Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,661 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month (27146 Views)

Showmax Pro Brings EPL Live-Streaming To Nigeria / How to Watch BBnaija 2019 Live Stream on Showmax Nigeria and Fees / What Are Your Best Movies/Series In 2017? See Mine (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by HappyNigerian: 1:07pm On Feb 21, 2020
8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month

ROCKETMAN
Rocketman, the fantastical musical biopic on Sir Elton John, scooped this year’s Oscar for Best Original Song for I’m Gonna Love Me Again, co-written by Elton and his long-time lyricist Bernie Taupin.   

Rock biopic meets musical fantasy in this fabulous rollercoaster of a movie about a little boy called Reginald Kenneth Dwight, who grew up to be one of the greatest musical icons of all time. It’s a celebration of the music, the dreams, and the larger-than-life persona that’s made Elton a legend. But it’s also the story of his struggle with addiction, and of his friendship with Bernie, which helped him through. 

As Elton, Taron Egerton won a Golden Globe and was nominated for BAFTA, Screen Actors Guild, People’s Choice and Teen Choice awards. The movie also stars BAFTA winner Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool), Golden Globe winner Richard Madden (Bodyguard, Game of Thrones), Golden Globe nominee Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurassic World) and BAFTA winner Gemma Jones (Bridget Jones’ Diary).

Rocketman was penned by Billy Elliot writer Lee Hall and directed by double-BAFTA Award nominee Dexter Fletcher (who took Bohemian Rhapsody to completion after Bryan Singer was fired).

As the Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus puts it, “It's going to be a long, long time before a rock biopic manages to capture the highs and lows of an artist's life like Rocketman.”

:: 2020 Oscar, Golden Globe and Critics Choice Award winner for Best Original Song for I’m Gonna Love Me Again 
:: Rocketman was nominated for a Golden Globe, a People’s Choice Award and four BAFTAs
:: 89% critics score, Rotten Tomatoes
:: The 39th biggest box office hit of 2019 globally, raking in over $195m 

THE WIFE
Celebrated author Joe Castleman is about to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature. As he travels to Stockholm, he’s accompanied to the event by his wife Joan. Through almost forty years, Joan has played her role as the Great Man’s Wife with grace and diplomacy, supporting his career, championing his work, overlooking his indiscretions, and ultimately, herself. The Wife is a simmering, intimate study of a marriage, of compromise, betrayal and devotion. 

Glenn Close received her seventh Oscar nomination, won a Golden Globe and was nominated for a BAFTA for her portrayal of Joan, with the London Evening Standard saying, “If ever a film belonged to an actor... this one belongs to Close.”

Oscar nominee Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes), Golden Globe winner Christian Slater (Mr. Robot), BAFTA nominee Harry Lloyd (The Theory of Everything, and Game of Thrones’ Viserys Targaryen) and Max Irons (Condor) also star, along with Close’s daughter, Annie Starke, who plays the younger Joan. 

:: 2019 Golden Globe winner for Best Actress (Glenn Close)
:: Nominated for an Oscar and a BAFTA for Best Actress (Glenn Close) 
:: 85% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes

AQUAMAN
Jason Momoa. There, we said it. What more do you need to know?
Seriously though, Aquaman tells the origin story of DC comic book hero Arthur Curry, who we saw in 2017’s Justice League. Born to Atlantean-queen mother Atlanna and a human father, Arthur has lived his whole life on land. But when his undersea half-brother, King Orm, threatens war on the surface dwellers, Arthur is called upon to fulfil his destiny and claim his rightful throne. 

The cast includes Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (Dr. Chase Meridian in Batman Forever), Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe (Green Goblin in 2002’s Spider-Man), Golden Globe nominee Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl in 2009’s Watchmen), Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Cal Abar in the new Watchmen), action legend Dolph Lundgren (Konstantin Kovar in Arrow), and Amber Heard (who - spoiler alert! - shared the MTV Movie + TV Best Kiss Award with Jason Momoa), reprising her role as Justice League’s Mera.  

