Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Why Are Some Parents Like This? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Parents Like This? (2666 Views)

Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much / Why Are Most Parents Like This? / I Wish To Express My Anger And Total Disappointment In Some Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 8:06am On Feb 08, 2020
I'm a volunteer teacher in one of Government Primary School in Lagos. I have this boy admitted this session in my class. The boy has a broken arm (around the elbow). I believe that it was not handled well because it has this offensive odour and it's bringing out pus.
The arm also looks numb and inactive, he is not making use of it.
I asked the boy to call the mother because I wanted to know what she's doing about the boy's situation.

She came and started narrating her ordeal, how she's the only one taking care of the boy, that she's hawking, that she is looking for money to get the boy treated. She broke down completely while telling her story. I was touched by her predicament. I wanted to help but I'm not earning much. I even wanted to bring it here to solicit for help on their behalf but later changed my mind.

I met one lady that works with an NGO and narrated the boy's story to her, she promised to table his matter in their office.

This year, the lady came to our school and asked to see the boy. I called the boy for her, after seeing him, she promised to bring one of her superiors to our school. The next day, they came and met with our Headmistress. They also promised to help but will need the mother's consent. The boy was asked to inform the mother about it.

This Monday, the mother came,i thought that she came to give her consent only for her to tell me that she found a place to take the boy to, that she was told that her son's case is spiritual , that her pastor's wife directed her to the place bla bla bla.

Now, the boy hasn't been in school since then.

I don't know what to do again. I don't know how to convince the mother to let her son get proper treatment. I fear for the boy, the hand may be amputed in future if nothing is done about it. It really that bad.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by dawnomike(m): 8:14am On Feb 08, 2020
Thanks so much for showing this much concern... You have realy tried on your part. Unfortunately, there is little to nothing you can do without the mum's consent. Just let it go and pray the boy is fine.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Nobody: 8:15am On Feb 08, 2020
She might be using her son to dupe people. That fake tears was to make you give her money for the boy’s treatment.

Seems you don’t know what some parents are capable of. Almajiri kids comes to mind.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by popsy2(m): 8:24am On Feb 08, 2020
Nawa o
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:46am On Feb 08, 2020
nazablossom:

This Monday, the mother came,i thought that she came to give her consent only for her to tell me that she found a place to take the boy to, that she was told that her son's case is spiritual , that her pastor's wife directed her to the place

IN MY COUNTRY SPIRITS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR A LOT OF THINGS, AND BROKEN ARMS ARE ONE OF THEM.
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by creolehunt: 8:49am On Feb 08, 2020
The truth is that religion and logic do not and cannot work together. If you accept one, you must have to do away with or largely reduce the application of the other.

That said, the woman in question was probably hoping you will give her cash for the boy's treatment instead of doing it yourself.

Some years ago, there was this lady that drops her sons (2 & 4) off in a shop behind my mom's while she goes to hustle. The lady hawks sachet water in traffic. My mom noticed that the boy's were uncircumcised and asked the lady why and she said that she doesnt have momey for it now. My mom asked what it will cost amd she said 6k which my mom later gave her. Could you believe that those boys are still uncircumcised till this day and they are grown now. The younger one should be about 6.
Some parents can conveniently make money out of their children's predicament without batting an eyelid.

Poverty or wickedness? I don't know.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by faithfull18(f): 8:51am On Feb 08, 2020
It is well o. I feel for the boy, I hope it doesn't turn out bad in future.
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Liliyann(f): 9:07am On Feb 08, 2020
Did the boy fill the bio data form?
There should be a register that has his parent information including where they stay, I really appreciate your effort towards the boy, you can trace the address to make sure the boy is safe, some people can be heartless even to their own child.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 10:51am On Feb 08, 2020
Liliyann:
Did the boy fill the bio data form?
There should be a register that has his parent information including where they stay, I really appreciate your effort towards the boy, you can trace the address to make sure the boy is safe, some people can be heartless even to their own child.
I have their address and I collected the mother's phone number as well, if he doesn't show up on Monday, I will call the mother to know if everything is okay.
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 10:53am On Feb 08, 2020
creolehunt:
The truth is that religion and logic do not and cannot work together. If you accept one, you must have to do away with or largely reduce the application of the other.

That said, the woman in question was probably hoping you will give her cash for the boy's treatment instead of doing it yourself.

Some years ago, there was this lady that drops her sons (2 & 4) off in a shop behind my mom's while she goes to hustle. The lady hawks sachet water in traffic. My mom noticed that the boy's were uncircumcised and asked the lady why and she said that she doesnt have momey for it now. My mom asked what it will cost amd she said 6k which my mom later gave her. Could you believe that those boys are still uncircumcised till this day and they are grown now. The younger one should be about 6.
Some parents can conveniently make money out of their children's predicament without batting an eyelid.

