Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,548 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA (1651 Views)

Dinka, South Sudan: The Tallest People In Africa (Photos) / Can You Believe This is Nigeria? Travelling As A Single Nigerian Lady (Pics) / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by XoNaya: 1:40am On Dec 29, 2019
Hello everyone, great platform...

I’m a silent follower of this forum and my favorite is the travel section and I must say there is a wealth of information packed there..

Please I need help in getting clarification..

I’m a single mom trying to start a better life by going to USA on visiting visa with my daughter, , I am saving up money to be able to sustain for 6 months...

I can braid hair, makeup and sew...

My questions are

1. Please what state or city do you suggest I stay for affordability and building clientele.

2. How do I go about renting a shared apartment with a visiting visa that can take me even when my visa expires if I’m not ‘married ‘ before then?

3 . Please any idea on how to reach potential clients with out putting myself out to be caught by immigration and deported.

4 . Please how can I get some one to get married to and what is the cost?

5. Please is there anyone willing to serve as a guide in USA, I promise I won’t be a liability, my daughters life is not safe in Nigeria because of the circumstances surrounding her conception and birth (long story)

6. How much please would it cost to take my daughter through pre school to high school

7. Please if I’m able to be a citizen by marriage, would my daughter automatically became a citizen as well?

Please help a mother, forgive my gazillion questions ..

Thank you �

4 Likes

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by kolnel: 2:01am On Dec 29, 2019
Very funny questions
I think you are trying to cross the river before getting there
If you have the visa already, I think you should concentrate more on getting here without being turned back at Poe
Surviving here is about your mentality but things are not definitely as easy as it seems especially as an overstayer
Everything is possible

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by XoNaya: 2:06am On Dec 29, 2019
Hello @kolnel from my little research, I’m thinking Houston or North Carolina but I’m waiting on answers before concluding. Thank you
kolnel:
Which state do you have in mind ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by charliejose: 2:08am On Dec 29, 2019
For starters, it is almost impossible to get a visit visa if you don't have a job with a very good salary (a really good salary).

Furthermore, going to the US with the aim of "japaing" especially for a single mother is almost like a suicide mission. Unlike in Nigeria where you have relatives to run to and all that, over there, you are basically on your own. You may need your papers to do most things including putting your kid in school, rent an apartment etc.

Since you indicated that your child is not save in Nigeria, how about you file for asylum?

Also, I would like to ask your highest level of education.

1 Like

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Nobody: 2:18am On Dec 29, 2019
If you're lucky with the Visa process, I'll advice you go to a city largely populated by Africans because of your handiwork and also to "feel at home"

And for the number 4 question, I will advise you spend 2 nights at the hotel, maybe, just maybe, you might get one.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by doitforyou(f): 2:30am On Dec 29, 2019
The following info is based on a city in the North East.

1. Stay in a city with a huge black population, preferably with a Nigerian community. From the top of my head cities/states are - Brooklyn, Queens, Newark, East Orange, Jersey City, Maryland, Houston, Atlanta suburbs (Alpharetta).
2. You don’t need anything special to rent an apartment but you might need to pay more if you don’t have a credit score.
3. You are only allowed to take clients in an accredited salon, you can’t braid hair for profit from your apartment. In some states braiders are allowed to rent a station in a salon. Since you can sew, you can make clothes and sell online. There is a market for ready to wear Ankara on Etsy.
4. No clue
5. I am sorry can’t help but if you stay in a city with a Nigerian community you might get help.
6. Tuition and school lunch is ‘free’ for 0-5 and 1st grade - 12th grade. You don’t need ‘papers’ to put your child in a school. Education is guaranteed for children living inside the US.

13 Likes

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by XoNaya: 3:06am On Dec 29, 2019
Hey, I’m kinda on my own already so as difficult as it is , I’m surviving...I’ve got an M sc. applying for PhD is really expensive, so visiting visa is my best bet.
charliejose:
For starters, it is almost impossible to get a visit visa if you don't have a job with a very good salary (a really good salary).

