Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos (8921 Views)

Why Biodigester And Not Big Septic Soakaway For Your Estate / Construction Of BIODIGESTER SYSTEM SOAKAWAY In Ijebu Ode / Cost Of Sinking A Septic Tank And Soakaway In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 7:56pm On Feb 09, 2020
When I decided to kickstart the project, I turned to Nairaland to gather experiences from experts and previous building projects and to prepare my budget.

So after completion, I decided to add to the wealth of info here (especially 2020 prices) for others.

Best time for building a soakaway is January when the harmattan is max

Challenges faced include limited space (2ft from main building and a low fence), filled up pit (full of clothings, iron and other refuses) that must be excavated and evacuated.
The top of the soakaway would be a drive-in car park and a sit out veranda, therefore need for good reinforcement (iron, granite and good mix)

We start

2 Likes

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 8:04pm On Feb 09, 2020
limited space for a 10x8 soakaway, 12ft depth
on an abandoned fill up pit

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by chatinent: 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2020
Following.
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
Following
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 8:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
2-day planned digging became 4 days because of cave-ins, excavation of clothing and discarded household materials.
We decided to reduce the depth to 10 (to avoid the building side from caving in as well) and stepped the septic side of the hole

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 8:25pm On Feb 09, 2020
Day 3:
While digging was ongoing, materials were already on site
Granite (4 ton), 6" solid blocks (300), sharp sand (full tipper), cement and water supply

Rods and planks also available (not on the pics)

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2020
Day 5:
Block work starts
This pics shows the part of the filled up pit with clothing still hanging out. It was difficult to dig through

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2020
Day 6:
Coming up from the ground

The formwork for the cross beam to be done later

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 8:43pm On Feb 09, 2020
Day 7:

Cross beam set and blockwork completed on Day 8

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 9:00pm On Feb 09, 2020
Day 9:

For those wondering, where the hell are the pillars?

The idea was to set a basket and pour the pillars at each corners so that the top weight would be solely on the pillars and independent of the block works to carry the weight of the car
y16 rods will bear the weight

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by Homeboiy: 9:02pm On Feb 09, 2020
Good
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 9:57am On Feb 11, 2020
Day: 11

Top slab formwork starts

Work extended to 2 days as we ran out of plank and rod (extra one each)

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 11:36am On Feb 11, 2020
Day 13: Soakaway/septic delivered

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by JustCryptos: 2:26pm On Jul 20, 2020
ITbomb:
When I decided to kickstart the project, I turned to Nairaland to gather experiences from experts and previous building projects and to prepare my budget.

So after completion, I decided to add to the wealth of info here (especially 2020 prices) for others.

Best time for building a soakaway is January when the harmattan is max

Challenges faced include limited space (2ft from main building and a low fence), filled up pit (full of clothings, iron and other refuses) that must be excavated and evacuated.
The top of the soakaway would be a drive-in car park and a sit out veranda, therefore need for good reinforcement (iron, granite and good mix)

We start

Sorry what do you mean by a low fence? I've started my own building and I'll be doing my soakaway in few weeks.
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by JustCryptos: 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2020
Also, can you please provide a cost breakdown of how much you spent?
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 7:23am On Jul 21, 2020
JustCryptos:

Sorry what do you mean by a low fence? I've started my own building and I'll be doing my soakaway in few weeks.
About 5 coach fence (3 coach surface)
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by Carmal90(m): 3:00pm On Aug 27, 2021
ITbomb:

About 5 coach fence (3 coach surface)

Hello,
Is it a must i use pillar on the soakaway??
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 5:06am On Aug 28, 2021
Carmal90:

Hello,
Is it a must i use pillar on the soakaway??
To withstand the soil pressure from caving in and support for top decking , yes you need pillars

1 Like

Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by jp130(m): 12:47pm On Aug 28, 2021
Plz how many rods did u use for d slab alone?
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by ITbomb(m): 6:36am On Sep 23, 2021
jp130:
Plz how many rods did u use for d slab alone?
I don't remember but I bought 10 y12 rods for foundation, middle beam and slab
And 6 y16 rods for the corner pillars
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by SomiNJ: 10:20am On Jan 15, 2022
please what is the dimension of the soakaway pit
Re: Building Of A Septic/soakaway In 13 Days - Photos by Joshcoli(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2022
Thank you for this thread

I will follow exactly how you did here no need of engaging any engineer

Here's a link to my own project

https://www.nairaland.com/5131058/3-bedroom-bungalow-shimawa#77492542

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Don't Miss Out On Lekki Palace Estate Before Eleko Junction Ibeju Lekki / Thread tank stand construction by New Pace Services. 07032fourfour6904 / HOW MANY MILLIONAIRES DO U NO WHO HAV BCOM WEALTHY BY INVESTING IN SAVINGS ACCT?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.