Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,984 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media (23524 Views)

Ruling On A Woman Putting Her Picture On Social Media / Reminder: Ruling On Congratulating Non Muslim On Their Festival Celebration / Islamic Ruling On Blowing Oneself Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Lukgaf(m): 5:10am On Jan 17, 2020
Question

My question is about cartoons that contain animate beings. Is it permissible to take them from websites and share them in chat rooms? Please note that the person who is putting it in the chat room is not the one who drew the cartoons. Some of these cartoons depict a good idea that it is difficult to convey in mere words, and they may sometimes be more effective in conveying the idea. Is simply sharing them permissible?

Praise be to Allah.

Firstly:

It is not permissible to draw images of animate beings, whether the depiction is realistic or distorted, which is what is called cartoons, because of the general meaning of the evidence which indicates that it is haraam to draw and depict animate beings.

An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said in Sharh Saheeh Muslim: Our companions and other scholars said that making an image of an animate being is emphatically prohibited and is a major sin, because this stern warning is issued against it in the hadiths. That applies whether it is included in something that will be handled without respect or otherwise; making it is haraam in all cases, because it is trying to match the creation of Allah, may He be exalted. It is all the same whether it is on a garment, a rug, a dirham (silver coin), a dinar (gold coin), a penny, a vessel, a wall or anything else. As for depicting trees, camel saddles and other things that do not show animate beings, that is not haraam. This is the ruling on image-making.

With regard to keeping anything in which there is a depiction of an animate being, if it is hung on a wall, or it is on a garment or turban that is worn, and the like, which are matters that are not regarded as disrespectful handling, then it is haraam. If it is on a rug that is stepped on, or a pillow or cushion and the like, that are handled with disrespect, then it is not haraam, but does it prevent the angels of mercy from entering that house? There is a scholarly discussion concerning that, which we will mention below, in sha Allah. In all these cases, there is no difference between that which has a shadow (three dimensional) and that which does not have a shadow (two dimensional). This is a summary of our view on the matter. Something similar was mentioned by the majority of scholars among the Sahaabah and Taabi‘een, and those who came after them. This is the view of ath-Thawri, Maalik, Abu Haneefah and others.

Some of the salaf (early generations) said: It is only that which has a shadow (three dimensional) that is prohibited, and there is nothing wrong with images that do not have a shadow (two dimensional). But this is an invalid view, because the curtain with images to which the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) objected was undoubtedly blameworthy, although its images did not have shadows. That is in addition to the other hadiths which spoke of images in general terms and are applicable to all images. End quote.

Secondly:

What appears to be the case is that it is not permissible to share these drawings in chat rooms, because that is spreading and propagating something haraam. Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And cooperate in righteousness and piety, but do not cooperate in sin and aggression. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2].

Muslim (969) narrated that Abu’l-Hayyaaj al-Asadi said: ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib said to me: Shall I not send you on the same mission as the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) sent me: Do not leave any image without erasing it or any high grave without levelling it?

The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) cut down the curtain that contained images, and tore it up.

If a person is commanded to erase images, how can he keep them and care about them and share them?

As for the notion that this is helping to convey the idea, it is obvious that means of da‘wah (calling people to Islam) must be in line with Islamic guidelines, and free of anything that is haraam.

And Allah knows best.

Source: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/93105/ruling-on-sharing-cartoons-in-chat-rooms

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by bazzyblings: 10:08am On Jan 17, 2020
grin
Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by drizslim(m): 10:10am On Jan 17, 2020
I don't miss my cartoon days at all.. When I was a kid I wasn't kidding,

I had to grow up

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Criptofxt10: 10:10am On Jan 17, 2020
Bsba

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by BlackSeptember: 10:11am On Jan 17, 2020
So Mohammed saw cartoons back as a caveman?

Mtsewww rararaddada

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by GrandMufti: 10:12am On Jan 17, 2020
My God!!! angry

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by gbaskiboy: 10:12am On Jan 17, 2020
It is friday Again!

