Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,174 members, 7,811,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ (44348 Views)

14 Babies Die At UPTH’s Incubator, Doctors Suspend Surgery Due To Power Outages / 8 Die At Pitcoin Christmas Palliative Sharing Centre In Rivers State / Nigerian Student Volunteers To Help Fight Coronavirus In Nanjing, China (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by seunmohmoh(f): 2:47am On Feb 06, 2020
Wenjun Wang is a resident of Wuhan, the Chinese city at the epicentre of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Ms Wang, a 33-year-old housewife, and her family have remained in the city since it was sealed off on 23 January.

Since then, the virus has infected more than 20,000 people worldwide, leading to at least 427 deaths.

In a rare interview from inside Wuhan, Ms Wang has told the BBC about her family's heart-breaking struggle for survival.

Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, my uncle has already passed away, my father is critically ill and my mum and aunt have started showing some symptoms.

The CT scans shows their lungs are infected. My brother is coughing too, and has some breathing difficulties.

My dad has a high fever. His temperature was 39.3C (102F) yesterday and he's constantly coughing and having breathing difficulties. We got him an oxygen machine at home and he relies on that machine twenty-four seven.He's taking both Chinese and Western medicines at the moment. There's no hospital for him to go to because his case hasn't been confirmed due to the lack of testing kits.

My mum and aunt walk to the hospital every day in the hope of getting a bed for my dad despite their own health situation. But no hospital will take them.

'No one is helping us'
In Wuhan, there are many quarantine points to accommodate patients who have slight symptoms or are still in the incubation period.

There are some simple and really basic facilities there. But for people who are critically ill like my father, there are no beds for them.My uncle actually died in one of the quarantine points because there are no medical facilities for people with severe symptoms. I really hope my father can get some proper treatment but no-one is in contact with us or helping us at the moment.

I got in touch with community workers several times, but the response I got was, "there's no chance of us getting a bed in the hospital".

We thought the quarantine point my dad and uncle went to was a hospital at the beginning, but it turned out to be a hotel.

There was no nurse or doctor and there was no heater. They went in the afternoon and the staff there served them a cold dinner that evening. My uncle was very ill then, with severe respiratory symptoms and started losing consciousness.

No doctor came to treat him. He and my dad stayed in separate rooms and when dad went to see him at 06:30 in the morning, he had already passed away.

'We'd rather die at home than go to quarantine'
The new hospitals being built are for people who are already in other hospitals at the moment. They are going to be transferred to the new ones.But for people like us, we can't even get a bed now, let alone get one in the new hospitals.

If we follow the government's guidelines, the only place we can go now is to those quarantine points. But if we went, what happened to my uncle would then happen to dad.

So we'd rather die at home.

'The infected population is huge'
There are many families like us around, all facing the same difficulties.

My friend's father was even refused by staff at the quarantine points because he had a high fever.

Resources are limited yet the infected population is huge. We are afraid, we don't know what will happen next.

Wang's message to the world
What I want to say is, if I knew they were going to lock down the city on 23 January, I would have definitely taken my whole family out, because there's no help here.

If we were somewhere else, there might be hope. I don't know whether people like us, who listened to the government and stayed in Wuhan, made the right decision or not.But I think my uncle's death has answered that question.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-51379088

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Pierced(f): 3:32am On Feb 06, 2020
This is bad......I pray it doesn't come to Nigerian Sha.

Rip to the dead though

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by fvckchina: 5:03am On Feb 06, 2020
fast fast , go enjoy the 8-day-constructed hospital .hahahahah.

stupid 8-day-built chinese hospital. even chinese know to avoid it.

what use of a hospital built in 8 days?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:57am On Feb 06, 2020
fvckchina:

What's this blockhead saying? I hope you read the above write-up and understood it?
She's simply saying the number of infected people are so much that there's no more available spaces and enough healthcare personnel to admit and take of them respectively.
The new hospital is a 1000-bed facility, and it's equipped with modern facilities. The problem is that the number of people infected are so many that it's difficult to get bed spaces in the hospitals both for treatment and quarantine. Butt hey're still building more. Another 1500-bed facility will be opened today. I think China is doing well.
Concentrate on your bleeped-up country that doesn't even have facilities to quarantine suspected cases, let alone manage over 20,000 infected cases. Most other African countries, except Nigeria, have evacuated and quarantined their citizens. A serious country that cares about it's citizens should have erected a quarantine facility in an isolated place by now.

222 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by fvckchina: 8:14am On Feb 06, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

What's this blockhead saying? I hope you read the above write-up and understood it?
She's simply saying the number of infected people are so much that there's no more available spaces and enough healthcare personnel to admit and take of them respectively.
The new hospital is a 1000-bed facility, and it's equipped with modern facilities. The problem is that the number of people infected are so many that it's difficult to get bed spaces in the hospitals both for treatment and quarantine. Butt hey're still building more. Another 1500-bed facility will be opened today. I think China is doing well.
Concentrate on your bleeped-up country that doesn't even have facilities to quarantine suspected cases, let alone manage over 20,000 infected cases. Most other African countries, except Nigeria, have evacuated and quarantined their citizens. A serious country that cares about it's citizens should have erected a quarantine facility in an isolated place by now.

if you have ebola , would you like dying in your family's arms or dying in a camp?

you should read this article carefully.

that chinese woman said, if her uncle (only a suspect) was not put into the hospital he would not die of real infection,and now her father was a suspect too and she refused to let her father go to hospital.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by doncox: 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2020
Very scary. My question is, how did this virus get born sef? Where has it been since forever or was it cloned? Please those with knowledge of bacteria and virus should tell us more.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2020
Awon die hard people!!

