Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,534 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo (24290 Views)

What's Your Opinion About Teachers Flogging Or Punishing Your Child? / Lagos To Give 10,000 Radio Sets To Pupils For Homeschooling / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2020
naijacentric:
u guys should stop dis nonsense what about the other tribes who grew up in the east who prefer igbo language to theirs make una calm down o
The case of igbos is too extreme. They easily speak other languages aside igbo

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:40pm On Feb 02, 2020
OyinO:

Nope!
Pidgin English can be defined as a mixture of rotten English and local language. It is not African. It's the language of colonial master called Great Britain and England. French for Francophone Africa and what have you. It's a reminder of the sad and bitter past of brutal colonialism.
Who told pidgin is combination of rotten English and local language? Are you aware that there are some pidgin words that were borrowed from Portuguese? For example, "you sabi do am?" means "do you know how to do it?". "Sabi" means "to know" or "to know how to", just as "to know" is "saber" in Portuguese
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:45pm On Feb 02, 2020
samwash:

I get ur agurement, it boils down to our parents refusing to speak our local dialect to the children.
Another factor is inter-marriage, wereby both parents don't understand each other language, which one will the child learn.
Another factor is our environment. If they leave in an environment predominant with other tribe.
Correct
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:47pm On Feb 02, 2020
Redman44:

Most Nigerians understand the three main languages- Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa. Well, the damage has been done from the foundation of Nigeria. However, we can create our destiny towards a better future. Rwanda is actively promoting local languages as the languages of teaching in Rwandan secondary schools.
So if most Nigerians understand the major languages, how about others that don't understand?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:50pm On Feb 02, 2020
Redman44:

Hmn. Says who? In the Netherlands, they have more than one national language. They speak flemish and frisian in the Netherlands too. What happened is that the government promoted dutch as the main national language. Same thing can happen in Nigeria with 3 major languages being promoted as the national language- Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo. With government support and mutual understanding, this policy will work. We need to start from somewhere.
Unfortunately those languages can't be promoted in Nigeria because the country is tribal insensitive
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Thazard(m): 3:53pm On Feb 02, 2020
Brandonx:
If you want to speak igbo go to your parents.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by dumodust(m): 6:07pm On Feb 02, 2020
Premiumwriter:
was it in the four walls of the classroom you learnt pidgin English and your mother language?
We learnt it in and out of classrooms... And yes, I write my mother tongue too. English is also not a classroom affair, it's all around us.
The English in our classrooms is a colonial creation and only serves the purpose of bridging people with diverse cultures and languages not to subdue our own into oblivion. The Chinese speak Chinese, the Germans German, even English in the UK is diverse, the Scottish and Irish accents are incredible but they wear it proudly.
English is our vernacular, nobody said you should not know English but my mother tongue is not beneath it.
I consider myself trilingual- Igbo, pidgin, English in that order

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by dumodust(m): 6:16pm On Feb 02, 2020
danvon:
What of those people that were not born with ur upbringing, from what you just stated you didn't put much effort in learning languages it came naturally or luckily
I can't learn any new language now, I learnt all as a child. That what I stated in my response, I see no reason children should be deprived of learning their mother tongue. It starts and home and children now become completely literate at school. Their brains are like new hard drives, they absorb everything. There's nothing privileged about it.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by longerthroat(m): 6:26pm On Feb 02, 2020
all the 2 naira i paid back then should be refunded with interest asap.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Premiumwriter: 6:38pm On Feb 02, 2020
dumodust:

We learnt it in and out of classrooms... And yes, I write my mother tongue too. English is also not a classroom affair, it's all around us.
The English in our classrooms is a colonial creation and only serves the purpose of bridging people with diverse cultures and languages not to subdue our own into oblivion. The Chinese speak Chinese, the Germans German, even English in the UK is diverse, the Scottish and Irish accents are incredible but they wear it proudly.
English is our vernacular, nobody said you should not know English but my mother tongue is not beneath it.
I consider myself trilingual- Igbo, pidgin, English in that order
you guys keep making points that does not correlate with the situations in Nigeria.

How many of the countries you mentioned above have as many languages as Nigeria?

In Benue State alone we have more than 10 languages. In just a state. Should a child be taught all of these languages in order to be able to communicate with others or be allowed to master a single language with which he can communicate with not only those in his immediate surroundings but also with the world?

Look at the internet today, a lot of friction makes it almost impossible for Indians and Chinese to do business because of they don't understand English.

Any freelancer here can tell you this.

Just because you're good on English, your local language and pidgin doesn't mean everyone will be.

