Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho (9924 Views)

Synw Congratulates Prof. Kole Omotosho At 80 / Why I Separated Myself From Catholicism – Chimamanda Adichie / Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:22pm On Dec 26, 2019
Hey everyone! This is Tope Omotosho, the author of Once Upon A First Love and I'll keep loving you.

Compliments of the season. Hope we all had a wonderful Christmas. smiley

So I write this story a while back and I'm sharing with you all. Hope you enjoy it.

It's titled SEPARATED.

Copyright © 2019 Tope Omotosho
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or
mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing
from the publisher, except by reviewers, who may quote brief passages in a review.
Published in Nigeria by Leverage Press.

Email: topeogunyinka@gmail.com
Instagram: @topeomotoshowrites
Facebook: Tope Omotosho

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:26pm On Dec 26, 2019
Chapter One

It was always a joy to leave the house. Even at a young age she knew being with her mum choked her. She could have managed it like she had been doing in the past, but today was different. Today she wanted to explore and be free for once in her life. The air outside smelled of burnt jollof-rice from the mama-put not too far from the house. Her stomach grumbled but she didn't obey it's call, rather she quickened her steps as she ran out of the compound unnoticed in her bathroom slippers. Not having enough time to change into something else.
The security guard was out of sight.
He was trying to toast Aminat at the back of the compound after Zainab had forged a note that the house-help liked him and was too shy to tell him in person. Zainab could imagine how it would all turn out, especially since Aminat was an illiterate.
Zainab chuckled as she ran down the street to Sonia's house. Not caring her actions would land her in serious trouble with her step-father.
Sonia was the closest person Zainab could call a friend. Their parents had never been close but were cordial to one another. Not because they wanted to, but because as cousins it was what was expected of them. Zainab's mother was an only child and assumed to be spoilt and aloof. Zainab guessed her distant aunt to be jealous of her mother. All because Zainab’s mother was the favourite in the family.
Zainab called Sonia out with their usual call of throwing little stones at her bedroom window. Within minutes Sonia came out of the house and they both ran off to an uncompleted building not far off. It was their usual hangout and get away from home.
"My mother is so annoying. She just irritates me!" Zainab said, kicking stones at a rusty drum at a far corner. Annoyed her mother had done little to dissuade her step-father from flogging her for watching TV on a school week.
"Have you ever kissed a girl?" Sonia asked out of the blue.
"What?" Zainab stopped kicking at stones and glanced up at Sonia. She was curling a strand of her hair around her finger. "No."
"Would you like to?"
"No. It sounds weird."
Sonia nodded. "It's actually not. I do it all the time. I have this friend in school who likes to kiss a lot. Both guys and girls."
Zainab thought Sonia was joking until she said, "Do you want to try it out?"
Zainab stared at her cousin’s lips, always harboured the thought of them being too pink to be natural. Her eyes moved from her lips to look at her. It wouldn't be bad to kiss her. Her face flawless albeit a pimple which decided to show up whenever she was on her period. Then Zainab found herself thinking it wouldn’t be a bad idea to kiss her.
As if Sonia could tell what Zainab was thinking, with a knowing smile she jumped up to her feet and walked towards Zainab. Zainab’s gaze now fixated on a small stone coated with sand.
"Are you scared?" She asked.
Zainab shrugged. "No. What's there?"
Sonia’s pink lips spread into a smile and she leaned close while Zainab momentarily snapped her eyes shut.
Zainab discarded the thought. She didn't want time think too much on it. Ever since Sonia returned she had been bothering her; talking about the wedding and how silly it was for Zainab to go through with it.
You will never be happy with a man, Zainab.
Zainab rolled her eyes. That was Sonia's business; she could continue her nagging but Zainab was having none of it.
She looked around her.
Her clothes were all over the place ‘cause of the wedding plans. Well, Zainab chose to blame it on the wedding than her dislike for house chores. Neither her not I.K wanted to wait for more than six months to get married. Their wedding was just two months away and there was so much to do. Adesewa, her maid-of-honour, wasn’t coming till a week to the wedding so the bulk of the work fell on Zainab’s shoulders.
Her consolation was Audrey had offered to help out and would be in Abuja in two weeks’ time. Zainab sighed inwardly. Although Audrey could sometimes be a pain in the neck, Zainab was glad to have someone around her.
Zainab sighed out loud and began sorting out her clothes; both dirty and clean. I.K was in Dubai at the moment and wouldn’t be back till next week. It was going to be a long and boring weekend for her.
Gosh, I need a smoke.
She got off the couch and went to her room and to her wardrobe. The shoebox was underneath her clothes. She walked back to her bed and got the lid off. Her stash of weed was almost out and she made a mental note to ask I.K to bring some home when he got back from his trip.
Wasn’t it just eleven months ago she had questioned her relationship with I.K and now they were getting married. She remembered the night he proposed; being all romantic. Zainab's lips tilted up to a smile. She loved I.K but she wasn’t going to admit how much to him. But the doubts were still there; if she was making the right decision and if she and I.K could have a blissful marriage and still have fun. Just like how it was when they were dating.
Her mother came to mind and she remembered the letters she read at her biological father’s place, following the recent discovery that her father was a pastor in Ibadan and how much her mother was in love with him. Zainab chased the thoughts away and placed the box back in her closet.
Her dirty pile of clothes increasing by the day. Unfortunately, she was in no mood to do laundry.
She wondered if she should let her biological father know she was getting married. It wasn’t like he was a big part of her life. He occasionally sent her messages and called to ask how she was doing. He had even offered to send her money, but she had declined. It wasn’t like he was rich with the few naira notes he made as a pastor. He had his other daughter to worry about.
Zainab’s half-sister, Efe, who was a thorn to her best-friend, Adesewa. The same sister who had married Adesewa’s long-time boyfriend. But then Karma had inflicted it’s pain on her. Zainab got to know Daniel had kicked Efe out of the house. Zainab felt no pity for the girl. She had messed around with someone else’s man and now she was paying dearly for it.

