Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much (863 Views)

Why Are Most Parents Like This? / Anyone Who Keeps Virginity Until Marriage Deserves To Brag – Reno / Why Are Some Parents Like This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by TastyFriedPussy: 5:07pm On Nov 17, 2022
I've come to notice that Igbo parents especially, especially more emphasis on the especially, the mother's (not excluding the father's) love to boast alot about the accomplishments of their children alot. Anytime I see Igbos gather together talking, I can't help but notice that majority of their conversations is mostly about each other's child. You'll begin to hear things like

Parent A: my son sef would be graduating from medical school next year. Parent B what about that your son.

PARENT B: Ohh, he's still in 300L he'll be entering 400L next Month.

PARENT C: ohh that's nice. Which school is that sef.

PARENT B: Mazamaza University

PARENT C: ohh wow,that's nice ohh, your son in now a big boy ohhh.....

And so on....

Where I used to work before I quited last month, the woman I used to work for was always bragging alot about her daughters. Both to customer wey ask am, and customer wey no ask am. Sometimes she'll bring her phone to show me pictures of her daughters, yelling me "this one is my first daughter,she'll be finishing NYSC next month, if you see her ehh,you'll think she's 30,she's just 21 ohh".... " this one is my second daughter, she's in 300l,this one if she stands here, her head will be touching here"

Although I'm not hating on anyone, even me sef I'm an Igbo boy but I don't just understand why my people are like that. Everything is like competition for them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Hezzyluv: 5:09pm On Nov 17, 2022
Lol...

Op, I'm not sure you're an Igbo.

But is quote from the greatest book

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth.

Imagine how worrior holding arrows would feel.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by ramaju: 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2022
A time will come when you will realize that the greatest investments are in humans especially our children. Everyone talks with excitement, every good investment with potentials of good dividends. If your parents are not proud of you, i no know again for you.
Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by CYBERSOLDIERSre: 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2022
Because they always train their children very well.

No be born throwaway.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Roboto11: 5:40pm On Nov 17, 2022
CYBERSOLDIERSre:
Because they always train their children very well.

No be born throwaway.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Helpout12345: 5:43pm On Nov 17, 2022
You will understand when you grow more. You are still a small boy now.

By the way, it's not about any tribe or race.

Every parent all over the world brag about their children, especially when the son or daughter is doing well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Pacesetter2021: 5:44pm On Nov 17, 2022
I have no problem of people bragging about their children.

What I do not appreciate is when relatives like uncle's/aunties making their children seem like angelic stars and every other child in the extended family are efulefu set of useless children. That's not good at all.

I have an aunty like that. May God forgive her.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Pacesetter2021: 5:47pm On Nov 17, 2022
ramaju:
A time will come when you will realize that the greatest investments are in humans especially our children. Everyone talks with excitement, every good investment with potentials of good dividends. If your parents are not proud of you, i no know again for you.
Our children should not be our greatest achievement. The people we helped to become somebody, whether or children or not should be our greatest achievement. How God used us to make the world a better place should be our greatest achievement.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by LikeAking: 5:53pm On Nov 17, 2022
Pacesetter2021:
Our children should not be our greatest achievement. The people we helped to become somebody, whether or children or not should be our greatest achievement. How God used us to make the world a better place should be our greatest achievement.

Oga forget this talk...

This world no get joy.. wo don epp u?

Focus on ya sef..

n fam..

All man for him self... That's d bitter truth. No go loose guard.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by LikeAking: 5:55pm On Nov 17, 2022
Personally, I want even talk about my kids...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by chinae(m): 6:11pm On Nov 17, 2022
Every parent will be proud of a well cultured child/children that had accepted to move inline with the notion or picture the parents created/envisaged in their mind's eye before they birthed the kid/kids.
Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by coputa(m): 6:34pm On Nov 17, 2022
Ego, that's the major problems of majority of nigerians.Nigerians are too egoistic.A rich and wealthy Nigerian is easily noticed by the way he talks,walks,and laughs and at the slightest opportunity,he start counting the cars he has,the countries he has travelled to and schools his children are attending overseas.Nigerians are proud lot,it's not only an Igbo affair.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by coputa(m): 6:34pm On Nov 17, 2022
LikeAking:
That's a wise decision
Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by VeryWickedGoat: 6:48pm On Nov 17, 2022
OP na pained Afonja. His kids are at his very own bus stop fighting, drinking paraga and chasing danfo upandan in tattered clothes. Dey no even say make dem go another area to remove shame from their papa eye.

