Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,847 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos (57019 Views)

3-Storey Building Collapses In Kakawa Street, Lagos Island (Photos) / Photos As 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ibadan / Many Pupils Dead, Over 100 Trapped As School Building Collapses In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by elhafeez(m): 2:43pm On Jan 17, 2020
This year again. I thought it has stopped last year. Construction Industry in Nigeria is where even a graduate of chemistry would be called an engineer.
People that have no business working there are the people employed.
I work in one of the Urban planning and development Agency in the North. I disapproved a building which has a very good design submitted for approval but when I went to the site and saw how substandard the work is.
The staff of my agency see me as an enemy of progress. How will I recommend a building for demolition.
the building is a hostel. Imagine how many people will die if it collapse.
Guess what, the building is still standing, nothing has been done to that report. The last time I checked they allowed the developer continue their substandard construction work.
I was so sad that I concluded that this country has no future. No leader can change Nigeria if we in our own offices and homes cannot do the right thing.

7 Likes

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by brownace(m): 2:44pm On Jan 17, 2020
I hail Nigerian civil engineers

1 Like

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by asahnwaKC: 2:45pm On Jan 17, 2020
Which part and street ...not mentioned ......management of materials...penny wise pounds foolish.....and Agoo is 99% swampy.

4 Likes

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Jabioro: 2:45pm On Jan 17, 2020
Resources wasted..
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by YorubaLord: 2:46pm On Jan 17, 2020
fergie006:
https://www.channelstv.com/2020/01/17/breaking-officials-rescue-man-trapped-in-lagos-building-collapse/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The man has been rescued and is been attended to by an official of LASEMA.

Thank God, the men and women of LASEMA!

1 Like

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Marleek(m): 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2020
Emk5556:
The last time I was in Lagos I found out that most buildings in Lagos are old. They need to check this buildings to avoid future occurences.
Its not about the buildings being old, but the quality of the materials used during the construction. There are over 200 years old buildings still standing strong all over Europe. We need effective quality control and standard checks in this country.

7 Likes

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Neddstark: 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2020
Arrest the quack developer

1 Like

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by TheStarsAlign: 2:53pm On Jan 17, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Too bad
Quick recovery to the man

The man go don dey believe the saying that goes:
" For every day we wake we are faced with more than a hundred ways to die"

Him be nor think say building go ever collapse on he head for this life

Death is only the beginning niggarz
And we are born to die. The only prayer we should be praying as real niggarrrz is for us to smoke enough weed, drink enough beer, bang enough pussy and make some dope money before we die

Dude, it is well with you grin
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by odigiri1983(m): 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2020
elhafeez:
This year again. I thought it has stopped last year. Construction Industry in Nigeria is where even a graduate of chemistry would be called an engineer.
I work in one of the Urban planning and development Agency in the North. I disapproved a building which has a very good design submitted for approval but when I went to the site and saw how substandard the work is.
The staff of my agency see me as an enemy of progress. How will I recommend a building for demolition.
Guess what, the building is still standing, nothing has been done to that report. The last time I checked they allowed the developer continue their substandard construction work.
I was so sad that I concluded that this country has no future. No leader can change Nigeria if we in our own offices and homes cannot do the right thing.

The relevant body has to step up, it shouldn't stop at desisgn approvals, there could be good design but on ground they will be doing another thing.All the approved design paremeters should reflect same on ground.Strict supervision is very important.
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by odigiri1983(m): 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2020
Marleek:
Its not about the buildings being old, but the quality of the materials used during the construction. There are over 200 years old buildings still standing strong all over Europe. We need effective quality control and standard checks in this country.

That's it.Everybody is just building anyhow in this country even on flood paths.It's just a time bomb!!
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by AutoshalomUSA: 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2020
fergie006:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.channelstv.com/2020/01/17/man-trapped-under-rubble-as-building-collapses-in-lagos/amp/
All these Quack Structural Engineers with Dusty Shoes and Certificates .
All these skinny Column Pillars because you wan save money .....
Before our company hire any so-called engineer , You must pass our in-house Technical Test . This is to make sure you know what you said you know . We won’t hire quacks or mediocre engineers. We rather hire student trainee engineers and train them properly . Than hire engineer with Ballon stomach and his dusty RX300.
Our company will produce high quality buildings that will stand the test of anytime . It is called 5Way Contractors International . Me as the CEO , I hate anything mediocre or fake , and will instill this to my staff. If it will cost N10M for a project , We will only add our profit margin of 15-20 percent . We won’t cut down your material price or labor price so that it will be cheaper for the owner . That is why we plan the project budget with the owner to ensure a smooth delivery of project . I really hate cutting corners .

