Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,703 members, 7,813,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? (2271 Views)

How you can process doctor's report for tinted glass / Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? / How To Get Doctor's Report For Tinted Glass (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by JustCryptos: 7:46am On Dec 27, 2019
Hello Nairalanders, good morning and happy holidays.

Please I need a quick clarification on the issue of having a police report for a vehicle.

I traveled with my family yesterday and was stopped at a checkpoint. The police office asked me to park by the side and requested for a police report for my vehicle. I have all my papers valid until July 2020 - Vehicle License, Road worthiness, Insurance, Proof of Ownership, and my driver's license. These are the documents I know the police ask for. In over 6 years of driving, I have never heard of a police report.

I was furious and asked the officer if he knows what he was suppose to check. He got angry and insulted me, calling me a monkey, and then walked away.

Well, I made some calls and parted with 1k. According to him, I disrespected him for questioning him and putting my hands in my pocket.

The location is Elele, Rivers State. It didn't occur to me to capture his information.

So my question is, what is a police report for a vehicle? Is there any paper like that? I have plans to pass that region again and this time I will such incidents. Thanks.

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by rtdCivilservant: 8:37am On Dec 27, 2019
JustCryptos:
Hello Nairalanders, good morning and happy holidays.

Please I need a quick clarification on the issue of having a police report for a vehicle.

I traveled with my family yesterday and was stopped at a checkpoint. The police office asked me to park by the side and requested for a police report for my vehicle. I have all my papers valid until July 2020 - Vehicle License, Road worthiness, Insurance, Proof of Ownership, and my driver's license. These are the documents I know the police ask for. In over 6 years of driving, I have never heard of a police report.

I was furious and asked the officer if he knows what he was suppose to check. He got angry and insulted me, calling me a monkey, and then walked away.

Well, I made some calls and parted with 1k. According to him, I disrespected him for questioning him and putting my hands in my pocket.

The location is Elele, Rivers State. It didn't occur to me to capture his information.

So my question is, what is a police report for a vehicle? Is there any paper like that? I have plans to pass that region again and this time I will such incidents. Thanks.

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala
Yes there is, especially for a fairly used/tokunbo card.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by JustCryptos: 9:05am On Dec 27, 2019
rtdCivilservant:

Yes there is, especially for a fairly used/tokunbo card.

Really? How can I obtain it then and what's the cost? Thanks.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by xtivin2: 10:23am On Dec 27, 2019
For your own peace you have to get it once and for all, but in a sane climate your papers, insurance and valid driver license is okay. But most of our police are uneducated, you only need a police report when you buy your car third hand because second hand vehicles should have custom papers cleared and duty.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by Nobody: 11:46am On Dec 27, 2019
xtivin2:
For your own peace you have to get it once and for all, but in a sane climate your papers, insurance and valid driver license is okay. But most of our police are uneducated, you only need a police report when you buy your car third hand because second hand vehicles should have custom papers cleared and duty.
Nothing concern police and duty and no,you don't need any police report whatsoever.
Just that the police like to shoot people so you have to be very careful.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by rtdCivilservant: 12:47pm On Dec 27, 2019
JustCryptos:

Really? How can I obtain it then and what's the cost? Thanks.
Those agents that u go to for ur vehicle papers(license, road worthiness, e.t.c) can help u get it.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by xtivin2: 12:55pm On Dec 27, 2019
Logobenz:
Nothing concern police and duty and no,you don't need any police report whatsoever.
Just that the police like to shoot people so you have to be very careful.
Sir when you buy third hand from a person, you need to get a police extract to confirm it's not a stolen vehicle.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by JustCryptos: 1:14pm On Dec 27, 2019
It's not a third-hand vehicle. It is toks, bought from a car stand and I have Custom papers which I don't carry around.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by JustCryptos: 1:15pm On Dec 27, 2019
rtdCivilservant:

Those agents that u go to for ur vehicle papers(license, road worthiness, e.t.c) can help u get it.
Thanks. I will try to get it.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by JustCryptos: 1:17pm On Dec 27, 2019
xtivin2:

I have my custom papers but I don't carry it around.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 27, 2019
xtivin2:

Sir when you buy third hand from a person, you need to get a police extract to confirm it's not a stolen vehicle.
oh ok thank you.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by Day169: 2:14pm On Dec 27, 2019
JustCryptos:

Thanks. I will try to get it.
It's the sensible thing to do Bro!
It's a 'one-off' document, as long as the car's registered in your name.
It's also referred to I think, as the CMR document, supposed to be your evidence of your car's information in the Nigerian Police data base.
But you know how things work here, it also serves as the next meal ticket for the men of the force, when motorists do not have it.
Cheers!
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by JustCryptos: 2:34pm On Dec 27, 2019
Day169:

It's also referred to I think, as the CMR document, supposed to be your evidence of your car's information in the Nigerian Police data base.
But you know how things work here, it also serves as the next meal ticket for the men of the force, when motorists do not have it.
Cheers!

Thanks for the clarification. I will get it.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by seanfer(m): 3:27pm On Dec 27, 2019
Day169:

Cheers!

Please if Someone bought a Used Car form third party and there is ECMR paper in the name of the seller, does the new owner need to do police extract again?.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2019
There’s a police clearance document that should have been issued along with other documents when you first register your car if you buy it as new or foreign used. It doesn’t need renewal. As per the police , this document will put your vehicle into their database and it will enable them to retrieve your car when stolen lipsrsealed undecided.
This is different from police clearance that you must obtain when you buy a naija used car. To obtain this, you’ll need to get a sworn affidavit from the court that you’re now the rightful owner of the car. You’ll then take the affidavit and the receipts of purchase to any police station. It’ll be issued for you and it suppose free of charge.
The third document that bears police name is the tinted permit if your car has tinted glass wink.
Re: Is There Anything Like A Police Report For A Vehicle? by Day169: 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2019
seanfer:

Please if Someone bought a Used Car form third party and there is ECMR paper in the name of the seller, does the new owner need to do police extract again?.
Yes I believe that you need to.

(1) (Reply)

Accord 07 (DC) Repairs / Another Car Buyer Caught In Car Dealers Trap / Post the pic of the car You would Wish To Drive Down This Beautiful Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.