Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Is University Education Overrated? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is University Education Overrated? (8376 Views)

Overrated Courses In Nigerian Universities / Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? / The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is University Education Overrated? by deleo16(m): 4:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
Every year thousand of youth flock JAMB office all in the name to a be a graduate after 4 years or 5years that they will later be thrown in the labour market in which few will end up getting a job security while some will be left to further , so as to get a better or lucrative job.

The school knows that not all can have a good grade to fight for outside even those that have the grade where is the Job here in nigeria, where unemployment is always on the rise hitting 21% or more . My Question is why cant the school curriculum be change to meet up with todays changing technology,more pratical and entrepreneurship skill in your field of passion, or is it compulsory that everbody goes to univeristy?

www.kobostart.com/sucess-motivation/university-education-is-way-so-overated-why-my-children-will-not-go-to-university-if-i-have-my-way/?wpmp_tp
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by deleo16(m): 4:51pm On Jul 09, 2012
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ishmael(m): 8:37pm On Jul 09, 2012
deleo16: every year thousand of youth flock jamb office all in the name to a be a graduate after 4 years or 5years that they will later be thrown in the labour market in which few will end up getting a job security while some will be left to further , so as to get a better or lucrative job, the school knows that not all can have a good grade to fight for outside even those that have the grade where is the Job here in nigeria, where unemployment is always on the rise hitting 21% or more . my Question is why cant the school curriculum be change to meet up with todays changing technology,more pratical and entrepreneurship skill in your field of passion.or is it compulsory that everbody goes to univeristy?www.kobostart.com/sucess-motivation/university-education-is-way-so-overated-why-my-children-will-not-go-to-university-if-i-have-my-way/?wpmp_tp
Polytechnic education is what nigeria and nigerians need presently for economic and technological growth. Unfortunately this is the type of education they look down at.

14 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Emmy3(m): 4:47am On Jul 29, 2012
ishmael: Polytechnic education is what nigeria and nigerians need presently for economic and technological growth. Unfortunately this is the type of education they look down at.
my bro, u don reach here?

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ishmael(m): 8:27am On Jul 29, 2012
Em-my:

my bro, u don reach here?
Laffss. I first u reach sef.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 03, 2012
Everything in life is somewhat overrated, depending on how you look at it..

And since, university education is a means to an end - and not the end itself, it's going to be overrated to some people and underrated to some people - depending on their achievements.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Freiburger(m): 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2012
@ topic, i think so, most especially in developing countries.

2 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Afam4eva(m): 5:18pm On Aug 03, 2012
The educational system is giving Nigerian students a false hope. People should know that attending a university does not guarantee them a bright future. With the way people stampede their way into universities these days, one would think that there's a gold mine waiting for them when they graduate.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 03, 2012
I wouldn't say it is over-rated, though I'd very much agree to a modification of the curriculum to suit present-day needs.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by toluxa1(m): 5:32pm On Aug 03, 2012
deleo16: Every year thousand of youth flock JAMB office all in the name to a be a graduate after 4 years or 5years that they will later be thrown in the labour market in which few will end up getting a job security while some will be left to further , so as to get a better or lucrative job.

The school knows that not all can have a good grade to fight for outside even those that have the grade where is the Job here in nigeria, where unemployment is always on the rise hitting 21% or more . My Question is why cant the school curriculum be change to meet up with todays changing technology,more pratical and entrepreneurship skill in your field of passion, or is it compulsory that everbody goes to univeristy?

www.kobostart.com/sucess-motivation/university-education-is-way-so-overated-why-my-children-will-not-go-to-university-if-i-have-my-way/?wpmp_tp

21%? E pass well o
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Kemy11(m): 5:37pm On Aug 03, 2012
Who cares

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 03, 2012
ishmael: Polytechnic education is what nigeria and nigerians need presently for economic and technological growth. Unfortunately this is the type of education they look down at.
look at dis silly entity...d poster just made mention of more entrepreneuship courses being introduce into our schools....nd who told u dat polytechnics are good training ground for entrepreneures?universities has d best prof/lecturer,best learnin environment...little wonder d so calld poly studnt abandon dia studies thy dnt mind takin jamb again just to see dat thy secure admission into universities.....hnd and nd cert are just next to ssce almost d same...dangote was just referring to them in that his driving job vacancy....
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Lordave: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2012
If you no wan go university leave am na ah ah. Dem de force you?

