Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,371 members, 7,812,091 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? (8816 Views)

Terrorism: Rulings, Distortion And Misconception Of Some Verses In The Quran / These Verses Affirm Tolerance and forbid unjust killings Towards Non-muslim / Can I read 3 “ ‘Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad” & claim completion of the Holy Qur'an? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Lukgaf(m): 6:49am On Jan 03, 2020
Question

I have read on your website answers to questions having to do with abrogated soorahs of the Holy Qur’an, specifically Soorat at-Turaab. You quoted various hadiths, which you said are saheeh, which mentioned the abrogated verses. What prompted my question is the fact that there is a difference of opinion concerning the texts, so how can the hadiths be saheeh, when they mention texts that differ from the soorah?
Answer

Praise be to Allah.

One of the texts which is abrogated and removed from the Mushaf is this verse: “If the son of Adam had two valleys of wealth he would desire a third, but nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam except dust.”

That is because of the report narrated by Muslim (1050) from Abu Moosa al-Ash‘ari who said: We used to recite a soorah which we likened in its length and strictness to Baraa’ah [Soorat at-Tawbah], then I was caused to forget it, but I remember from it the words: “If the son of Adam had two valleys of wealth he would desire a third, but nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam except dust.”

Ibn Hazm (may Allah have mercy on him) said, explaining the different types of abrogation:

Abrogation of the text and the ruling: It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allah be pleased with him) said: We used to recite a soorah that was equal in length to Soorat at-Tawbah; I do not remember anything of it except this verse: “If the son of Adam had two valleys of gold, he would desire a third, and if he had a third, he would desire a fourth, but nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam except dust, and Allah turns in mercy to whoever repents.”

End quote from an-Naasikh wa’l-Mansookh by Ibn Hazm (p. 9).

Perhaps the reason for the different wordings narrated for this verse is that when it was abrogated, it was no longer Qur’an, so the narrators were less careful about its wording, and were not so careful about it as they were in the case of the Qur’an or the hadith of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) which they wanted to convey to those who came after them. Do you not see that Abu Moosa al-Ash‘ari (may Allah be pleased with him) said: We used to recite a soorah which we likened in its length and strictness to Baraa’ah [Soorat at-Tawbah], then I was caused to forget it?

The focus of the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) was on preserving and memorizing that which was proven, in order to convey it to the people. As for that which had been abrogated, they were not very concerned with it, so it was sufficient for them and for those who narrated from them to narrate it in general terms, or to narrate the meaning, or to narrate it with less precision in some of the phrases, especially since both the text and the ruling were abrogated. If the ruling remained in effect, they would pay more attention to the wording in order to apply it.

Al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Then think about what the Sahaabah mentioned of the verses which were abrogated; they only mentioned the meaning and some words, not the exact wording as revealed.

The context and style of the Qur’an confirm what they mentioned about that, and what they narrated here is clearly far removed from the style and eloquence of the Qur’an.

End quote from Ikmaal al-Mu‘lim bi Fawaa’id Muslim (3/585).

It may be that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said something along these lines with different wording on different occasions, on the grounds that this is a prophetic hadith, then these wordings became mixed with the wording of the abrogated verse, because of what we have noted above, or the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) did not focus their attention on memorizing verses of which the text had been abrogated. Hence Anas said: I do not know whether it was something that was revealed to him or something that he said. Narrated by Muslim (1048).

And Allah knows best.

Source: Islam Q&A (https://islamqa.info/en/answers/290374/the-reasons-for-differences-in-the-wording-of-some-abrogated-verses)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Sheriman(m): 10:08am On Jan 10, 2020
To the Ulamas in the Building over to you smiley smiley smiley
Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Changgetonaira(m): 10:08am On Jan 10, 2020
sad
Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by teniboss(m): 10:09am On Jan 10, 2020
Abrogated as in, wiped off??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by kudusman(m): 10:10am On Jan 10, 2020
make i see weting dem go say

2 Likes

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Mightymanna(m): 10:33am On Jan 10, 2020
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked shocked

I am wondering why Allah couldn't save those 50 people that died in the stampede while mourning Quasem Soleimani

Your Stupidity is legendary

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Healthyway15: 10:43am On Jan 10, 2020
Lukgaf:

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

One of the texts which is abrogated and removed from the Mushaf is this verse: “If the son of Adam had two valleys of wealth he would desire a third, but nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam except dust.”