The movie is directed by James Wan, who helmed Fast & Furious 7 (the Guinness World Record holder for grossing $1bn at the global box office in just 17 days) and is slated to direct Aquaman 2, announced for 2022.  

“Momoa’s Aquaman isn’t tortured and conflicted; he’s a badass, and he digs it,” says Slate. “Wan not only embraces the inherent silliness of a hero whose signature power is talking to fish; he revels in it, finding the childlike awesomeness at its core.”

:: 2019 Teen Choice, Kids Choice, MTV Movie Awards, and Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films nominee
:: #5, highest grossing films of 2018 worldwide

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD 
Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Oscar nominee Johnny Depp) has escaped and is gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Oscar nominee Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander (Oscar winner Eddie Redmayne). Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world. 

The movie is directed by David Yates (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), from a screenplay by J.K. Rowling, who is also a producer. The cast also includes Zoë Kravitz (Big Little Lies), Carmen Ejogo (Selma, True Detective) and Ezra Miller (The Perks of Being a Wallflower).

Crimes of Grindelwald “feels like an upgrade from its predecessor, one that adds star power, introduces key characters and lays the foundation for a genuine ‘Wizarding World’ franchise,” says CNN, while Associated Press called it “often dazzling, occasionally wondrous and always atmospheric”.

:: #10, highest grossing films of 2018 worldwide
:: 2019 BAFTA, Teen Choice, European Film Awards, and Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films nominee

I, TONYA
This Oscar-winning comedy drama is based on the life of figure skater Tonya Harding and the scandal that ended her career. Harding was the first American woman to pull off a triple axel in competition, but her success was overshadowed by her implication in the attack on rival skater Nancy Kerrigan in 1994. 

Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey, and a second-time Oscar nominee for Bombshell) was nominated for an Oscar for her performance as Harding, who never fitted the stereotype of what a ballerina was expected to be, and Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes from the Avengers movies) plays her dodgy ex-husband Jeff. But it’s Allison Janney (The Help, Hairspray, The West Wing), who skates away with all the glory in an Oscar-winning performance as Harding’s viciously ambitious mother, LaVona. 

NPR calls I, Tonya “the triple axel of based-on-true-story movies,” while the Wall Street Journal says it’s “an antidote to those feel-good films about innately noble athletes who manage to triumph over impossible odds.”

:: Allison Janney won an Oscar, a Golden Globe, a BAFTA and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Supporting Actress, with Margot Robbie nominated for all these for her lead role
:: Nominated for a 2018 Oscar for Best Editing
:: 89% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes

MOLLY’S GAME
Molly’s Game is based on the true story of former Olympic-class skier Molly Bloom, who ran the world’s most exclusive high-stakes poker game on little more than her wits until the FBI arrested her in a high-profile, middle-of-the-night sting that threatened everyone from Hollywood stars to the Russian mob.  

Molly’s Game stars two-time Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain (The Help, Interstellar), Golden Globe winner Idris Elba (Luther, Avengers), MTV Movie Award nominee Michael Cera (Juno), Oscar winner Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves), Critics Choice winner Jeremy Strong (Succession), and Emmy winner Chris O’Dowd (Bridesmaids).

Molly’s Game is the directorial debut of Aaron Sorkin, who created The West Wing and won an Oscar for The Social Network. He also wrote the script, which was nominated for an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a BAFTA for Best Adapted Screenplay.

IndieWire calls Molly’s Game a “staccato and silver-tongued drama that boasts a zillion killer lines, at least two of the year's most exciting performances, and a rare understanding of the difference between power and pride.” The Los Angeles Times says, “Chastain draws us so deeply into Molly's lightning-speed thought processes that you can almost see her synapses firing, making Molly's Game not just a biographical portrait but a genuine thriller of the mind.” And Time Out praised Molly’s portrayal “as a complex and razor-sharp character in a world dominated by entitled mansplainers,” saying, “Forget Rounders -- here's a poker movie to go all-in on.” 

