Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,511 members, 7,830,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? (1320 Views)

I’m An Adult, I’m Not A Kid. I'm Just Suffering From Dwarfism - 22-year-old / Isit Legally Right For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 2:29am On Feb 02, 2020
To my lawyers in the house, Is legally right for a parent or parents to violently force (by calling people to inject and attack them) an adult (their child) who is about 29-30 years and above to a rehab against his or her will just because they drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes (even when alcohol and cigarettes are not against the law)? Is it lawfully right to force them to a rehab against their will when they haven't constituted any nuisance or violent behaviour.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by amaham(m): 5:03am On Feb 02, 2020
I don't know for Nigeria, but the UK mental act stipulates involuntary admission for patients against their consent. An addict that his actions constitutes self-harm or harm to others are usually admitted.
So, is the child harming anybody or himself??
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by eazzzy1(m): 5:25am On Feb 02, 2020
In Nigeria as long as you live with your parents you are subject to their authority. You are not an adult even if you are 62.

13 Likes

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by RoyalBlu(f): 6:00am On Feb 02, 2020
Is the 'adult child' looking to sue the parents?

Is he independent of the parents?

It's only well meaning parents that'll go to such lengths to ensure their child doesn't waste his life on addictions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Foodqueen(f): 6:14am On Feb 02, 2020
Yes, cos we are Nigerians grin grin
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Oluneutral: 7:05am On Feb 02, 2020
Are you sure the child hasn't started behaving like someone that needs to be rehabilitated?

1 Like

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by cococandy(f): 7:33am On Feb 02, 2020
If they are at risk of physically harming others or themselves then it’s legal.
Otherwise it’s not

5 Likes

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Mindlog: 8:10am On Feb 02, 2020
I work in a psychiatric hospital, a good number of patients wake up to find themselves admitted there because many of them would not voluntarily agree to be brought over.

In the Rehabilitation centre, out of the 37 in residence, ranging from the age 19 to 53 years (both gender) only 4 came willingly while the rest are still angry and living in denial that their various drugs of choice is not an issue! Sha dey must complete their 90 days of detoxification, psychoeducation, occupational therapy, group and one-on-one therapy sessions, after which sobriety or relapse is a choice to make and live out when they leave.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Mindlog: 8:22am On Feb 02, 2020
Slikosliko57:
To my lawyers in the house, Is legally right for a parent or parents to violently force (by calling people to inject and attack them) an adult (their child) who is about 29-30 years and above to a rehab against his or her will just because they drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes (even when alcohol and cigarettes are not against the law)? Is it lawfully right to force them to a rehab against their will when they haven't constituted any nuisance or violent behaviour.

Addiction is a family disease, the addict's lifestyle affects the other members of the family. Drinking alcohol is not the issue but being an alcoholic is where the problem lies because the user has developed dependency on it.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:42am On Feb 02, 2020
amaham:
I don't know for Nigeria, but the UK mental act stipulates involuntary admission for patients against their consent. An addict that his actions constitutes self-harm or harm to others are usually admitted.
So, is the child harming anybody or himself??

No, the child isn't harming anybody or himself. In some cases, they have be taken there already but the same parents threaten to take them back if they don't go for monthly checkups when they haven't inflicted harm on anyone or themselves. It sounds wrong.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:43am On Feb 02, 2020
eazzzy1:
In Nigeria as long as you live with your parents you are subject to their authority. You are not an adult even if you are 62.

Unfortunately, this is true. But it is wrong. Anybody above 18 or 21 should be considered an adult by law.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:46am On Feb 02, 2020
RoyalBlu:
Is the 'adult child' looking to sue the parents?

Is he independent of the parents?

It's only well meaning parents that'll go to such lengths to ensure their child doesn't waste his life on addictions.

These adults still live with their parents, I don't know if they are looking to sue. But it should be possible sue someone for that.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:49am On Feb 02, 2020
Foodqueen:
Yes, cos we are Nigerians grin grin

Then this very wrong, how do we evolve as a country if this type of thing happens here. People get bundled to a rehab because they go to the club every Friday to socialize, that's not right though.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:52am On Feb 02, 2020
Oluneutral:
Are you sure the child hasn't started behaving like someone that needs to be rehabilitated?

Not at all, these people, just go to the club every Friday to socialize, a lot of people in Nigeria smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol, it doesn't mean that they all need rehabilitation, these substances are not illegal, so what crime are they committing?
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:56am On Feb 02, 2020
cococandy:
If they are at risk of physically harming others or themselves then it’s legal.
Otherwise it’s not

Exactly, a lot of victims think so as well. If it's not then it should be looked into. I wonder if situations like this can be reported to the police.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 10:07am On Feb 02, 2020
Mindlog:
I work in a psychiatric hospital, a good number of patients wake up to find themselves admitted there because many of them would not voluntarily agree to be brought over.