That is because of the report narrated by Muslim (1050) from Abu Moosa al-Ash‘ari who said: We used to recite a soorah which we likened in its length and strictness to Baraa’ah [Soorat at-Tawbah], then I was caused to forget it, but I remember from it the words: “If the son of Adam had two valleys of wealth he would desire a third, but nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam except dust.”

Ibn Hazm (may Allah have mercy on him) said, explaining the different types of abrogation:

Abrogation of the text and the ruling: It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allah be pleased with him) said: We used to recite a soorah that was equal in length to Soorat at-Tawbah; I do not remember anything of it except this verse: “If the son of Adam had two valleys of gold, he would desire a third, and if he had a third, he would desire a fourth, but nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam except dust, and Allah turns in mercy to whoever repents.”

End quote from an-Naasikh wa’l-Mansookh by Ibn Hazm (p. 9).

Perhaps the reason for the different wordings narrated for this verse is that when it was abrogated, it was no longer Qur’an, so the narrators were less careful about its wording, and were not so careful about it as they were in the case of the Qur’an or the hadith of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) which they wanted to convey to those who came after them. Do you not see that Abu Moosa al-Ash‘ari (may Allah be pleased with him) said: We used to recite a soorah which we likened in its length and strictness to Baraa’ah [Soorat at-Tawbah], then I was caused to forget it?

The focus of the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) was on preserving and memorizing that which was proven, in order to convey it to the people. As for that which had been abrogated, they were not very concerned with it, so it was sufficient for them and for those who narrated from them to narrate it in general terms, or to narrate the meaning, or to narrate it with less precision in some of the phrases, especially since both the text and the ruling were abrogated. If the ruling remained in effect, they would pay more attention to the wording in order to apply it.

Al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Then think about what the Sahaabah mentioned of the verses which were abrogated; they only mentioned the meaning and some words, not the exact wording as revealed.

The context and style of the Qur’an confirm what they mentioned about that, and what they narrated here is clearly far removed from the style and eloquence of the Qur’an.

End quote from Ikmaal al-Mu‘lim bi Fawaa’id Muslim (3/585).

It may be that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said something along these lines with different wording on different occasions, on the grounds that this is a prophetic hadith, then these wordings became mixed with the wording of the abrogated verse, because of what we have noted above, or the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them) did not focus their attention on memorizing verses of which the text had been abrogated. Hence Anas said: I do not know whether it was something that was revealed to him or something that he said. Narrated by Muslim (1048).

And Allah knows best.

Source: Islam Q&A (https://islamqa.info/en/answers/290374/the-reasons-for-differences-in-the-wording-of-some-abrogated-verses)

Jazaakumllah khaeran for sharing the knowledge of the Deen with us.

5 Likes

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Kokoebapluse(m): 10:56am On Jan 10, 2020
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked shocked

I am wondering why Allah couldn't save those 50 people that died in the stampede while mourning Quasem Soleimani

Your wonder should be how God can die?

Or son of God can die?

Or mother of God can die?

Is it a normal thing for God to die? think and come let talk about it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:58am On Jan 10, 2020
Alhamdulillah

1 Like

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by fortran12: 11:13am On Jan 10, 2020
How about an explanation for the satanic verses?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by osazsky(m): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2020
Kokoebapluse:

Or son of God can die?

but he resurrected,mohammed nerver resurrected rather he took what he couldnt create,jesus gave life like d resurrection of Lazarus after 3 days he nerver took a soul

7 Likes

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by fatymore(f): 11:15am On Jan 10, 2020
My birthday is next month.

