Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,709 members, 7,831,215 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo (24293 Views)

What's Your Opinion About Teachers Flogging Or Punishing Your Child? / Lagos To Give 10,000 Radio Sets To Pupils For Homeschooling / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by chukwumzurum(m): 8:14pm On Feb 01, 2020
I remember the good old days..
We paid 10naira for each word spoken in Igbo..
And I was the class treasurer..

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:15pm On Feb 01, 2020
PHijo:

People should speak their respective languages please, if Nigeria is meant to destroy our respective cultures it should be destroyed before it does that.

Anambra is Igbo and Igbo should be spoken. If I had my way, english would be introduced as a language of instruction from jss 1
Your last point wan tear my belle wit laff. Education minister. If you can tell me the Igbo word for gamma radiation, I go bow.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by samwash(m): 8:15pm On Feb 01, 2020
I hate it when student of these day can't express themselves in simple English.
And if a Nigerian can not express his or her self in English language in the global stage, you call them illiterates, you start agureing that English is not our mother tougue, but you forgot that Nigeria is an English speaking Nation.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PHijo(m): 8:16pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
Your last point wan tear my belle wit laff. Education minister. If you can tell me the Igbo word for gamma radiation, I go bow.

I don't speak Igbo so I don't know
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Davedblues(m): 8:16pm On Feb 01, 2020
MelesZenawi:
Alright.

Igbo bu Igbo.

Fully supported.
reasons why Lagos via yorubas is far better than you because in school classes why should you encourage that in an environment which u have nor ibos and it's why no of my siblings will school in d east mostly anambra very tribalistic place even Delta ibo are not even recognize as ibo in dia place

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Xclusiveme: 8:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

Yes, Igbo Language should be spoken on the same day traditional clothing is worn to school. However, I don't agree that English Language should be given more prominence than our local languages. The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Germans do not speak English as their first language and they also do not teach with English language in their schools. English Language is a 2nd language in China, Japan, South and North Korea and Germany. And these nations are far ahead of Nigeria in so many things. I believe we will produce more intelligent people in our schools if we teach students with Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa. Cheers.

If you train our students with native language, how do you think we can cope with international debate or expressing ourselves in an interview or relating with investors in nigeria. While Korea and rest of the country u mentioned are like that is because their government did a lot for them, empowering everybody with the skills and intellectuality without going to foreign land. I bet Nigeria can't do that. Even our politicians send their kids to foreign land. There's no empowerment. And that's why we need to empower ourselves by learning the foreign language. That's our last option
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

Yes, Igbo Language should be spoken on the same day traditional clothing is worn to school. However, I don't agree that English Language should be given more prominence than our local languages. The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Germans do not speak English as their first language and they also do not teach with English language in their schools. English Language is a 2nd language in China, Japan, South and North Korea and Germany. And these nations are far ahead of Nigeria in so many things. I believe we will produce more intelligent people in our schools if we teach students with Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa. Cheers.

Don't waste your time on those guys please.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by AfroKnight: 8:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
I’m not in support of flogging in general. Frustrated teachers may end up brutalising those children.

But one thing is certain. You need to communicate in English at school. Speak your dialect at home. This rule should be compulsory in all states except Lagos, Rivers, Plateau, FCT Abuja (Not a state though grin) and maybe Edo. Why? Cos the other states have preserved the strong influence of their indigenous languages.

English is the language of education in most parts of the world. Others are French, German, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, and Spanish.

Why did I just say this? Many scientific, business and philosophical standards/concepts were created and first explained in these languages. The languages evolved to accommodate the leaps in technology and civilisation.

How many doctors studied medicine in Igbo language or Yoruba? What is the igbo term for cancer or white blood cell? What is the Yoruba word for entropy or thermodynamics. Has anyone studied creative writing in Igbo language or written code in Hausa? Which lawyer has handled a merger and acquisition strictly in Efik?

Let’s be real.

English is the language of learning. Until you create your indigenous technology and document it in your native language, you must learn how to communicate clearly in English Language or any major language. There is no university in this world that does not expect good language skills from its applicants. If you fail English but pass Yoruba, you will still have to go back to learn that English or French or whatever.