:: Nominated for Best Adapted screenplay at the 2018 Oscars, Golden Globes and BAFTAs
:: Jessica Chastain was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress
:: 82% critics score, Rotten Tomatoes

ALL ABOUT NINA
Nina Geld has attitude, a brilliant stand-up routine, and the makings of what just might be about to turn into a decent career. Then her love life blows up, complicating everything. Looking to change her life (and escape her ex), she makes the move to LA and encounters a challenge she didn’t see coming in Rafe. 

The comedy-drama stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who’s in Birds of Prey, Fargo and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and won an Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films award for 10 Cloverfield Lane. “Winstead shines,” says Screen Daily, “She’s electric.”

Oscar winner Common (Selma) plays Rafe, and look out for Nailed it! star Nicole Byer, Golden Globe nominee Beau Bridges, Emmy nominees Jay Mohr and Mindy Sterling, and Veep star Clea DuVall.

All About Nina was the break-out first feature from writer-director Eva Vives, with The Hollywood Reporter calling her “a filmmaker to watch” and the critics’ consensus on Rotten Tomatoes saying, “Led by an outstanding central performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead and brilliantly held together by writer-director Eva Vives, All About Nina is a delightfully raw dramedy.”

:: Nominated for Best Narrative Feature at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival 
:: Mary Elizabeth Winstead was nominated for Bravest Performance at the 2019 Alliance of Women Film Journalists  Awards           
:: 86% Rotten Tomatoes

A SIMPLE FAVOR
When Connecticut small town mommy-vlogger Stephanie meets fellow mom Emily, she’s instantly beguiled. Emily is beautiful, funny, worldly and mysterious. Then she disappears, and Stephanie takes it upon herself to find out what happened her. 

Oscar nominee Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air, Pitch Perfect) and People’s Choice winner Blake Lively (Gossip Girl) star in this twisty mommy-noir directed by four-time Emmy nominee Paul Feig (Bridesmaids, The Office). Teen Choice nominee Henry Golding (Crazy Rich Asians) plays Emily’s husband Sean, and keep your eyes peeled for Emmy winner Jean Smart (Laurie Blake in Watchmen).

“Twisty, twisted, and above all simply fun, A Simple Favor casts a stylish mommy noir spell strengthened by potent performances from Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively,” says the Rotten Tomatoes critics’ consensus.

The New York Times calls A Simple Favor, “Sly and sweet with an acid finish,” while Seattle Times praised its “near-Hitchcockian tone of slinky ominousness, cut with the driest of wit,” and Rolling Stone says the film “brings out the scrappy best in Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively… an unexpected take on the twists and turns of female friendship.”

:: 85% Rotten Tomatoes
:: Winner of three international awards, including the Dorian Award for Campy Flick of the Year by The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by meobizy(f): 4:41pm On Feb 21, 2020
Majority of them are already on M-Net movies. Are there box sets of recent shows on the platform? Their offering to the Big Brother housemates was underwhelming, I didn’t see any attraction which caught my interest.

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Nairalandguru(m): 5:23am On Feb 22, 2020
All about NINA will be lit

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Nobody: 5:24am On Feb 22, 2020
The movies are not new but MOLLY's GAME is still worth it.. Jessica Chastain killed it..

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Froshloaded: 5:26am On Feb 22, 2020
Molly Games go Mk sense oo
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Nlearn: 5:30am On Feb 22, 2020
The List Are Ok..... Very Much Ok For mOVIe Fanatics and LOVERS

Well

Have You Visited NairaLearn.com today

Visit NairaLearn Now and start Your Online education, learn and earn online

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Dididrumz(m): 5:31am On Feb 22, 2020
Movie freaks
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Jestin: 5:39am On Feb 22, 2020
Someone should pls quote me the best movies to watch on Netflix this weekend.
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by ringi82(m): 5:41am On Feb 22, 2020
Rocket man is all about Elton John. I really liked his songs until I learnt he's gay. Not sounding homophobic, but I prefer movie biopic about straight men

9 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Dannyozs(m): 5:42am On Feb 22, 2020
Jestin:
Someone should pls quote me the best movies to watch on Netflix this weekend.
Umbrella Academy
Doom patrol(not sure if its on netflix)
The Boys (not on netflix, Amazon)
The witcher
Stranger things
Mr. Robot

*Most outstanding for me goes to "Dark". Its a very complicated yet detailed series on time travel, physics. Its brilliant and would test your I.Q make you want to question your existence. How the world works.