Na wetin dey pain OP be dat. grin

You can never see an Igbo person Bleep up close to home. Even if dey wan do fraud or olosho, dey go far away to avoid shame. Igbo girl go travel to another state for ashawo runz and na inside okay hotel or bar for 20k but shameless Afonja olosho go dey run urgent 2k package right in her father's compound, with his fellow street landlords, mother's church members, siblings friends etc. Dem no dey shame at all.

OP ndo ehn. Next time choose a more dignified tribe to be born into.

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Oizee(f): 8:16pm On Nov 17, 2022
LikeAking:
likewise here

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by LikeAking: 11:44pm On Nov 17, 2022
VeryWickedGoat:
OP na pained Afonja. His kids are at his very own bus stop fighting, drinking paraga and chasing danfo upandan in tattered clothes. Dey no even say make dem go another area to remove shame from their papa eye.

Na wetin dey pain OP be dat. grin

You can never see an Igbo person Bleep up close to home. Even if dey wan do fraud or olosho, dey go far away to avoid shame. Igbo girl go travel to another state for ashawo runz and na inside okay hotel or bar for 20k but shameless Afonja olosho go dey run urgent 2k package right in her father's compound, with his fellow street landlords, mother's church members, siblings friends etc. Dem no dey shame at all.

OP ndo ehn. Next time choose a more dignified tribe to be born into.

Na useless talked like this dey make life hard for Igbos in Nigeria.. Take PO journey for eg.. Na PO ppl like u go ruin am... With useless talks.. Oga take down this post now, u re demarketing d Igbo race.

Show every tribe love, no condem any tribe, no demarket any tribe..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by akwesenana: 3:54am On Nov 18, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
I've come to notice that Igbo parents especially, especially more emphasis on the especially, the mother's (not excluding the father's) love to boast alot about the accomplishments of their children alot. Anytime I see Igbos gather together talking, I can't help but notice that majority of their conversations is mostly about each other's child. You'll begin to hear things like

Parent A: my son sef would be graduating from medical school next year. Parent B what about that your son.

And so on....

Where I used to work before I [b]quited[/b]last month, the woman I used to work for was always bragging alot about her daughters. Both to customer wey ask am, and customer wey no ask am. Sometimes she'll bring her phone to show me pictures of her daughters, yelling me "this one is my first daughter,she'll be finishing NYSC next month, if you see her ehh,you'll think she's 30,she's just 21 ohh".... " this one is my second daughter, she's in 300l,this one if she stands here, her head will be touching here"

Although I'm not hating on anyone, even me sef I'm an Igbo boy but I don't just understand why my people are like that. Everything is like competition for them.

Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by Pacesetter2021: 11:15am On Nov 18, 2022
LikeAking:

Oga forget this talk...

This world no get joy.. wo don epp u?

Focus on ya sef..

n fam..

All man for him self... That's d bitter truth. No go loose guard.

I work based on the precepts of the Holy bible. Thank you for your input.
Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by LikeAking: 2:03pm On Nov 18, 2022
Pacesetter2021:
I work based on the precepts of the Holy bible. Thank you for your input.

I pity u..

Work with reality..
Re: Why Do Igbo Parents Like To Brag About Their Children So Much by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:

And so on....

Where I used to work before I quited last month, the woman I used to work for was always bragging alot about her daughters. Both to customer wey ask am, and customer wey no ask am. Sometimes she'll bring her phone to show me pictures of her daughters, yelling me "this one is my first daughter,she'll be finishing NYSC next month, if you see her ehh,you'll think she's 30,she's just 21 ohh".... " this one is my second daughter, she's in 300l,this one if she stands here, her head will be touching here"

its a matter of trying to feel important and recognised through what their children are doing or who they are

those type of women are you usually housewife nothing personal to brag about besides two things my husband is so & so and my kids are like this and that

Most are known for bragging and gossip, usually they know the inside out of other people

(1) (Reply)

Dried Fish For Sale / Should I Ki*ll My Step Mother? / Hallelujah Challenge And The Hypocrisy Of The Average Nigerian.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.