3 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by lafuria1(m): 5:47pm On Aug 03, 2012
University education isnt overrated, it is the govt policies thats affecting it. Many industries have closed down or ran away leavin pple jobless. The unemployment we have in nigeria today is not because the graduates are unemployable but there are no companies to employ them. We keep importin things that we can make here thereby exportin jobs. Until we decide to b an industrilized nation, employment rate will keep rising Common part time jobs is hard to come by. After graduting 50,000 student in a year and 2yrs after only 5,000 have a good job, y wont a university degree look overrated.

5 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by megawax8: 5:48pm On Aug 03, 2012
shymmex: Everything in life is somewhat overrated, depending on how you look at it..

And since, university education is a means to an end - and not the end itself, it's going to be overrated to some people and underrated to some people - depending on their achievements.

well said!
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by megawax8: 5:50pm On Aug 03, 2012
mikeoh: look at dis silly entity...d poster just made mention of more entrepreneuship courses being introduce into our schools....nd who told u dat polytechnics are good training ground for entrepreneures?universities has d best prof/lecturer,best learnin environment...little wonder d so calld poly studnt abandon dia studies thy dnt mind takin jamb again just to see dat thy secure admission into universities.....hnd and nd cert are just next to ssce almost d same...dangote was just referring to them in that his driving job vacancy....
ur jst ignorant

8 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Freiburger(m): 5:51pm On Aug 03, 2012
Thats true, the government only spend money training professionals at the university who will be looking abroad for a better opportunity as soon as they graduate.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by bizboy01(m): 5:59pm On Aug 03, 2012
In anything we do in life... we require some bit of education and most important need of achievement is knowledge... Nigerian universities are lacking in quality knowledge and skills..that is why there are more unemployed instead of entrepreneurs.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Originakalokalo(m): 5:59pm On Aug 03, 2012
mikeoh: look at dis silly entity...d poster just made mention of more entrepreneuship courses being introduce into our schools....nd who told u dat polytechnics are good training ground for entrepreneures?universities has d best prof/lecturer,best learnin environment...little wonder d so calld poly studnt abandon dia studies thy dnt mind takin jamb again just to see dat thy secure admission into universities.....hnd and nd cert are just next to ssce almost d same...dangote was just referring to them in that his driving job vacancy....

if this guy is a university graduate,then i think university education is realy over-rated.just look at his level of reasoning.on my God!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by yemmyma: 6:09pm On Aug 03, 2012
It is not overrated, the problem is, in Nigeria everybody wants to go the university. Too many people chasing few spaces

Why not diversify the education into vocational, polytechnics and what not.

Children are not brought up to be creative with their hands. Primary schools are flooded with half baked secondary school leavers as teachers without training.

Vicious circle i'd say.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by mykh01(m): 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2012
as 4 me i tink is highly overated.dere r lot of pple wu r practically gud but due 2 d fact dat dey got no university education dey were not given dere position in d society
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ebamma(m): 6:20pm On Aug 03, 2012
many people in nigeria attend university just because the need the certificate not because the really love to learn

4 Likes

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ebamma(m): 6:24pm On Aug 03, 2012
without people learning from a university,you wouldn't have enjoyed this internet connection you are enjoying,so how can you be saying that university education is over rated
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Sogo10: 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2012
University education is gud.it is not just working in naija.d practical is zero.and dat is where d money is.u dont need to work more than years under somebody,if u av a very sound university education.i dont need ur grade.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ebamma(m): 6:26pm On Aug 03, 2012
that blackberry you are using to ping was created by people who learned from a university,so how can you be saying that university education is over rated
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ebamma(m): 6:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
that facebook you are enjoying was created by someone who learned from a university,so how can you be saying that university education is over rated

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by emisun(m): 6:29pm On Aug 03, 2012
it's something more of a trend than its actual practical need.
Re: Is University Education Overrated? by ebamma(m): 6:30pm On Aug 03, 2012
you stay in nigeria and watch your favourite premier league team playing live in england,without people learning from a university,will that have been possible.

1 Like

Re: Is University Education Overrated? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 03, 2012
No it is not.

University Graduates still out earn high school/secondary school graduates on average in the world today. On a personal level, a university degree might not be the way to go, circumstances differ; a college prof i know used to say if u want to be an entrepreneur get yourself a headstart by not going to college. But my dear prof was even wrong, research shows that entrepeneurs who get a minimum of a college degree out earn high school graduates who dont. College graduates on the average tend to have better managerial skills etc

It's easy to cite Steve Jobs, Bills Gates and Mark Zuck but they are all generational outliers, majority of us aren't like them; we are all sucked right in the middle of the curve and we damn need those damn degrees to work for the hot shot entrepreneurs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Weac 2015/2016 Result Out, Check And Upgrade... / Apply For University Of Sheffield Dan Walker Journalism Scholarships, UK / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.