Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,833 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport (40642 Views)

Pogba: Manchester United 'Need To Change Something' After Losing At Leicester / Kelechi Iheanacho Signs Contract To Keep Him At Leicester City Until 2024 / Learn How To Play BBC Sport Predict And Win In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by ogbiwa: 11:28am On Jan 28, 2020
Wilfred Ndidi has probably got a little tired of hearing N'Golo Kante's name over the past couple of years.

After all, since the 22-year-old defensive midfielder joined Leicester in January 2017 he has regularly found himself compared to the Chelsea midfielder, who was an instrumental part of the Foxes' title-winning team in 2015-16.

But maybe now is the time for the comparisons to stop.

Ndidi is not just filling the void left by Kante, he has developed into one of the best players in his position and is arguably the fulcrum in a Leicester team that is fighting for a top-four finish in the Premier League and at one stage looked like battling with Liverpool for top spot.

It is also probably no coincidence that Leicester's title challenge - admittedly unlikely against an imperious Liverpool side - faded when Ndidi suffered an injury in early January.

His return is significant for the Foxes, who beat West Ham 4-1 on his comeback last week to end a three-game winless run, and who face Aston Villa in the second leg of their Carabao Cup semi-final on Tuesday with the tie level at 1-1.

Such is his influence that when he missed three games this month for Leicester through injury, the Foxes failed to win any of them.

He missed two Premier League matches during that spell on the sidelines yet still tops the table for most tackles made in the top flight. And by some distance.

Most tackles in the Premier League (midfielders)

Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester) 86

Joao Moutinho (Wolves) 65

James Ward-Prowse (Southampton) 62

Emiliano Buendia (Norwich) 57

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (Southampton) 57

"I think he is the best in the Premier League at tackling and winning the ball back," Ndidi's team-mate James Maddison told BBC Radio 5 Live's Football Daily podcast.

"Kante is a brilliant player but actually winning the ball back and taking the ball off the opposition I don't think there is anyone better than Wilfred.

"Sometimes you get a player like that and what he does doesn't get talked about on the back pages, it doesn't maybe get talked about on Match of the Day.

"However, us as team-mates know what he does and it lets players like myself and Youri Tielemans do our thing higher up the pitch because we know we have that solidarity behind us."

So how did Ndidi develop into one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe? It all started with a ball made of Sellotape...

There is something simplistic yet regimented about Ndidi's role on the pitch - break up attacks, win back possession and pass.

Rinse and repeat.

The type of footballer he is can perhaps be traced back to his upbringing.

Born in 1996 to a military father, Ndidi grew up in a Lagos barracks. Discipline and education were the priority while football was a passion his father frowned upon.

"Any time my dad went to work I would go and play," Ndidi said in an interview with BBC World Service.

"I would then get the signal that he was coming and go back to what I was doing, so he didn't know I'd been playing. I got caught several times but was still going. I love football. I just want to play."

While many of his Leicester team-mates started their careers in the academies of professional football clubs, Ndidi's football education came on the roads around the military barracks he grew up in.

"We would wrap sheets of papers up and using Sellotape make it into a ball," he adds.

"There was no money to buy footballs.

"We played on the main road, using two tyres as goals. The big guys were using the good pitch, we had nothing to use and just played on the road."

It was during these formative years that Ndidi came across a person who he credits as one of the most influential in his career.

Coaching the army barracks youth team was former Nigeria international Nduka Ugbade, a tough disciplinarian who pushed the young players to their limits both physically and mentally.

"Ugbade is one of the biggest names in African football," Africa-based sports journalist Oluwashina Okeleji tells BBC Sport.

"His opinion is respected and if he speaks to you, you listen. There is no limit with him. No excuses. He is a hard trainer but will not stretch you beyond your ability."

Still, the tough training was too much for some but, as a skinny teenager who was also smaller than his peers, Ndidi felt such a work ethic would benefit him.

'Take the ball and pass' - keeping it simple pays dividends

The discipline he developed from being coached by Ugbade meant he treated every game equally - competitive or friendly - and his big chance to impress the wider world came in a tournament in Nigeria, where international scouts were watching.

"There were about 40 teams that came for the tournament," says Ndidi. "I got the ball and made a run, a one-two run into the middle. I gave a simple pass to the striker.

No-one had seen him so I just gave it to him between the defenders and he went and scored. That was the only game I played."

For Roland Janssen, a Genk scout at the tournament, that one game was enough.

Impressed with the teenager's work rate he invited Ndidi for a trial with the Belgian side.

"When I came to Belgium the coach was Alex McLeish and he was putting me at right-back and left-back," Ndidi continues.

"Then a new coach came in and put me in midfield but it was so strange because the first game I played there I was substituted in the 32nd minute.

"After that I went back to basics - take the ball, look around, pass, take the ball, look around, pass."

'Kante is brilliant but there's no-one better than Ndidi'

Keeping it simple has undoubtedly worked wonders for Ndidi and statistically he is now one of the best players in his position.

Stopping attacks while studying at the University
Ndidi's statistics are all the more impressive when you consider he is combining being the best defensive midfielder in Europe with studying for a degree.

Having found himself with plenty of spare time after training, Ndidi last year enrolled onto a business management course at De Montfort University in Leicester.

"It is easy to get carried away with the bright lights of the big cities when you move to England, but that's not Ndidi," continues Okeleji.

"He is learning how to invest his money properly. Legends of the game have struggled in Africa after their playing careers have come to an end.

"Instead of going home and watching films he wanted to do something productive with his time.

"He may sometimes play PlayStation with his friends but otherwise it is just about football and studying."

He wants to be his own man
It takes a lot to frustrate Ndidi, described by those who see him behind the scenes at Leicester as one of the most laid-back players at the club.