Information reaching us @[color=#006600][/color] says 'A total of 60 Nigerians are living in Wuhan city where the virus broke out from, No Nigerian in China had been infected and we have our brothers and sisters in our prayers everyday not to contact this deadly virus'
Kindly say Amen to this,
if you love your fellow Nigerians pleaseee

We came across this thread showing us the kinda food they eat in Wuhan, China,
We shock no be small......
These are just 4 of the over 10 pics we saw.
We hope Nigerians living in that part of the world do not eat this?!
*Pukes*

Queenzzy:
damn *throws up*
So damn!!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by TheSourcerer: 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2020
Hmm
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by NaijaOlosho(f): 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2020
grin
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Sunnycliff(m): 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2020
China's ban on internet media have led to worse increase in this coronavirus. They shield information. As much as 20000 people have been infected with 1056 deaths. But they keep the death toll less than 500, to deceive the world.

Las Las they are doing themselves as they keep eating rubbish in the name of food.

They do not have enough Medicare manpower. Rather than saying the truth to WHO for assistance they are subtly seeing it as western attacks on them. Wuhan is cut off and mainland Hubei is almost going...

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by NaijaOlosho(f): 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2020
post=86424036:
Reading...

Buhari has failed

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by luminouz(m): 12:19pm On Feb 06, 2020
Sad news
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by superlanny(m): 12:19pm On Feb 06, 2020
Death is inevitable for everyone, we are all born to die, we never tackle Hiv, Cancer, Ebola,here come coronavirus...something tells me there is a conspiracy to reduce Earth's population, and they are starting with the country that has the most population, one way of the other, "something must kill a man or a woman".

13 Likes

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by BrickDevo: 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
Strong, do they need help, i volunteer myself to help them fight the virus even if I will die, maybe that will be my escape route from this shit hole called Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by fynn12(f): 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
See China but one Nigerian stupid Health minister says we are prepared for it

17 Likes

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Horus(m): 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1xWXTFZAvA

Coronavirus: Ten passengers on cruise ship test positive for virus
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by klins4213(m): 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
Hmm. Spaces already occupied and want to build another? This virus case is serious. I hope the have the capable hands to handle too (Dr's)

See signature below and pick a service.
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by wilemer: 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
seunmhomoh:

'The infected population is huge'
There are many families like us around, all facing the same difficulties.

My friend's father was even refused by staff at the quarantine points because he had a high fever.

Resources are limited yet the infected population is huge. We are afraid, we don't know what will happen next.

Wang's message to the world
What I want to say is, if I knew they were going to lock down the city on 23 January, I would have definitely taken my whole family out, because there's no help here.

If we were somewhere else, there might be hope. I don't know whether people like us, who listened to the government and stayed in Wuhan, made the right decision or not.But I think my uncle's death has answered that question.

serious sturvs
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Dopebibs04(m): 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
I buy itunes,Norstdrom,Sephora,Amazon, Ecode, Ebay etc.... Call&Whatsapp: 07062637218
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by mmsen: 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
fvckchina:

I like your username. grin

5 Likes

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Yankiss(m): 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
Very pathetic. I can relate. It's not easy to leave a place one has been all ones life!!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Roon9(m): 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2020
Such nerve

call for our 380wh lithium-ion generator that could power your TV, laptop, and up to 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily.
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Praktikals(m): 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2020
shocked
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by luminouz(m): 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2020
Pierced:
This is bad......I pray it doesn't come to Nigerian Sha.

Rip to the dead though

Don't worry babe...at least you still have our support from the ashewo beer parlour wink

Bad news from China though.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by omoadeleye(m): 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2020
Chinese peoope,, if God can save them from this, they should stop eating those stupid food they always eat,, imagine Chinese people feeding their children tadpoles and one stupid chineCh was even eatune live baby rats and still smiling... E be like say na the curse wey we dey always give them dan dey begin for their heads... Like. "na God go punish this people oo" now see their life

10 Likes

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by fipakir28: 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2020
Praktikals:
shocked
Let's give you a head start on weight loss this valentine.
Get into your 2020 body shape and weight loss immediately with our state of the art technology

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Situation001(m): 12:23pm On Feb 06, 2020
Bad
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by Mistaicey2288: 12:23pm On Feb 06, 2020
Na wah ooo.. But when will this thing end really? Is there any hope in sight about it ending anytime soon? Lord have mercy ooo.
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by AFONJACOW(m): 12:23pm On Feb 06, 2020
Hope this on will teach them a bitter lesson,they should stop eating snake frogs and co

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by nanauju(f): 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2020
Hain
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by FactBoyz: 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2020
grin
Re: Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ by emmabest2000(m): 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2020
The worst part of it right now is that every cities in china are reporting any Wuhan indigenes they know, If your ID card shows that you're from Wuhan city, no matter which city you are , they will send you to quarantine house asap...

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Everything You Need To Know About Sore Throat + Basic Home Treatment / First Case Of Suspected Ebola Discovered In New York City, Usa!!! / Ebola Panic In Ife: OAU Student Quarantined, Confesses Contact With Enemuo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.