In the Rehabilitation centre, out of the 37 in residence, ranging from the age 19 to 53 years (both gender) only 4 came willingly while the rest are still angry and living in denial that their various drugs of choice is not an issue! Sha dey must complete their 90 days of detoxification, psychoeducation, occupational therapy, group and one-on-one therapy sessions, after which sobriety or relapse is a choice to make and live out when they leave.

But this is wrong. Even if the individual became violent, the person should be taken to a police station not a rehab. For example, when two people fight on the streets, they are taken to a police cell not a rehab. It's more wrong, when the person didn't pose as a threat to other people. Forcefully taking a person to a rehab because the club every Friday doesn't sound right at all.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Pavore9: 10:07am On Feb 02, 2020
Slikosliko57:

These adults still live with their parents, I don't know if they are looking to sue. But it should be possible sue someone for that.

Someone who is about 30 years, still living with his Nigerian parents has the effrontery to be drinking and smoking while under their roof? shocked

The person should prove he is an adult by first moving out of his parents house and pay for his own accomodation, establishing independent living.

10 Likes

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 10:11am On Feb 02, 2020
Mindlog:

Addiction is a family disease, the addict's lifestyle affects the other members of the family. Drinking alcohol is not the issue but being an alcoholic is where the problem lies because the user has developed dependency on it.

What happens when these individuals are sincerely not addicts because this could also be the case. Anybody who gets to the gates of a rehab isn't leaving there until after 90days whether he likes it or not. So even the ones who are not addicted will have to suffer when the rehab is told that they visit the club three Fridays out of four to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes and socialize like other normal human beings. Drinking alcohol and being an alcoholic are two different things.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Mindlog: 10:28am On Feb 02, 2020
Slikosliko57:

What happens when these individuals are sincerely not addicts because this could also be the case. Anybody who gets to the gates of a rehab isn't leaving there until after 90days whether he likes it or not. So even the ones who are not addicted will have to suffer when the rehab is told that they visit the club three Fridays out of four to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes and socialize like other normal human beings. Drinking alcohol and being an alcoholic are two different things.

Even persons who abuse alcohol and other substances rarely acknowledge their state, they rationalize their consumption.

Before anyone is admitted into the rehab whether voluntarily or not, a pre-intake screening is carried out. Why not the person (I have this feeling that it is you because from your posts you have not been successful in depersonalizing) focus on moving out of his parents house? Dependent living comes with its terms.

7 Likes

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 11:42am On Feb 02, 2020
Mindlog:

Even persons who abuse alcohol and other substances rarely acknowledge their state, they rationalize their consumption.

Before anyone is admitted into the rehab whether voluntarily or not, a pre-intake screening is carried out. Why not the person (I have this feeling that it is you because from your posts you have not been successful in depersonalizing) focus on moving out of his parents house? Dependent living comes with its terms.

Some of them don't acknowledge their state, correct. But because these people I have heard from drink alcohol on a Friday or every weekend doesn't make them addicts or dependent on alcohol. And by the way alcohol is not an illegal drug; an addict is a person who is addicted to a particular substance, typically an illegal drug. According to a few of them, many of them weren't even tested, they were just taking in based on the inaccurate complaints of their parents. You have a point, why not these people or this person (which is definitely not me) to focus on moving out of the parents house, that's a strong point. But still, an adult under his parents should still have rights. If these people I have heard from don't pose as a threat then they shouldn't be forcefully taken in.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 12:07pm On Feb 02, 2020
Pavore9:

Someone who is about 30 years, still living with his Nigerian parents has the effrontery to be drinking and smoking while under their roof? shocked

The person should prove he is an adult by first moving out of his parents house and pay for his own accomodation, establishing independent living.

This is one of the most reasonable comments I have read so far. Well written.

1 Like

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by eyinjuege: 3:16pm On Feb 02, 2020
It's very wrong and they can be prosecuted for that. You can report to the police that he has been kidnapped o.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by eyinjuege: 3:19pm On Feb 02, 2020
Being an addict doesn't mean you don't have capacity to make decisions such as going for rehab.
Please, it's wrong in all levels to force a treatment on any adult with capacity even if it's for their benefit.
That chap was basically assaulted and kidnapped. They took away his fundamental human right of freedom to move around. It's a grievous offence where even the rehab centre can be sued for megabucks
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 3:43pm On Feb 02, 2020
eyinjuege:
Being an addict doesn't mean you don't have capacity to make decisions such as going for rehab.
Please, it's wrong in all levels to force a treatment on any adult with capacity even if it's for their benefit.
That chap was basically assaulted and kidnapped. They took away his fundamental human right of freedom to move around. It's a grievous offence where even the rehab centre can be sued for megabucks

*Clapping* You went to school well with a foreign head. You know what you're talking about. I respect that, you have regards for the fundamental human rights of an adult.

1 Like

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by eazzzy1(m): 12:56am On Feb 03, 2020
Slikosliko57:

Unfortunately, this is true. But it is wrong. Anybody above 18 or 21 should be considered an adult by law.

Not really wrong, your parents has the right to choose what is best for you as long as you remain under their care. Is it better to take a child for therapy or evict the child? I know in Canada once you turn 18 your parents can kick you out of their house.