*Modified... These are series tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Nobody: 5:44am On Feb 22, 2020
.. Set awon space booker.. I no even get anytin important to talk.. I just book space for notin

Abeg I wan sell this my space

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by NigeriaBam: 5:46am On Feb 22, 2020
INTERESTING
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by cdyfoundation(m): 5:48am On Feb 22, 2020
Elton
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Passionate888: 5:50am On Feb 22, 2020
I have watched Molly's Game, it's an interesting movie.
Why stream when you can download and watch at your own leisure?
I no even get light sef.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Dannyozs(m): 5:54am On Feb 22, 2020
I feel like alot of movies in 2019/2020 where overrated, some just had great picture/setting/costume etc, some where just trying to push an agenda either SJ bullshit, feminism, lgbt etc and hence fail to deliver what Entertainment was all about.

Notably great movies 2019 include;
Parasite
Irishman
The lighthouse
Joker
John Wick 3
Alita
Crawl
Lion king
Long shot

*endgame was overrated undecided

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by cbrezy(m): 5:55am On Feb 22, 2020
The "Rocketman" is a cool biography movie of John Elton, I never knew this OG is an Homosexual after having all these wealth and it's know that he also has problem with shopping... cool

1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:58am On Feb 22, 2020
Talking about movies....

Movie Lovers : Can anyone send us a link to any NETFLIX thread on Nairaland.
If not, can one be created on this section ASAP?

Just for us to share/recommend movies wyou have watched on Netflix, instead of people having to scan over the 50,000 movies they have on there.

Just share the title of the movie and maybe a brief summary of how it went down.

Just to relax on an off day from work or a cool weekend for the family.

One we can recommend right now is : OKJA.
Very interesting movie!

Here is the summary :

For 10 idyllic years, young Mija has been caretaker and constant companion to Okja - a massive animal and an even bigger friend - at her home in the mountains of South Korea. But that changes when family-owned, multinational conglomerate Mirando Corporation takes Okja for themselves and transports her to New York, where an image-obsessed and self-promoting CEO has big plans for Mija's dearest friend. With no particular plan but single-minded in intent, Mija sets out on a rescue mission.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by GloShare(m): 6:05am On Feb 22, 2020
Lol...

Unbelievable list, especially when I saw Aquaman.

This one doesn't know movies.

8 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by dinocy(m): 6:06am On Feb 22, 2020
Nice movies but I don’t like that homosexual guy’s own
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by theoneJabulani(m): 6:07am On Feb 22, 2020
Fantastic beasts 2 is great, Eddie Redmayne was a joy to watch. He manages to portray a confident yet nerdy Newt Scamadar. Ezra Miller needs improvement though or maybe it's because I was looking at him through flash-coloured glasses
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Nobody: 6:16am On Feb 22, 2020
HappyNigerian:
8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month

ROCKETMAN
Rocketman, the fantastical musical biopic on Sir Elton John, scooped this year’s Oscar for Best Original Song for I’m Gonna Love Me Again, co-written by Elton and his long-time lyricist Bernie Taupin.   

Rock biopic meets musical fantasy in this fabulous rollercoaster of a movie about a little boy called Reginald Kenneth Dwight, who grew up to be one of the greatest musical icons of all time. It’s a celebration of the music, the dreams, and the larger-than-life persona that’s made Elton a legend. But it’s also the story of his struggle with addiction, and of his friendship with Bernie, which helped him through. 

