Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,021 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" (3333 Views)

Working For 1 Hour Shows You Are Employed, NBS Tells Nigerians / I Rather Make N8M A Year Working For Myself Than N82M Working For Someone Else / After Working For A Month, A Teacher Receives This As Salary [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by bmdmixer: 11:10am On Feb 09, 2020
I’ve run my own business, first as a sole-proprietor for nine years, then as a corporation for four. I’ve earned a good income in that time. It’s allowed me to take on interesting projects, travel full-time and work whenever I want.

To many outsiders, it looks like I’m living the fantasy you see on so many “earn money from home” scams advertised online.

Despite all this, I absolutely hate the advice that comes with the saying, “You’ll never be rich working for somebody else.”

This is a little phrase that gets thrown around in some corners of the internet, which glorifies entrepreneurship over employment as a means to wealth, freedom and happiness. The implied advice is that working for somebody else is a sucker’s game, and that if you want to really live, you need to start your own business.
Why This Advice is Dumb

This is terrible career advice.

Don’t get me wrong. I love running a business, and I would recommend it to someone who has the right drive to make it work. But the idea that entrepreneurship is the best route to wealth and freedom is stupid.

For starters, the advice doesn’t even make sense. Many of the richest people I know earned all of their money working for other people. Accountants, doctors, engineers, CEOs and financiers. All working for others, all stinking rich.

Second, even if we ignore that the advice is literally false, the assumption—that entrepreneurship offers a better path to wealth than working for others—is bad economics.
Supply and Demand (or Why Get-Rich-Quick Doesn’t Work)

All career choices are pushed by supply and demand, just like any other purchasing decision. If a career choice is really attractive (because it offers a lot of money, for little effort, low talent and is highly prestigious) it will get a lot of new entrants. Those new entrants will increase competition, push the payoff down, and it won’t be so attractive anymore.

Suppose, for a second, that starting a business really did offer a lot more money for less effort and with fewer barriers to entry than working at a job.

What do you suppose would happen?

Obviously, more people would start businesses! Those businesses would compete. Some might succeed, others might fail. The end result would necessarily be that the average payoff to each new entrepreneur would shrink down until it was no longer so lucrative.

Economists call this stable level of profit that you should earn as a business normal profit. It is contrasted with economic profit, the kind of profit you earn when you’re a monopoly or can otherwise prevent people from competing against you.

Even though you might think to yourself, “all that means is I need to make a monopoly!” this reasoning still doesn’t work.

Everyone chasing those rare unicorn start-ups also create more competition. Since the prize is bigger if you win, it’s also more fierce before you get there, meaning that the average payoff is reduced.

Why People Don’t Earn the Same Amount

This kind of logic might seem to go too far, however. If it were true—wouldn’t all professions pay the same amount?

However, there’s at least three mediating factors that explain why some people earn more than others, even though we can expect the above reasoning to hold:

1. Some career choices have a higher variance.

Some professions have a very narrow range of possible incomes. Being a public school teacher, for instance. Others have huge ranges, say launching a start-up.

This is a problem with assessing entrepreneurship because it has much greater variance than normal professions. This means you will see some people get really rich. However, what you don’t often see, is a lot of people making zero or negative money (once you count the cost of their time and investments).

A risky-profession might return a little more on average, because people tend to be risk-adverse. But all that means is that people would rather have a decent income as a certainty, rather than a random chance at poverty or riches.

2. Some career choices offer other (non-monetary) benefits.

Some careers are sexy and prestigious. Others have legendary job security and.......

more on the article here

http://www.soundlala.com/news.php?id=1367

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by ignis: 11:20am On Feb 09, 2020
Too long...

Please summarize

1 Like

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by IamAmakaa(f): 11:24am On Feb 09, 2020
If the statement is false, why did you still establish a business of your own?

5 Likes

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by bmdmixer: 11:24am On Feb 09, 2020
ignis:
Too long...

Please summarize
not for you

5 Likes

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by WandaNara: 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2020
Nice write up
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by DesChyko: 2:25pm On Feb 09, 2020
I think this is pretty obvious.
Not everyone is meant to open a business.
If everyone does, the cost of hiring employees will climb, making everyone prefer to be an employee.
And the whole circle continues.
Bottom Line is, wherever soothes your desire for yourself..head there.