I have concluded on the gift I am buying for myself.

A new Qur'an...

I can't wait to

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Kokoebapluse(m): 11:30am On Jan 10, 2020
osazsky:
but he resurrected,mohammed nerver resurrected rather he took what he couldnt create,jesus gave life like d resurrection of Lazarus after 3 days he nerver took a soul

My brother shout that your sheep mouth up, God die but he resurate what I mumu imagination,

Let me ask you why God need to die?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Youngjohnosas: 11:43am On Jan 10, 2020
Kokoebapluse:

Or son of God can die?

the only begotten son of God died and rose up on the third day. He is still alive today accept him now flee from the religion of blood and terrorist.

1 Like

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Kokoebapluse(m): 11:54am On Jan 10, 2020
Youngjohnosas:
the only begotten son of God died and rose up on the third day. He is still alive today accept him now flee from the religion of blood and terrorist.

A begotten son of God Die? How?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Trump2020: 11:55am On Jan 10, 2020
Kokoebapluse:

Or son of God can die?

I wonder why your sheik gain by deluding you guys.

God didn't die and He can't.

Jesus came as a man not a God. It is there in Galatians but why you people choose to skip that verse when criticizing stupidly is what I don't understand.

God shed His Divinity to die for the sins of man. It shows a God that cares

1 Like

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Siralgebra04(m): 12:05pm On Jan 10, 2020
Youngjohnosas:
U don't seem to be intelligent. The fact remains dat ur acclaimed God died even if it was for 1 minute. The bone of contention now is dat 'Why should a God die for 3 days'?
Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Kokoebapluse(m): 12:14pm On Jan 10, 2020
Trump2020:

Jesus came as a man not a God. It is there in Galatians but why you people choose to skip that verse when criticizing stupidly is what I don't understand.

Trump2020:

If Jesus is God and letter come on the earth, pls who is talking in this verse?
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
Luke 3:22

My second question is why God have to die? Why Jesus don't want to die?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by yahmohy27: 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2020
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked shocked

If He will ,He Can Save Them .But As It Was .That's Their Destiny.
May Their Soul Rest In Peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by yahmohy27: 12:36pm On Jan 10, 2020
Mightymanna:

Your Stupidity is legendary
She's An Ipob.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Youngjohnosas: 12:46pm On Jan 10, 2020
Siralgebra04:

U don't seem to be intelligent. The fact remains dat ur acclaimed God died even if it was for 1 minute. The bone of contention now is dat 'Why should a God die for 3 days'?
HE simply came to save some lost,ignorant,blood thirsty and head slamming fanatics.He does not discriminate Races and ethnic background, he died for peace to reign. if he hadn't died and resurrected I wouldn't have learnt the meaning of tolerance and forgiveness.

imagine if we had another terrorist religion like the Muslim religion this world would have ended.
Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Youngjohnosas: 12:52pm On Jan 10, 2020
Kokoebapluse:

A begotten son of God Die? How?
HE submitted his life as a living sacrifice to redeem the whole world. He died just to show humility,patience and forgiveness.

imagine if we Christians were as brutal and merciless like your extremist religion the world wouldn't have existed till date. most times u guys run from Islamic nations to seek asylum in Christian nations all thanks to the death and resurrection of His only begotten son.
Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Khaleell001(m): 1:01pm On Jan 10, 2020
MrsNwaAmaikpe:
shocked shocked

The foolishness in your thinking is so. thick that you can't seem to find a way out.

If we were to reason with your cacophonous inchoate, you would be wasted.

2 Likes

Re: Abrogated Verses In The Holy Qur'an: Why Differences In Wording? by Mightymanna(m): 1:22pm On Jan 10, 2020
yahmohy27:

She's An Ipob.
No wonder

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Words On Marble / Muslim Leaders Peform Salat At Auschwitz / Ramadan: Things That Do Not Invalidate Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.