As Elton, Taron Egerton won a Golden Globe and was nominated for BAFTA, Screen Actors Guild, People’s Choice and Teen Choice awards. The movie also stars BAFTA winner Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool), Golden Globe winner Richard Madden (Bodyguard, Game of Thrones), Golden Globe nominee Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurassic World) and BAFTA winner Gemma Jones (Bridget Jones’ Diary).

Rocketman was penned by Billy Elliot writer Lee Hall and directed by double-BAFTA Award nominee Dexter Fletcher (who took Bohemian Rhapsody to completion after Bryan Singer was fired).

As the Rotten Tomatoes critics consensus puts it, “It's going to be a long, long time before a rock biopic manages to capture the highs and lows of an artist's life like Rocketman.”

:: 2020 Oscar, Golden Globe and Critics Choice Award winner for Best Original Song for I’m Gonna Love Me Again 
:: Rocketman was nominated for a Golden Globe, a People’s Choice Award and four BAFTAs
:: 89% critics score, Rotten Tomatoes
:: The 39th biggest box office hit of 2019 globally, raking in over $195m 

THE WIFE
Celebrated author Joe Castleman is about to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature. As he travels to Stockholm, he’s accompanied to the event by his wife Joan. Through almost forty years, Joan has played her role as the Great Man’s Wife with grace and diplomacy, supporting his career, championing his work, overlooking his indiscretions, and ultimately, herself. The Wife is a simmering, intimate study of a marriage, of compromise, betrayal and devotion. 

Glenn Close received her seventh Oscar nomination, won a Golden Globe and was nominated for a BAFTA for her portrayal of Joan, with the London Evening Standard saying, “If ever a film belonged to an actor... this one belongs to Close.”

Oscar nominee Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes), Golden Globe winner Christian Slater (Mr. Robot), BAFTA nominee Harry Lloyd (The Theory of Everything, and Game of Thrones’ Viserys Targaryen) and Max Irons (Condor) also star, along with Close’s daughter, Annie Starke, who plays the younger Joan. 

:: 2019 Golden Globe winner for Best Actress (Glenn Close)
:: Nominated for an Oscar and a BAFTA for Best Actress (Glenn Close) 
:: 85% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes

AQUAMAN
Jason Momoa. There, we said it. What more do you need to know?
Seriously though, Aquaman tells the origin story of DC comic book hero Arthur Curry, who we saw in 2017’s Justice League. Born to Atlantean-queen mother Atlanna and a human father, Arthur has lived his whole life on land. But when his undersea half-brother, King Orm, threatens war on the surface dwellers, Arthur is called upon to fulfil his destiny and claim his rightful throne. 

The cast includes Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (Dr. Chase Meridian in Batman Forever), Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe (Green Goblin in 2002’s Spider-Man), Golden Globe nominee Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl in 2009’s Watchmen), Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Cal Abar in the new Watchmen), action legend Dolph Lundgren (Konstantin Kovar in Arrow), and Amber Heard (who - spoiler alert! - shared the MTV Movie + TV Best Kiss Award with Jason Momoa), reprising her role as Justice League’s Mera.  

The movie is directed by James Wan, who helmed Fast & Furious 7 (the Guinness World Record holder for grossing $1bn at the global box office in just 17 days) and is slated to direct Aquaman 2, announced for 2022.  

“Momoa’s Aquaman isn’t tortured and conflicted; he’s a badass, and he digs it,” says Slate. “Wan not only embraces the inherent silliness of a hero whose signature power is talking to fish; he revels in it, finding the childlike awesomeness at its core.”

:: 2019 Teen Choice, Kids Choice, MTV Movie Awards, and Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films nominee
:: #5, highest grossing films of 2018 worldwide

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD 
Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Oscar nominee Johnny Depp) has escaped and is gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore (Oscar nominee Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander (Oscar winner Eddie Redmayne). Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world. 

The movie is directed by David Yates (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), from a screenplay by J.K. Rowling, who is also a producer. The cast also includes Zoë Kravitz (Big Little Lies), Carmen Ejogo (Selma, True Detective) and Ezra Miller (The Perks of Being a Wallflower).

