Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,500 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? (2047 Views)

Which City In The East Can Compare To This? / Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? (as Seen On Quora) / Level Of Transformation Of Owerri City Is Amazing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by SKYQUEST(m): 12:14pm On Feb 19, 2020
I live in Nairobi but I travel 3 - 4 times a year so I do believe that I have some credibility to answer this question.

Airport

Murtala Muhammed International Airport (Lagos) vs. Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (Nairobi): there’s no comparison. JKIA is larger, cleaner and more organized than MMIA. The visa process in JKIA is also easier

Weather

Nairobi’s climate is mild and dry due to high altitude even though it straddles the equator (average is 23° / 14°). Temperatures in Lagos is hot and oppressively humid (average 32° / 24°)

Power

Most Nairobians do not own a generator because it is unnecessary. There are power blackouts but one of more than 4 hours is uncommon and maybe happens 1 - 2 month. Additionally, power is available in the lower income areas. Everyone in Lagos has a generator because power is off more than 50% of the time

Fuel

Nigeria is one of the leading exporter of crude oil but has to import diesel/petrol since their refineries are barely working. For various reasons, there are frequent stockouts of diesel and petrol although to be fair it has improved a lot in the last 2 years. Nairobi has not had a major petrol/diesel stockout in 5 years

Rent

In Nairobi, you pay first month, last month and one month deposit to move into a rental unit. In Lagos, you have to pay 2 years upfront

Environment

Lagos is a concrete jungle without a shred of greenery. Nairobi is the Green City in Sun with a lot of greenery and even a forest (Karura Forest) within the city limits

Traffic

Both Nairobi and Lagos suck equally

Hotels

Because Kenya has no oil, one of the major industries is tourism so there’s been a lot of investment in hotels and all levels. Most international chains have hotels in Nairobi. A few international chains have now a presence in Lagos (for a long time it was pretty much Eko Hotel) so this has improved.

Road infrastructure

Lagos does have better road infrastructure than Nairobi, although Nairobi is catching up with the building of the bypasses

Food

If you are a fan of spicy food and seafood then Lagos is the place to be. Nairobi food can be somewhat bland but this is a very subjective topic. I think there are more restaurants per capita in Nairobi since Kenyans eat out more than Nigerians.

Nightclubs

Lagos has many more higher end nightclubs than Nairobi and Nigerians dress up when they go out. Kenyans are very casual and frankly dress badly. It is common to find most people in a Nairoib club in jeans and sneakers whereas no self respecting Nigerian would roll like that to a club. One major cultural difference is that in Nairobi, women go to nightclubs by themselves or with their buddies and will entertain themselves and buy themselves drinks. This is for both single AND married women. In Lagos, it much less common for women (especially married) to go out by themselves unless accompanied by boyfriend/husband/brother. Also, a Nigerian woman will not pay for her own drink

I hope you enjoyed the synopsis of Lagos and Nairobi.

Edit: Ambrose Ukwuegbu asked me to add 16 other indices to compare Nairobi (Kenya) and Lagos (Nigeria). I’m not an economist nor an expert but I’ll give it a shot with 8 of the 16, Ambrose. Others are free to add to this. Note this is exercise is not to say which country but to compare in what areas each country can look to each other (or not) to improve itself. For example, I wish Kenyans would like at how Nigerians are proud of their country and culture and Nigerians can take an example of how a more diversified economy like Kenya’s would work for them.

Corruption: both Kenya and Nigeria are equally bad. They are ranked 143 rd and 148th by Transparency International’s 2017 Corruption Index. Nigeria has been improving though since it used to be in the bottom 5, so it’s trending upwards whereas Kenya is either plateauing or trending downwards
Strong Institutions: Kenya’s judiciary annulled a presidential election in 2017. Although I visit Lagos often I don’t live there so my view on this wouldn’t be an educated one.
Transparency in doing business: according to the World Bank’s 2019 Ease of Doing Business Index, Kenya is ranked 61st and Nigeria 146th
Patriotism and nationalism: this answer is anecdotal but Nigerians are far more patriotic and proud of their culture than Kenyans are. The are proud of their food, dress, movies, etc. They export their culture much more readily than Kenyans do. It helps that the population is 5 times that of Kenya but I still think the Nigerian culture is more exportable because it is more identifiable. The knock on Kenyans is that we just ape Western ways which I somewhat agree with
Healthcare and welfarism: this is a complex topic because healthcare is complex. You can compare public health vs. private health and frankly I am not erudite enough on this topic
Election rigging and selection: a lot of election rigging in both countries but my general perception is that it is getting better in both countries
Judiciary and independence: the Kenyan Supreme court annulled a presidential election in 2017. They are becoming more and more independent but perhaps not as fast as Kenyans would like them to be. I do not know much about the judiciary in Nigeria
Religious conflicts and dogmatism: Boko Haram vs. Al Shabaab. Boko Haram is the bigger threat since they are based within the borders of Nigeria whereas Al- Shabaab are mostly in Somalia. Also their aims are quite different. Boko Haram wants to establish its own country and hive off a chunk of Nigeria, whereas Al Shabaab basically wants Kenyans to keep out of Somalia. It's important to note that Boko Haram is much less of a threat in Lagos than Al Shabaab is in Nairobi. Nairobi has been a victim of several Al Shabaab attacks while I'm not aware of any Boko Haram attacks in Lagos.