Corners were cut , that’s why this building and other buildings collapse during construction .
Bad design , inaccurate measurements, inferior materials, unskilled labor, or negligence and more can make a building collapse while under construction.

Peace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by uuzba(m): 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2020
Lucid1:
All those tiny rods, na wah for some builders o
It's not really the rods.
Most times. it's too much sand instead of cement.
If you just make mistake not to supervise the construction, they will just be mixing sand and patching the house.
Small thing, the house will just fall.

2 Likes

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Advocate500: 3:14pm On Jan 17, 2020
itsme01:
cool

LASEMA are just like Yankee 911,
*Quick response time
*Professional Staff
*Free First Aid

Kudos to Lagos Governors bought past and present... I hope they organise Jamb Class and tutorial on Governance to our Blodas from the Yeast

lol is obvious u have so much love 4 the igbos, u must have an igbo friend?I pray one day u will be delivered from the spirit of tribalism and ethnicity.

3 Likes

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by itsme01: 3:16pm On Jan 17, 2020
Advocate500:
lol is obvious u have so much love 4 the igbos, u must have an igbo friend?I pray one day u will be delivered from the spirit of tribalism and ethnicity.

grin

So much love out here... the tutorials would be free by the way...
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by AdonaiAluminium: 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2020
All those buildings erected on swampy area's without proper foundation, many buildings in that area are mere death traps

Contact us now for all your roofing jobs, roof repair and maintenance, insulated roofing sheet's etc
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by reuben4christ(m): 3:21pm On Jan 17, 2020
May God keep saving us oooo
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by bluecircle470: 3:26pm On Jan 17, 2020
Ahmed0336:
I pray that the trapped man be rescue in good conditions.

Coren and LASG why?? angry

How can such person be rescued in good condition shocked
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2020
uuzba:

If you just make mistake not to supervise the construction, they will just be mixing sand and patching the house.

Okay. You're probably right
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by richPHAROAH: 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2020
useless nigerians, they will not dig foundation well, they will us 1 bag of cement to mix half tipper of sand and mold block. u will see piller tiny like my leg used as support for a full house. please arrect the owner and lets burn him alive please

1 Like

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by richPHAROAH: 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2020
uuzba:

i dey see am na. dem go use 1 bag of cement mix half tipper of sand. you go see billar for storey building small like my leg. why the house no go fall

1 Like

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by eedimo(m): 3:43pm On Jan 17, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Too bad

And we are born to die. The only prayer we should be praying as real niggarrrz is for us to smoke enough weed, drink enough beer, bang enough pussy and make some dope money before we die
Why would you have to do all that before you die?
Would you take them along?
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by henzy4life: 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2020
He has been rescued alive but was rushed to the hospital
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Sanquine(m): 3:49pm On Jan 17, 2020
Racoon:
So unfortunate.System failure everywhere.Guess the relevant state & federal agencies(COREN, Surveyors Council of Nigeria etc) all certified this building plan?
Imagine!!! The OP said the building is under construction. I'm no surprised because when the structural plan was designed and submitted for approval. What they check is the volume of the calculations, they don't check its validity. Even if there's an error in the structural design, they won't correct the Engr.
Sometimes, the fault is on the client. Clients or Architects don't bother bringing in the Structural Engineer during construction. Client will rather call a Bricklayer or Iron bender to interprete drawings on site which is totally wrong.

3 Likes

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2020
Is the street nameless?

#dumb journalism!
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by Isoduwa(m): 4:05pm On Jan 17, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Too bad

Collect one real beer � my niggarr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by haleymoon: 4:09pm On Jan 17, 2020
Structural sufficiency is greatly lacking, If things were properly done, this could have well been averted.
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by tot(f): 4:15pm On Jan 17, 2020
elhafeez:

You are so very right.
Is there no way to anonymously report it? So your conscience would be clear you at least tried.
Re: 3-Storey Building Collapses In Ago Palace Way, Lagos by itsme01: 5:30pm On Jan 17, 2020
livebyday:

Used the word yeast to represent the igbo members of this forum
Inciting comment, off topic and derailing thread

Mynd44 Seun lalasticlala OAM4J

stop falsly accusing me dude, at no point did i call Ibo.. false acussation is provocation and violation of rule 2

again stop violating rule 20, use report button and stop harrassing my mention about

troling peoples comment with multiple username all day is also violation of rule 19

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lekki Phase 1: Can You Live In This Area(photos) / Nigerians Warned Against Renting A House In Iyana Oworo, Lagos / Landlord Blocks Hotel Entrance With Loads Of Granite Stones For Owing Rent (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.