Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,772 members, 7,827,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? (17161 Views)

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? / Post Graduate In Geology Department For A 3rd Class Grad, University Of Ibadan / What Next After A 3rd Class From University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Skywalker5(m): 1:44pm On Jun 13, 2012
ayox2003:

So other qualifications matter when applying to foreign schools? I guess you're in IT, right?

Yea i am in IT. I am not sure 100% , i knew i did 3 certification in Nigeria before i applied.and some school accepted my application. My advise would be to try. most people told me it was not possible when i applied. to be honest.i was applying for fun before i starting seeing positive results. There is no harm in trying. If anyone can get additional qualifications, that's better as i think it help.

3 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by mbulela: 2:50pm On Jun 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
I wasn't referring to job. Even in Nigeria, job is not really about class of degree.
Oga, abi your mailbox dey tag my mails as spam.
you just bone my side.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Skywalker5(m): 2:59pm On Jun 13, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
I wasn't referring to job. Even in Nigeria, job is not really about class of degree.

apologies. i misread your post.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by joanana(f): 4:11pm On Jun 13, 2012
huh?
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by lovejo(m): 4:38pm On Jun 13, 2012
what about those that have only professional certification equivalent of degree that is not grade from first class to pass. Any ICAN holder without former degree should enlighten me.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by bxcode(m): 4:43pm On Jun 13, 2012
Whats wrong in making 3rd class.....certificates won't give you jobs angry angry angry angry
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Eltonluigi(m): 4:43pm On Jun 13, 2012
Feedback- another overrated excuse for doin' poorly.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by kreamstaff: 4:46pm On Jun 13, 2012
Funny enough having been involved in the employment process many a times especially with Nigerian graduates from various Universities, it beats me to say that in many cases the 2.1 graduates have often fallen far below expectation while 2.2 and 3rd class in many cases have outshone their higher rated counterparts when given a chance in tests. Hence I have come to realise that many students have fallen into these categories due to bad rapport with saddist lecturers while many 2.1 graduates actually bribed their way through.

To answer the OP's question 3rd class graduates actually seem to have been unserious despite the tell tale signs, however you must also take into cognisance this issues of bad blood that may have occurred in their time or how else do you explain 3rd class products of Nigerian universities who are outshone their higher class rated professional counterparts today like Wole Soyinka, Falana, Fawehinmi who were probably blaclisted for faliure because they were activists.

3 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Okimski(m): 4:49pm On Jun 13, 2012
Thank God a topic like this came up. Feedback or laziness i am in trouble right now, i end up with a pass. I don't seems to fine any school to go for my PGD in Geology. Can any one please give me an answer to this? Pls am waiting.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by beatricewebb: 4:52pm On Jun 13, 2012
i need a help pls,i started with 2.0 in year 1,second semester 2.7 cgpa 2.40,year 2 first semester 3.24 cgpa 2.80 am in second semester now am looking at the possibility of finishing with even if its 3.50 but not less than 2.1,meanwhile have been schooling with illness even before i entered university an that illness does not allow me to read at all i sruggle an read in pain,if not for this i was suppose to be pursuing first class because i sat for ican professional exams before i join the university most of what am doing in class now is what have done long ago but there is no strenght to do a thorough revise!

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by kreamstaff: 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
Okimski: Thank God a topic like this came up. Feedback or laziness i am in trouble right now, i end up with a pass. I don't seems to fine any school to go for my PGD in Geology. Can any one please give me an answer to this? Pls am waiting.

Unfortunately it is unlikely to find Nigerian Universities that would admit a person with a pass from a Uni into PG courses, I have dealt with some people in a similar situation but what I discovered worked for them was to gain some years of work experience in their area of interest and later apply for a PGD abroad especially the UK. Many more uk uni's (not highest rated) are accepting demonstrable professional knowledge from work experience as a booster to a poor degree result and would gladly give u a trial for a PG cert, if u do well u get on to do d PGD and eventually MSc.

