Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Repeating The Same Prayers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Repeating The Same Prayers (557 Views)

Why Should A Christain Pray And Repeat The Same Prayers Every Other Day / New Year's 2020, & Of Course Has 20 Repeating Itself, but Why? Happy 2020 Y'all. / Why Repeating The Same Line During Prayer??! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Repeating The Same Prayers by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 05, 2020
Why do we have to keep repeating the same prayer over and over again? Just to make the prayers unnecessarily long? God is not deaf, he hears us once we ask for something. I'm yet to see the reason why alot of Christians pray for one thing 100 times, some even switch to "speaking in tongues"

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by DavidEsq(m): 11:51am On Jan 05, 2020
That is because many of us do not know how to pray and to even pray according to God's will. Matthew 6:7 says:
"When praying, do not say the same things over and over again, as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing by their use of many words".
From the scriptures above, we see that persons who say the same things in prayers, repetitiously are referred to 'people of the nations'. That is, unbelievers.
Besides, the speaking in "tongues" we hear all over, has no bearing in the scriptures. When I hear ppl say that gibberish, I just wonder as to how powerful the devil really is

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2020
DavidEsq:
That is because many of us do not know how to pray and to even pray according to God's will. Matthew 6:7 says:
"When praying, do not say the same things over and over again, as the people of the nations do, for they imagine they will get a hearing by their use of many words".
From the scriptures above, we see that persons who say the same things in prayers, repetitiously are referred to 'people of the nations'. That is, unbelievers.
Besides, the speaking in "tongues" we hear all over, has no bearing in the scriptures. When I hear ppl say that gibberish, I just wonder as to how powerful the devil really is
I feel ashamed when I hear old men speaking in tongues, the act is very fake. Thank you for your contribution
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by DavidEsq(m): 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2020
Crespostakes:
I feel ashamed when I hear old men speaking in tongues, the act is very fake. Thank you for your contribution
My dear, 2 Corinthians 4:4 tells us that the devil who is the god of this age and system of things have blinded their eyes so that the glorious light of salvation doesn't shine through their hearts.
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by Eneche2(f): 9:20pm On Jan 05, 2020
POWER OF REPETITIVE PRAYERS
Repetition according to Longman Dictionary is doing or saying the same thing many times. It is said to be the most powerful means of growth and development that ever exist in the cosmos. Daily repetition of prayers continues to build manifestation energies in the etheric realm which eventually bring forth its manifestation in the physical realm. A call for repetitive prayers will force many to scan through their brains to bring Matthew 6:7 to mind. Let me help you. It says” But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking”. I am not a Bible scholar but my little research on this topic revealed that the term translated as "vain repetitions" is battalogein which is unknown in the contemporary literature. It might be linked to the Greek term for babbling, or it might also be derived from the Hebrew batel, vain. It is often assumed to be related to the word polugein, and thus a reference to a large quantity of words. The Good News Translation has it as “meaningless words”. Vain repetition or meaningless words are not in any way synonymous to repetitive prayers. Many Christian today like Martin Luther used Matthew 6:7 to attack Catholic prayer practices such as the rosaries or perhaps ignored this powerful means to answered prayers because to them, God knows their heart desires and besides they have told him in prayer. You are meant to continue telling Him until the answer comes. Jesus as son of God repeats prayers – Matthew 6:42-44. At different times Jesus repeated same prayer saying “O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done”. Again Daniel, a good man repeated his prayers for 21 days. Though the Bible did not give us the exact words of his prayer, considering what was at stake I can guess and guess right that Daniel’s prayers for 21 days was Oh God reveal the King’s dream and its meaning to me. What of Hannah? For years she prayed- “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.” We all know what follows the many years repetitive prayers. You must not be tired or discouraged. Keep telling Him (God) that your very need, you will get the result for there is power in repetitive prayers.

