Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,741 members, 7,813,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! (2879 Views)

Join The Programmers Hub Share Ideas Learn New Skills / Python Programmers Lets Meet Here!!! / Thread For Aspiring Pentesters And Information Security Enthusiasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by gargoylern: 11:46am On Jan 05, 2020
Hello All,

Speaking in an interview in 2009, at a time when Google was already growing in leaps and bounds, Google's chief economist Hal Varian remarked that in the next decade, one of the most valuable disciplines in the world will be that of statistics and data science. Looking at this statement in retrospect, it's fairly easily to claim that he hasn't been very wrong. The explosion of big data in today's world is beyond imaginable proportions. Google has collected ridiculous amounts of data from users over the years. A 2018 report revealed that a stationary Android phone communicated over 130MB of data per month with Google servers. One can only imagine how much more an active device would communicate. My guess is, if you were to fit across the face of the Earth the data google has collected from you over the decade and you made one bit fit 1m2 of space, you would probably need over 2000 individual earths as surface, if not more.

That is clearly an exciting period for data and for data science. The field has also witnessed a lot of developments in the last decade with many indications that there's room for innovations. This is about as interesting as it gets. Meetups and networks are being built around the world to support this vast structure, while development continues to move at an accelerated pace. So, why don't we join in too?

Though I am primarily a software developer (I build apps for a living. That's my job!), I've created this group here so we can all learn a thing or two about what's going on in this field. I'm sure we have experts here in this forum, so it'll be a nice thing if we can share information on how to develop as data scientists while also providing resources on his to develop.

So, most of what you'll see here will include:

Algorithm development
Books and links on data science
Available online courses (free and paid)
Websites sharing informative details
Paid/premium content online
Code sharing
Problem solving
Other general interactions

If you have got anything to share, please do not hesitate to post. Also, if you've got a problem to solve, it would be nice to get an input or two from those here.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 05, 2020
WhatsApp group will be mostly preferred. A friend introduced me to data science and analysis just last month. I'm not a seasoned programmer but I love everything about data science already when I went deep to explore its world. I want to be part of any community you wish to create, I'm 100% in.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 05, 2020
gargoylern:
Hello All,

Speaking in an interview in 2009, at a time when Google was already growing in leaps and bounds, Google's chief economist Hal Varian remarked that in the next decade, one of the most valuable disciplines in the world will be that of statistics and data science. Looking at this statement in retrospect, it's fairly easily to claim that he hasn't been very wrong. The explosion of big data in today's world is beyond imaginable proportions. Google has collected ridiculous amounts of data from users over the years. A 2018 report revealed that a stationary Android phone communicated over 130MB of data per month with Google servers. One can only imagine how much more an active device would communicate. My guess is, if you were to fit across the face of the Earth the data google has collected from you over the decade and you made one bit fit 1m2 of space, you would probably need over 2000 individual earths as surface, if not more.

That is clearly an exciting period for data and for data science. The field has also witnessed a lot of developments in the last decade with many indications that there's room for innovations. This is about as interesting as it gets. Meetups and networks are being built around the world to support this vast structure, while development continues to move at an accelerated pace. So, why don't we join in too?

I've created this group here so we can all learn a thing or two about what's going on in this field. I'm sure we have experts here in this forum, so it'll be a nice thing if we can share information on how to develop as data scientists while also providing resources on his to develop.

Algorithm development
Code sharing
Problem solving

If you have got anything to share, please do not hesitate to post. Also, if you've got a problem to solve, it would be nice to get an input or two from those here.

I've got problem to solve
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by polaa: 3:49pm On Jan 06, 2020
if you can create a WhatsApp group it will be more efficient..
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by LegitDiva: 5:03pm On Jan 06, 2020
i am totally interested, have been surfing the net for materials and certifications.

im all in for a whatsapp group pls
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by gargoylern: 6:15pm On Jan 06, 2020
donproject:

I've got problem to solve
What's the problem?
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Presh900(m): 7:00pm On Jan 07, 2020
Let's create a WhatsApp group?
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by sal1974: 6:30am On Jan 08, 2020
This is awesome, am a Java programmer,trying to study MERN,MEAN,and Data science,so would not mind to be in this group.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by gargoylern: 12:13am On Jan 09, 2020
Presh900:
Let's create a WhatsApp group?
Yeah, we could probably do that. But we'd be too few honestly.
We should gain traction here first, don't y'all think?
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Presh900(m): 7:19am On Jan 09, 2020
gargoylern:
Yeah, we could probably do that. But we'd be too few honestly. We should gain traction here first, don't y'all think?
Okay then
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by IceColdVeins(m): 9:53am On Jan 09, 2020
Dear op, kindly bell the cat by creating a whatsapp group, you as the admin can always update the group when monikers on here indicate interests.
Data science is the new oil.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by MyChoice1: 6:53pm On Jan 12, 2020
gargoylern:
Hello All,

I've created this group here so we can all learn a thing or two about what's going on in this field. I'm sure we have experts here in this forum, so it'll be a nice thing if we can share information on how to develop as data scientists while also providing resources on his to develop.

