Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? (769 Views)

Which One Of This Sentences Is Correct And Why? / What's The Correct Usage Of "In Other To" And "In Order To" / Grammar Storming: Which Of This Options Is Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2020
Which one of these sentences is correct and why, considering the subject verb agreement?

I have had my partner does good things for people.

I have had my partner do good things for people.

1 Like

Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Lavisha(f): 4:34pm On Jan 12, 2020
Chai, English don suffer.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Davash222(m): 4:41pm On Jan 12, 2020
I have had my partner doeth good things for people, or you can just speak pidgin.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 12, 2020
Lavisha:
Chai, English don suffer.

You want to use style avoid the question. Give me answer if you know.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2020
Davash222:
I have had my partner doeth good things for people, or you can just speak pidgin.

Find a means to give me good answer.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 12, 2020
Where are the grammarians? Help me.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Colorado1(m): 4:58pm On Jan 12, 2020
I have had my partner do good things for people
This is correct cos the 'had' shows its a past tense
Its more like saying u made ur partner do good things for people

1 Like

Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 12, 2020
Colorado1:
I have had my partner do good things for people
This is correct cos the 'had' shows its a past tense
Its more like saying u made ur partner do good things for people

But both "I" and "partner" are subjects in the sentence, meaning that have, and not had which made it a present perfect tense, is the verb of I in the sentence, while partner is also a subject and the verb "do" cannot agree with it.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Divepen1(m): 6:14pm On Jan 12, 2020
Elder010:

But both "I" and "partner" are subjects in the sentence, meaning that have, and not had which made it a present perfect tense, is the verb of I in the sentence, while partner is also a subject and the verb "do" cannot agree with it.
If you change 'have had' to ' have made', you'll get the right answer, which should be 'do'

1 Like

Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Yahksbiz(m): 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2020
Elder010:
Which one of these sentences is correct and why, considering the subject verb agreement?

I have had my partner does good things for people.

I have had my partner do good things for people.

Non of the above sentences pass the message you intended to ask.

You have had

To have something or someone under your possession.

You have heard
To hear something with your ear.

Have had/heard" present perfect tense

My partner does" is not a correct complement of "I have had"

Just imagine that someone under you is doing good to people or you heard someone doing good to people.

I" concord with plural verb
My partner" concord with singular verb

If I should go with your statement as it was written.

I have had my partner does good to people.

But it should have been written as
I heard my partner is going good to people
Or
I heard my partner does good to people.
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by ayamalexander77(m): 11:53am On Jan 19, 2020
Las las na wu u n ur partner epp??
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by ADAMXMAR: 2:57pm On Jan 19, 2020
So wc one come be d corect one na
Re: Which One Of These Sentences Is Correct And Why? by Yahksbiz(m): 4:33pm On Jan 19, 2020
ADAMXMAR:
So wc one come be d corect one na
None

(1) (Reply)

My Virgin Maid (Chapter 1) / Stephen-p Mr. Moderator :a Little Help Please. Thanks For Your Help. / A Feast For The Vultures (a Poem)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.