Furthermore, going to the US with the aim of "japaing" especially for a single mother is almost like a suicide mission. Unlike in Nigeria where you have relatives to run to and all that, over there, you are basically on your own. You may need your papers to do most things including putting your kid in school, rent an apartment etc.

Since you indicated that your child is not save in Nigeria, how about you file for asylum?

Also, I would like to ask your highest level of education.
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by XoNaya: 3:07am On Dec 29, 2019
Thank you �
Erediauwa:
If you're lucky with the Visa process, I'll advice you go to a city largely populated by Africans because of your handiwork and also to "feel at home"

And for the number 4 question, I will advise you spend 2 nights at the hotel, maybe, just maybe, you might get one.
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by XoNaya: 3:09am On Dec 29, 2019
Very helpful. Thank you �
doitforyou:
The following info is based on a city in the North East.

1. Stay in a city with a huge black population, preferably with a Nigerian community. From the top of my head cities/states are - Brooklyn, Queens, Newark, East Orange, Jersey City, Maryland, Houston, Atlanta suburbs (Alpharetta).
2. You don’t need anything special to rent an apartment but you might need to pay more if you don’t have a credit score.
3. You are only allowed to take clients in an accredited salon, you can’t braid hair for profit from your apartment. In some states braiders are allowed to rent a station in a salon. Since you can sew, you can make clothes and sell online. There is a market for ready to wear Ankara on Etsy.
4. No clue
5. I am sorry can’t help but if you stay in a city with a Nigerian community you might get help.
6. Tuition and school lunch is ‘free’ for 0-5 and 1st grade - 12th grade. You don’t need ‘papers’ to put your child in a school. Education is guaranteed for children living inside the US.

1 Like

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by XoNaya: 3:13am On Dec 29, 2019
No! I’m just weighing the options and getting clarity because I’m not alone, I have a kid and can’t test the depth of the water with both feet �
kolnel:
Very funny questions
I think you are trying to cross the river before getting there
If you have the visa already, I think you should concentrate more on getting here without being turned back at Poe
Surviving here is about your mentality but things are not definitely as easy as it seems especially as an overstayer
Everything is possible
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by kolnel: 5:57am On Dec 29, 2019
XoNaya:
No! I’m just weighing the options and getting clarity because I’m not alone, I have a kid and can’t test the depth of the water with both feet �

If you are focused and hard working, you should be fine
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by ednut1(m): 7:20am On Dec 29, 2019
The visa officer already knows your plans from your profile. You have no ties back home in nigeria
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 29, 2019
Your daughter will be a big liability when you get here so it's better you change your plans.
You said you plan to survive on braides? Chai sister, you want suffer suffer and hunger to baptize you okwaya?
You can never save enough for house rent in the US. One bed apartment in LA is almost $1500/month so how much can you save from Nigeria? California is your best bet because of Immigration wahala but it is very expensive to live in the city right now so you may try cheaper states like Texas.
I suggest you get in contact with someone you know in US first before traveling so as to see where you put head first for at least a week before your struggle begins but first of all, go hustle for visa.

1 Like

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Madlov3: 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2019
Following
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Beautyaddy: 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2019
XoNaya:

I’m a silent follower of this forum and my favorite is the travel section and I must say there is a wealth of information packed there..

I’m a single mom trying to start a better life by going to USA on visiting visa with my daughter, , I am saving up money to be able to sustain for 6 months...

My questions are

1. Please what state or city do you suggest I stay for affordability and building clientele.

2. How do I go about renting a shared apartment with a visiting visa that can take me even when my visa expires if I’m not ‘married ‘ before then?

3 . Please any idea on how to reach potential clients with out putting myself out to be caught by immigration and deported.