3 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:36pm On Dec 26, 2019

It was one in the morning and it was quiet, except for the crickets doing their usual nightly rounds. The sounds only re-echoed her feelings. Pain. Sadness. Unhappiness. They were like little demons preying on her heart and she was tired of it all. Tired of the hollow feeling that crept up on her frequently when she was all alone. She wanted it to come to an end.
Efe sneezed gently and drew the covers closer to her body. The mosquitoes dancing near her ear to a tune she didn’t know. She was serving in the far town of Cross-rivers state. Far from her family and the life she had always known. Far from her daughter . . . Far from Daniel.
She and Daniel had both agreed for their daughter to stay with his family for the time being until they could settle on a permanent arrangement for her. Efe’s father had been distraught; a huge fight harbouring between him and Daniel.
Daniel.
Efe shifted on the bed as she thought of him. The same man she had crushed on for years and began to love. The man she had given her virginity to. He was the father of her daughter. But she had done wrong by him; trapping him with her pregnancy and forcing him to marry her against his wishes when he loved someone else. And what did it lead to? A failed marriage. And now they were separated; taking time out to think on the next step.
So this is how it feels like to be separated from your husband? All the chaos and pain. . . God when would this end? I know I made a mistake in the past, but how long would my punishment last? Or isn’t this a punishment?
No scripture dropped in her heart. No answer from God. It was awful. Now she understood what it meant when people said God was silent. No longer did she feel His presence comforting her like before. It was frustrating.
Efe remembered back in church it was easy to ask couples not to separate from their spouses when their marriage was undergoing tough times, but it was easier said than done. It was easy for people to say all that when they had never been in such a difficult situation. They were all going through the religious motions and not acting it all out.
Just like love.
Efe chuckled silently; careful not to awaken her new room-mate.
It was easy to say ‘love your enemies’ but it was really hard to do.
But uncle John acted it all out. Loving Funlola despite all the things she did to him. Sleeping with men that weren’t her husband.
The mere thought of Daniel with another woman tore at her heart and she couldn’t imagine how Uncle John got past the pain of Funlola’s betrayal. It was definitely God all the way.
“So where are You now God?” She whispered to her pillow. “Where are You when I need you the most in my life and at this moment?”
Lean on me.
Lean on You, God? It’s been three months already and Daniel hasn’t gotten back to me. I’m trusting in You but it’s hard. What do I do?
Wait on me.
Lean . . . Wait . . . I’m afraid I can’t wait any more . . . Why wait? I’ve waited all these years.
With that line of thought on her mind she finally drifted off to sleep.
The next day she got to work with baggy eyes. She was serving in an oil company, courtesy of Daniel’s father who was trying to right his son’s wrongs by helping out whatever way he could.
Efe worked as a personal assistant to the Assistant Managing Director in the company. So it entailed a lot of running around and setting up meetings and other tiring tasks. A plus of the job was the salary; a whooping figure for her first job. Efe already had plans after NYSC. She had plans to go abroad and do her masters in psychology. But she would be taking her daughter and no one would stop her.
“Mrs. Nwachukwu?”
Efe looked up from the computer screen at her boss who stood before her. “Yes sir.”
He stretched out a couple of papers to her which she took. “Make copies of this for me and bring it up to my office.”
“Okay sir. Erm - How many copies will you like?”
He shrugged. “Two of each is fine. Thanks.” He winked at her and took off to his office.
Pamela, her room-mate/colleague, came to her table as soon as the boss was out of sight. “What did he want?”
Efe raised the papers up. “He wants me to make copies of this for him.”
“That’s strange. He should just have called you up to his office and given it to you instead of coming out here.”
Efe didn’t get her. “What’s wrong with him coming here to give it to me?”
With one hand on Efe’s table and the other on her slim waist, she leaned on the table and whispered. “Because that man is very arrogant! Too proud.” She hissed. “He’s the type to buzz for his secretary to come wipe the catarrh from his nose. I don’t know why God blesses the handsome ones with pride and terrible attitude.”
Efe chuckled lightly. “You’re not serious. God doesn’t bless people with pride jor. It’s we ourselves that decide to be too pompous and think we don’t need anyone other than ourselves.” She said as she got about making the photocopies.
Pamela waved her hand. “Abeg, I know . . . Before you begin to preach. But come to think of it, I think oga likes you.”
Efe stopped what she was doing and frowned at Pamela. “Get that silly thought out of your head!”
“Na wa o! See how you snapped at me. I’m only telling you what I see. He’s not that bad nau. He’s young, well in his late thirties. He’s rich, he’s hot, he’s -”
“Since he meets your taste why don’t you go after him?”
Pamela shook her head. “I heard gist about him. Besides,” She turned so Efe could get a look at her back view and said, “Which man can resist this? No offence, but how can he see this and not be attracted?! I just think there’s something wrong somewhere.”
Efe chuckled and shook her head; Pamela seemed to be talking in circles. “See you at lunch jere.”
Papers in hand, she walked to his office and knocked. She heard him call for her to come in. On sighting him from where she stood she couldn’t deny he was indeed as handsome as Pamela, and literary all the women in the office, said he was. She dropped the papers on his table and asked if he needed anything else.
“Yes. Please, have a seat.”
She drew a chair back and sat. He got up from his chair and came to sit opposite her on the edge of his glass table. She didn’t know how to react to how they were merely inches apart.
“Efe, why do you keep turning me down?”
Efe looked down at her hands. Yesterday afternoon she had made her decision but now she struggled with it.
“I told you I’m married.”
“No, you’re separated. There’s a difference.”
But in My eyes you are still married.
She gasped as the words came to her swiftly. She looked up at Amanze’s face that held on a bewildered look, unaware of the battle going on within her. She shook her head. “We made a mistake the first time. I - I still feel guilty.”
His strong hands caressed her face and Efe felt herself shiver from his touch that she knew had nothing to do with the sub-zero temperature of his office. “Guilt, to me, means you enjoyed what we did.” She felt him lean close to her. His breath on her face that smelled of the coffee she made for him earlier on. She wondered what gist Pamela had heard of him even as his lips pressed against hers. Wondering if she wasn’t making another mistake.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 1:26pm On Dec 26, 2019

The church disapproved of his decisions to leave Efe. John wasn’t supportive of it either. But who cared? They weren’t going to live in the same house with her. A woman he trusted and had manipulated her way into his life. He didn’t care that his father had slapped him and practically disowned him when he told them about his separation. He didn’t care if his whole life seemed to be falling apart.
All that mattered was Adesewa giving him another chance to right his many wrongs. Adesewa was the woman he truly loved. Even after his betrayal of getting Efe pregnant while they were still dating, she had taken him back only for him to disappoint her again by marrying Efe.
He was a fool. And now she wanted nothing to do with him. Despite having begged her for the past couple of months. He suspected she was seeing someone but had no idea who it was.
“I don’t know what to do any more. I have begged you severally, Ade. I’m leaving Efe -”
“And all for what? To get back with me? That’s never going to happen, Daniel. Never.”
He rose from his seat and reached out to touch her but she shoved him away. “No Daniel! Not again. We can’t do this again. I gave my life to Christ. I changed my ways and God is making me a better person. You need to change as well. You need God. Efe might have slept with you and all but the past is the past and cannot be rewritten! You are married and you have to make it work. Forget me-”
“No, Ade I don’t want to forget you. I can’t forget the love we share. I want to hold you in my arms and tell you how much I love you. I want to have a family with you and together we raise Ulunma.”
Adesewa threw her head back and laughed out loud. “You must be joking! Me raise your daughter with you when she still has a mother and you’re still married? Do you hear yourself at all as you speak? Daniel, what happened to you?”
He ran his hand over his head. “Adesewa, please hear me out and let’s forget the past. I’m sorry for what I did, forgive me.”
She nodded. “I forgive you Daniel, but I don’t want you back. Please don’t make this harder for us. Being friends is not even an option.”
He had every reason to believe there was someone else in her life. But he wondered if it was someone he knew. These days she hardly picked his calls, so he thought of trying to get Ebuka to talk to her. At least the two of them were getting along with each other and Ebuka could speak on Daniel’s behalf. Daniel was heading to his friend’s house now so they could talk.
As he arrived at Ebuka’s place he saw a Red Range Rover that reminded him so much of Adesewa’s car. He parked his car safe from the main road and crossed to Ebuka’s apartment. He rang the bell and pounded the door. His heart beating rapidly at the thought of seeing Adesewa there or –
He shook his head and discarded the ludicrous thought.
“I dey come jor! Who be dat?”
“Aceman! Na Daniel.”
The shuffling of feet stopped and everything grew silent. A minute later the door opened and Daniel walked in, going straight to his friend’s living room without any greeting. There he found Adesewa seated, arms folded. Not pleased to see him.
“Adesewa, what are you doing here?”
“I came to report you to Ebuka.”
“That’s interesting. I came to tell Ebuka to beg you to hear me out.”
Ebuka leaned against a wall, watching the both of them.
“Daniel, when are you going to finally understand that nothing can happen between us?! I’m getting tired of your calls and your constant begging. Please, leave me alone and let me have my own life. Go back to your wife.”
“I sent her out of the house.”
“Then you have made a mistake sending away the only woman who really loves you.”
He frowned. What does that mean? “Ade, what are you trying to say? That you don’t love me again?”
She got up from the couch and picked up her bag. “Yes. I don’t love you that way.”
He walked closer to her and she shrunk back. “You don’t love me that way? You don’t miss my kisses on your lips? You don’t miss the way I make love to you?”
“Step back, Daniel.” She took another step back, her voice heavy with warning but it did nothing to deter him.
“You don’t miss the way I touch you? You don’t miss me in your arms and the way you shudder at my caresses?” He pulled her close to him, holding her by the waist against her will. He heard Ebuka tell him to stop but he was turning deaf to what anyone was saying. He wanted Adesewa to remember him. To remember their moments together. To remember the times she screamed his name.
He forced his lips down on hers and was met with a slap and a blow to his back. He doubled over in pain and had to balance one hand on the chair so he wouldn’t fall to the ground. Adesewa pushed him away and ran out the door. He heard the car door slam and the screech of her tires as she drove away.
“What is wrong with you Daniel? When did all this madness start?”
Daniel exhaled as he sat on a chair and rubbed his eyes tiredly. “I don’t know jere. I really love her and I’m trying to right my wrongs.” He rubbed his back, “Guy, you didn’t hve to hit me that hard.”
“So far you haven’t been righting any wrongs. Rather, you have been making more.”
“What can I do?”
“Forget her.”
Daniel shook his head. Not that simple. “It’s hard.”
“But you have to. She doesn’t love you.”
Daniel didn’t want to consider that happening. “Maybe she’s punishing me for what I did to her. You know it took her a year to let go of what I did. Maybe I need to keep begging her some more.”
Ebuka sighed and took his seat opposite Daniel. “I really hope you see the light someday soon.”
Daniel shook his head. I never want to see the light when it comes to Adesewa. I can’t accept she doesn’t want me any-more. Never.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2019
Please if you're following lemme know cheesy