Unfortunately getting the experience is the hard test, knowing Nigeria and its attitude to paper 3rd class and below

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by aneldaking(m): 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2012
marjo: @usetime and Ajanlekoko, i feel both of you. When i entered uni, i had no proper feedback/info. I and my friends mentality was to just do enough to get a 2.2. i rocked the whole first year ( entered thru A levels and so did only 3 years) just doing enough to get by. In my third year it dawned on me that i needed to move up into 2.1 ( i now had info/feedback that had gingered me up). i had a classmate (a married woman NCE holder) who kept preaching to me about getting good grades but i just didn't pay enough attention. I spent the last year swotting like crazy . My grades left me a 3 points short of 2.1. so i ended up with a 2.2. i still kick myself about it cos i have seen my missed opportunities with my 2 eyes. I'm still doing fine professionally but i still wonder how better it could have been with the 2.1.
Usetime has a point, unis need to properly induct students and give them real time feedback on their results/scores so they can make informed decisions. Some might argue this point that even if you have no feedback you are mean to study, that is another discussion. I had a friend who found out he would graduate with a 3rd class. rather than go home to face the wrath of his dad ( a lecturer shocked) he opted for an extra year to improve his grades. He didn't tell his dad he was in 3rd class oh just that he had a carry over. His dad wasn't happy but he finally got a 2.2 and all was well that ended well cheesy. You don't know how embarrassing it is to have a 3rd class agree till you start job hunting sad

in udus we had enough feed back well thanks to usmanu danfodiyo cos if u fail it means u re actually nt ready cos we dnt start a new semester without our whole feed back cos u got to fill ur computer form b4 u bgin a new semester but still yet ooooo weather u get two head hahahahah dey chapters nt cos 2 first class cn nt com out in a unit hahahahahah never its either 1 or none d good tin is dat dey 1 way or d other tell d student dat y is nt possible is cos a 1st class is automatically a lectura in dat scul das usmanu danfodiyo for u well 2nd class nd m thakful to God for dat.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by mikeuz(m): 5:31pm On Jun 13, 2012
It pains me because having a 3rd class in Nigeria is like you never went to school, take a look at job adverts in Nigeria, its all 2.1 not even 2.2. Our institution Are to blame. why offer 3rd class when its worthless, the feedback system, in our institution is terrible, though some students are just lazy, but a Gud feedback system can serve as motivator, for students who are nonchalant, with their studies .Not forgetting some terrible lecturers who hinder students progress with their lust for money, depriving them of their grades.
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by damilola15: 5:32pm On Jun 13, 2012
I didn't do well in my first year in SS 3, my class teacher was not happy and wanted to know what went wrong. I finally sat up.

Back to University. First year went wrong for my set and people failed en mass. I wasn't any better just that I didn't fail. But what I found hard to believe was that some lecturers stood a distance away from the notice board and were making fun of (mocking) students who failed (at least those whose countenance have them away). I was depressed and sat up anyway. I know some students who left the department/school because of the shame.

I can't but wonder what would have become of some people if they had received advise or those stupid lecturers didn't make mockery of them.

I honestly at one time was always afraid of checking my results after the little-less-than-fail grades.

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 13, 2012
bxcode: Whats wrong in making 3rd class.....certificates won't give you jobs angry angry angry angry

If certificates won't give you jobs as you claim, then what would? I laugh when I hear people say stuff like this. Even the 2.1's and 2.2's out there are doomed to spend long years in the job market unless they have decent connections. With a 3rd class degree, even connections wouldn't help you get a good job - unless we're talking about a job in those one-man companies where you'd earn about 35k/month. Anyone that makes a 3rd class would do well to forget about job hunting and go into entrepreneurship instead.

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 13, 2012
If at the end of the semester, ur results in ascending or decending order yields:

"EFE FEED EFE"

Omo! There is wahala oh!

