Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? (12683 Views)

Novena University Gets NUC Approval For Law, Medical, Postgraduate Programmes / Best Law Books For Law Students: A Must Read For Aspiring Lawyers / OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 1:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
Love800:
Good afternoon sir.
Pls i have a question.
I want to be a journalist but dont know how to go about it.
I want to ask, how did u become one?
I have been thinking, whether i should go to any radio station and tell dem i want to work for free. Maybe from there i can be included. Is it possible?

Go to school of journalism at ogba if you live in Lagos. And make an enquiry. I can then guide you from there.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 1:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
Ok
Tank u very much.
Though, i live in warri.
But sir, how abt the radio strategy i suggested, is it okay?
spiritedtete:

Go to school of journalism at ogba if you live in Lagos. And make an enquiry. I can then guide you from there.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Deogratiasfx: 5:51pm On Oct 24, 2023
Evening guys.

I am confused. I initially wanted to take JAMB UTME and fill mass communication as my course in UNIBEN but as many of us know, it has been scraped and spilit to seven courses.

Six out of these seven are not my thing at all. I am left with English and Literature, Law, Theatre arts and Journalism.

My parents have warned me not to take theatre arts. I personally don't fancy studying English and literature.

I am scared of law because 98% of times, I have heard that law is extremly stressful and boring.

Journalism is cool but is a law degree not more valuable than that of a journalist?

Please people, help me decide as I have just 48 hours to make up my mind and purchase the form. Thanks.

What do u have passion for? Kindly go in that area. Dnt let prestige and money guide u. You will surely be proud of ur self years later for studying a course you truly have passion for. Save this post u must come back to see thank u
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2023
Love800:
Ok
Tank u very much.
Though, i live in warri.

Do you have a degree... or diploma. If you do, it is the first step to approaching people and talking to them about taking on a task voluntarily. They then will be open to why?. However you can not just goto a media House without any form of skill or training... I am not talking about all this one man mushroom media houses. So I advise you learn first. Voice training, writing and video editing. This is your major skill you need to succeed in the media industry.

But if you feel you will do anything to follow your passion by getting lucky and working in a radio station... you will end up being an errand boy/girl. And believe me by the time you have acquired the necessary skill it will be too late to compete in the real world.

There is no short cut to professional career success. You have check all boxes to fly.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by xtreme07(m): 11:53pm On Oct 24, 2023
spiritedtete:

Good pm sir!.
Pls pardon my short comings.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by tobore4u(m): 12:03am On Oct 25, 2023
Love800:
Ok
Tank u very much.
Though, i live in warri.
u know okumagba layout, karien street to be precise?
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by xtreme07(m): 5:15am On Oct 25, 2023
spiritedtete:

please give me a second chance.

I beg u in God's name.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 6:19am On Oct 25, 2023
Goodmorning
Ok

But i will be learning those skills at the radio, as am working voluntarily with dem.
Pls can u explain how i will be an errand-boy at the end by starting from a radio? Many big names in the jounarlism or presenter/OAP industry, started from the radio. There was this nigeria guy that use to host bigbrother africa reality show then, he started from the radio too.
spiritedtete:

Do you have a degree... or diploma. If you do, it is the first step to approaching people and talking to them about taking on a task voluntarily. They then will be open to why?. However you can not just goto a media House without any form of skill or training... I am not talking about all this one man mushroom media houses. So I advise you learn first. Voice training, writing and video editing. This is your major skill you need to succeed in the media industry.

But if you feel you will do anything to follow your passion by getting lucky and working in a radio station... you will end up being an errand boy/girl. And believe me by the time you have acquired the necessary skill it will be too late to compete in the real world.

There is no short cut to professional career success. You have check all boxes to fly.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 12:56pm On Oct 25, 2023
Love800:
Goodmorning
Ok

But i will be learning those skills at the radio, as am working voluntarily with dem.
Pls can u explain how i will be an errand-boy at the end by starting from a radio? Many big names in the jounarlism or presenter/OAP industry, started from the radio. There was this nigeria guy that use to host bigbrother africa reality show then, he started from the radio too.

I also started as a volunteer... but I have already groomed myself in editing and voicing... so my skill was noticeable from day1 and I took my opportunity after being an errand boy for sometimes. I didn't stop there. I was also going for different professional trainings.

Don't just think all those big names now just sacrificed without bringing their talent first... the only thing is they were able to sharpen their talent by volunteering
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 2:40pm On Oct 25, 2023
Hello
I know okumagba down to robinson plaza. But i dont know this particular street.
tobore4u:
u know okumagba layout, karien street to be precise?
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 2:46pm On Oct 25, 2023
Tankz so much.
I appreciate.
Let me ask this. So where can i go to groom myself up?

