Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You (1879 Views)

Man Drives Tesla Into A Petrol Station Leaving Attendants Confused / Tips To Prevent Snakes From Entering Your Car / 5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You by PerfectJUSTICE: 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
Some filling stations and their attendants now adopt different strategies to cheat unsuspecting customers.
I write to expose the fuel pump scam so that if you want to fill your car tank with diesel or petrol you will prevent the fraudulent attendants at the filling stations from cheating you.
Find below the strategies adopted by some filling stations and their attendants to short changed you while patronising them:

1. TAMPERING WITH THE METER : Some filling stations tampered with their meters so that you will get less litres of petrol, diesel or kerosene dispensed.
To detect this, get a new four litres keg and asked the attendants to dispense fuel worth four litres. If the four litres keg is not full, then the meter has been tampered.

2. DISPENSING LESSER QUANTITY OF FUEL AGAINST THE ACTUAL LITRES : If you are not observant, the attendant will for instance, dispense N1,500 fuel against N2,500 requested.
To prevent this, insist that the attendant programme on the meter, the actual amount of fuel you intend to buy before dispensing the it.

3. CONTINUING WITH PREVIOUS SALES: If you are in haste, some attendants continue dispensing fuel from the amount previously sold to another customer. For example, if customer A bought fuel worth N1,500 and you asked the attendant to dispensed fuel worth N5,000. Rather than starting the sales from 0:000, the attendant will start from previous sales and you will get a fuel worth N3,500 instead of N5,000.
Be vigilant, ensure that the meter reads 0000 at the beginning.

4. YOUR GET AIR RATHER THAN FUEL : Some filling stations also short changed their customers by pumping air into the tank rather than fuel. It is either there is no much fuel or they manipulate the fuel pump.
You can detect this when the pump dispense the fuel faster than the ordinary. In addition, insist that the nozzle is not placed on the fast mode.

5. THE LATEST FRAUD: A social media user exposed the latest strategy adopted by the attendants:
"These digital fuel pumps are being used by filling station attendants to scam fuel buyers when you are buying into vehicle tank."
"It had happened to me several times but my suspicion was not confirmable and contestable."
"I opted to buy N2,500.00 fuel. The attendant programmed the pump accordingly. As he was selling, I fixed my eyes on the amount meter as it was reading. The attendant tried to distract me to no avail."
"Surprisingly, when the meter read to N1,734.00, it tripped to N2,500.00. Immediately, I told him the meter has jumped. He did not argue. He pressed something and the figure of N1,734.00 reappeared. He then sold the balance of N766.00; this is the amount I would have lost on N2,500.00 purchase. Imagine my likely loss if I had wanted to buy N10,000.00 fuel."

"Shine your eyes when buying fuel into your car tank."
"If you are opportune to read this, please share on your timeline and to your WhatsApp contacts and on all groups you belong. Already, filling station owners have adjusted their pumps to dispense less than correct quantity of fuel, and attendants are cheating on programmed figures! Double loss. This scam must stop.

Please share." SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE
Please share your experience in the comment box below so that people will be more enlightened about the cheating strategies of some filling stations and their attendants. except

Re: Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You by Mokason28: 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
grin
Re: Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
No be today something naa grin. All those people in cement and ikeja along.

Na them get this format grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You by GhettoG1(m): 2:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
This kind shii don tale though and these set of ppl too will be condemning the government.
We av bigger issue in this Africa sha cos the nos of people trying to steal is even bigger than the people currently stealing. Peepz device new means to defraud everyday... Na only God fit help us.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 08, 2020
no matter how smart you claim to be, those guys will still scam you. at times, I overlook them

1 Like

Re: Fuel Pump Scam: How To Prevent Attendants From Cheating You by TheStarsAlign: 5:54pm On Jan 08, 2020
All you've said are true, you can catch them sometimes but not all the time.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Help! Car AC Smells / Which Country Produces The Best Car? (IMAGE) / What Battery Capacity Can I Use For A 2003,L4 1.8L Toyota Matrix?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.