Crimes of Grindelwald “feels like an upgrade from its predecessor, one that adds star power, introduces key characters and lays the foundation for a genuine ‘Wizarding World’ franchise,” says CNN, while Associated Press called it “often dazzling, occasionally wondrous and always atmospheric”.

:: #10, highest grossing films of 2018 worldwide
:: 2019 BAFTA, Teen Choice, European Film Awards, and Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films nominee

I, TONYA
This Oscar-winning comedy drama is based on the life of figure skater Tonya Harding and the scandal that ended her career. Harding was the first American woman to pull off a triple axel in competition, but her success was overshadowed by her implication in the attack on rival skater Nancy Kerrigan in 1994. 

Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn in Birds of Prey, and a second-time Oscar nominee for Bombshell) was nominated for an Oscar for her performance as Harding, who never fitted the stereotype of what a ballerina was expected to be, and Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes from the Avengers movies) plays her dodgy ex-husband Jeff. But it’s Allison Janney (The Help, Hairspray, The West Wing), who skates away with all the glory in an Oscar-winning performance as Harding’s viciously ambitious mother, LaVona. 

NPR calls I, Tonya “the triple axel of based-on-true-story movies,” while the Wall Street Journal says it’s “an antidote to those feel-good films about innately noble athletes who manage to triumph over impossible odds.”

:: Allison Janney won an Oscar, a Golden Globe, a BAFTA and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Supporting Actress, with Margot Robbie nominated for all these for her lead role
:: Nominated for a 2018 Oscar for Best Editing
:: 89% critics rating, Rotten Tomatoes

MOLLY’S GAME
Molly’s Game is based on the true story of former Olympic-class skier Molly Bloom, who ran the world’s most exclusive high-stakes poker game on little more than her wits until the FBI arrested her in a high-profile, middle-of-the-night sting that threatened everyone from Hollywood stars to the Russian mob.  

Molly’s Game stars two-time Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain (The Help, Interstellar), Golden Globe winner Idris Elba (Luther, Avengers), MTV Movie Award nominee Michael Cera (Juno), Oscar winner Kevin Costner (Dances With Wolves), Critics Choice winner Jeremy Strong (Succession), and Emmy winner Chris O’Dowd (Bridesmaids).

Molly’s Game is the directorial debut of Aaron Sorkin, who created The West Wing and won an Oscar for The Social Network. He also wrote the script, which was nominated for an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a BAFTA for Best Adapted Screenplay.

IndieWire calls Molly’s Game a “staccato and silver-tongued drama that boasts a zillion killer lines, at least two of the year's most exciting performances, and a rare understanding of the difference between power and pride.” The Los Angeles Times says, “Chastain draws us so deeply into Molly's lightning-speed thought processes that you can almost see her synapses firing, making Molly's Game not just a biographical portrait but a genuine thriller of the mind.” And Time Out praised Molly’s portrayal “as a complex and razor-sharp character in a world dominated by entitled mansplainers,” saying, “Forget Rounders -- here's a poker movie to go all-in on.” 

:: Nominated for Best Adapted screenplay at the 2018 Oscars, Golden Globes and BAFTAs
:: Jessica Chastain was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress
:: 82% critics score, Rotten Tomatoes

ALL ABOUT NINA
Nina Geld has attitude, a brilliant stand-up routine, and the makings of what just might be about to turn into a decent career. Then her love life blows up, complicating everything. Looking to change her life (and escape her ex), she makes the move to LA and encounters a challenge she didn’t see coming in Rafe. 

The comedy-drama stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who’s in Birds of Prey, Fargo and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and won an Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films award for 10 Cloverfield Lane. “Winstead shines,” says Screen Daily, “She’s electric.”

Oscar winner Common (Selma) plays Rafe, and look out for Nailed it! star Nicole Byer, Golden Globe nominee Beau Bridges, Emmy nominees Jay Mohr and Mindy Sterling, and Veep star Clea DuVall.