4 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jun 13, 2012
The Nigerian education is quite complicated.
In OAU, faculty of tech/science, you have so many 4 and 5 units courses in year 1 and 2. When you start harvesting D's, E's and F's, then you are in the danger zone cos your course units reduces to 1 and 2 units by the time you get to year 3, 4 and 5. So you would really study hard by getting A's and B's in less unit courses to make up for the low grades in year one to make a 2.2 or 3rd class, might be the reason why OAU graduates many students in the 2.2 class. Most freshers don't even understand how the cgpa system works in their first year

My cuz finished from uniben-engineering, they have less units in the 1st and 2nd year and have bigger units from year 3 upwards, so a student doing bad in early years could work hard and score high in latter years to grad with good grades.

I think that's why some uni abroad will lay emphasis on your performance in the last two years of your first degree programme.

And in a state uni, I won't mention the name. My friend paid and sorted lecturers all through is 4years computer science course to grad with a 2.2.

In my opinion, as an employer of labor, I would rather give a job to an OAU 3rd class than a 2.2 from my friends university.

2 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 13, 2012
I graduated with a third class and have a really good job so?

2 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by AnotherOkija: 6:08pm On Jun 13, 2012
usetime: let's harp on this 3rd c thing again.
like its a guitar we should play. lets strumm its strings some more.

i don't know why universities have this 3rd rate system.
it's utterly detestable.
you can't do master's with it.
can't get a job with it
get lots of stigma with it
need to improve it.

but does anybody just wake up and go thru 4 / 5 years of school
always knowing right from year 2 that theirmaking 3rd c grades??

well in my case not so.

infact--- i believe the feedback system of schools are so poor
that some people got the poor grade by suprise.

on the other hand, if there's a grade lower than fail some body will
aspire for it. paradox - right.

but if you got it bad , third class , pass.

did you know you'd always be bagging it. no lie here.

In my school.. You will surely know if you will end up with a first class or 3rd class by the end of your first year...

This is based on your personal assessment of the course work, teachers, your intelligence quotient, your ability to cheat (and pass) and your weaknesses.

For me, as at my 2nd year semester, I already knew I was a 2nd class lower student for the course.. So I doubled my effort and always hung on the border line between 2nd class lower (50.0) and Second class upper (60.0)... I only managed to slip into the upper group in my final year second semester... In fact, I didn't believe it until I collected my certificate.

In my school, 1 student dies atleast once every two - three years from suicide and thats a guaranteed fact due to poor grades.. they are almost always in their 3rd year.. The last one I remember jumped from a 7 story building girls hostel.. Poor sucker..

Students who are forced to read a course they cant handle nor love normally are able to predict their graduating grade...
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by AnotherOkija: 6:09pm On Jun 13, 2012
lestat: I graduated with a third class and have a really good job so?

I know many 3rd class graduates who applied, wrote tests and beat 2.1 and 1st class grads... Trust me I know some..
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by yamakuza: 6:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
lestat: I graduated with a third class and have a really good job so?

how did you get the job? Was it easy?
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Sanguine77(m): 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2012
Ask somebody who read Political science and you'l learn that 3rd class is a regular occurance wherewith sadist lecturers who'l do everything possible to pull you down and give you low grades. In fact, a 2:1 Pol. Scientist is equivalent to 1st class in other depts. Any dissent?

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Tattooboy: 6:37pm On Jun 13, 2012
yamakuza:

connection.

@op
cuz u ain't serious

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Nosyke(m): 6:38pm On Jun 13, 2012
Sanguine77: Ask somebody who read Political science and you'l learn that 3rd class is a regular occurance wherewith sadist lecturers who'l do everything possible to pull you down and give you low grades. In fact, a 2:1 Pol. Scientist is equivalent to 1st class in other depts. Any dissent?
What facts do you have to support such preposterous assumption?

