Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,098 members, 7,852,724 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:07 AM

Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself (506 Views)

10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus / How You Can Protect Your Skin From Varicose Veins / Protect Yourself Against Lassa Fever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself by Realtalk20: 6:26am On Feb 03, 2020
To think the virus is not yet in Nigeria is being foolish

Why?

1. Nigeria has the largest number of African migrants in China

2. Nigerian ministry of health said all Chinese foreigners will be quarantined in their homes and hotels! Yes you read that right meaning they will allow probably infected people enter the country take a cab and drive all the way to their home or hotel then instruct them don't leave your house for two weeks grin

3. Since when have you place your life and security in the Nigeria government/ media alertness ? Please just assume this virsus is already here so you can protect your children and spouses.

The number of confirmed cases of the flu-like infection is now more than 17,000, and more than 300 people have died.

Here's a rundown of everything you need to know about coronavirus, and how you can make sure you're protected.

How many people have died?
The death toll in China stands at 362, according to live figures from the WHO and the Centre for Disease Control collated by Johns Hopkins University. That was up 58 from the previous day..

How does it spread?
Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by what are known as "respiratory droplets" from an infected person — the little secretions we generate when we sneeze or cough.

That's why the spread of the virus between people has generally occurred through close contact.

There has been no human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus in Australia so far, with all of the people infected in Australia having recently returned from China.

The overwhelming majority of coronavirus cases can be connected, directly or indirectly, to an illegal wildlife market in Wuhan.

The city, as well as at least 16 other neighbouring cities with a combined population of more than 50 million, have been in lockdown since January 24.

If you have not been to China, your risk of contracting coronavirus is significantly lower.

What are the symptoms?
Many people with the virus look and feel like they have the flu.

The deadly coronavirus is spreading across the globe, with no end in sight — here is a timeline of key events so far and what to expect next.

Those with severe breathing problems concern doctors the most, as early analysis suggests the virus is more likely to be fatal in people exhibiting serious breathlessness.

The median age of people who have the virus is 57 years old.

Authorities believe people with underlying health conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure are more likely to catch it, but healthy and younger people have been infected too.

How do people die from it?
In the most severe cases, the virus causes pneumonia — the infection of one or both lungs — which can be deadly.

Other serious complications include respiratory distress or failure, septic shock, acute kidney injury, virus-induced cardiac injury and secondary bacterial pneumonia.

What's the best way to avoid catching it?
You should be taking every precaution you normally would to avoid catching the flu.

A poster advising people to wash their hands
The WHO says washing your hands is of utmost importance.(Supplied: World Health Organisation)
Keep your hands as clean as possible through washing with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitiser.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces at home, work or school, especially when someone is sick.

There is no need for the general public to wear face masks.

If you have a trip to anywhere in China planned, Australian authorities are now urging you not to travel.

In any case, it is becoming difficult to get there, with a raft of travel restrictions in place within China and airlines reducing or cancelling services.

What should I do if I have recently returned from China?
If you have returned from anywhere in China, not just Hubei province, authorities are asking you to isolate yourself for 14 days.

If your child has recently returned from China, he or she may be requested or required to stay home from school.

'Global health emergency'
The WHO has declared the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency

Cc Mynd44, OAM4J

Re: Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself by popsy2(m): 6:52am On Feb 03, 2020
Ok
Re: Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself by YoungPerson(m): 7:07am On Feb 03, 2020
God bless. I'm in primary and secondary contact with Chinese people everyday.

1 Like

Re: Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself by Realtalk20: 7:14am On Feb 03, 2020
YoungPerson:
God bless. I'm in primary and secondhand contact with Chinese people everyday.

Please please please I repeat, you need to find a way to isolate yourself from others as you could be a primary conduit for spreading this .. that is if you can't avoid Chinese people for now
Re: Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself by YoungPerson(m): 4:16pm On Feb 03, 2020
Realtalk20:

Please please please I repeat, you need to find a way to isolate yourself from others as you could be a primary conduit for spreading this .. that is if you can't avoid Chinese people for now
I know there are at least 3-5 million people like me in Lagos. A bird told me Africans are immune. grin
Re: Crononavirus How You Can Protect Yourself by Realtalk20: 6:45pm On Feb 03, 2020
YoungPerson:

I know there are at least 3-5 million people like me in Lagos. A bird told me Africans are immune. grin

That bird lied to you unfortunately

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Funny Names Of The Corona Virus You've Heard So Far? / More Deaths, No Benefit From Malaria Drug (HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE) In VA Virus Study / Madagascar / Covid-19: President Rajoelina Announces The Discovery Of A Treatmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.