Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? (1351 Views)

Godspower Michael, UNIUYO Student Creates A 'Speed Motorbike' (Photos) / Video Of Nigerian Branded Vehicle, NORD Creates Sensation Online / Germany Opens Electric Highway For Trucks To Curb Pollution (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by SeaQ(m): 9:19am On Jan 20, 2020
This question gets asked a lot: “Is it true that a Tesla creates more pollution than a conventional car?” It is often asked without any real interest in the answer, but more as a statement that this might be a possibility.

It is part of the propaganda against electric vehicles (EVs), and all things green in general. The question is like a fishing expedition: The hook is cast. The intended catch is negative thoughts in people’s minds, and hundreds of negative answers by all those antagonistic to EVs and any measures to combat climate change.

I have seen this same question asked many times, in different forms. The arguments are partly that, because of the battery, an EV produces more emissions in manufacturing than an internal combustion engine (ICE) car, and that because the power station runs on coal, the pollution is just being shifted from the tailpipe to the smoke stack.

Source: http://www.opaev.com/2020/01/is-it-true-that-tesla-creates-more.html?m=1

Cc Lalasticlala , Mynd44

Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by EgunMogaji2: 10:04am On Jan 20, 2020
I'm not sure. But of this I'm sure, a Tesla is not polution free.
Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by Areaboy2(m): 10:19am On Jan 20, 2020
it is a controversial statement.

Personally, i do not believe EV's pollute more than the conventional cars. Ofcourse there are significant levels of pollution in producing batteries and other parts of the car. However, I do feel the main problem with EV's will come when they get old and we need to dispose off batteries. the environmental impact will be significant

2 Likes

Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by SeaQ(m): 10:24am On Jan 20, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I'm not sure. But of this I'm sure, a Tesla is not polution free.
Do you have any evidence for that
Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by EgunMogaji2: 10:44am On Jan 20, 2020
SeaQ:

Do you have any evidence for that

I'm not a scientist. But I read a lot of books and watch a lot of documentaries on the subject matter. I formed my opinion based on that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by EgunMogaji2: 10:46am On Jan 20, 2020
Areaboy2:

Personally, i do not believe EV's pollute more than the conventional cars. Ofcourse there are significant levels of pollution in producing batteries and other parts of the car. However, I do feel the main problem with EV's will come when they get old and we need to dispose off batteries. the environmental impact will be significant

Astute.

1 Like

Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by SeaQ(m): 5:43pm On Jan 21, 2020
cc : Lalasticlala, Marpol
Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by NaijadrivaCars: 10:20pm On Jan 21, 2020
Dash me one and let me drive and give you an answer.
Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by Nobody: 5:21am On Jan 24, 2020
Areaboy2:

I have watched on Discovery. How batteries are being recycled to use for other things and even on the farm.

And to deal with reality in Nigeria. What concerns us with what happens to the Car or how much of a pollution an abandoned car will cause? When all things being equal when Tesla officially enters the Nigerian market . Because any tokunbo Tesla in the Nigerian market will be useless to the owner. So when they establish their network of charging stations in Nigeria. The rich will be the benefactors and it will reach it full shell life and break down before it is abandoned.

This topic although a bit out of the Nigerian Context. It is a educating
Re: Is It True That A Tesla Creates More Pollution Than A Conventional Car? by EngRichie: 12:28pm On Jan 24, 2020
Those that say so, maybe in their conventional cars, especially the ones with two batteries, the batteries pollute the environment than the internal combustion engine. That's not a reasonable thought.

The key thing is proper battery disposal/recycle after end of life.

(1) (Reply)

Car Wash And Bar. Is It Not A Dangerous Combination? / Mclaren Mercedes-benz SLR - UAE National Day Celebration Design / Ac Not Cooling And Chilling Like Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.