A 'go on' will do smiley

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 1:59pm On Dec 26, 2019

Efe moved shaky hands to her lips. It was sore and slightly swollen from Amanze’s kisses. A part of her knew what she was doing was wrong. But then another part felt so good. That a man as handsome as him could take an interest in her. Her phone vibrated. The words in the text message made her gasp.

Already missing you. Dinner at my place? 9pm.

Efe raised her head and looked around her guiltily, as though someone could guess what was happening behind the closed doors of Amanze’s office. When she saw no one deemed her worthy of any attention she typed out, I’m sorry I’m not ready for all this. She sent the message and put her phone on silent to prevent further distractions. She set out to get the day’s job done and when her boss requested for her attention she made sure she acted professional and didn’t give in to his silent wooing calls.
At break she hurried out with Pamela and few other female staffs that were more of Pamela’s friends than hers. Women who liked fashion, gossip. . . Things Efe avoided at all costs and was less bothered about. But while she was there, she kept herself company with her own thoughts. Occasionally drifting in and out of their conversations.
“I’m looking for opportunities out there,” Pamela said before putting a spoonful of rice in her mouth, careful to finish chewing before she continued. “I need to start this my modelling business ASAP.”
“Madam Model. You’ve been going on and on about this modelling thing. Do you think your parents would allow you?” One of the girls, a secretary to one of the managers, asked Pamela.
“Abeg, they don’t have a choice. Have I not done all they want? Spent five years of my life reading law. I would give them my degree and all the receipts of all my school-fees. They should use that one to make themselves happy.”
The girls laughed.
“It’s true nau. I know what I want and that’s what I’m going to do.”
“But you know that business is very costly and nothing comes for free in this country. Are you prepared for all that?”
Efe could guess the ‘costs’ they were all referring to and listened on to what Pamela would say as she chewed on her piece of meat that was hard.
“They say nothing good comes easy. So a girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do.”
Efe wanted to tell Pamela she couldn’t say that. That all good things came from God and they were without sorrow. But she said nothing, and it wasn’t because of the meat that was making her jaw ache from constantly chewing. It was ‘cause of her guilt. She had given up on anything good coming from God for the past few months. She took a paper-napkin and spat out the piece of meat.
“I like your spirit.” The oldest among them said. “You would go far with that . . .”
Very far to hell, Efe thought.
Who are you to judge?

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2019
You are invited.

Emex100, AryEmber
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 4:26pm On Dec 26, 2019
“Efe, why are you so quiet? Has your oga had you working too much?”
Efe looked at her and wondered if she knew anything. She shook her head. “Not really. Just paperwork and setting meetings.”
“That man is just too handsome. I wish I was the one working with him.” Pamela said and took a sip of pure water. “I wonder why he hasn’t married yet.”
“A man as fine as him must have a lot of problems chasing him for him not to be married yet.”
“Problems or not, I wouldn’t mind being with him.”
“Nkechi are you that desperate?” Pamela joked and they all laughed.
Break time was over and they all made their way back to their offices. Efe got to her desk and saw a pile of paperwork waiting for her. She groaned inwardly. She had been hoping she would be able to go home early but with all the work she had in front of her to do, her dream of doing so was not going to happen.
Is Amanze deliberately punishing me?
Efe took her seat and for the next two hours she typed out all the information. She backed them up. In between her boss called her and asked for her to pick up his suit at the dry-cleaners before they closed at seven and thereafter he had her pick up some documents from a client’s office (of which she wondered why the client couldn’t send one of his employees to deliver the documents) and she dashed back to an empty office at few minutes to eight only to discover her boss had gone home leaving her strict instructions to finish her work. With clenched teeth and desperate attempts not to insult her boss, she continued with her work and got the Agenda ready for tomorrow’s meeting.
She checked the time. It was ten minutes past nine when she was done with everything and her fingers hurt from having typed so long.
Efe picked up her bag, hoping she would get a cab on time. She heard the elevator and turned to see her boss walk in with two big, white nylon bags.
What is he doing here?
He raised the bags up as he walked towards her. “I brought dinner. Hope you like Chinese.”
“Dinner? For whom?”
He was standing close to her table now and she could smell the food. Her stomach grumbled.
“For you. Actually, for the both of us. I asked for dinner at 9pm and you blew me off. I don’t really like rejections.”
He placed the bags on her table and pulled a seat from another person’s table. “Have a seat and let’s eat. I’m sure you must be hungry after all the stress of today.”
Efe stared at him as he brought out the take-away packs of food and opened them. The once distant smell now potent and tantalizing her. She couldn’t believe he could do all this. Was it all about his ego taking a blow? Or was he genuinely interested in her?
“Seat down and let’s eat. I want to know more about you. Let’s call this the first of more dates to come.” He smiled. That gorgeous smile that made her want to forget everything about Daniel and the pricking of her heart.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by CasNova: 4:57pm On Dec 26, 2019
Nice story. Following.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 10:31pm On Dec 26, 2019
Chapter Two