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Mattex001(m): 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2012
Wel my own sch is quite diff here Uniuyo, feeback on results,tests $cores nd other grade are pasted on resumption of everi new semesta. Its now lef to the $tudnt to take time n acess d infomation that ar pastd n see the areas he/she nid 2 put more efforts on. I am currentli in 2l economics studnt aspiring 2 graduate wit nufin less than a 2.1 curentli makin sure i dnt go below dat grade tru out d session. Som studnt out of ignorance hav neva calculatd their gp b4. So i tink its a problem 4rm d studnt nt 2make efort on findin out his grades in diff courses an try 2 improv on d courses he had nt done well in. Som sch find it as a hassl 2 past results nd score$ whic make studnts 2 relent on mere assuptions of grades u knw u wont get wen d results re pastd.. Aniwais i agree wit u guys dat d feeback/infomations also plays a vital role in d need for studnts 2 imprv gps n gradute wit gud results
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by cardoso111(m): 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2012
Once you fail a subject in Final year you are sure to have a pass degree.The honour is lost
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by fstranger6: 7:15pm On Jun 13, 2012
Naija UNIVERSITY FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18 Nigerian professors were called to sit in an airplane.
When they all sat and the airplane was about to take off,
they were informed that the plane was made by their
own students comprising of Ajanlekoko, Oyb, Gbawe, and all the 2:2 graduates on this thread
All of them quickly ran out of the plane leaving 1 man
who was sitting confidently. Onlookers asked him why he was still in the airplane.
He said, if this plane was made by these dullards, trust me,
it wont even start

I think I agree with the professor

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by AnotherOkija: 7:36pm On Jun 13, 2012
yamakuza:

Nothing in life is easy...

The person I know, wasnt connection at all.. Has worked for companies that 1st class and 2.1 grads can only dream of.. Sometimes, the written grade is a reflection of your effort in school and not your intelligence quotient.. Many 3rd class grads would amaze you with their ability when they apply their minds to anything.. A student who is good at cramming can graduate with a first class degree, that does not make him or her intelligent in that field.. It only means they can soak up alot of info and pour it out verbatim..

2 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by yamakuza: 7:49pm On Jun 13, 2012
Another Okija:

Nothing in life is easy...

The person I know, wasnt connection at all.. Has worked for companies that 1st class and 2.1 grads can only dream of.. Sometimes, the written grade is a reflection of your effort in school and not your intelligence quotient.. Many 3rd class grads would amaze you with their ability when they apply their minds to anything.. A student who is good at cramming can graduate with a first class degree, that does not make him or her intelligent in that field.. It only means they can soak up alot of info and pour it out verbatim..

thanks for the insight.

I'm assuming they gate crashed the tests/interviews cos most "good companies" advertise for 2.2 and above?
Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by sleekcm(m): 8:19pm On Jun 13, 2012
My year 1 in the uni was a nightmare. Most times lectures were combined and held in warehouses! Imagine up to 3 thousand students from engineering and natural sciences listening to one lecturer. My result was decorated with E's and D's, with just a couple of C's and one B. Coupled with some difficult family/financial issues, I found it really hard to focus on the academic side of things. The system back then was really bad as lecturers gave out poor grades so you can come sort them.

My results only started improving from second semester 2nd year. The damage was already done. Had to make A's, B's and couple of C's to augment the lean years. One daft lecturer almost ruined it for me by giving me alongside 8 others an F in a 4th year practical course. This dude just lost our scripts and decided in his almighty wisdom to give us all F's. We had to meet several other lecturers and one well respected Prof before he gave us all E's in 5th year, making the course a carry-over. I made a 2.1 but could have done much better.

1 Like

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 13, 2012
You guys are not aligning your statement to the OPs request.Only true life stories are reported.

My dear when you start grooving, dating campus chicks under mahogany trees, sitting at the back of class during lectures,eyeing one cult guys,not taking notes in class plus relying on one babalawo for help in examinations, your performance is doomed.

2 Likes

Re: When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? by PHIPEX(m): 8:55pm On Jun 13, 2012
I don't get it when people blame the system for getting a third class, there maybe certain exceptions though. As a first year student I knew that every A I made in any course means a first class, B is 2:1, C is 2:2, D is 3:0 while E is pass. I knew that if am to make my target I must avoid certain grades in any course.

Besides, any serious student should be able to calculate his/her GP without the help of the school as soon as a result is published, It keeps that student focused. As I said earlier, there are exceptions to this my believe but most 3rd class graduates got it due to their actions and inactions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Show Off Your Qualifications Here / FG Bans Foreign Trips & Training For Civil Servants / "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.