And how about the igbo man leaving in Lagos? Should special igbo curriculum be made for the kids?

Language is not our only culture. If you want your kids to be able to speak your mother tongue, make special arrangements for it. Speak it to them, teach them while they are at home. Or even enroll them in igbo schools (if anyone ever comes up with such ideas)

Let it be that you promote the language you love. It shouldn't be a national problem or a formal school problem because that will create more friction than you can imagine.

Let your mother tongue be something your kids picks up from you at home. (how often do you personally prompt your kids to speak your local dialect at home or even speak it to them?). This is where the language get lost. It's not in school that they lose the language.

I've seen many parents encourage their kids to speak English or even speak English with their kids at home. This is good but if you are concerned about your mother tongue then it's bad.

It's however very bad if we want the government to encourage local dialect as much as they encourage the teaching of English. It'll bring more disunity, poor bonding and lack of communication, confidence and opportunity
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by dumodust(m): 8:41pm On Feb 02, 2020
Premiumwriter:
you guys keep making points that does not correlate with the situations in Nigeria.

How many of the countries you mentioned above have as many languages as Nigeria?

In Benue State alone we have more than 10 languages. In just a state. Should a child be taught all of these languages in order to be able to communicate with others or be allowed to master a single language with which he can communicate with not only those in his immediate surroundings but also with the world?

Look at the internet today, a lot of friction makes it almost impossible for Indians and Chinese to do business because of they don't understand English.

Any freelancer here can tell you this.

Just because you're good on English, your local language and pidgin doesn't mean everyone will be.

And how about the igbo man leaving in Lagos? Should special igbo curriculum be made for the kids?

Language is not our only culture. If you want your kids to be able to speak your mother tongue, make special arrangements for it. Speak it to them, teach them while they are at home. Or even enroll them in igbo schools (if anyone ever comes up with such ideas)

Let it be that you promote the language you love. It shouldn't be a national problem or a formal school problem because that will create more friction than you can imagine.

Let your mother tongue be something your kids picks up from you at home. (how often do you personally prompt your kids to speak your local dialect at home or even speak it to them?). This is where the language get lost. It's not in school that they lose the language.

I've seen many parents encourage their kids to speak English or even speak English with their kids at home. This is good but if you are concerned about your mother tongue then it's bad.

It's however very bad if we want the government to encourage local dialect as much as they encourage the teaching of English. It'll bring more disunity, poor bonding and lack of communication, confidence and opportunity
I don't understand your argument, how does learning English interfere with learning your mother tongue exactly? How does learning your mother tongue cause disunity? In secondary school during my time, kids were given options of learning one or 2 local languages so I wonder how it relates to national unity. Everyone learns English in school...so why are you so against them learning another language? Is it because they are learning your so called 'vernacular'? I'm sure if it was French or Spanish, this our argument will cease to exist and sadly I sense a feeling of inferiority to foreign cultures rather than national interest. We are a country of many cultures and we have to deal with it like that. America is like that but every one survives- Mexicans, Puerto Ricans etc. Canada has french and English speaking parts still they haven't split or tried to unite by outlawing one language.
Language has everything to do with culture and one cannot exist without the other. Part of preserving history, mythology and local literature lies in language. The best way to keep traditions and a people's pride alive is via language.Translations never work well.
I have no problem with English, it is an official language via which we build bridges and link... But it's not my first language and I don't find it superior to my mother tongue. English is the language of England, it's their cultural heritage and they have spread their culture through it. It's Vernacular in Africa, the same way they condescendingly refer to ours.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Exodora: 12:11am On Feb 03, 2020
They didd't inform the teacher before hand that Anambra people and Igbo language are like this 5&6. You hardly hear them speak English so am not surprised at all that the teacher is been ... for making them know that the world is now civilized .

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by bigfrancis21: 3:27am On Feb 03, 2020
MrEDUCATION:

Hmmmm....

You are a rare gem in Igbo land. Many people can't do it especially in this present generation. I mostly find it among old men and women or those who lived in the villages for a long time.

I can speak Igbo for long without adding English words.