Pamela took a seat on the worn-out three-sitter and tucked her legs underneath her. She opened the plastic bowl and devoured the chopped fruits inside. The pineapple already acidic and rubbing off its taste on the others. She ate what she could, tossed the bowl on the centre table and gulped down a bottle of cold water. She stretched and a yawn escaped her lips. She was beyond exhausted.
Gosh, I wish Efe was here. She would make something to eat.
The little meal didn’t do justice to quenching her hunger, and what she felt like was burger and French-fries with a smoothie. But then any junk-food she took would make her work extra hard at her dream and she wasn’t ready for any unnecessary stress.
Especially with her serving in a company that took most of her time and energy.
She picked up her phone and checked updates on BBM and Instagram. There was a couple trending on Instagram for the last couple of months. A pastor and his cheating wife. Pamela searched out the wife’s handle and went through her posts. Their love story was so touching to Pamela. The love the man had for his wife was so rare and out of this world; forgiving his wife even after she committed adultery. She couldn’t really imagine how it would be for a man to love and tolerate so much. It seemed true only in movies or overly dramatic Mexican soaps.
Would she ever find someone like that in this life? She didn’t have such an example in her parents; they made getting married look like a nightmare!
Pamela didn't want to think about it. It only made her annoyed and moody. Even till the point where she wasn’t too bothered about being in a relationship or not. A relationship wasn’t the most important thing in her life. She just wanted to be successful; make a name for herself among the elites.
She wanted to be invited to launches and functions and her photograph taken and placed in top magazines and newspapers. She also wanted to own her own modelling agency in the distant future. She had big dreams. It could only happen if she kept aside what everyone else expected and wanted for her and all the troubles she currently faced in her life. None of which she wanted to think about at that moment.
Her friend, Feyi, was supposed to call her about a certain opportunity that came up. An opportunity to model for a popular fashion designer doing a photo-shoot of recent designs sometime next month. The thought of it excited her and she could hardly wait. If she got the deal it could make her big in no time. She could already imagine doing catwalks on runways and her face on billboards and magazines. Her father would have no cause to look down on her.
Her phone rang and she picked it up when she saw the caller ID.
“Hello.”
“Pam, you have to take a cab right now and head over to Flow’s studio.”
“Where’s that?”
Feyi rattled off the address. “Come quickly and put on something sexy and wear push-up bra as well. Something exciting.”
In other-words dress like a prostitute? Pamela got off to her feet. “I yaf heard. I would be there soon. Thanks.”
She hurried off to the room and picked out an outfit she knew made her look hot and model material, and a bra she had recently bought and changed her underwear as well. She dressed up then sprayed perfume at different spots of her body. Pamela took one last look at the mirror and admired herself.
She was set to go.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2019

He staggered to his bed. Work had been hectic and he was too tired to head to the kitchen and cook. He was supposed to pick up Ulunma from his parent’s house but he wasn’t ready for another confrontation with his father. The last time he’d been there was disastrous with his father insulting him. He shook his head and took off his shoes. Not this night. He would pick his daughter up tomorrow morning.
Daniel took off his jacket and tie and tossed it on a nearby chair but it fell to the floor. He didn't bother to pick it up. He got off his trousers and did the same thing to it.
He didn’t qualify himself as drunk. He just had too many to drink and had a massive headache. Of course, he couldn’t continue living his life this way. He was just tired of how things seemed to be going downhill and all because of what? He couldn’t get a grip on himself. His mother was worried about him and she had voiced out her worries over the phone when he called to say he wasn’t picking Ulunma up. She needn’t worry. She just had to pray Adesewa gave him another chance.
It was eleven in the morning when Daniel finally got out of his apartment. The sight of Ulunma playing with a toy on the floor brought joy to him. It annoyed him that every-time he glanced at her he remembered Efe. Is that part of the reason why I delay in picking her? He hoped not. His daughter had nothing to do with what was happening between him and Efe.
“Oh! So he finally decides to come.” His father clapped for him loudly and Ulunma looked up at her grandfather as he walked out. Her toy temporarily forgotten.
Daniel grated his teeth. He wondered where his mother was.
“Good morning, dad.”
“What is so good about the morning? Seeing your disgraceful self?”
Daniel didn’t have anything to say and it seemed to infuriate his father the more.
“I’m talking to you!”
“Dad, what do you want me to say? I’ve listened to you insult me over and over again. I don’t have anything to say to you because if I do it would be considered as rude!”
“Talk nau! I want you to talk. Shebi you do whatever you like these days; You drink yourself to stupor and behave stupid! Like you don’t have parents that trained you up right. You need someone to talk sense to you but then you’re too thick-headed to listen! You behave like you know all things of which you don’t.”
Daniel let out an exasperated sigh. “Dad, please. I only came to pick my daughter up and I would be on my way. Please let's not argue Aren’t you tired of it all?”
His father was closer to him now. “I'm tired of seeing your face. As you’re taking Ulunma now, don’t come back to this house. You are banned from showing your face her. I love my grand-daughter and so I would have preferred she stay here until you get your act together. You can make that decision and bring her back, but as for you stay away. I never want to see you again until you come to your senses.”

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 10:03am On Dec 27, 2019
As she cooked she remembered how the evening played out with her boss the other day. She had been annoyed at the manner at which he carried out his plan. She had every mind to pick up her bags and leave him with his expensive food and his arrogant attitude, and so she did. With her belongings in hand she walked out on him and took quick steps to the elevator. She didn’t care what the consequences would be. She was sick and tired of being walked on and treated as if she was nothing.
She didn’t get on the elevator as he grabbed her arm and spun her around to look at him. His eyes intensely dark and his lips slightly pink. She snapped her eyes away from them and yanked her hand off him before she was pulled to do she added to the long list of things she regretted.
“Efe, what’s the problem?”
“I want to go home!”
“What about the food I brought for the both of us? You want it to go to waste?”
Efe scoffed. “Did I ask you to buy anything for me?”
“No, but I thought you would need it since you had such a long day and I want to spend more time with you.”
“Whose fault is it that I had a long day? You purposely made me go through all that stress so you could meet your selfish needs!” Efe realized she might be crossing the line talking to her boss in such manner, but he had to understand she wasn’t one of those girls he could use and throw away when he was done. She wasn't even available to be used in the first place!
“Efe, please calm down. Okay, I’m sorry I did what I did. I’m sorry I let you go through a lot of stress today so I could delay you in the office while I went to get something for us to eat. I’m sorry I had to stand in a loooonnng queue just to get this meal. I’m sorry I almost had an accident because I was rushing to meet you so you wouldn’t leave. I did all that 'cause I care about you and don't want to see you sad. Please, forgive me.”
Did he almost have an accident while rushing to meet me? Does that mean he really cares? But even if he went through all that stress it doesn't make what he did justifiable!
Efe pushed him aside and grudgingly went to her table as he followed her. She couldn’t see the smile on his face ‘cause she was backing him. She looked at all the contents, took what she wanted and placed it in a nylon bag.
“Thanks for the food. I would eat mine at home.”
She didn’t miss the smile on his face drop. “But that’s not the arrangement.”
It was her turn to smile. “Sorry, but now it is. Good night, sir.”
She had walked away, proud to be able to place the stunned look on his handsome face. She was done with waiting on a man. If Daniel, or any other man, wanted her he would have to work hard to get her.
As it was obvious Daniel wanted nothing more to do with her.
He had hardly called her during the past months. She had called him a few times to ask how he was doing, and all the occasions she called he didn’t sound interested in talking to her.
Efe turned off the camp gas and lifted the small pot to the kitchen counter. Lately, she had a craving for Calabar dishes, having tasted a few in a joint not far from the apartment and she had bonded with the owner of the place who shared the recipe of Ekpang Nkukwo, an amazing dish of grated coco-yam in spinach leaves with periwinkles, crayfish and all sorts.
This is what Daniel is missing . . . I would have loved to make this for him. . .
She drove away the thoughts. It didn’t matter. She was moving on with her life. The pains of the past needed to be let go. Amanze’s handsome face came to mind almost immediately she made that decision and she shook her head. What was wrong with her? She wasn’t going to fall for him. She needed to pick up the pieces of her that were broken and get her life in order.
“God, I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m hurt and tired of everything. Tired of loving Daniel. Tired of waiting for him. Just let me be.”
Efe didn’t wait for a reply, neither was she expecting one. She carried her food to her room and opened her laptop. She was going to eat and watch a movie or two, call her daughter, sleep and read her bible later on. The day was already planned out and she would enjoy it as best as she could.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:46am On Dec 27, 2019