11 Likes

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Vivonose: 2:31pm On Feb 09, 2020
Being into business or having a career is a personal decision
Not everyone can sustain a business
Just because it works for Mr A doesn't mean it would work for Mr B
Find it strength and work with it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by jom28gy(m): 4:17pm On Feb 09, 2020
so what are you saying in essence
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 09, 2020
This same person will jump at an opportunity to work in chevron. Mumu
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2020
shocked

Point one person that worked all his life for someone, never established a business of his own, never left at a point in time but remained that is a multi billion worth. Not one! Without corruption, you will never amount to great wealth working for someone.

Don't misunderstand my position. Not everyone must stand. Some people were designed to be PILLARS upon which another's success will stand. It does not make you less. It is in understanding your purpose and that fulfillment is not tied to monetary gain remains the surest path to lifelong happiness and contentment.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by bmdmixer: 6:14pm On Feb 09, 2020
NuissancePolice:
This same person will jump at an opportunity to work in chevron. Mumu
must u insult, ode?

1 Like

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by bmdmixer: 6:15pm On Feb 09, 2020
jom28gy:
so what are you saying in essence
the article is grown up not kids

1 Like

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by lilmax(m): 6:20pm On Feb 09, 2020
This is correct
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Angy55(f): 7:18pm On Feb 09, 2020
DesChyko:
I think this is pretty obvious.
Not everyone is meant to open a business.
If everyone does, the cost of hiring employees will climb, making everyone prefer to be an employee.
And the whole circle continues.
Bottom Line is, wherever soothes your desire for yourself..head there.

You nailed it.

1 Like

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 09, 2020
bmdmixer:
must u insult, ode?

Okpo

1 Like

Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by franchasng: 10:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
TheEffective:
shocked

Point one person that worked all his life for someone, never established a business of his own, never left at a point in time but remained that is a multi billion worth. Not one! Without corruption, you will never amount to great wealth working for someone.

Don't misunderstand my position. Not everyone must stand. Some people were designed to be PILLARS upon which another's success will stand. It does not make you less. It is in understanding your purpose and that fulfillment is not tied to monetary gain remains the surest path to lifelong happiness and contentment.
The poster made some valid points and you too made a greater point.

Life is not a competition, people should focus on being happy in whatever they do. And whatever you do in this life, strive to be the best and you will be successful
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by sofiscatedmoron: 11:41pm On Feb 09, 2020
And u will not beg for food while working for someone else
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Joystark(f): 12:01am On Feb 10, 2020
Exactly bruv. cool
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Nobody: 1:08am On Feb 10, 2020
bmdmixer:
the article is grown up not kids

Well, it seems your article is for a lot of kids, because i can't make sense out of ur long post.

Where have u seen a doctor or an accountant (u used as examples above), becoming rich without their personal business (which may include stealing) aside their jobs? Which country in this planet?
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Kingrexyl(m): 5:48am On Feb 10, 2020
IamAmakaa:
If the statement is false, why did you still establish a business of your own?
Please shut up, you know nothing.
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by IamAmakaa(f): 6:56am On Feb 10, 2020
Kingrexyl:
Please shut up, you know nothing.
I'm not the one who put you in your present situation. Please channel your anger elsewhere
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by Kingrexyl(m): 6:59am On Feb 10, 2020
IamAmakaa:

I'm not the one who put you in your present situation, I didn't make your life pathetic. Please channel your anger elsewhere
Me and you who is pathetic? btw are you in your period? cause this is how girls in their periods act. grin
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by bmdmixer: 7:14am On Feb 10, 2020
correctguy0900:

Well, it seems your article is for a lot of kids, because i can't make sense out of ur long post.

Where have u seen a doctor or an accountant (u used as examples above), becoming rich without their personal business (which may include stealing) aside their jobs? Which country in this planet?
read wat he said, that's y i said not for kids beside its not for kids
Re: Stupid Advice: “you’ll Never Be Rich Working For Somebody Else" by bmdmixer: 1:54pm On Feb 10, 2020
Kingrexyl:
Me and you who is pathetic? btw are you in your period? cause this is how girls in their periods act. grin
undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Job In Owerri / Submit Your CV For Graduate Recruitment At Ashville Consulting | Lagos / Maersk Line Graduate Sales Representatives Recruitment 2018 – APPLY NOW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.