of this on clearing and its cost?
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by GeorgeD1(m): 10:45am On Dec 15, 2010
ikenna,
all what you have said is true. however you did not explain why we have to depend on foreign imports in a country endowed with so much resources.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Ikenna351(m): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2010
George.

Why we have to depend on Imports? Hmm! When you & I hv left PAN, the only auto plantin Nigeria, and now buy imported brand new autos imported : Toyota, Honda, Kia,etc. So, both the brand new & used vehicles on Nigerian road are all imported. Does that answered your question?
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by DisGuy: 3:38am On Mar 14, 2011
Fhemmmy:

What is the effect of this on clearing and its cost?
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by DisGuy: 4:57am On Jul 12, 2011
None, . . .?
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 13, 2011
erico2k2:

lol not realy their Cars are usually from 55 plates,I was just stressing the importation of cars ain't bad thingy,to my conclusion, if a car is maintained and is road worthy then its all good to go anywhere for a happy new owner,just so you know, I have seen two years old cars here which suddenly become unroadworthy and fail MOT lol

An old thread, but just so you know - an automobile in the UK doesn't require an MOT till its third year. This is calculated from the date of first registration. So no one would be having their two-year-old car MOT'd.
Re: Fg Increase Bar On Used Vehicles Aka Tokunbo- 15years Max by Funkstein(m): 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2011
LOL, Sienna I tire no be small O!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CLEAN 2011 TACOMA 12M LAST!!! / 2016 Model Lexus Rx350 Fsports Toks Fully Loaded / Extremely Clean Toyota Highlander (toks) For 2.6m Asking Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.