All his life he had lived like a prince, being the only child of his parents. Two women that brought him up to be who he was; his mother and his grandmother. The two most important people in his life that had taught him to stand up for what he wanted in life and he could be whoever he wanted to be as long as he worked hard for it.
He had worked hard all the way from primary school till university having won a scholarship when his mother couldn’t afford to pay his school fees when she was retrenched from her job. He had to struggle with a side job and trying to keep up with school. But life smiled upon him. He was able to achieve certain things and got himself into the company through a few connections.
As for his love-life, a few ladies, whenever they got to hear of his background, thought him to be a ladies’ man or ‘woman wrapper’. He didn’t care about all that. He had learnt where to place them so there wasn’t any conflict. But still his love life was non-existent.
The afternoon breeze brought in a heat that grazed his cheek and snapped him back to reality where he was seated at the verandah of his mother’s house with his grand-mother.
Amanze rubbed his hand over his face and sighed.
“Why are you worried young boy?”
He smiled at the usage of the words ‘young boy’. “Who said I am?”
“Because I know you.”
He smiled at his grandmother.
“I know you do. I’m just thinking about my life-”
“And finally settling down? That’s very important, Amanze. Why won’t you just settle down with that girl?”
Amanze wasn’t in the mood to talk about her. “Mama there’s someone else that may have caught my attention and I’m sure you would like her as well.”
His grandmother smiled. “Wonderful. This is good news. Who is she? The daughter of one of your mother’s friends? Is it Cynthia or Veronica?”
He shook his head and laughed in his mind at how much their names and personality were similar. Some of them were just women that wanted to climb the social ladder and suck him dry of all his hard earned money. He wasn’t going to fall for that.
“No, mama. You don’t know her. It’s sort of complicated. She has a lot going on for her now and I don’t know how to help out. I’ve tried getting close to her but it’s like the closer I get the more she wants to run away.”
“Amanze when would you learn? Does a flower blossom in a closed place or in an open environment?”
“Mama I can argue for both being possible . . .”
She clucked her tongue. “Don’t be smart with me. If you put a flower in the palm of your hands and close it, would the flower survive?”
“Err - no.”
“So let her be. Don’t kill her with you chasing her too much. Give her time. Be a friend and understand her. You would win her heart in no time.”
“But I feel like calling and asking how she is doing . . . I think I messed up on Friday.”
His grandmother chuckled. “I see you really like this girl . . . What did you do to her?”
Amanze went on to explain everything that happened and how she walked out on him and too the food she wanted. He had his dinner at his home all by himself.
“I like that girl. After all the stress you put her through why wouldn’t she be angry?” She threw an insult at him in Calabar. “You have grown up with your mother and I and yet you still behave as if you haven’t learnt anything! I would have knocked your head if not that the arthritis has affected my hand too much.”
He frowned. He hated to hear his grandmother was in pain. “Mama, have you been taking your medications?”
“Amanze, did you brush your teeth this morning?”
He sighed. “Sorry for asking.”
She smacked her thigh and leaned close to him. “Now let me tell you what you can do for that girl you have hurt.”
He smiled as he listened to his grandmother.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:46am On Dec 27, 2019
Is anyone here?

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by drewsman: 4:21pm On Dec 27, 2019
Very much here.
All I can say to this story is a big "WOW".
Waiting to see what will become of Amanze and Efe

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by drewsman: 4:25pm On Dec 27, 2019
TopeOmotosho:
Is anyone here?

With many unfinished stories on nairaland these days, don't expect people to just rush new stories like that.

Just be encouraged, continue your thing and with time the comments will flow in.

I just saw this story today, I believe others will also see it with time. With consistent updates, you will get the audience u deserve.

More data to you device, more ink to your pen.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 10:00am On Dec 28, 2019

“Take your clothes off.”
Pamela looked at the guy holding the camera like he had said he was a man who liked to wear make-up, ‘cause what he said was insane. “What?!”
He didn’t look up from his camera as he said again, “Take. Your. Clothes. Off.” He repeated.
She didn’t know what irked her more; the way he spoke to her as if she was a child or the ridiculous thing he wanted her to do. They had spent that last thirty-minutes taking pictures of her and from his facial expression she knew things weren’t going so well.
But now this?
“B-but what does taking my clothes off have anything to do with taking photo-shoots or head-shots?” Where is Feyi sef? She should come and save me from this man!
Rex, the guy in question, dropped his camera and walked over to a high-table and placed it there. If he drops his camera ehn . . . You better start begging because you have vexed him and he has lost interest in you, Feyi’s voice had whispered to her before she went into the studio.
“Why are you dropping your camera? Did I do something wrong?”
He didn’t answer her. He looked bored, irritated and tired. He took his seat on a stool and looked at her. “You obviously know little about modelling. Listen up newbie, your dressing isn’t the most important thing to me when taking your head-shots. I don’t need to look at your,” he gestured at her, “fancy jewellery or your bum-shorts or high-heels or your fancy lacy bra or whatever else you are wearing there.”
Pamela gasped. How does he know the type of bra I’m wearing?
“What I need is your attitude. Be confident. Be free. Let me see you and not what you’re wearing. Express yourself. I actually need you to remove your jacket and not your entire clothes so I can get a picture of you. You want someone to say your dressing looks good or you rock at selling yourself?”
She nodded. “I understand.” She made to take off her jacket but he stopped her.
“I’m done for the day. You can come back when I’m in Calabar again.”
“When would that be?”
“Next three weeks,” he said.
She felt her heart sink to her stomach.
“By that time the photo-shoot for the magazine would be done.”
“Yup.”
“Please, I’m really sorry I took much of your time. I promise not to disappoint again.”
He shook his head. “Babe, I have a flight to Lagos to catch in the next two hours. I don’t have time to waste.”
Tears filled her eyes. She bit her lip and looked down at her feet. She could hear her father tell her she was never going to succeed in life and her mother pleading with him to stop. She knew she couldn’t afford to fail. The only thing that came to mind to salvage her current situation was something she had never done before. She knew he was watching her and affirmed it when she looked up at him and with as much courage she could summon up, she asked, “I-If I buy your time in another way, would it be possible?”
Rex raised his brow at her.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 2:44pm On Dec 28, 2019