Algorithm development
Code sharing
Problem solving

I'm in, add me whenever the group is created.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Eizzy003(m): 11:10pm On Jan 12, 2020
The WhatsApp group will be fantastic
I already belong to one, its called DSN calabar (calabar chapter) BT we are still on python programming.
So if you are in calabar and u are ready to build a tech community here in calabar
Pls contact me @ ashibcosmas@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Folaoni(m): 2:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
WhatsApp group would be better.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by BunbleBee: 8:47am On Jan 21, 2020
I'm in. guys
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Starry321: 3:13pm On Jan 21, 2020
Okay cool.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by gargoylern: 9:28pm On Jan 24, 2020

8 Likes

Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by akinade28(f): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2020
I'm very interested

1 Like

Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by excel001(m): 9:38pm On Jan 25, 2020
akinade28:
I'm very interested
I don't have your personal contact, so i have to type it here. Anything that brings you to Abuja, Seminar, business, visit etc. just let me know, i will like to meet u in person cos i have been following your comments(not abt this one), you must be interesting to be with.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by autofreak2020(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2020
Hello Nairalander, please I need anyone that have experience in using simulation software to predict behavior of metals in corrosive medium such as H2S (Hydrogen sulfide).

If you are capable, or you know someone that is competent, kindly reach out to me via;

08184419936 (WhatsApp)

https://www.nairaland.com/5651522/want-pay-engineering-graduate-simulation#86108080
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Eizzy003(m): 11:20pm On Jan 25, 2020
gargoylern:
As our first data science info, I'll share a little investigation I did a while ago.
So, I have always been curious about when the mods/supermods post on the front page. Intuition tells me it's usually in the morning, but obviously a data scientist can't rely on intuition alone in making conclusions on suspicions.
I figured I would scrape the data on the front page and do an aggregation on when posts appear.

I use beautiful soup to scrape Nairaland frontpage topics including the times posts appeared. Then I made a histogram of the hours posts where made. This is what I got. The horizontal axis shows the hours in 24-hour time posts were made, while the vertical shows the post count for each hour. Turns out most posts appear between the hours of 7 and 8 early in the morning and between 3 and 4 in the evening. Generally in the early morning hours between midnight and 4, posts rarely appear on the front page, since the mods are clearly sleeping. By 5 in the morning, the number of frontpage posts starts to go up steadily.

So, if you wanna be first to comment on a frontpage post, wake up as early as 5 and watch out as the posts show up. Or watch towards the evening hours between 3 and 4.

NB: Only posts from Jan 1 of this year were scraped.

import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import datetime

# Read csv file
news = pd.read_csv('nairaland.csv', sep=",", header = None)
news.head(10)

m2 = news[1].apply(lambda x: datetime.datetime.strptime(x, '%I:%M%p').hour)
m2.head()
n_bins = 20
fig, ax = plt.subplots(figsize=(10,7))
ax.hist(m3, bins=n_bins)
ax.set_xlabel("Hours Frontpage Posts appeared" )
ax.set_ylabel("Counts" )
ax.set_xticks(np.arange(0,24,1))
plt.grid(True);

Wow dis is great
Boss please which materials did u use as a starter?
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by Folaoni(m): 11:33am On Jan 26, 2020
could you explain better how to use BeautifulSoup to scrape website with example?
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by idrisreal002(m): 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2020
Wow this is nice
And I love your analysis on hours posts makes front page on nairaland.
I also have an interest in data science, I can use tools like tableau, excel and Microsoft power BI to analyze data. Am currently looking for experience as I would like to pursue a career in the field.
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by idrisreal002(m): 8:11pm On Jan 26, 2020
Pls if a what's app group is created, here's my number 08024628728 please add me up
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by IceColdVeins(m): 10:15am On Jan 27, 2020
From the title you gave this thread, it would be easily assumed that you wanted an interactive thread but there you are....hardly responding to anyone. You created a thread and absconded, came back to drop statistics and fizzled out again.
Biko kill this thread or give it a personal title and stop giving people that are willing to interact false hopes.
(No offence)
gargoylern:
As our first data science info, I'll share a little investigation I did a while ago.
So, I have always been curious about when the mods/supermods post on the front page. Intuition tells me it's usually in the morning, but obviously a data scientist can't rely on intuition alone in making conclusions on suspicions.
I figured I would scrape the data on the front page and do an aggregation on when posts appear.

Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by gargoylern: 12:17pm On Jan 27, 2020
Re: Data Science Enthusiasts, Let's Meet Here, Talk And Share Ideas! by gargoylern: 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2020
Eizzy003:

Wow dis is great
Boss please which materials did u use as a starter?

I think the first step will be learning Python. You could start with Think Python. It's available online for free. Just google "Think Python". If I post a link here, I think the mods will ban me. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Indians Are Not Joking In Tech See Photo � / Where Can I Learn Programming In Illorin? / Assembly Tutorial : Part 1 (The Basics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.