Yes, you should preserve your culture but also learn to communicate with the rest of the world at advanced levels. It is too late (or early) to evolve your language to the level of English or Japanese. Your culture has not contributed to the advancement of technology, science, business, education or economics. Sorry.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MikeBetty(m): 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2020
GreatDesigns:
What about when the students are using igbo to abuse their teachers that are not from there?
Igbos Are Not Yorubas Whose Greeting Is Abuse.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
As desirable as it is to teach science and other forms of education in our mother tongues, it's not feasible in a country that's not homogeneous .
. Not even in Africa as a whole. We are too fragmented along language lines. Too many languages.

I don't agree with you. Many Northerners understand Hausa language to an extent. Same with the Eastern states. Many Igbo people have their dialects of the Igbo language, but the average Igbo person understands the commonly spoken Igbo language. Yorubas understand one another, though the Yoruba Language has several dialects. China has many tribes too, and they speak about 5-6 languages in that country. However, most Chinese people understand Mandarin or Cantonese, which are used as the languages of instruction in their schools.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2020
Davedblues:
reasons why Lagos via yorubas is far better than you because in school classes why should you encourage that in an environment which u have nor ibos and it's why no of my siblings will school in d east mostly anambra very tribalistic place even Delta ibo are not even recognize as ibo in dia place

Even with the English, I can't still understand what you writing.

please write in your mother tongue.

Igbo Amaka till tomorrow....If e pain you shift. Moreover we don't need you to school here pls. Study in your place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2020
PHijo:

I don't speak Igbo so I don't know
What about your own mother tongue?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PythonAmaka: 8:21pm On Feb 01, 2020
flog the igbotic accents outta their heads.

-python amaka
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:

Read meaning into what he is saying woman.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Davedblues(m): 8:23pm On Feb 01, 2020
Welfed:
Correct man..........
I pity you do travel out make ya brain format dats y in ya higher institution dey teach using ibo language!!! Asks does who school in d east mostly anambra about using ibo language by lecturer when teaching
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 01, 2020
samwash:
I hate it when student of these day can't express themselves in simple English.
And if a Nigerian can not express his or her self in English language in the global stage, you call them illiterates, you start agureing that English is not our mother tougue, but you forgot that Nigeria is an English speaking Nation.

Nigeria is not an English speaking nation.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PHijo(m): 8:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
What about your own mother tongue?

Let me educate you, in every language words are either borrowed or coined. English has borrowed words from the Norman language, German, French, Hindi and even several languages.

The absence of certain words in a language is no excuse to discard it.

Before there was no word from objects like car, railway, aeroplane etc in English language.

Until the country Nigeria was created, the word Nigeria was nonexistent.

Some languages have committees that formulate new words. Nothings stops any of our local languages from towing that path.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by AfroKnight: 8:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
MikeBetty:
Igbos Are Not Yorubas Whose Greeting Is Abuse.

Honestly, you should travel more and absorb cultures and appreciate diversity so you can stop reasoning like a cave man.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OlawaleBammie: 8:26pm On Feb 01, 2020
CSTR2:

Even your Yoruba pastors will fight you for that.

Their favourite songs are all in igbo.

Tho we dont understand the language or wat d song mean oo, we go just dey sing am dey go weda hin Coret or not..

Me a no kuku dey follow sing, na look a go just dey look nitemi. cant goan curse mysef

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 01, 2020
Davedblues:
I pity you do travel out make ya brain format dats y in ya higher institution dey teach using ibo language!!! Asks does who school in d east mostly anambra about using ibo language by lecturer when teaching

Lol

Are you better than anambra this boy?

Study in your place please.

Who know you.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 01, 2020
PHijo:

Let me educate you, in every language words are either borrowed or coined. English has borrowed words from the Norman language, German, French, Hindi and even several languages.

Before there was no word from objects like car, railway, aeroplane etc in English language.

Some languages have committees that formulate new words. Nothings stops any of our local languages from towing that path.

Another point scored.

Continue educating them.

4 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by samwash(m): 8:28pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

Oga!!! Ur argument is baseless, those countries u name above speck a unifieing language, which are Chinese, Japanese, Dutch , Korean etc. And there citizens speck English at the international stage. Nigeria is a muti-legual nation, English is our unifieing language.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 8:29pm On Feb 01, 2020
Xclusiveme:

If you train our students with native language, how do you think we can cope with international debate or expressing ourselves in an interview or relating with investors in nigeria. While Korea and rest of the country u mentioned are like that is because their government did a lot for them, empowering everybody with the skills and intellectuality without going to foreign land. I bet Nigeria can't do that. Even our politicians send their kids to foreign land. There's no empowerment. And that's why we need to empower ourselves by learning the foreign language. That's our last option