That's it. She believes that someone is after the boy. The boy in question is turning 14 by May and still in primary two. He was not in school for long because of this issue.
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 10:54am On Feb 08, 2020
dawnomike:
Thanks so much for showing this much concern... You have realy tried on your part. Unfortunately, there is little to nothing you can do without the mum's consent. Just let it go and pray the boy is fine.
I pray so. I can't force the woman to accept help.
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 11:53am On Feb 08, 2020
She's using the spiritual reason as an excuse. She doesn't want to pay money for his treatment
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 11:55am On Feb 08, 2020
creolehunt:

Are you comparing non-circumcision to a broken arm?
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by bukatyne(f): 12:04pm On Feb 08, 2020
1Sharon:
She's using the spiritual reason as an excuse. She doesn't want to pay money for his treatment

But they want to treat him for her.

She is not to pay anything, just give consent.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 12:07pm On Feb 08, 2020
1Sharon:
I have found people that will foot the bills, let her give consent shikena

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2020
bukatyne:

But they want to treat him for her.
She is not to pay anything, just give consent.
nazablossom:
I have found people that will foot the bills, let her give consent shikena

Hmm..seems she doesn't want his progress
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 08, 2020
No father?

When filling forms, there is always a place for whom to
contact during emergency if the mother isn't available.
Contact that person.

If non, leave them alone.
U have done your part.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by creolehunt: 12:42pm On Feb 08, 2020
1Sharon:

My point is that the woman probably wanted financial help to deal with the fracture herself and not necessarily medical help.

Would she have taken care of the arm if the funds were provided by OP? I do not know. Hence my reference to the circumcision story.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nlPoster: 1:40pm On Feb 08, 2020
creolehunt:

What's the point of this story of yours? Too much irrelevant gossip here.

@ op

Pray over the matter, preach to the lady and commit the situation to Jesus.

Are you born again and have you accepted Jesus as your lord and saviour?
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by creolehunt: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2020
nlPoster:

@ op

Irrelevant because it doesn't align with your line of thought. Bravo. Why not pray for the boy yourself as a born again?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nlPoster: 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2020
creolehunt:

Irrelevant because it doesn't align with my line of thought. Bravo. Why not pray for the boy myself as a born again?

If you are not mentally alright, dont quote me, thanks,

What kind of meaningless post is both yours and the one in question?
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
nlPoster:

@ op

Nonsense. Keep your white jesus to yourself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by creolehunt: 1:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
nlPoster:

I am not mentally alright, dont quote me, thanks,

Ok

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nlPoster: 1:58pm On Feb 08, 2020
1Sharon:

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 3:12pm On Feb 08, 2020
sassysure:
No father?

When filling forms, there is always a place for whom to
contact during emergency if the mother isn't available.
Contact that person.

If non, leave them alone.
U have done your part.

They are separated. The mother is the only contact we have. I will let them be.
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 08, 2020
nazablossom:
They are separated. The mother is the only contact we have. I will let them be.
Please do. U have tried your best.
Before they will rope u in on what u don't have any idea of.

Your good heart will open many doors for u. The universe recognises and is taking note.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2020
1Sharon:

Nairaland o cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by 1Sharon(f): 4:19pm On Feb 08, 2020
nlPoster:

Keep your slave master to your self kindly fuск off

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Greatzeus(m): 6:32pm On Feb 08, 2020
nazablossom:
I'm a volunteer teacher in one of Government Primary School in Lagos. I have this boy admitted this session in my class. The boy has a broken arm (around the elbow). I believe that it was not handled well because it has this offensive odour and it's bringing out pus.
The arm also looks numb and inactive, he is not making use of it.
I asked the boy to call the mother because I wanted to know what she's doing about the boy's situation.

She came and started narrating her ordeal, how she's the only one taking care of the boy, that she's hawking, that she is looking for money to get the boy treated. She broke down completely while telling her story. I was touched by her predicament. I wanted to help but I'm not earning much. I even wanted to bring it here to solicit for help on their behalf but later changed my mind.

I met one lady that works with an NGO and narrated the boy's story to her, she promised to table his matter in their office.

This year, the lady came to our school and asked to see the boy. I called the boy for her, after seeing him, she promised to bring one of her superiors to our school. The next day, they came and met with our Headmistress. They also promised to help but will need the mother's consent. The boy was asked to inform the mother about it.

This Monday, the mother came,i thought that she came to give her consent only for her to tell me that she found a place to take the boy to, that she was told that her son's case is spiritual , that her pastor's wife directed her to the place bla bla bla.

Now, the boy hasn't been in school since then.

I don't know what to do again. I don't know how to convince the mother to let her son get proper treatment. I fear for the boy, the hand may be amputed in future if nothing is done about it. It really that bad.

It's poverty dear,poverty is bad. It's even worse when you are poor and unhealthy.I am always grateful to God when I look back,with everything I went through, sickness wasn't one of them. Infact God bless me with so much health. The last time I was at the hospital was more than 20 years ago and it was an injury from playing football when I was in Jss.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by nazablossom(f): 9:18pm On Feb 08, 2020
sassysure:

Please do. U have tried your best.
Before they will rope u in on what u don't have any idea of.

Your good heart will open many doors for u. The universe recognises and is taking note.
Amen. Thank you
Re: Why Are Some Parents Like This? by Lamanii22(f): 9:34pm On Feb 08, 2020
1Sharon:

Nah.. Just sighting some instance(s)...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is 'that' Your Choice Of Condom / Discrepancy In Estimated Date Of Delivery (EDD) / What Should This Woman Do? Please Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.