18 is the age to stand alone, so must 18 year old work and pay rent even if they continue living with their parents. Adulthood is responsibility not just age. If the child lives alone, the parents will not go kidnap him from his house and take him to rehab.

Weed smokers I know are always angry and violent, they don’t know and they think they are just fine. The people living with them are the ones who suffer the consequences. I support rehab, if you want to be stupid live alone.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Onyiiet(m): 8:59am On Feb 03, 2020
Dear Thread, This is a serious issue and although i am not an authority in these, i suggest it is more a counselling/therapy situation than it is legal. What i'm about to say was something i heard from Temple Obike one of Nigeria's foremost substance abuse counselors on a practice visit to his office. The "Marchman Act" is a rule in Florida that says family and law enforcement should send an individual to rehab involuntarily if the person poses a threat to himself and the general public. A person struggling with excessive substance intake may not be in the best state of mind to understand what is good or bad for them. Loved ones around them need to step up and be available for them or simply seek the help of an interventionist.
Hope this helped. Check for his details on https://templeobike.com

1 Like

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 10:25am On Feb 03, 2020
eazzzy1:

Not really wrong, your parents has the right to choose what is best for you as long as you remain under their care. Is it better to take a child for therapy or evict the child? I know in Canada once you turn 18 your parents can kick you out of their house.

18 is the age to stand alone, so must 18 year old work and pay rent even if they continue living with their parents. Adulthood is responsibility not just age. If the child lives alone, the parents will not go kidnap him from his house and take him to rehab.

Weed smokers I know are always angry and violent, they don’t know and they think they are just fine. The people living with them are the ones who suffer the consequences. I support rehab, if you want to be stupid live alone.

You have a point but not entirely. If the individual didn't pose as a threat to himself or others then it's wrong to force him to a psychiatric hospital. But just because two of your sons fought each other does not mean they are now both mad and insane and need to be taken to a rehab. Some people have temper issues naturally and that's why the police are there to solve issues of violence. Rehab or a psychiatric hospital is only meant for people who have become unable to manage themselves, who display symptoms of madness.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by eazzzy1(m): 6:26pm On Feb 03, 2020
Slikosliko57:

You have a point but not entirely. If the individual didn't pose as a threat to himself or others then it's wrong to force him to a psychiatric hospital. But just because two of your sons fought each other does not mean they are now both mad and insane and need to be taken to a rehab. Some people have temper issues naturally and that's why the police are there to solve issues of violence. Rehab or a psychiatric hospital is only meant for people who have become unable to manage themselves, who display symptoms of madness.

Why will someone prefer to get arrested instead of being taken to rehab? When you live with a guardian they determine when you are unable to manage yourself.

When I lived with my folks, sometimes I’m sick but I think I can manage, they are the one who insist on me going to the hospital. It comes with the territory, the people who you live with knows when you need help even before you do.

You are assuming that this family throw their son in rehab to punish them which isn’t the true. I’m sure we will never agree on this issue, maybe till you have a son who’s causes you problem. If a 30 year old still lives with their parents and go to club every Friday that’s a rehabable offense in my opinion.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by TheArchangel(f): 7:16pm On Feb 03, 2020
You should be glad your parents can afford rehab. Your mates are left to the harsh elements on the streets for rituals and organ harvests.

1 Like

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Feb 03, 2020
Slikosliko57:
Yes.

Especially as there is proof of psychosis due to the effects of alcohol and weed.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 10:00pm On Feb 03, 2020
eazzzy1:

Why will someone prefer to get arrested instead of being taken to rehab? When you live with a guardian they determine when you are unable to manage yourself.

When I lived with my folks, sometimes I’m sick but I think I can manage, they are the one who insist on me going to the hospital. It comes with the territory, the people who you live with knows when you need help even before you do.

You are assuming that this family throw their son in rehab to punish them which isn’t the true. I’m sure we will never agree on this issue, maybe till you have a son who’s causes you problem. If a 30 year old still lives with their parents and go to club every Friday that’s a rehabable offense in my opinion.

That means every body in the club on a Friday needs rehab. Even some senators go clubbing. Barrack Obama smoked cigarette and ruled a country. Making an arrest is the right thing to do when an individual disturbs the peace, not saying that anyone would prefer that. No, you got it wrong. It wasn't done to punish them. It was done to tame them and make them obey their rules forcefully not necessarily to rehabilitate them. If you're sick, it's responsibility to take care of yourself when you're 30 or above. No one has the right to force you to a hospital. Not all parents are right with their assumption, some parent like to go about things the wrong way just to gain charge over everything. These people I'm taking about here should have the freedom to live until they become a nuisance or a threat in the society. It is then that the police or the law steps in not a rehab centre.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Live Upstairs? Do You Get Shy When You Flush Toilet? / "How I Get Pregnant For The First Time At 40 Via IVF" - Nigerian Lady / Incredible Business You Can Start And Earn At Least Six Figures In A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.