Many young Igbos of our time especially don't know the Igbo words for 'except', 'until', 'kitchen', 'window' etc. anymore.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OyinO: 5:09am On Feb 03, 2020
edoairways:

Who told pidgin is combination of rotten English and local language? Are you aware that there are some pidgin words that were borrowed from Portuguese? For example, "you sabi do am?" means "do you know how to do it?". "Sabi" means "to know" or "to know how to", just as "to know" is "saber" in Portuguese

Sabi is not Portuguese. And don't pick sabi out of many other words with Naija roots. Besides, you're not are not responding to my comment. There is pidgin English in all the countries colonised by Britain but it's only your people's own you see as bad. Stop the inferiority complex. All the powerful countries of the earth are countries or nations who USES THEIR OWN LANGUAGE IN WRITING AND SPEAKING. Go and research. But let me mention a few; China, India, Korea, etc.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Kfed4ril(m): 9:53am On Feb 03, 2020
BigSarah:
Very Good development, it's terrible being unable to speak ones local dialect.. I hate that about me, hopefully nysc will take me to the east finally....
Meanwhile check my signature!

Lol
So you’re from the east and have never been there?
It’s bad o, why not try going maybe this Easter.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by tobstarizhia(m): 9:11am On Feb 04, 2020
edoairways:

Pidgin language is for the poor ? . Instead of advocating for an African language you are supporting English as a lingual franca?

Pidgin English is not an indigenous language. It is a corruption of our "Lingua Franca." If you're advocating for our Lingual franca, then speak your mother tongue, else you're still speaking a borrowed language, albeit poorly.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by tobstarizhia(m): 9:14am On Feb 04, 2020
melodyogonna:
My Igbo language is a language for the poor? Sense is far from you.
Comprehension is far from you. I said Pidgin English is a language of the poor
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:00pm On Feb 04, 2020
tobstarizhia:

Pidgin English is not an indigenous language. It is a corruption of our "Lingua Franca." If you're advocating for our Lingual franca, then speak your mother tongue, else you're still speaking a borrowed language, albeit poorly.
Didn't you read what I quoted?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:01pm On Feb 04, 2020
tobstarizhia:

Did you read my comment at all?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:14pm On Feb 04, 2020
OyinO:

Sabi is not Portuguese. And don't pick sabi out of many other words with Naija roots. Besides, you're not are not responding to my comment. There is pidgin English in all the countries colonised by Britain but it's only your people's own you see as bad. Stop the inferiority complex. All the powerful countries of the earth are countries or nations who USES THEIR OWN LANGUAGE IN WRITING AND SPEAKING. Go and research. But let me mention a few; China, India, Korea, etc.
Sabi" means "to know" or "to know how to", just as "to know" is "saber" in Portuguese. (According to the monogenetic theory of pidgins, sabir was a basic word in Mediterranean Lingua Franca, brought to West Africa through Portuguese pidgin. An English cognate is savvy.) Also, "pikin" or "pickaninny" comes from the Portuguese words "pequeno" and "pequeninho", which mean "small" and "small child" respectively see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Pidgin for more information.
The aforementioned countries you highlighted were multi ethnic and they choose to adopt a unified language however Nigeria hasn't or may find it difficult because of the perception of one tribe dominating the country. As it stand, the so called bad language is spoken more than the major tribes in Nigeria. By the way shouldn't we borrow a leaf from countries like Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania who are unified by Swahili language?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by melodyogonna(m): 3:57pm On Feb 04, 2020
tobstarizhia:

Comprehension is far from you. I said Pidgin English is a language of the poor
You said pidgin and vernacular
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OyinO: 9:38pm On Feb 04, 2020
edoairways:

Sabi" means "to know" or "to know how to", just as "to know" is "saber" in Portuguese. (According to the monogenetic theory of pidgins, sabir was a basic word in Mediterranean Lingua Franca, brought to West Africa through Portuguese pidgin. An English cognate is savvy.) Also, "pikin" or "pickaninny" comes from the Portuguese words "pequeno" and "pequeninho", which mean "small" and "small child" respectively see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Pidgin for more information.
The aforementioned countries you highlighted were multi ethnic and they choose to adopt a unified language however Nigeria hasn't or may find it difficult because of the perception of one tribe dominating the country. As it stand, the so called bad language is spoken more than the major tribes in Nigeria. By the way shouldn't we borrow a leaf from countries like Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania who are unified by Swahili language?

This last comment is better. However, let's avoid self hate. Any language we can communicate and understand ourselves is unique to us. Though, if you say it's not official or cannot be adopted as an official language, then I will agree with you, but to sound as of we've offended some people or as of we're totally useless for speaking pidgin form of a borrowed language is a taboo, is what I can't subscribe to. Even in the English Dictionaries of official English language, there are still entries referred to as colloquial. And these colloquial usages are accepted in informal usage, and we've even seen English people use them in official scenarios. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UNIBEN Sets Up Panel To Probe 'Aggressive Malpractice' Video Graduate / Lagos Gets 2 New Universities, Merges Colleges Of Education / Yosi Yusuf: Gombe State College Of Education Student Murdered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.