...........by Fred Opere

2 Likes

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by mdokaba1(m): 1:16pm On Feb 19, 2020
I find this useful, as i will be in nairobi in two days time by His grace. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Thablownmindset: 4:51pm On Feb 19, 2020
mdokaba1:
I find this useful, as i will be in nairobi in two days time by His grace. Thanks

do make sure to represent Naija well, all the best and the Lord will be your light

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by mdokaba1(m): 1:17am On Mar 01, 2020
Update:
I am in Nairobi, Langata road precisely. You analogy is right. Nairobi never sleeps. I so love it here.

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Stewart883(m): 10:59am On Mar 01, 2020
mdokaba1:
Update:
I am in Nairobi, Langata road precisely. You analogy is right. Nairobi never sleeps. I so love it here.

Did u see women with big asses grin Them plenty for Nairobi Wella. I personally love big Butts so Kenya is the place to be followed by Uganda,those women got it well. The major thing I hate about Nigerian women is that the man must do everything for them but not Kenyan women (they are very independent). Nigerian women sucks angry

6 Likes

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by dep07(f): 3:00pm On Mar 01, 2020
Stewart883:

Did u see women with big asses grin Them plenty for Nairobi Wella. I personally love big Butts so Kenya is the place to be followed by Uganda,those women got it well. The major thing I hate about Nigerian women is that the man must do everything for them but not Kenyan women (they are very independent). Nigerian women sucks angry
I hope you won't mind when your Kenyan woman will go to the club from work and come back late @ night.Bro be careful of what you wish for.

2 Likes

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by mdokaba1(m): 8:05am On Mar 02, 2020
Stewart883:

Bros no be lie. Kenya babes gather ass for Africa. Gosh! they got more class, taste and composure than naija babes.

Was in club 1864, in Langata and noticed more ladies (clean babes o!) than guys. Bros, they came on their own o! and not litching on some guy.

I noticed they go to clubs and eateries and buy stuff from their pockets o!. Naija babes got to learn the independent mindset from the kenyans.

My Ugandan colleagues said kenya babes have got no butts when compared to theirs.

Bros! I got to be back to Nai men!

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by mdokaba1(m): 8:08am On Mar 02, 2020
dep07:
I hope you won't mind when your Kenyan woman will go to the club from work and come back late @ night.Bro be careful of what you wish for.

This happens alot in Nai, was in various clubs and and i see presumably working class ladies come to club with official attires. I like the mindset of the ladies here.

2 Likes

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Stewart883(m): 9:43am On Mar 02, 2020
mdokaba1:

Bros no be lie. Kenya babes gather ass for Africa. Gosh! they got more class, taste and composure than naija babes.

Was in club 1864, in Langata and noticed more ladies (clean babes o!) than guys. Bros, they came on their own o! and not litching on some guy.

I noticed they go to clubs and eateries and buy stuff from their pockets o!. Naija babes got to learn the independent mindset from the kenyans.

My Ugandan colleagues said kenya babes have got no butts when compared to theirs.

Bros! I got to be back to Nai men!

Hahahaha I no tel you? We Nigerians need to travel and see other cultures... What baffles me is where the Nigerian women got this entitlement mentality from They always want a man to do everything damn thing for them angry

5 Likes

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by mdokaba1(m): 10:01am On Mar 02, 2020
Stewart883:

Hahahaha I no tel you? We Nigerians need to travel and see other cultures... What baffles me is where the Nigerian women got this entitlement mentality from They always want a man to do everything damn thing for them angry

This was really an eye opener for me. I think i may now start having issues with naija babes and their entitlement mentality.

Meanwhile, Big Nyash, cup cake bwest are my new found specs grin

Thanks bro for the heads-up. Ethiopia is next for me. Those Ethiopian Air hostess wee not kee me grin.

2 Likes

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Stewart883(m): 2:53pm On Mar 02, 2020
mdokaba1:

This was really an eye opener for me. I think i may now start having issues with naija babes and their entitlement mentality.

Thanks bro for the heads-up. Ethiopia is next for me. Those Ethiopian Air hostess wont kee me grin.

Hahahaha. .More speed to u my Guy

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by nlPoster: 4:15pm On Mar 02, 2020
Where are the Nigerian women in Kenya?

I dont like the way some Nigerian miscreants are trying to malign them.

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Mizwisdom(f): 5:13pm On Mar 02, 2020
The first thing a Nigerian man does in any Country he visits is to have Sexx with prostitutes, then afterwards tell all. What do you call these type of males?

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by iamdannyfc(m): 9:16am On Mar 03, 2020
Comments here are very funny cheesy
meanwhile

i have a used boat for sale at affordable price around lekki, you can come to check it yourself for proper inspection.

I also have with me engineers that can repair any boats at a very cheap price

If interested you can call/whatsapp 08062691597
Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Hardequnle: 5:01pm On Jan 17, 2022
mdokaba1:

Thanks bro for the heads-up. Ethiopia is next for me. Those Ethiopian Air hostess wee not kee me grin.
mdokaba1:

Comrade you like fine thing. Still in Kenya?

1 Like

Re: Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? by Cousin9999: 3:15am On Jan 18, 2022
Interesting. Good info.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nairalanders / Nigerians In Angola How Do You Survive? / Check Out The World's most dangerous Bridges / Bus from Onitsha To Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.