All About Nina was the break-out first feature from writer-director Eva Vives, with The Hollywood Reporter calling her “a filmmaker to watch” and the critics’ consensus on Rotten Tomatoes saying, “Led by an outstanding central performance from Mary Elizabeth Winstead and brilliantly held together by writer-director Eva Vives, All About Nina is a delightfully raw dramedy.”

:: Nominated for Best Narrative Feature at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival 
:: Mary Elizabeth Winstead was nominated for Bravest Performance at the 2019 Alliance of Women Film Journalists  Awards           
:: 86% Rotten Tomatoes

A SIMPLE FAVOR
When Connecticut small town mommy-vlogger Stephanie meets fellow mom Emily, she’s instantly beguiled. Emily is beautiful, funny, worldly and mysterious. Then she disappears, and Stephanie takes it upon herself to find out what happened her. 

Oscar nominee Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air, Pitch Perfect) and People’s Choice winner Blake Lively (Gossip Girl) star in this twisty mommy-noir directed by four-time Emmy nominee Paul Feig (Bridesmaids, The Office). Teen Choice nominee Henry Golding (Crazy Rich Asians) plays Emily’s husband Sean, and keep your eyes peeled for Emmy winner Jean Smart (Laurie Blake in Watchmen).

“Twisty, twisted, and above all simply fun, A Simple Favor casts a stylish mommy noir spell strengthened by potent performances from Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively,” says the Rotten Tomatoes critics’ consensus.

The New York Times calls A Simple Favor, “Sly and sweet with an acid finish,” while Seattle Times praised its “near-Hitchcockian tone of slinky ominousness, cut with the driest of wit,” and Rolling Stone says the film “brings out the scrappy best in Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively… an unexpected take on the twists and turns of female friendship.”

:: 85% Rotten Tomatoes
:: Winner of three international awards, including the Dorian Award for Campy Flick of the Year by The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics

Rocketman is a Gay movie.
I'm very sure of that.
Elton john is a homosexual.
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Incandescent(m): 6:20am On Feb 22, 2020
Sponsored nonsense
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by moscobabs(m): 6:28am On Feb 22, 2020
Watch "The fall from Grace" and thank me later

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by money121(m): 6:33am On Feb 22, 2020
Ok
Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Gmajor(m): 6:37am On Feb 22, 2020
What year was this post created, because, I can't believe that it was created in February 2020.
All these movies are either snoozefests or are kinda dated.
It's obvious that whoever created this list has very terrible taste in movies.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by NACE13: 6:43am On Feb 22, 2020
I am 200% sure someone will quote the whole post, just to put one or two lines of reply, just wait and..... I never even type finish sef.
I don't know what people gain when they quote the whole post for Pete's sake. I am so tempted to curse this fellow right now undecided

12 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Raychelle24(f): 7:21am On Feb 22, 2020
[quote author=moscobabs post=86854094]Watch "The fall from Grace" and thank me later[/that movie was quite interesting but i expected more . I just felt it should have been continued .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Joystark(f): 7:23am On Feb 22, 2020
Froshloaded:
Molly Games go Mk sense oo

E make sense die.
Felt a little like Wolf of Wall Street.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by Renforce: 7:30am On Feb 22, 2020
Having these film isn't an issue. Where's the electric power to watch them? this is Why at Ren Solar Hub we offer unlimited and budget power solutions for all your basic appliances and more

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Best Movies To Stream On Showmax This Month by goat22: 7:31am On Feb 22, 2020
Esseite:
The movies are not new but MOLLY's GAME is still worth it.. Jessica Chastain killed it..

I think Meg Turntable did better in the movie. Her and Oliver Sustainable.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBNaija: Tobi Wins ‘Ultimate Head Of House’ / BBNaija: Frodd, Tacha, Tuoyo, Mike And Seyi Up For Possible Eviction On Sunday / Arin: Why Angel, Sammie’s Relationship Will Not Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.