Sorry for asking too much. I know i have stressed u alot here.
spiritedtete:

I also started as a volunteer... but I have already groomed myself in editing and voicing... so my skill was noticeable from day1 and I took my opportunity after being an errand boy for sometimes. I didn't stop there. I was also going for different professional trainings.

Don't just think all those big names now just sacrificed without bringing their talent first... the only thing is they were able to sharpen their talent by volunteering
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by xtreme07(m): 6:52am On Oct 26, 2023
spiritedtete:

good morning sir.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by xtreme07(m): 9:08am On Oct 26, 2023
spiritedtete:

sorry for pestering ur mentions.
It won't happen again.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 3:15pm On Oct 26, 2023
Love800:
Tankz so much.
I appreciate.
Let me ask this. So where can i go to groom myself up?

Sorry for asking too much. I know i have stressed u alot here.

Look for a studio or place that offer voice and video editing training... once you are done go and enroll at FRCN. During this period they will post you guys to a radio house for IT... here is your opportunity.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 6:24pm On Oct 26, 2023
Good evening sir.
Tanks very much.

My last question is, what is frcn and where is it located. Tanks
And sir, was it in a radio u started as a volunteer?
spiritedtete:

Look for a studio or place that offer voice and video editing training... once you are done go and enroll at FRCN. During this period they will post you guys to a radio house for IT... here is your opportunity.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 12:42pm On Oct 27, 2023
Love800:
Good evening sir.
Tanks very much.

My last question is, what is frcn and where is it located. Tanks
And sir, was it in a radio u started as a volunteer?

I started from a print media House.. even though I was getting paid. And helping myself to improve through trainings.

Frcn (federal radio corporation of Nigeria).
You have to move to lagos for the course it is about few weeks I can't remember.

However, thriving alone via FRCN is a short cut to your radio house ambition. But it will become a longer route later.

If you skip getting media required skill and you will still not go far... also presenters are poorly paid. The only thing is people around you treat you different.. but you are broke. And it will be the beginning of a fake life style for you.

If I had stayed to be just a radio presenter till date... man I go still dey soke garri morning and night. And be shinning teeth to people that all is well.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 9:02pm On Oct 27, 2023
I mentioned dat this was going to be my last question but the coversation is getting my interest the more. Pls pardon me for dis. I want to talk a little more with u.
Is it better for me to just go to NIJ, since frcn is a short cut?
Presenters are poor? I think is presenters dat dont know their way or onions. But talking abt poor, are they really dat poor? Cos i know apart from their salary, they get money also from other side gigs within the radio. Like for example i know dat companys contact presenters to advertise on their shows and be giving the presenters some percentage from it.

Me i will strive to always be at the top in dis my presenter/oap/journalist journey because dis is wat i really want to do. But seriously sha, i thought this was a lucrative career. Honestly. If u look at the poll chart of the entertainment industry, u will see that after musicians and some few actors/actress, u will see oap/presenters/journalist next. Some even have money more than our nigeria musicians.

But sir how did u made it so big even if the profession is poor?
spiritedtete:

I started from a print media House.. even though I was getting paid. And helping myself to improve through trainings.

Frcn (federal radio corporation of Nigeria).
You have to move to lagos for the course it is about few weeks I can't remember.

However, thriving alone via FRCN is a short cut to your radio house ambition. But it will become a longer route later.

If you skip getting media required skill and you will still not go far... also presenters are poorly paid. The only thing is people around you treat you different.. but you are broke. And it will be the beginning of a fake life style for you.

If I had stayed to be just a radio presenter till date... man I go still dey soke garri morning and night. And be shinning teeth to people that all is well.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 11:55am On Oct 28, 2023
Love800:
I mentioned dat this was going to be my last question but the coversation is getting my interest the more. Pls pardon me for dis. I want to talk a little more with u.
Is it better for me to just go to NIJ, since frcn is a short cut?
Presenters are poor? I think is presenters dat dont know their way or onions. But talking abt poor, are they really dat poor? Cos i know apart from their salary, they get money also from other side gigs within the radio. Like for example i know dat companys contact presenters to advertise on their shows and be giving the presenters some percentage from it.

Me i will strive to always be at the top in dis my presenter/oap/journalist journey because dis is wat i really want to do. But seriously sha, i thought this was a lucrative career. Honestly. If u look at the poll chart of the entertainment industry, u will see that after musicians and some few actors/actress, u will see oap/presenters/journalist next. Some even have money more than our nigeria musicians.

