Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,147 members, 7,842,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! (627 Views)

Ever Help Someone And You Landed Into Trouble?? ... Share / Snake Killed In My Vicinity While Trying To Lay Eggs / Danfo Gets Stuck On Rail Track While Trying To Evade Arrest From The Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by KolaSteven(m): 8:27pm On Dec 31, 2019
My sister just got admitted to UNILAG to study Finance. She had an issue with generating her invoice for school fees payment, so she went to the school yesterday to lodge a complaint. It was rectified almost immediately, but she couldn’t pay the school fees on the spot due to the network latency.

On her way back to Abeokuta (we are based in Abeokuta), she met a corporately-dressed, elderly man whose route coincided with hers. They kept boarding buses together from UNILAG until they got to Fadeyi while also engaged in casual conversations about digital logistic companies (GONA, precisely).

They were about to board a BRT going to Ketu when another elderly man, stepping down from the BRT, approached my sister. The man, speaking in strained English, explained to her that he is a foreigner from a Francophone country and he is in Lagos to conduct Brazilian hair business with some business contacts, and he need help with counting the Nigerian currencies. Said that the last time he was in Lagos for this, he was duped by those he delivered the goods to.

My sister initially declined to help, but her elderly companion prodded her to help. He said they should just render the help for God’s sake, as the foreigner might fall into the hands of those who might take advantage of his foreignness. So my sister, out of empathy and compassion, offered to help, with the assurance that her elderly companion is with her. Not knowing that her companion himself, is an accomplice.

She followed the man to LUTH area, and the rest was history! It was a classic ‘films turning to naira notes after being mixed with chemicals’ story. All she wanted to make sure that the foreigner wasn’t scammed, but she got scammed instead. Her smartphone, along with her Mastercard, were collected and her school fees, #63,000, was withdrew from her bank account.

I just got home this evening from school and I met her sobbing. My sister has gotten thin and emaciated-looking within a day. We are from a not-so financially-buoyant family. I’m the firstborn and I’m also a hustling undergrad and in a limbo myself, or I’d strive to pay for the fees.
She applied to UNILAG last year for Accounting. Due the competitiveness of her preferred course, she missed out by a very narrow margin. Since she wasn’t willing to accept an unrelated course offer. She buckled up, scored 294 in her JAMB while also smashing her Post-UTME this year. Her name was the 3rd name on the admission list pasted by the faculty, without having any connection.

Now she’s just so depressed that my heart bled for her. The deadline for the payment of school fees is January 12 and I don’t think she’d ever take waiting for another year. I’m afraid and scared for her. That’s why I’m writing this post as a last resort to crowdfund her school fees. The New Year Festival is already looking bleak as it could be in our home.

I’m appealing to well-meaning Nairalanders to help out in any way they can. May God bless you as you save a girl from depression.

I’d drop my account number as hers is already compromised.

O225652577
Guaranty Trust Bank.
KOLAWOLE STEVEN DAMILARE

Below are proofs of JAMB score, Admission Letter and debits alerts. Thank you so much.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by KolaSteven(m): 8:30pm On Dec 31, 2019
I'd really appreciate if a mod could push this to the front page. Thank you so much.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by Davash222(m): 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2019
I believe the guy promised to give your sister a huge amount of money hence your sister agreed to help count the ‘almighty’ Nigerian currencies.
Greed... that’s what led to your sister’s predicament, though she was hypnotized with monkey jazz.

Sorry about the loss, and, This Is Lagos. It’s called Eko for a reason.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by emeijeh(m): 8:49pm On Dec 31, 2019
Cash was withdrawn not transferred.
There is little or nothing that can be done.
She was hypnotised.
This format don cast, but unfortunately your sister is too young to know this.
Sorry about your(and her) loss.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by Yewandequeen(f): 9:00pm On Dec 31, 2019
Op sorry ooo

When our parents taught us not to talk to strangers, they were right after all.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by daomi(m): 9:03pm On Dec 31, 2019
S
Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by olumide3367(m): 9:08pm On Dec 31, 2019
Anyone can fall victim of these people. No matter who u are. Tell her to take her

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by KolaSteven(m): 9:09pm On Dec 31, 2019
Davash222:
I believe the guy promised to give your sister a huge amount of money hence your sister agreed to help count the ‘almighty’ Nigerian currencies.
Greed... that’s what led to your sister’s predicament, though she was hypnotized with monkey jazz.

Sorry about the loss, and, This Is Lagos. It’s called Eko for a reason.

She was promised a tip right from the start. But that's not the reason she agreed.

She only agreed because her 'companion' cajoled her to help, with the assurance that they're in this situation together.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by internationalman(m): 9:28pm On Dec 31, 2019
it's not a total loss

at least someone somewhere is guaranteed new year celebration jollymentation
Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by Gallant12: 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2019
This is s not a funny experience

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by KolaSteven(m): 1:01am On Jan 01, 2020
internationalman:
it's not a total loss

at least someone somewhere is guaranteed new year celebration jollymentation

That's not so funny to me. sad sad
You can do without that little insensitivity. My sis is at the brink of depression.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by internationalman(m): 1:34am On Jan 01, 2020
KolaSteven:

That's not so funny to me. sad sad
You can do without that little insensitivity. My sis is at the brink of depression.

not my concern
Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by VirgoG: 4:54pm On Jan 01, 2020
This is Lagos!!

In Lagos, you don't talk to strangers

In public places, you mind your business most especially in a bus.

Learn to keep your opinions to yourself because you don't know who is who. You may start interacting with someone and make a friend or you'll be scammed.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At Lagos While Trying To Help Someone From Being Duped! by dominique(f): 5:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
Following strangers to strange locations in this perilous times, because of how much they promised her? I've encountered these people as far back as 2003 in my first year and I can confidently say there's no jazz involved, people fall for their scam due sheer greed and stupidity. At the time, mobile phones weren't popular so he felt he could entice me with 'GSM' phone and a share in the deal if I can take him to a location in badagry to do some business. I didn't even pay attention to the trash he was spewing, the moment the road cleared I crossed the other side and left him there. While waiting for bus, another man came and said he heard everything the other man was saying and we should help him for God's sake since he's a foreigner and can't find his way around bla bla bla. Like I did with the first idiot, I left him mid speech and hopped into the next available bus.

What they use to hook people most times are money and talk of God. Since most Nigerians are greedy and religiously gullible, they fall right into their trap and blame it on jazz.

Op I hope your sister is able to raise the funds for the fees before deadline. I know Unilag increases the fees if you don't pay by deadline, she won't outrightly lose the admission but will be made to pay more. It's well with you and your family

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of An All-electric Tesla Model S Spotted In Anambra Goes Viral! / HRM Oba Lawrence Oluwole Babajide Congratulate All Indigenes Of Okeigbo Kingdom / I Caught My Girlfriend In Bed With Another Guy…pls What Do I Do Next???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.