We are not going to develop properly as a Nation until we adopt our languages as the language of teaching. The Japanese have English as a 2nd language mainly for trade purposes. Japan won't be where it is today if the Japanese adopted English as their first language. Same for South Korea and China. We can create and develop curricula in our native languages if we are determined to do so. Language is a powerful tool of development.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:29pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

I don't agree with you. Many Northerners understand Hausa language to an extent. Same with the Eastern states. Many Igbo people have their dialects of the Igbo language, but the average Igbo person understands the commonly spoken Igbo language. Yorubas understand one another, though the Yoruba Language has several dialects. China has many tribes too, and they speak about 5-6 languages in that country. However, most Chinese people understand Mandarin or Cantonese, which are used as the languages of instruction in their schools.
China, with a population of 1.3billion has chosen just one language(mandarin) as the linguafranca. And you want Nigeria(population of less than 200million) to choose at least 3languages? And you know how crudely tribal and bigoted we are. And you know the whole world is coalescing into bigger units in all spheres in order to compete well.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 8:29pm On Feb 01, 2020
BlackfireX:
They should ban that Igbo language

They should ban your brain

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by NACE13: 8:30pm On Feb 01, 2020
masterP042:
Why our people like foreign things too much to the detriment of their identity is what I don't understand.

Was speaking with one the other day she called our language "vernacular". Wetin pain me pass be say even the English she no sabi, oya pidgin sef, the worse, nonsense. I don't blame them, na low esteem dey do them.

Especially all these lagos brought up, they hardly speak our language, they even prefer yoruba. Igbos are fast losing their identity.
Asusu igbo di uso, bikonu ka anyi na-akwado asusu anyi. Ndewonu.

I like this a lot. I was born and bought up in the west; my parents raised me with only English language(something they deeply regret till date). I couldn't communicate with my cousins or relations because of this and this made my relationship with them dwindle because I can't imagine them speaking igbo to me and I'd be replying in english. It affected my self esteem.

Fortunately, I was determined to learn my mother tongue and I therefore decided to school in the SE where I spent most of my holidays with my big Uncles, sometimes go home (village) to know more about my culture and tradition. I try to make sure no one speaks English to me, so I can keep learning my dialect. I am happy with the few years I have spent in SE. I can communicate to an extent in my native tongue except I usually sound "foreign" according to my relations. I can keep the convo rolling as long as you do not laugh when I speak.
I have promised myself that my kids must know and speak their mother tongue no matter what it takes. I won't repeat same mistake my parent did with me.

We are fast losing our culture and it hurts so bad.

9 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by samwash(m): 8:30pm On Feb 01, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Nigeria is not an English speaking nation.

Ok a WAZOBIA speaking Nation abi ,
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by gregyboy(m): 8:31pm On Feb 01, 2020
okpalaAnambra:
Igbo bu Igbo
Anambra kwenu
Imo kwenu
Ebonyi kwenu
Abia kwenu
Enugu kwenu
Anioma kwenu
Ikwerre kwenu
Igbanke kwenu
Benue Igbos kwenu
Cross River Igbos kwenu
Akwa Ibom Igbos kwenu
Kogi Igbos kwenu

Kwezue unu ooooooooooooooooo.....eeeeeeee
Iseeeeeeeeeeeeee grin grin cheesy

I met an ikwere gal yesterday at Uniben and i asked were are they originally from she said Benin,
So you can go back amd edit that ikwere part out
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:32pm On Feb 01, 2020
samwash:

Ok a WAZOBIA speaking Nation abi ,
Anything you can call it but it is far from been an English speaking nation.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 01, 2020
gregyboy:

I met an ikwere gal yesterday at Uniben and i asked were are they originally from she said Benin,
So you can go back amd edit that ikwere part out

Just yesterday.

That's cool.

Lol

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:34pm On Feb 01, 2020
PHijo:

You can't educate me on how languages have evolved over the centuries. My pOV is that we are far behind on the curve to start coining words for items, processes, technologies that we have not taken part in building. What we should be bothered about is technology transfer.... I couldn't care less about the Lang we use. Let's chase after the real things and not shadows.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 8:35pm On Feb 01, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Read meaning into what he is saying woman.
What other meaning are you talking about bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Gets 2 New Universities, Merges Colleges Of Education / Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike / UNIBEN Sets Up Panel To Probe 'Aggressive Malpractice' Video Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.