But sir how did u made it so big even if the profession is poor?

It will do you a great good to go to NIJ. For presenter being rich or poor.. when you get in, you will see what I am saying. Besides those presenters that made way for themselves today didn't just do gigs and made money... the are mostly leeching on some successful guys neck. The goal of being in the media is not to stereotype yourself to one thing if you want to go far. You have to have multimedia skills. This will give you advantage beyond working in Nigeria.... you can work for CNN and the likes. Not as a presenter only.. as a producer, senior producer, program editor, and executive producer. Etc.

Talking about presenters getting paid from sponsors... there are different kind of presenters in the radio house.. those who own their program and pay for airtime and those who are employed by the radio house..etc. any of which those gigs and endorsement can rarely meet your daily living or lifestyle because it doesn't come all the time. And note this is not to all presenters just few lucky ones who can not still afford to save to buy a house after 10 years or more. All that glitters are not Gold. Be a presenter and be morethan a presenter if you want to go far in the media.

Social media influences are even well paid morethan radio presenters interms of gigs and sponsorships
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 8:41pm On Oct 28, 2023
Hmm
Dis is deep.
Tankz so much. U really enlightened me with dis post. Tankz for even having my time. I appreciate.
One more last thing pls.
After dis i wont quote u again. I just want be sure of something.
It goes like dis

So i have gotten my bsc, i have also receive some media skills like video editing and other relevant skills, finally i went to NIJ.
Whats next?

Just asking though, if u have an idea
spiritedtete:

It will do you a great good to go to NIJ. For presenter being rich or poor.. when you get in, you will see what I am saying. Besides those presenters that made way for themselves today didn't just do gigs and made money... the are mostly leeching on some successful guys neck. The goal of being in the media is not to stereotype yourself to one thing if you want to go far. You have to have multimedia skills. This will give you advantage beyond working in Nigeria.... you can work for CNN and the likes. Not as a presenter only.. as a producer, senior producer, program editor, and executive producer. Etc.

Talking about presenters getting paid from sponsors... there are different kind of presenters in the radio house.. those who own their program and pay for airtime and those who are employed by the radio house..etc. any of which those gigs and endorsement can rarely meet your daily living or lifestyle because it doesn't come all the time. And note this is not to all presenters just few lucky ones who can not still afford to save to buy a house after 10 years or more. All that glitters are not Gold. Be a presenter and be morethan a presenter if you want to go far in the media.

Social media influences are even well paid morethan radio presenters interms of gigs and sponsorships
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 9:40pm On Oct 29, 2023
Love800:
Hmm
Dis is deep.
Tankz so much. U really enlightened me with dis post. Tankz for even having my time. I appreciate.
One more last thing pls.
After dis i wont quote u again. I just want be sure of something.
It goes like dis

So i have gotten my bsc, i have also receive some media skills like video editing and other relevant skills, finally i went to NIJ.
Whats next?

Just asking though, if u have an idea

If you go to NIJ... no need for going for bsc again. I am being Frank here. If you really want to major in media. NIJ is where you should go. While in NIJ you will see alot of like minds like you and they will point to you where to acquire other media skills.

Please be free to ask me questions anytime. I will reply when I see it .
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 2:46pm On Oct 30, 2023
Ok
I appreciate.

But after NIJ, can i go to radio to kick-start my career proper?
spiritedtete:

If you go to NIJ... no need for going for bsc again. I am being Frank here. If you really want to major in media. NIJ is where you should go. While in NIJ you will see alot of like minds like you and they will point to you where to acquire other media skills.

Please be free to ask me questions anytime. I will reply when I see it .
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 1:00am On Nov 03, 2023
Love800:
Ok
I appreciate.

But after NIJ, can i go to radio to kick-start my career proper?

Just continue to work on your network ... even while you are in NIJ...
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 12:35pm On Nov 03, 2023
Ok
Tankz so much.
I tank God i encountered u
U changed my life with all dis knowledge u dished to me.
Tank u once again
I appreciate.
Pls do have a wonderful time ahead.
Goodbye sir.
spiritedtete:

Just continue to work on your network ... even while you are in NIJ...