5. Please is there anyone willing to serve as a guide in USA, I promise I won’t be a liability, my daughters life is not safe in Nigeria because of the circumstances surrounding her conception and birth (long story)

6. How much please would it cost to take my daughter through pre school to high school

7. Please if I’m able to be a citizen by marriage, would my daughter automatically became a citizen as well?

Thank you �

Hmmm!
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Spanishmilf(m): 10:24am On Jan 01, 2020
XoNaya:

My questions are

Thank you �
Sis why don't you try canada
File asylum in canada
You shouldn't ask these questions at all, Get your visa first before asking anything
Canada
What if you give the us visa a try and they deny you
So think twice
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by SoftWorking(f): 10:53pm On Jan 01, 2020
Madam please try Canada if you can. You have masters abi. Do u have work experience? Go through the travel section and read about canada express entry or pnp.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by claremont(m): 12:04am On Jan 02, 2020
What does the title of this thread mean by ''coloured people''?

1 Like

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by kevwemanuel: 4:36pm On Jan 02, 2020
You have a masters degree. Prepare very well in the best way that you can and write the GRE and possibly TOEFL exam. If you can hit these exams hard, you have an over 80% chance of getting a fully funded scholarship to study in the US. This will give you a soft landing. There's a thread on schooling in USA in the travel section; go through the thread to get all the information you need.
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Mizwisdom(f): 5:29pm On Jan 02, 2020
Madam be guided, you will suffer if you try it. The only way you can cope is if you go alone even so you will still suffer but if you suffer you can find your feet after some time. Be wise
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Masking: 6:36pm On Jan 02, 2020
claremont:
What does the title of this thread mean by ''coloured people''?

Blacks, non whites.
You are a colored man tongue

1 Like

Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 03, 2020
DO NOT DO THIS!!!

You are asking for trouble on top of trouble
I know personally people who are doing this. Everyday they are praying for an "angel" to appear and the things they are lowering themselves into doing because of the gravity of the situation is not something to willfully put yourself as a woman or your child.

Plus it is not a sure thing to get to the U.S. because the government has figured out that in most cases visitors arent really intending to be just visitors. Also it is not a sure thing anymore to get permanent status through your "angel."
My coworker is going through this very battle presently. They are spending thousands of dollars in a very prolonged court case.
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Boss13: 12:31am On Jan 04, 2020
You are educated and if you have work experience then you have professional skills. Your best bet is Canada. All you need is money. If you don't have that - the start to save.

I know a few Nigerians who are surviving alone on making hairs. If you are very good, you won't run out of customers. If you are also an excellent cook, you can supplement that too. Good enough, you know how to sew. Hence, your skills will be in demand.

Education is free from 4 years till after secondary school. However, there are disadvantages with being a single mom here in the western world.
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Acme45: 10:51pm On Jan 04, 2020
XoNaya:

My questions are

Thank you �
please try Brazil, if you can give birth there your daughter will be safe there.check giving birth in Brazil thread
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by Vebam1: 12:42am On Jan 07, 2020
I don't seems to understand anything about this Canada express entry, infact my head ache, and am interested in relocating there. Please help a non comprehending sister on steps to apply and requirements .Please
SoftWorking:
Madam please try Canada if you can. You have masters abi. Do u have work experience? Go through the travel section and read about canada express entry or pnp.
Re: Can A Single Mother Thrive On Braiding And Makeup For Colored People In USA by SoftWorking(f): 3:25am On Jan 07, 2020
Vebam1:
I don't seems to understand anything about this Canada express entry, infact my head ache, and am interested in relocating there. Please help a non comprehending sister on steps to apply and requirements .Please
https://www.nairaland.com/5471101/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Visit page one and try to read an digest it.
Will pm you too.

(1) (Reply)

Traveling To Burkina-faso / Difference In Date Of Birth Of Marriage Certificate And International Passport / About To Complete Bsc, Will 1million Naira Be Enough For Mba In Usa Or Canada?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.