19 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by NewsMuncher: 10:13am On Jan 17, 2020
Chukwu Okike Abiama oo! grin cheesy
I swear these Muslims are clowns fa! They are worse than their Christian counterparts! cheesy

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by kendrick9(m): 10:14am On Jan 17, 2020
Kai .....this people are funny
So cartoons is now a sin...
Chai....
Una mumu no be small

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Aysha110(f): 10:15am On Jan 17, 2020
Jaxakallahu khairan.may Allah increased u with all muslim ummah in knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by hucknall: 10:18am On Jan 17, 2020
I don't understand the write up. Is cartoon a sin or not?

7 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Solomon8144: 10:19am On Jan 17, 2020
Wahala dey this country o grin cheesy

Wetn bullets no go see for Angela okorie face lipsrsealed

27 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by BlackHummer(m): 10:19am On Jan 17, 2020
Never have I read anything more stvpid than this. I mean it. Sadly, the followers are too ignorant and daft to understqnd how ridiculous it is.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Georgry(m): 10:19am On Jan 17, 2020
After almost 1 year, una Don finally allow me comment on Islam threads, but Muslims are responsible for the derailing of Christians threads, but I have to swear for me to be able to comment here ba?
No problem

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by midnighter(f): 10:20am On Jan 17, 2020
I cant believe any supreme God would give this kind of ruling...you people got it wrong

21 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by ContractKiller: 10:23am On Jan 17, 2020
So allah feels threatened by people who draw pictures of living creatures?

This allah has got to be the most petty minded god out of the 1 million gods out there.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 17, 2020
grin As expected..these hypocrites go hijack the thread...

Live and let live!

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by gustav25: 10:24am On Jan 17, 2020
angry

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by wittyt98(m): 10:26am On Jan 17, 2020
Na wa grin The madness And Extremism nor be small. Muslims I hail o grin

19 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Ebenezar2020(m): 10:26am On Jan 17, 2020
Friday is back again with another round of rules. cc marvin906 OfficialAPCNig Isram

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 17, 2020
thank God for the crusaders for halting their push. cant imagine a 2021 with them as world power

27 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Jabioro: 10:29am On Jan 17, 2020
I have being waiting to see this "ours" Friday confused men.. During the days of your know it man of Allah..that suddenly became jack of all trades.. nothing like cartoons..here he wanted to give rules on what he knows nothing about..I can't stopped laughing...

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 17, 2020
Islam is such a repressive and oppressive religion, tufia!

23 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Jabioro: 10:31am On Jan 17, 2020
ContractKiller:
So allah feels threatened by people who draw pictures of living creatures?

This allah has got to be the most petty minded god out of the 1 million gods out there.
You are in trouble..watch as Allah people will besieged your mentioned..

13 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by ContractKiller: 10:32am On Jan 17, 2020
Let them come, I'm waiting for them grin

Jabioro:
You are in trouble..watch as Allah people will besieged your mentioned..

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Jabioro: 10:32am On Jan 17, 2020
midnighter:
So what about these?
Dem go take you eyes see pepper to day...

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by midnighter(f): 10:33am On Jan 17, 2020
Jabioro:
Dem go take you eyes see pepper to day...

Lol I have already removed it, the post addressed the question which I didnt see before

I cant believe any God would be against drawing animals...artistry is one of the best elements of being human

6 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Discombulator: 10:35am On Jan 17, 2020
Criptofxt10:
Bsba
Y'all need to stop misusing and abusing this guy's picture,there is no correlation BTW the meme and the topic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by midnighter(f): 10:35am On Jan 17, 2020
AlataSuesue:
Islam is such a repressive and oppressive religion, tufia!

Like seriously. I would love an experienced ustadh or Imam to come and explain the reasoning behind these extreme rulings.

When they post these things every Friday without explaining them it just makes them look worse

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Sharing Cartoons on Social Media by Ebenezar2020(m): 10:37am On Jan 17, 2020
whether you're Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan and Traditionalists, irrespective of whatever tribe or religious belief, you all need to Repent and Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.
You must confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe that He was delivered to death for your offences and was then raised by God for ur justification. only then shall you be saved

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

28th & 29th July: Eidel Fitri Public Holidays / Du’as For Seeking Knowledge, And Taking Exams / What Will Women's Reward Be In Jannah When Men Are Blessed With Heavenly Maidens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.