1 Like

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 7:56am On Jan 16
Hello.
Goodmorning sir.
There is a question i want to ask pls.
The question is this. Are media/radio personalities or workers forced to retire? Will they be remove eventually from office at a particular age?
Can media workers choose when to retire themselves or the company will decide it for dem?
spiritedtete:

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 10:55am On Jan 25
Love800:
Hello.
Goodmorning sir.
There is a question i want to ask pls.
The question is this. Are media/radio personalities or workers forced to retire? Will they be remove eventually from office at a particular age?
Can media workers choose when to retire themselves or the company will decide it for dem?

Sadly they never get to retire... always working even when not active in the spotlight. They have made connections and start something or mentoring and still working actively.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 6:12pm On Jan 25
Goodevening.
Ok.

But NTA station do retire their staffs.
I read about a staff dat got retired by NTA after serving dem for 35years. I read it here in nairaland.

spiritedtete:

Sadly they never get to retire... always working even when not active in the spotlight. They have made connections and start something or mentoring and still working actively.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 1:22am On Jan 30
Love800:
Goodevening.
Ok.

But NTA station do retire their staffs.
I read about a staff dat got retired by NTA after serving dem for 35years. I read it here in nairaland.

Because NTA belongs to government sir... that's the retirement years for civil service
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Jambexpo2024: 6:33am On Jan 30
Law vs Journalism: Which Course Has More Opportunities and Prospects?
That is a tough choice, as both Law and Journalism are very different and have their own pros and cons. Ultimately, the decision depends on your interests, skills, and goals.

Law is a prestigious and rewarding career that requires a lot of academic ability, communication skills, and resilience. Lawyers advise and represent clients on legal issues and disputes, and can work in various fields such as corporate, criminal, environmental, or human rights law. Lawyers typically earn a high salary, but also face a lot of pressure, competition, and long hours.

Journalism is a competitive and demanding profession that requires good language skills, analytical and astute thinking, and empathy. Journalists report and interpret news and events, and can work in various media such as print, broadcast, or online. Journalists often have a low pay, but also have the opportunity to uncover hidden truths, shed light on complex issues, and influence public opinion.

Both careers require writing, researching, and narrating skills, but they differ in the scope, purpose, and audience of their work. Law is more focused on applying rules and regulations to specific cases, while journalism is more focused on informing and engaging the public on current affairs.

To pursue a career in law or journalism, you will need to follow different academic paths. For law, you will need to complete a bachelor’s degree in any discipline, followed by a three-year law degree or a one-year law conversion course. For journalism, you will need to complete a bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications, or a postgraduate diploma or master’s degree in journalism.

You can also explore the possibility of combining law and journalism, as some lawyers and law graduates have gone on to work as legal journalists, investigative journalists, or media lawyers. These roles require a combination of legal and journalistic knowledge and skills, and can offer a unique and challenging career.

Ultimately, the choice between law and journalism depends on what you are passionate about, what you are good at, and what you want to achieve. You can do some more research on the web1234, talk to some professionals in both fields, and take some online tests or quizzes to assess your aptitude and personality. I hope this helps you make an informed and satisfying decision. 😊
Refer to my sister for more details https://jambexpo.com/jamb-2024-expo-2/
Evening guys.

I am confused. I initially wanted to take JAMB UTME and fill mass communication as my course in UNIBEN but as many of us know, it has been scraped and spilit to seven courses.

Six out of these seven are not my thing at all. I am left with English and Literature, Law, Theatre arts and Journalism.

My parents have warned me not to take theatre arts. I personally don't fancy studying English and literature.

I am scared of law because 98% of times, I have heard that law is extremly stressful and boring.

Journalism is cool but is a law degree not more valuable than that of a journalist?

Please people, help me decide as I have just 48 hours to make up my mind and purchase the form. Thanks.
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 3:05pm On Jan 30
Okay.
Then who are those u were refering to dat dont retire. The private stations?
spiritedtete:

Because NTA belongs to government sir... that's the retirement years for civil service
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by spiritedtete: 7:29pm On Jan 30
Love800:
Okay.
Then who are those u were refering to dat dont retire. The private stations?

Retirement doesn't mean you have stop working for yourself... use your tongue to count you teeth. You are not 9 years old come on!
Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 7:32am On Feb 05
What do u mean by the bolded?
I understood it a little. But can u make it clearer pls.
spiritedtete:

Re: Should She Go For Law Or Journalism? by Love800(m): 7:36am On Feb 05
Okay.
spiritedtete:

Retirement doesn't mean you have stop working for yourself... use your tongue to count you teeth. You are not 9 years old come on!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Protest In ATBU Over Lack Of Accommodation / Only 24 Candidates In Zamfara Passed 2017 Nov/Dec NECO GCE / Ogugu School SSCE Results, Cancelled After 4 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.