Adesewa closed her laptop and turned on her phone. As usual, whenever she had work to get done she had to put it on silence or switch off. Ever since she started processing KENZEL, her auditing and consulting company, she had been swamped with work. Three months ago she realized she couldn’t do it all on her own and had partnered with a foreign affiliate in Ghana who had been a client of hers back at her old job.
She was shocked when the man heard word of her leaving the company and was interested in partnering with her. She hated the idea of having someone have co-ownership of her company but she had no choice. And it didn’t help that she had a nagging feeling about the whole thing. She thought it was probably because she had a disliking for partnering with someone else and not having sole ownership of her company that she felt that way. Either ways, it seemed everything was going to turn out well. God had been good to her in more ways than she expected.
Her partner, Kobina, was a cool-headed guy but judging by his skill in business he also seemed like he had gone through a lot in his life. He had that mysterious air around him that made one curious enough to ponder on and cautious enough to retreat. Adesewa wasn’t too sure how to place him yet. Nevertheless, he was a crude business partner. The company would be opening in two weeks time and there were still a lot to get done.
Adesewa got up from her chair and stretched her arms. The sounds of incoming messages filled her medium-sized office and she picked up her phone and went through them. Emails and Instagram notifications. Random messages and broadcasts. Her eye caught-on to a message from Ebuka and she tapped it.

As usual your phone is off. I figure you’re busy. Hope you’re doing okay from the last time you were over. Please let me know if Daniel tries anything like that with you again. Also, don’t be a stranger. smiley
P.S I miss you.

She smiled.
Things didn’t work out between her and Ebuka and they had decided to remain friends; getting closer by the day. He couldn’t keep up with her world as he said, 'but I know one day I will; nothing is written in stone'. It was fine by her. She hadn’t also been comfortable with their relationship and didn't want to force something that was not. Being single wasn’t the worst thing in life, unlike what other people her age would probably think.
She had a whole lot ahead of her and had to stay focus even as she worked on her relationship with God. Unfortunately, her parents didn’t share the same logic with her. They were now on her case to settle down.
“Adesewa Omo Shonibare, life doesn’t wait for you while you achieve your dreams. You need to factor in a husband now.” Her mother had said to her two days ago, as that was the second time in a week she had mentioned it.
“I know.”
“What happened to that other boy you liked? All of a sudden we stopped hearing about him.”
“Things didn’t work out between us.”
Her had mum snorted. “And so? Is it so bad that you can’t patch things up? You children of nowadays. . . You are waiting for a perfect man that does not exist. Look at your father, is he perfect?”
“Ah! In every sense of the way!” Her father had yelled in the background and caused Adesewa to chuckle.
“Mum, he’s married now. There’s nothing to patch up.”
“Oh. That’s a shame. And I liked him o. So what’s the plan now?”
Adesewa was getting tired of the conversation and feigned a yawn to wrap it up. “God will do it, mummy.”
“Amen. I see you’re tired. We would talk later dear. Love you. Your dad sends his love as well.”
“Love you both too.”
Adesewa couldn’t tell her mother Zainab was getting married in a matter of weeks. It would only make her mother make camp on her matter. Marriage wasn’t everything. Adesewa’s thoughts drifted off Efe. A thought brewing within. It had been on her mind for a while now but she didn’t want to interfere in their marriage. She had done so enough times and felt partly at fault for what had happened between Daniel and Efe.
If only I had stayed away from the wedding none of this would be happening.
“Married men are off limits!” She said.
“Oh really? I think it depends on the context.”
Adesewa spun around to see her partner standing at her door. Looking impressive and handsome in his light brown, double-breasted suit.

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by drewsman: 7:01pm On Dec 28, 2019
Keep up the good work

Thanks for the updates
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:37pm On Dec 28, 2019
“I didn’t know you were around. It’s wrong to eavesdrop on a conversation.”
He raised one of his bushy brows. “Talking to yourself doesn’t count as a conversation.” With one hand in his pocket and another holding a file, Kobina walked into her office and took a seat.
Adesewa remained standing. “How may I help you? It's really a surprise to see you here. Thought you wouldn't be around till next week.”
“I just happened to be in Nigeria and wanted to check on the company and see how it’s going.”
Just happened to be in Nigeria? Indeed. “It’s fine.”
“I can see that. Actually, I didn’t just happen to be in Nigeria.”
Okay? Confession?
“I want to take you out for lunch. Would you be available?”
She didn’t know how to respond. He had come all the way from Ghana just to take her out for dinner? The first time she had met him she never saw him to be the romantic type. Neither did she see him as one who took his head out of business so long to be interested in a woman.
She took her seat and crossed her legs at her knees. “Kobina I’m flattered at your - er - kind gesture, but I have to remind you that what we have between us is strictly business and nothing to do with pleasure.”
He nodded and unbuttoned his Navy suit. “Yes, I know that. But all work and no play makes Ade-shey-wa a dull girl and of no use to the company. It is my duty as your partner to make sure you’re fit and ready for this journey we’re embarking on.”
Adesewa looked at him incredulously and burst out in laughter.
“Okay, I have probably embarrassed myself now. I should take my leave.” He made to get up but she stopped him.
She waved her hand for him to stop. “I actually need a break. We can go out in the next one hour if that’s okay with you.”
He smiled. A dazzling smile that made her get a glimpse of his cream coloured, but perfect, dentition. “It’s okay by me.”
As she worked on clearing her desk of the work of the day she hoped she wasn’t making a mistake. It’s just a casual dinner Lord. He’s a business partner. Nothing can happen right?

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 1:59am On Dec 29, 2019
Interesting, well done OP

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 11:58am On Dec 29, 2019
Chapter Three