(c)Cletus
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
DavidEsq:
please see above
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by DavidEsq(m): 12:51pm On Jan 06, 2020
Crespostakes:
please see above
huh?
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by DavidEsq(m): 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
Eneche2:
Repetition according to Longman Dictionary is doing or saying the same thing many times. It is said to be the most powerful means of growth and development that ever exist in the cosmos. Daily repetition of prayers continues to build manifestation energies in the etheric realm which eventually bring forth its manifestation in the physical realm. A call for repetitive prayers will force many to scan through their brains to bring Matthew 6:7 to mind. Let me help you. It says” But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking”. I am not a Bible scholar but my little research on this topic revealed that the term translated as "vain repetitions" is battalogein which is unknown in the contemporary literature. It might be linked to the Greek term for babbling, or it might also be derived from the Hebrew batel, vain. It is often assumed to be related to the word polugein, and thus a reference to a large quantity of words. The Good News Translation has it as “meaningless words”. Vain repetition or meaningless words are not in any way synonymous to repetitive prayers. Many Christian today like Martin Luther used Matthew 6:7 to attack Catholic prayer practices such as the rosaries or perhaps ignored this powerful means to answered prayers because to them, God knows their heart desires and besides they have told him in prayer. You are meant to continue telling Him until the answer comes. Jesus as son of God repeats prayers – Matthew 6:42-44. At different times Jesus repeated same prayer saying “O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done”. Again Daniel, a good man repeated his prayers for 21 days. Though the Bible did not give us the exact words of his prayer, considering what was at stake I can guess and guess right that Daniel’s prayers for 21 days was Oh God reveal the King’s dream and its meaning to me. What of Hannah? For years she prayed- “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.” We all know what follows the many years repetitive prayers. You must not be tired or discouraged. Keep telling Him (God) that your very need, you will get the result for there is power in repetitive prayers.

(c)Cletus
why does this guy not understand simple English on the distinction between parrot-like repetitive words and persistence in prayers? Anyway, the scriptures tell us that such one are always interested in big words. 1 Timothy 6:4: "he is puffed up with pride and does not understand anything. He is obsessed with arguments and debates about words"[b]
Eneche2:

(c)Cletus
why does this guy not understand simple English on the distinction between parrot-like repetitive words and persistence in prayers? Anyway, the scriptures tell us that such one are always interested in big words. 1 Timothy 6:4: "he is puffed up with pride and does not understand anything. He is obsessed with arguments and debates about words"[/b]
Eneche2:

(c)Cletus
why does this guy not understand simple English on the distinction between parrot-like repetitive words and persistence in prayers? Anyway, the scriptures tell us that such one are always interested in big words. 1 Timothy 6:4: "he is puffed up with pride and does not understand anything. He is obsessed with arguments and debates about words"
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by Kobojunkiee: 3:40am On Jan 20, 2023
Eneche2:
■ Repetition according to Longman Dictionary is doing or saying the same thing many times. It is said to be the most powerful means of growth and development that ever exist in the cosmos. Daily repetition of prayers continues to build manifestation energies in the etheric realm which eventually bring forth its manifestation in the physical realm. A call for repetitive prayers will force many to scan through their brains to bring Matthew 6:7 to mind. Let me help you. It says” But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking”. I am not a Bible scholar but my little research on this topic revealed that the term translated as "vain repetitions" is battalogein which is unknown in the contemporary literature. It might be linked to the Greek term for babbling, or it might also be derived from the Hebrew batel, vain. It is often assumed to be related to the word polugein, and thus a reference to a large quantity of words. The Good News Translation has it as “meaningless words”. Vain repetition or meaningless words are not in any way synonymous to repetitive prayers. Many Christian today like Martin Luther used Matthew 6:7 to attack Catholic prayer practices such as the rosaries or perhaps ignored this powerful means to answered prayers because to them, God knows their heart desires and besides they have told him in prayer. You are meant to continue telling Him until the answer comes. Jesus as son of God repeats prayers – Matthew 6:42-44. At different times Jesus repeated same prayer saying “O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done”. Again Daniel, a good man repeated his prayers for 21 days. Though the Bible did not give us the exact words of his prayer, considering what was at stake I can guess and guess right that Daniel’s prayers for 21 days was Oh God reveal the King’s dream and its meaning to me. What of Hannah? For years she prayed- “Lord Almighty, if you will only look on your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.” We all know what follows the many years repetitive prayers. You must not be tired or discouraged. Keep telling Him (God) that your very need, you will get the result for there is power in repetitive prayers.

(c)Cletus
Bullsheet! grin
Re: Repeating The Same Prayers by Kobojunkiee: 3:45am On Jan 20, 2023
DavidEsq:
■ why does this guy not understand simple English on the distinction between parrot-like repetitive words and persistence in prayers?
■ Anyway, the scriptures tell us that such one are always interested in big words. 1 Timothy 6:4: "he is puffed up with pride and does not understand anything. He is obsessed with arguments and debates about words"[b]
1. Consider this, in the very same Matthew 6 vs 6 - 15 which you quoted from, Jesus Christ prescribed for His followers a prayer to recite everything they felt to pray. Is that prayer, given by God Himself not a good enough prayer to repeat? undecided

2. Forget that, because most choose ignorance rather than stretch their minds through beneficial arguments; there is another side to this that you need to consider. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye's Son Defends First Fruit Offering With Tooth Pick In His Mouth ( / Pastor Dies Of COVID-19 After Boasting Of Disobeying Govt Order On Gathering / Spiritual Work Or Spells To Neutralize Eating In Dreams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.