Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others (26888 Views)

Thief Who Steals Expensive Biscuits From Delta Supermarkets Caught (Photos) / 2 Women Who Hid Smuggled Foreign Rice In Their Body Caught (Photos) / Customs Seizes Foreign Rice, Vehicles Worth N145m In Niger State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by LosC: 1:19pm On Feb 20, 2020
Nigerian Customs Service has warned off supermarkets and shops in some parts of the country to stop patronising foreign rice and other prohibited goods.

“In our effort to suppress smuggling, the Nigerian Customs Service Kano/Jigawa area command deemed it fit to write and seek for your cooperation to stop patronising foreign rice and other prohibited items in your supermarket/shops to avoid being closed by customs operatives,” Kano/Jigawa area controller, Ahmed Nasir, said in a statement.

This warning comes months after the Nigerian government ordered the closure of its land borders.

Nigeria, without warning on 21 August, closed all its land borders two months ago to tackle smuggling, but the unprecedented move is affecting trade across the region.

Bustling borders have come to a standstill, with goods rotting and queues of lorries waiting at checkpoints in the hope the crossings will reopen but it has hopes are dashing already.
Despite the ban, foreign rice still saturates the Nigerian market.

Although, the customs authorities said Nigeria has gained from the closure, prices of food staples have risen steeply and legitimate businesses have been caught in the crossfire.
The country’s inflation has also been on the rise since August.

The government says the border closures will help boost local food production. But rice takes time to grow, harvest, process and sell, and the country’s farming industry may not keep up with the huge increase in demand.

“We are not yet ripe to close the border because we need years of investing in farmers so they can harvest enough for Nigeria,” said Ekpo Ain, a rice trader at the Sura market in Lagos.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/customs-to-close-supermarkets-shops-selling-foreign-rice-others/

1 Like

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by SLAP44: 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2020
Does this pot belly and triple chin look like it has been eating local rice? grin

239 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by cRobo: 1:24pm On Feb 20, 2020
Nigeria government want poor Nigerians to eat rice with stone

But House of Rep & Senate can't even accept Innoson motors because it is made in Nigeria

355 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by AgentNairaland(f): 1:49pm On Feb 20, 2020
Imagine Ooo See Customs Officers Don Turn Themselves To Foreign Rice Seller From The One They Seized

11 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Ifiegboria(m): 1:50pm On Feb 20, 2020
We don't have stone-free Nigerian rice.

21 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Coldie(m): 5:59pm On Feb 20, 2020
Its for the best

1 Like

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Zico5(m): 5:59pm On Feb 20, 2020
I wonder the relevance of the biggest revenue generating agencies such as NNPC, FIRS and customs if we continue to borrow just to finance budget. U may think I'm contradicting the thread but no. I keep on thinking on daily basis what's wrong as a country. We keep on closing border and the adverse effect is bitting hard on the populace. How far can we go with all these. The other time we learnt that custom is generating 5 billions daily and we are selling minimum of 2.3 million barrels of oil daily and still yet China is our saving grace. I keep wondering if there is any hope in this country at all.

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by ClassicMan202(m): 5:59pm On Feb 20, 2020
I still maintain my stand... Let's search the kitchens of the president, ministers, senators, governors and house of rep members.... If we see foreign rice there, we stone them to death.

173 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by dayleke: 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2020
Things are happening in dis kontiri o.

Do we even have a voice anymore?

Politicians dey do dia own....
SARS dey do dia own...
Customs too come dey flex.....

Na wah o...
Ko si sowo lode naa o....

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by NaijaOlosho(f): 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2020
grin
Custom boss don't even eat Nigerian rice

The poor don't have value in this useless country

Buhari eats foreign rice now forcing others to eat local rice wey sand sand full inside

undecided

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Validated: 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2020
They should go and man the borders and stop disturbing business.

14 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2020
they now want to take their madness to the shops...we dey wait

9 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Mistaicey2288: 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Na God go punish em... Àwọn werey. As if they're nkt corrupt themselves... If you visit this people's houses ehn especially their Bosses, they have foreign products in their houses which they seized from people. And that's how they collect insane amounts of money as bribes from people as well... Look at that one on the picture and see as him belle be sef. Mtcheeww..

9 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by mexxy1(m): 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Rather than man the borders properly, they'll be chasing people within the country seizing goods that passed through same borders they're supposed to be monitoring.

Nigeria is a failed state.

27 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Chamillionaire(m): 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Kindly contact me if you need juju to fight anybody

Pls patronize me :-

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by ideabuilder: 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Very good idea. Make every enjoy the stony rice
Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Bustincole(m): 6:01pm On Feb 20, 2020
Farmers be like ...

Thank God we will finally made it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by pointstores(m): 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
Nawa
Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by sirfemoz(m): 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
Nawao.. This is the real definition of winter is coming. Government have not really invested in making local rice better, but they are only making sure that the lower class eats stones in rice form.

9 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by FuckThaMod: 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
Make sure you also seize the new Toyota cars the house of reps wants to import angry
Bastards wants Nigerians to die of appendicitis by force angry

25 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Authoreety: 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
So foreign rice still dey
Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by olukaygold(m): 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
The rate I dey chop stones while eating rice no be play play ontop say I wan form as a true Nigerian by patronizing Nigeria made.while I was eating the Nigeria rice this afternoon, a thought just struck into my heart after I crushed one big stone for mouth say "hope appendix patience wont full Nigeria hospitals like this"

9 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by OlujobaSamuel: 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2020
Hmmmmmmm, abeg, is rice importation illegal
It was only closed to land border, so why the itch on rice importation abi custom no get wetin den wan do again

5 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by ikay00406(m): 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by okomile(f): 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2020
grin
Watching sitting on my apoti
How many supermarkets do they want to close??

Anyways, market dey to buy foreign rice. I can't come and kill myself for stone rice grin

2 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Sunofgod(m): 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2020
bastarrds....i must continue to chop foreign rice!

6 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by zoer(m): 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2020
If Buhari starts using innoson bulletproof car den i will buy local rice..... Leadership by example.....
If House of reps dir reject made in Nigeria na me go con use am?......Charity begins at home...

13 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by Foolishbuhari: 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2020
What if they are old stock?
If smuggled, how did they get into the country?

Customs has no legal standing raiding people's means of livelihood if they didn't do their jobs at the borders.

If this is allowed, they'd soon break into people's homes to search for foreign rice SMH!

13 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by dailynaijanews(m): 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2020
I thought the restriction is only on the importation via land borders

6 Likes

Re: Customs To Close Supermarkets, Shops Selling Foreign Rice, Others by batstan(m): 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2020
Agreed.
Do well, as to ban of importation of new vehicles for the legislature, since we have a local manufacturer.

angry

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hiny Umoren's Murder: CCCRN Demands Apology From David Hundeyin / 11-Year-Old Saanmoiyol Orbunde Declared Missing In Benue State (Photos) / Man Kidnaps Girlfriend With Toy Gun, Collects N2m, Accomplice Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.