Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,120 members, 7,863,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:40 AM

A Nairalander Needs Help - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Nairalander Needs Help (762 Views)

Nigerian Man Living In South Africa Needs Help Reconnecting Back Home / Nairalander Needs Advice Regarding Mum And Wife / My Friend Needs Help, Six Children No Male Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander Needs Help by Legend108: 12:43pm On Feb 05, 2020
I have always been a ghost nairalander until i created this account solely for this post. I would deeply appreciate if it makes front page.
It started sometime last year whille i was in school, my dad was in need of money and his friend introduced him to another friend who was an agent of a money lending cooperation inwhich my dad obtained a loan of 200k with a monthly interest of 22k monthly. my dad has been paying this said interest of 22k monthly for the past 10 months consecutively without fail. I got to know of these and I advised him to inquire from the said agent if there is any way we can be paying the capital instead of continuing paying the intrest wich we have clearly paid above the capital in jus 10 months.The response he got was that he has to pay the present month intrest of 22k and the whole 200k together. The thing is things has been on the rough sides and I know how hard my dad labours to pay this intrest monthly which Is not deducting anything from the capital. This all happened last week. This week the said agent and the owner of the cooperation came to our home and made threats of locking up my dad and selling some of our property to recover the money.
They say a problem shared is half solved so dear nairalanders, I need your advice.
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by NGRsenate: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2020
Ha

What’s going on?

That’s a brutal scam!

If my math is correct, the money lender is set to make 221% profit!
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Amanee(f): 1:14pm On Feb 05, 2020
What was your father thinking

The interest rate is crazy shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by lovelybugs(f): 1:20pm On Feb 05, 2020
Wow
Did he sign any legal papers?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Legend108: 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2020
lovelybugs:
Wow Did he sign any legal papers?
No he didnt
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Legend108: 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2020
Amanee:
What was your father thinking
The interest rate is crazy shocked shocked
I don't no
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Legend108: 4:10pm On Feb 05, 2020
NGRsenate:
Ha
What’s going on?
That’s a brutal scam!
If my math is correct, the money lender is set to make 221% profit!
yes, i think
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by NGRsenate: 4:16pm On Feb 05, 2020
Legend108:

yes, i think

I think you should get the police involved but before you do that, if you know any local leader that the money lender fears, you can go and talk to him.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Legend108: 5:24pm On Feb 05, 2020
NGRsenate:

I think you should get the police involved but before you do that, if you know any local leader that the money lender fears, you can go and talk to him.

alryt, thanks
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by cococandy(f): 10:14pm On Feb 05, 2020
Wow. What a scam

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by thorpido(m): 10:41pm On Feb 05, 2020
Your dad must have borrowed from one of these Shylock private money lenders and not a cooperation.
The interest is too high.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Nobody: 11:46pm On Feb 05, 2020
shocked shocked shocked.

Broad daylight robbery. If no legal documents were signed, i guess its time to ball out.
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:13pm On Feb 07, 2020
Lending above certain rates is illegal in places like the US, etc.

We might also have such provisions, here in Nigeria, against usury by the Shylocks of this world.

Try asking a lawyer here on elsewhere.

Going the legal route might be your recourse...
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Winneygirl(f): 2:29am On Feb 08, 2020
That is called "Sharp sharp " loan.
You have to pay the 222k,or continue paying the 22k monthly till you can pay the 222k.
Your Dad knew the terms of this loan before collecting. If he could,he would even collect another one.
I know of someone who borrowed 80k, was paying the interest monthly, then the govt stopped paying salaries so he defaulted in interest payments.
When he resumed repayment, he had backlog of interest plus principal, plus additional interest accumulating every month.
This went on for years that he had paid over 800k,yet the loan shark would not accept the payment of the principal until he cleared all the interest debt.
He eventually engaged the police to settle things between him and the loan shark. Police ruled on his behalf, had him issue a cheque of 80k to the loan shark to close the matter.
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Foodqueen(f): 5:42am On Feb 08, 2020
Don't blame your dad for collecting that loan, it was the only option he had at that time.

Involve the police, for matter like this one out police no de dissappoint.
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Nobody: 6:00am On Feb 08, 2020
Please get an attorney or involve the local police.
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by cococandy(f): 8:55am On Feb 08, 2020
But attorneys cost money. If he can afford an attorney, he might as well have 220k to pay the loan shark.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Acidosis(m): 9:06am On Feb 08, 2020
That's a monthly interest rate of 11%. You have been paying that much because you've made no attempt to reduce the capital. Go to any bank in the world, your interest will remain constant for as long as you make no attempt to pay your capital. What you signed for is to always pay an interest rate of 11% (not 22k) on whatever is left. So when you pay 100k, your interest automatically drops to 11k (i.e. 11% of the balance).

An interest rate of 11% seems high but the reality is that most microfinance institutions in Nigeria offer similar rates (7-10%) with a reducing balance option (fixed interest rate on whatever is left of the loan).

I do not think a money lending firm will demand a fixed rate of 22k even when your loan is as low as 2k.

Get the right information before engaging the services of a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by ifyalways(f): 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2020
He who goes a-borrowing, goes a-sorrowing
Re: A Nairalander Needs Help by Ranchhoddas: 4:00pm On Feb 08, 2020
The borrower is servant to the lender -- Proverbs 22vs7

(1) (Reply)

Good Day To You All Nairalanders / Girl Arrested For Faking Own Death To Avoid Financial Pressure From Mom / Roadmap To Achieving A Permanent Residence In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.