Efe scrolled through Funlola’s pictures on Instagram of her and Uncle John, smiling at all the cute things Funlola said about her husband.
“My second love after God.”
“Sweetest boo ever!”
“My sugar hun! Kisses luv”
Few minutes back she posted another picture of her husband holding a microphone and addressing a couple of people. At this she typed out, That’s my man being a servant of God and preaching the good news. What’s better than a man who’s sold out for God?! Nothing! Be with a man who loves God more than you.
It was clear; the Funlola they all knew in the past had changed and was still in the process of more changes. It was also obvious that she was enjoying married life compared to before, when she cheated on her husband.
Efe felt a tinge of jealousy at her new friend. She wished it were her and Daniel having such wonderful moments together and serving God. Efe sighed. She was tired of thinking about Daniel from one minute to the other.
To take her mind off things Efe picked up her phone and dialled Funlola’s number. It had been a while they spoke. She was always cheerful and made her happy when everything in her life seemed dull.
What about me?
The question came out of nowhere but Efe didn’t give any answer.
“Hey dear!” Funlola screamed over the phone when she finally picked after three rings.
Efe smiled. “Hi Funlola. How are you doing? How’s Uncle John?”
“I’m good babes, he’s fine too. Thank God. What about you? How’s Calabar?”
Efe played with a thread sticking out of her blouse. When she had first arrived at Calabar she had spent most of her days crying and keeping to herself over the pain she had been through, but then meeting Pamela changed everything. She didn’t give Efe much of a choice than to socialize.
“It’s fine. Meeting new people . . . Trying to make friends.”
“That’s good. You shouldn’t be all alone feeling sorry for yourself. How are you holding up sweetie?”
Efe Sighed. She knew what Funlola was asking about and thought of the best way to reply without bursting out in tears. “I’m trying to move on. Trying to be strong. Honestly, I’m done waiting around for him. I’ve done that for too many years and now I want to move forward.”
“I get you, Hun. It’s all going to be fine. PJ tries to talk to him once in a while but . . . He’s not budging yet. He looks terrible these days.”
Efe frowned. Terrible? “What do you mean?”
“He just needs someone around to take care of him and he needs to get over his obsession with a woman that does not love him again. When last did you guys talk?”
“It’s been weeks . . .”
“Oh wow, alright then. We will keep praying for him to see the light and come back to his senses. He’s just behaving very stupid.” She cleared her throat. “Pardon my language. . . So asides that what else is happening with you?”
Efe told her about Amanze and all that transpired between them. When she first started working in the company he gave her a hard time but gradually he started warming up to her just out of the blue. He had asked her out severally of which she kept refusing. She didn’t see herself being with another man at the time being. But things changed between the both of them when they bumped into each other at a super-market and he had offered to take her home. They shared a kiss that could have turned to more when she had shakily forced him out of the house; thankfully Pamela wasn’t there to witness it. Thankfully, Efe had enough sense to stop before her fleshly desires took over.
Efe also mentioned what had happened the other evening with the Chinese food.
“Oh wow. It seems this guy is determined to sweep you off your feet . . . And Daniel is there dulling and falling for Adesewa.” She hissed. “Rubbish! Anyway, how do you feel about this Amanze guy? His name sef sounds hot, it’s good. It should give Daniel sense to know he has competition.”
Efe chuckled but then stopped. For a minute she wondered if Funlola could go back to her old ways but she tossed the thought aside and shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m not ready to start up anything new. He already knows Daniel and I are separated but right now? I’m not interested in any guy at the moment.”
“Hmm. . . This is getting interesting. Sis, just take it easy. It’s too soon to move on to another guy. You still love Daniel right?”
Efe stayed silent for a few seconds. Unsure of her answer.
“Efe? Are you there?”
“Yes, I’m here.”
“Do you still love Daniel?”
Efe felt tears gather in her eyes at the sad realization. “I don’t know. . .”

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 2:36pm On Dec 29, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 5:24pm On Dec 29, 2019
Thanks for the encouragement. smiley
drewsman:

With many unfinished stories on nairaland these days, don't expect people to just rush new stories like that.

Just be encouraged, continue your thing and with time the comments will flow in.

I just saw this story today, I believe others will also see it with time. With consistent updates, you will get the audience u deserve.

More data to you device, more ink to your pen.
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by drewsman: 7:41pm On Dec 29, 2019
TopeOmotosho:
Thanks for the encouragement. smiley

U r welcome, just prove to people that u won't just "shoot and run". Then you'll get the followership u deserve
Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 8:33pm On Dec 29, 2019

He didn’t know what it was about Efe that pulled him to her but he knew he didn’t want to stop pursuing her even if each time it seemed his efforts were in vain. He liked her and he was willing to pursue her. His grandmother’s advice was under-works. He left Efe alone throughout the weekend and on Monday. He was strictly professional with her and he could tell that his actions confused her ‘cause she kept looking at him when she thought he wasn’t looking.
He smiled to himself; it was all part of a strategy. He was going to back off a little and not hound her. Like his grandmother had advised, she was going through a hard time (though his grandmother didn’t have the full details) and needed love and support.
A knock on his door disrupted his thoughts. “Yes, come in.”
The door opened and the woman on his mind walked in. He studied her for the briefest of moments as she walked towards him. Her countenance showed how sad she was. He was tempted to ask what was wrong with her but he kept his mouth shut. “Efe, how can I help you?”
“There were some files I saw on my desk in the morning and I wasn’t exactly sure what to do with them.”
“What files?” He stretched out his hand and she handed him the files. He went through them. A frown crossed his features. It was the files of the upcoming Annual Ball coming up at the end of the year and he had been given the responsibility that year to organize the event. It was going to be a hectic one and he had to pull it off. He had to show some of his colleagues who looked down on him, and were waiting for his downfall, that he could make things happen. But obviously they were already set to sabotage him.
“When did you get this?”
“I didn’t notice it on my table when I came in this morning and I got swamped with work and forgot to pass it to you. It was in the not too urgent files and I didn’t know. Did I do something wrong?”
He raised a brow. “Why do you ask?”
“Because you have a frown on your face.”
He tossed the files on his table and cleaned the sides of his mouth. “Thanks for the files.”
“You’re welcome.”
She turned to leave but he couldn’t shake off the sadness on her face. Amanze rolled his eyes. He didn’t want to interfere but . . .
“Efe wait.”
She stopped in her tracks and turned to meet him. “Yes sir? You need something?”
Yes, I need you to stop giving me a hard time and give me a chance to show you how much I care. “What’s wrong? I could tell from when you came into my office that there’s something up with you.”
She hugged herself and shook her head. “I’m fine, sir. There’s nothing wrong.”
“You sure? Look, I’m not just some guy trying to jump you. I really care and I’ve tried to show you that . . . Though sometimes I can be a pain. I’ve respected your wishes but I won’t stand back when I see you looking down and defeated.” He got up from his black leather seat and walked towards her but stopped when she stepped back.
“Don’t worry I’m not coming to steal a kiss from you; no matter how much I want to.”

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2019
Awwwnn Amanze is a darling...

2 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by drewsman: 10:28pm On Dec 29, 2019
Ann2012:
Awwwnn Amanze is a darling...

Darling ke?

Abeg let him stay in his lane, Efe is going back to Daniel. I want them to be back together

3 Likes

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 9:49am On Dec 30, 2019
Her look said she didn’t believe him. “I’m fine. Just stressed.”
“Is the work too much? Or is it emotional stress?”
She rubbed her forehead. “I don’t want to talk about it. Please, I have a lot to do. Can I go back to work?”
He tried not to be defeated as he gave her the go ahead to leave. Once she was out of his office and he settled back on his seat he thought of what he could do to make Efe happy. He hated seeing her that way.
He picked up his phone and dialled one of the secretaries in the office. He got her number just in-case he needed her help. As it turned out, he did. Minutes later Pamela walked into his office.
“You wanted to see me sir?”
“Yes, Pamela. Please have a seat.”
“What can you tell me about your friend Efe?”
She raised her brow. “Efe? What do you mean sir?”
“She’s been looking gloomy these couple of days and I don’t understand. It’s affecting her job and I won’t stand for such here.” He couldn’t afford to tell her the real reason he wanted info on her friend. It would just lead to more office gossip and he already had enough of that in his past.
“Well, I know she’s a bit down because of her husband and not being able to see her daughter -”
“She has a daughter?”
Pamela bobbed her head up and down. “And she’s staying with her father while they are separated and Efe hasn’t seen her in months. I don’t know the details but I think the real issue is what her husband did to her. He cheated on her with another woman on their wedding day and he kept on with the relationship till recently. Anyhow sha. Sir, please don’t get annoyed with her. I would talk to her -”
Amanze shook his head. “No, you don’t have to. I - er - understand. I won’t be harsh on her since you explained this to me, but let’s keep this conversation confidential. Thanks.”
Pamela took that as her cue to leave the office. As soon as she left Amanze rested his back on his chair in deep thought. So that’s why she feels the way she does. He would have to think of a way to help her out, but first he had to deal with the files in front of him.

