Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Am I Overrated - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Am I Overrated (707 Views)

Overrated Courses In Nigerian Universities / Is University Education Overrated? / Is Intelligence Overrated: What You Really Need To Succeed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Am I Overrated by beejaei: 8:34am On Dec 15, 2010
I was really good at Math in secondary school. It came naturally and very easily to me. I have always excelled academically, but I am fairly lazy. So I assume much of my academic success is due to "talent," not hard work. While I was at Ife, I continued my laissez faire attitude and was on my way to a 2.2 before I cam to the US. In my first year in the US, since it was a new environment and my scholarship was tied to academic success, I was serious with my school work. I subsequent years, since I realized that my small college is not as challenging as my high school in Nigeria, I slacked but still maintained a good GPA. So basically, I always have excellent academic records, but I still doubt my capabilities. I feel like I have not been tested with real intellectual and academic rigor. People routinely tell me that I am first-class material, or that if I found myself in Harvard or MIT, I will do just as well. I do not know what to make of that given what I know about my work ethic. The only time I stop being lazy is when I face a new challenge, like taking a class in a nearby tougher school or going to another big school for research. But once I have "conquered" a task once, I am not naturally motivated to give it my best again.

I have always dreamed and fantasized about attending college in an academically rigorous and intellectually stimulating environment. Unfortunately, my present school makes OAU look like University of Cambridge or Harvard. In fact, the only reason I am not regretting leaving OAU is that there are opportunities in ther US that are not in Nigeria. In terms of quality of education, OAU offered 100X more than my present college.

Well, I plan to apply to graduate schools for a PhD in Electrical Engineering (Control Systems) in the next year. I am not sure where my level is in terms of schools to apply to. I am a very pragmatic person. If I find out that certain schools are beyond my reach, I will either work to bring myself to that level or opt out. No need to deceive myself. In this process of applying to these schools, I am sure up to the level of my dream schools: GATECH, MIT, Stanford etc. Can I get in? I can get the necessary requirements (GRE, GPA, research experience etc), but am I intellectually god enough f0or these schools, or am I just a glorified big fish in small pond who gets lucky pretty often. Will I be able to adjust to the academic rigor on offer at these schools? I scored a Quant: 800 and Verb: 750 on the GRE. What does that same about me? GRE Math is at the level of JSS3 so I am not too excited. What I really need is an opportunity to weigh myself against the very best and see where I fit. There is not motivation, competition, or challenge in my college so I do not know if those around me just overrate me or if they see some potential in me that can blossom on a bigger stage.

Please contribute from your life experiences and understanding of my situation.

I know one or two people are pursuing PhDs (dayokanu, Jarus, daviddylan etc). Your input is sought for and welcomed here.
Re: Am I Overrated by Eseries(m): 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2010
@beejaei, pls I need 2 talk 2 u, facing similar situation . My mail is josyjoe98@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

How To Pass Mcitp Certification Examination In A Sitting / Any Info On Unilag Dli / Jamb: Did U Thumbprint B/4 U Allow To Enter The Exam Room?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.