Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Author Of The Fugitive Offender: The Story Of A Political Prisoner Has Passed On - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Author Of The Fugitive Offender: The Story Of A Political Prisoner Has Passed On (1430 Views)

Uzodimma Iweala, Author Of "Beasts Of No Nation" / The Last Wolf Series : The Forgotten Mate (December 2015 Story of the Month) / Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Author Of The Fugitive Offender: The Story Of A Political Prisoner Has Passed On by Orikinla(m): 9:29am On Dec 16, 2010
Author of the Fugitive offender: The story of a political prisoner, and one of the greatest leaders of democracy in Africa, Chief Anthony Enahoro passed away yesterday. He was 87.

Chief Enahoro’s record as the youngest Editor of a mainstream Nigerian newspaper Southern Nigerian Defender at the young age of 21 in 1944 remains unbroken even in the computer age of the 21st century. The Southern Defender was published by the great African leader and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, the first President of Nigeria. He was also the Editor of Dr. Azikiwe’s Comet in Kano from 1945-49, Associate Editor, West African Pilot, Lagos and Editor-in-Chief Morning Star, 1950-53.

Chief Enahoro joined the great Chief Obafemi Awolowo and other nationalists to form the Action Group party and was the Chairman and Secretary in Ishan Division Council; member Western House of Assembly and later member of the Federal House of Representatives in 1951. He was appointed the Minister of Home Affairs in the old western region. He was the Opposition spokesman on Foreign policy and Legislative Affairs in the Federal House of Representatives, 1959-63. In 1953 he attempted the first motion for the independence of Nigeria in the Nigerian Parliament.

Chief Enahoro was accused of treason as an accomplice of Chief Awolowo, but he escaped to the United Kingdom in 1963. He was extradited from the UK and joined Chief Awolowo in prison, but he was released by the Military Government in 1966.

His memoirs Fugitive offender: The story of a political prisoner chronicled this period of his colourful life.

His last herculean battle was against the tyrannical dictatorship of the despotic General Sani Abacha as the Chairman of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), the frontline pro-democracy group that protested against the military junta of the Abacha from 1994-1998.

Chief Anthony Enahoro will be remembered as one of the founding fathers of the Republic of Nigeria and one of the heroes of Nigerian democracy.

~ By Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima,
The Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle (CLSC), NY, USA.

Re: Author Of The Fugitive Offender: The Story Of A Political Prisoner Has Passed On by talk2ahmed(m): 8:06pm On Dec 16, 2010
yes , i heard this in the News. Wish him safe rest at the world beyond. Thot i was going to catch your face at the GCLF 2010 in PH, I didnt c your shadow! tooooooo bad.
Re: Author Of The Fugitive Offender: The Story Of A Political Prisoner Has Passed On by Orikinla(m): 2:38pm On Dec 26, 2010
talk2ahmed:

yes , i heard this in the News. Wish him safe rest at the world beyond. Thot i was going to catch your face at the GCLF 2010 in PH, I didnt c your shadow! tooooooo bad.

I had no time for the Garden City Literary Festival. One of the organizers, Koko Kalango knows how to reach me.
Re: Author Of The Fugitive Offender: The Story Of A Political Prisoner Has Passed On by talk2ahmed(m): 6:58pm On Dec 28, 2010
, Ok. Ur numb, so i can reach u on a 101 basis, i want to learn some more.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Critically Aclaimed Writer And Human Rights Activist Jerry Uhuo / Political Promises And Actual Performances: Exploring The Attitudes Of Nigerian / The New York Times Names The Heir To Chinua Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.