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 12:00pm On Dec 30, 2019

Pamela tried to finish the work on her table but frenetic thoughts ran through her mind. Thoughts of what had happened back at Flow’s studio. She felt stupid as she thought back to what she had used to get the photo-shoot she wanted; giving her body to a complete stranger! It may just as well be the craziest thing she had done in her life. But then it was a step closer to her dreams.
That thought kept her going so she didn’t breakdown and berate herself. Feyi had congratulated her on thinking on her feet; Pamela had felt like slapping her big mouth. Feyi had shrugged an apology her way when Pamela threw an angry look at her. She repented and said she would pay her a visit on Tuesday evening with goodies. Pamela could care less. The only important thing were the pictures.
Despite it all, she was excited to see the pictures. She had even browsed up Rex Mfon on the internet and seen some of his works. But instead of focusing more on his works she found herself undressing him and remembering how the other evening had been.
“What did you say?”
She shifted from one foot to another. “I asked if I could buy your time in another way.”
“Interesting. So you would sleep with me just because you want me to take your pictures?”
Pamela wasn’t sure if he wanted her to answer him. Instead, she looked at him with a blank look on her face.
He got off the stool and strolled towards her in a casual manner. When he was merely a few inches away from her he looked her up and down and pulled her to him. She placed her hand on his chest, shaken from the sudden action.
“Are you sure you want to do this?”
Was she sure? No, she wasn’t. But she was sure she wanted to make it in the modelling world and so she nodded. The rest was history as he kissed her . . .
“Pamela.”
Pamela jerked the mouse away and looked up to see Efe looking down at her. “What?”
“Err- sorry to disturb you. Do you have extra sanitary towel with you? I forgot to bring some to work with me.”
Pamela chuckled as she pulled open her drawer and wrapped two pads in an A4 paper. She handed it to Efe as her face relaxed to a smile. “Take. Next time don’t forget something like that.”
“Yes, mummy.”
“You’re welcome, baby.”
As Efe laughed and walked away, Pamela thought about her new friend. She was a kind-hearted girl but then looked like she had been bruised too many times in her life. Pamela didn’t know much about Efe, but she knew she was married and separated. According to Efe, her husband was in love with another woman. Stupid man! Pamela gave a low hiss.
Efe has to give herself another chance at love and forget her so called husband!
She heard Efe at night sometimes, when she would cry herself to sleep. It was pathetic, but then when a woman was in love and heartbroken it could be a serious matter. Pamela focused more on her work until she got a text that scattered her whole mood.

Pictures didn’t turn out as I wanted them to. Would be around next Thursday. Meet me @ 5pm at the studio and let’s shoot it again.
REX.

She hissed and said a little too loudly, “What kind of rubbish is this?!”
Her outburst earned her a few stares. She dropped the phone on the table, contemplating if she would go or not and what happened to the pictures he took. Or was it just him looking for another opportunity to bed her? If that was his plan he would get what was coming to him!

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by Ann2012(f): 12:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho by TopeOmotosho(f): 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2019
Flowers. Dresses. Aso-ebi. Cake. Honey-moon. I.K. It was like a list going off in her head and making her distressed. She wanted everything to just happen all of a sudden without the stress she was going through. The idea of having a wedding planner do all the work was far more appealing. She was going to ask around for one as soon as she got off the bed. That was if she managed to get up in the next three hours.
Her body ached from the gruelling sessions of make-up training she had done over the past week. The students giving her a hard time and she wondered if some were colour blind. Her mind drifted back to the colours for her wedding; black, pale green and white. Should Eghosa be at the wedding? Her newly found father that had been absent from her life for the past twenty-plus years. I.K would want him there . . . They both seem to be getting along fine with each-other.
The door cracked open and she heard feet across the floor then a heavy weight on the bed. She felt little kisses on her shoulder-blade and on her neck. She shifted her body away from the kisses, the distraction was not welcome.
“Baby,” he whispered into her ear.
“Hmm?” Zainab snuggled closer to her pillow and pulled some of the cover-cloth with her. “Leave me alone.”
“There’s someone here to see you.”
“Tell whoever it is to get lost.”
“Sonia.”
Her eyes snapped open immediately and she sat up on the bed, hitting I.K in the face with her elbow in the process.
He shouted.
She turned to look at the damage she might have done. He held on to his nose and finally freed it to check for any signs of bleeding. “Sorry about that. What does she want?”
“Thank God you didn’t break my nose or cause any injury. God should have made you a man with all this your tough-tough nature.”
Zainab ignored his remark and pushed the covers away from her body. “Do you know why Sonia is here?”
“She didn’t say. Just said she needed to see you. Told her you were asleep but it sounded urgent.”
She got off the bed and walked out of the room. Her steps determined. She found Sonia looking at the photos hanging on the wall. One was sure to be an eye-catcher. It was a picture of Zainab and I.K taken at a garden . . . Heads almost touching as they stared into each-other’s eyes, looking so in love. Sometimes when Zainab looked at the picture she was awestruck at how much love she felt for him and him for her. It might not be a crazy love she felt for him, but it was something. She looked away from the portrait and called Sonia’s attention by throwing a question at her.
“What do you want?”
Sonia spun around and Zainab was enthralled/taken aback by her beauty like she was most times when she saw her. Her flawless skin that needed no make-up. When they were children playing around with make-up and painting each-other’s faces, no amount of make-up could cover up her multiple pimples. Things were different now that she had gotten into money.
“Ouch. Is that how to talk to me? What did I do to you, Zee?”
Zainab walked further into the room until they were merely inches apart. “You shouldn’t be coming here anyhow without any notice! What’s wrong with you?”
“Nothing is wrong with me. You make it sound like I have a problem or something and I don’t like it.”
Sonia stepped to close the gap between them. “You haven’t come to see me in a while and I was worried about you. I thought you would be elated that I was back in town.”
Zainab took a seat on a nearby couch and dragged Sonia down with her. Then she whispered, “You know I have been busy with the wedding.”
“A wedding you would regret.”
“Is that why you came here? ‘Cause honestly I don’t have time for this.”
“Zainab, we need to talk.”
“Talk about you dissuading me from getting married? I think not.”
Sonia sighed.
“If you get married does it stop us from getting together? Haven’t you missed me all this while?”
Zainab shook her head. “Whether I missed you or not isn’t important. Not with what you did the last time. You lied to me Sonia.”
“Zainab it was -”
“Hey ladies!” I.K came into the living-room and took a seat; bringing an end to their conversation. “Sonia it was a surprise to see you standing at the door. Zainab told me you weren’t returning to the country any time soon.”
Sonia looked at Zainab with a smug look on her face. “I can understand why Zainab would say that. She’s upset with me and doesn’t want me to be a part of her wedding. She hasn’t even told me the date.”
I.K turned his attention to Zainab with a raised eye-brow, asking what happened between them.
Zainab ignored him and walked out of the room.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alice Munro Wins The 2013 Nobel Prize For Literature / St. Janet Poetic Yoruba Lyrics / Purified Tomorrow: The Mad Awakening (A Science Fiction) By Akinjide Akintayo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.