Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,648 members, 7,820,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? (15756 Views)

Start Uber/Bolt As A Side Hustle Or Get A Piece Of Land : Your Opinion Please / Lady Sacked On Her First Day Of Work After Asking Her Boss This / List Of Highest Paid Ceos In Nigeria And What They Earn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by NwanyiOkpa(f): 11:13pm On Dec 30, 2019
Hello,

I have had friends complain that i don't tell them how much i earn even if they tell me theirs.

I personally think salary should be private, what's your opinion on this?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by TheGiftedOne(m): 11:15pm On Dec 30, 2019
Depends on your closeness/relationship with the person in question, but generally it's ethically very very wrong.
Wetyn concern agbero with overload

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by czarina(f): 11:51pm On Dec 30, 2019
I've never asked. And I'll never. I don't think it's my business what anyone earns and unless they tell me themselves, I distance myself from it as much as I can.

Modified:

Unless of course a partner/husbandman. Isn't that commonsensical? cheesy

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by franchuks(m): 8:10am On Dec 31, 2019
For me, I don't bother to ask the question except I am asked first. Also, I consider the personality involved before I divulge the information. My believe is that you can only have the information, but not the monthly cash ni.

It brings about unnecessary hypes and demands sometimes.

In the end, one only has to apply wisdom.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:51pm On Dec 31, 2019
Hello, 

I have had friends complain that i don't tell them how much i earn even if they tell me theirs. 

It is nobody's business to know how much your salary is.

That is personal or it is something that is supposed to be between husband and wife.....not outsiders, friends or other family members.

If anyone ask us that, we will try to be polite by saying 'Sorry, it is personal, we don't wish to share' and if they insist then we will change it for them and shout 'WTF, is wrong with you, dem send u come?!' shocked

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by kingxsamz(m): 1:51pm On Dec 31, 2019
czarina:
I've never asked. And I'll never. I don't think it's my business what anyone earns and unless they tell me themselves, I distance myself from it as much as I can.

Calm down sista...
It's not as if they asked you if you'll join cult.

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Olivyabrown: 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

Okpa seller. How much do you make from selling okpa?

25 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Humphrizy(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
I Like keeping it on a low key.....I don't even stress myself by asking people what they earn cos to me... It doesn't make sense atall.

Graciously whatsapp or call 080"9215"19"59 if you need Pure Original Unadulterated Honey..Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by AjalaJ(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
What might then be your business doing that?

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
Wetn happen to Nairaland mods?, seun gave you Christmas bonus or he changed the mods?

Nairaland front page is interesting these days

21 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by sdavirus: 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
Should never be done. Except of course, that person is someone you can discuss anything with. It's usually seen as rude... Even asking how much certain things cost.

If I'm gonna do that, then it must be with siblings and close friends.

Only exemption I can think of is say, I wanna interview for a job, and I know someone in a similar role, only then I could be like "Can you give me an idea of what the renumeration is?"

I've been asked that by certain people that had no right to ask, and I felt really weird. The look I usually have on my face is enough to kill the devil.

Funny enough, those that should ask this question, hardly ask. It's those monitoring spirits that won't let one rest!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by tstx(m): 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2019
Gbegborun

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by StrikeBack(m): 1:53pm On Dec 31, 2019
But we know how much our great footballers earn.

Africans and backwards thinking

We need a drastic change in mentality

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by nymphomaniac(m): 1:53pm On Dec 31, 2019
Depends on relationship with d asker
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Dec 31, 2019
There's nothing bad in telling what you earn

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by sirlaykeens(m): 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2019
There's nothing bad about it. But in naija, if you tell someone how much you earn, depending on how you relate with the person, if your income is low, they look down on you. If it is high, it either brings unnecessary beefing or billing.

The only people I can tell how much I earn are my parents and spouse. Any other person. Ion think it's their business. This is naija. Stay woke.

18 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by ibkayee(f): 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2019
Tacky
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by bush112(m): 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2019
I dey come
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2019
NwanyiOkpa:
Hello,

I know what my some of close friends earn.

However, salary is personal- I don't know what by siblings earns. I just know it is 2 to 3 times what I earn based on the job title and company they work for.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Dpharisee: 1:54pm On Dec 31, 2019
Don't ask me and I won't ask you, case closed, except you decide to tell me or I decide to tell you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by bukkielee(m): 1:55pm On Dec 31, 2019
Monitoring spirits everywhere. You bera be careful with who you share your information with.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by LORDKing001: 1:56pm On Dec 31, 2019
A close mouth is a close destiny. Better paying job may come later. How do you think he will help you secure it later
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Femich18(m): 1:56pm On Dec 31, 2019
To me it's no big deal but it depends on your closeness

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by sirlaykeens(m): 1:56pm On Dec 31, 2019
StrikeBack:

the people you're referring to dwell together in love. If there's hate. It's little. And they'll never hurt one another because of that.
But you see Africa, the hate is just too much. Nothing wrong in telling people how much you earn o. But how sure are you of the person's intention towards you.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by pocohantas(f): 1:58pm On Dec 31, 2019
Depends on who is asking.

My partner? Yes

Family? No

Brother? Yes

A friend that is credit worthy? Yes

A friend that is more established? Yes, make them pity me, give me small from their own grin

People that have history or tendency of borrowing and want to know how much you have left after they have collected N50,000? NOOOOOo

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by LordPherule(m): 2:00pm On Dec 31, 2019
Depends on who and how close or intimate we are. Not ideal to ask. It's part of privacy.
Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by HighOptimism(m): 2:00pm On Dec 31, 2019
Na person wey get job them dey ask wetin e dey earn.

Ask me next month, hopefully I will be gainfully employed to answer this question

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 31, 2019
My friend earning 600k still says enu gbe

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:01pm On Dec 31, 2019
pocohantas:
Depends on who is asking.

My partner? Yes

Family? No

Brother? Yes

Friends that are credit worthy? Yes

Friends that are more established? Yes, make them pity me give me small from their own grin

Friends that have history of borrowing and want to know how much you have left after they have collected N50,000? NOOOOOo
Lol cheesy @ the bolded.
Dat one sef dey o! cheesy wink
Any profit is profit.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2019
You can tell people what you earn abroad ,but not in Nigeria the poverty capital.

Friends and relatives will just be disturbing you and words gets rounds. Before you know it armed robbers and kidnappers will be waiting for you.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Opinion On Asking People What They Earn? by ibkayee(f): 2:02pm On Dec 31, 2019
StrikeBack:

You're comparing public figures to normal, everyday 'civillians'?

And the so called non africans you're putting on a pedestal are some of the most reserved with such information

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Is My Job A Scam!!!!? / Oluwaseyi Shorinola, Emmanuel Balogun, Rufus Akinyemi Get $391500 Research Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.