At Genk, he was nicknamed Teddy Bear because of his calm demeanour and ability to take being the butt of some of the team's jokes in good humour.

But comparisons with Kante are one thing he struggles to smile about.

"Any time someone mentions it to him it does upset him a bit," adds Okeleji.

"There is obviously great respect there but now he wants to be his own man. He feels he has established himself in his own right."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50827313

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by logon599: 11:30am On Jan 28, 2020
Going by individual statistics Ndidi has done better really. His tackle and recovery rate has consistently been among the top 3 in Europe for the past 3 seasons or so. Then again Kante won the league with Leicester so that will always count in his favour.

Meanwhile contact me to design your professional building plans, including architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical drawings as well as site supervision from foundation to painting. My charges are affordable too. Chat or call 0816 124 7898 to see some samples. Thank you.

105 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by WendellSimilin: 11:43am On Jan 28, 2020
Kante isn't playing his natural role right now that's why his tackling stats is not up there with Ndidi! I'm not shoving away Ndidi's stats but kante is a beast lipsrsealed

136 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by INTEGRITYA1(m): 11:48am On Jan 28, 2020
Ndidi and Kante?

Over to sport masters.

2 Likes

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Slawormir: 11:48am On Jan 28, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Don't think so

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by MorataFC: 11:48am On Jan 28, 2020
No
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by MISTAICEY02288(m): 11:48am On Jan 28, 2020
Yes! He has indeed outperformed Kante. In this present Season ooo, Ndidi is red hot and should not even be compared to than Midget called Kante.. I mean, the records are there. As far as this season is concerned ooo, Ndidi has been super helpful to Leicester city than Kante to Chelsea. Forget that Ndidi is a Nigerian, truth just has to be told...Yes Kante is good too, but comparing him to Ndidi presently? Hell No!

Meanwhile, the moment Oga Kante turned Goalkeeper and wanted to grab Martinelli's Leg.. cheesy

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by wonuks(m): 11:49am On Jan 28, 2020
cool
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by MorataFC: 11:49am On Jan 28, 2020
Yeah
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by xbox360: 11:49am On Jan 28, 2020
How do you rate them
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by hisexcellency34: 11:49am On Jan 28, 2020
Leceister too small for Ndidi. He should join Arsenal fast

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Demogorgon(m): 11:49am On Jan 28, 2020
Wait, is it the Kante that won a premier league title with Leicester?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by englishmart(m): 11:50am On Jan 28, 2020
The only criterion should be silverwares won. The only trophy Ndidi has won is to be a regular player for Leicester. Though Ndidi is outstanding, notwithstanding.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by abumeinben(m): 11:51am On Jan 28, 2020
Time and chance....balon ... On the way

1 Like

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by miqos02(m): 11:51am On Jan 28, 2020
Yes
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by SpatialKing(m): 11:52am On Jan 28, 2020
Unbiased Analysis

6 Likes

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by BrickDevo: 11:52am On Jan 28, 2020
No
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by miqos02(m): 11:52am On Jan 28, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Leceister too small for Ndidi. He should join Arsenal fast
you are a dream killer

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Badgers14: 11:52am On Jan 28, 2020
Ndidi is indeed solid in Midfield..as far as the comparison with Kante.. you know Kante won the Premier league so he has an edge in that conversation..

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:52am On Jan 28, 2020
Maybe but I'm not sure because I didn't really get to watch Kante of Leicester City that often, I can only say the Kante of Chelsea is better than Ndidi of Leicester City

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by kamez(m): 11:53am On Jan 28, 2020
he will only outperform kante when he wins the EPL...

every leicester player that won the 2015- 2016 EPL has his name carved in Gold at the club, and their names will be remembered for generations to come..

so except ndidi wins something at leicester, or manages to play 600 games for them, no one will be replacing the legend ngolo kante with ndidi any time soon

but kudos to him..the bobo na solid rock for midfield

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Houseofglam7(f): 11:54am On Jan 28, 2020
cool
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:55am On Jan 28, 2020
miqos02:
you are a dream killer

What do you know about football
Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by Bobbystanley(m): 11:56am On Jan 28, 2020
No

Ndidi is Good no doubt but Kante is Phenomenal.

Kante,Vardy and Mahrez won the League for Leicester in 2016 and Kante was the Engine room behind the team's success and Leicester struggled the Season he left for Chelsea.

Ndidi might have the statistics better because we know Kante has been played out of position for almost two years now and you still see him perform on daily basis.

I would prefer Ngolo anytime anyday ahead of Wilfried

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by lexyman(m): 11:57am On Jan 28, 2020
He is among 1 of the best 3 dm in the world .... a silent worker . until he leaves Leicester city ...that is when other bigger clubs will start appreciating him

2 Likes

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by wilemer: 11:57am On Jan 28, 2020
ogbiwa:

Most tackles in the Premier League (midfielders)

Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester) 86

Joao Moutinho (Wolves) 65

James Ward-Prowse (Southampton) 62

Emiliano Buendia (Norwich) 57

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (Southampton) 57

Ndidi is not just filling the void left by Kante, he has developed into one of the best players in his position and is arguably the fulcrum in a Leicester team that is fighting for a top-four finish in the Premier League and at one stage looked like battling with Liverpool for top spot.

Ndidi is grossly under-rated

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport by King2019(m): 11:57am On Jan 28, 2020
Nigeria amaka

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Manchester United Reacts To Arsene Wenger Leaving Arsenal / Anthony Joshua's ₦70m Range Rover SVAutobiography Still Missing 11 Months After / Cape Verde Vs South Africa: AFCON 2023 Quarter-Finals (1 - 2)pen On 3rd Feb 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.